Vamoots DR vs. CR
    RoadBikeReview Member

Question Vamoots DR vs. CR

Hello fellow Moots lovers!

I have been lusting over Moots for the past 4 years or so, and I even visited the factory in Steamboat Springs the past 2 summers.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Vamoots CR last summer, but wanted to wait to see what would happen with road disc brake technology.
    Since TI is considered a lifetime frame; I just did not want to buy a rim brake bike and be stuck unable to buy new groupsets for it in the future.

Now that I waited they released the DR. I am fairly sure disc brakes are catching on, and I think that is the route to go so that I can continue to buy new groupsets in the decades to come.

I am not very keen at looking at geometry specs and comparing them.....so does the DR have a similar geometry as the CR?

I am looking for a do it all road bike that can handle everything from a 20 mile hammer fest to 50 mile group rides to even solo century rides.
    I doubt it will see and unpaved surfaces.

What does RBR think???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looking at the size 54 specs the DR has a *slightly* lower BB, and a 2cm taller headtube. Its frontend geo with the 43mm fork rake and 62mm trail runs decidedly towards stability. The .5cm longer CS follows along those lines. Seems like a Strada Bianca style gravel friendly roadbike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you for the input!
    How far off is that geometry from a "performance" road bike like a cannondale evo, trek madone, pinarello dogma, etc.???

RoadBikeReview Member
    IMO *many* riders coming from neutral front geo need to learn how to turn a 60mm+ trail front end. Others adapt with no issues, some never do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    If you want a true "do it all" road bike, check out the PsychloX. When I was looking for something similar (club rides, solo rides, touring, gravel), I spoke to Moots on the phone last winter, and they said the updated PsychloX fit the bill perfectly. It's essentially the same bike as the Vamoots DR, but just built a bit burlier, to cover the touring & gravel aspects. I ordered a Psychlo X from their recommendation and had it built by July....& its been nothing short of stellar thus far.

Re-Cyclist
    Since I don't tour or ride gravel, the DR was perfect for me. Built it up from frame a couple of months ago. UDi2, hyd disc brakes. DT Swiss carbon wheelset, Lynskey Ti post. Stem has since been replaced with a titanium one with Ti spacers. Zip Service Course bars, Toupe Pro saddle. What a smooth ride!

click image to enlarge.

moots1-blkstm.jpg
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful bike Special Eyes!!! That is exactly what I am envisioning; except mechanical ultergra group with maybe a DA crank.

What kind/lengths of riding do you use it for?
    How does it compare to any other road bike you have owned?

Re-Cyclist
    Thanks, JC. I currently have four road bikes, but I should only have two since two are replacements for the other two that I should sell. For a few years I've been riding a carbon S-Works Tarmac SL3 and a Lynsey R330. I have always liked them both, but I somehow seem a bit more comfortable on the Lynskey. The S Works may be faster, but I'm not a racer and do my usual average speeds on either one. This past summer I got a Colnago CX Zero Disc w/ Di2, and really took a liking to the electronic shifting and the discs. I found the ride a bit harsher than expected, but still pleasurable. But I really needed to know how those components would work on a Ti frame, and hoped to be pleased. I finally found the Moots frame and after a fun build, I was far more delighted with the ride than expected. What a perfect combination of metal and parts. It's hard to ride the others now! I get about 400 miles a month if I ride regularly, typically 35 milers on some weekdays and 50-60 or more on weekends. Elevation gains per ride are from 2k to 3.5K. I also have a Ti Salsa mtn bike, frame made by Lynskey for them. Yeah, I like Ti!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you for the great info!

I just have one more question since you are one of the few i know of that can compare a pro peleton worthy carbon S-works Tarmac SL3 to the Vamoots DR.
    Does your body position on the Vamoots feel similar to the "racey position" that the SL3 is designed for; or does that Vamoots make you feel more "upright" like a cyclocross bike/relaxed geometry comfort bike?

Thanks again,
    Jon

Re-Cyclist
    Jon, you can set it up that way if you like. The seat to bars height differential is about 1.5 inches between those bikes, as I have them set up. Since the seat height is the same across all my bikes (relative to crank centerline) that means the the S Works is a slightly lower hand position and a bit more racy I suppose. I would not consider any of my bikes to be considered 'upright'. To answer your question. yes, I do feel 'racey' on the Vamoots. But I'm sure there are racier setups than mine. I do not race, just like to try to do my best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Perfect! Sounds like what i am after!
    I love the racy geometry as i am currently riding a Madone and a Cannondale CAAD10. I am wanting a TI bike, but i want disc brakes and i would like to keep it in the same geometry realm as the Madone, and your SL3.
    Seems like a lot of Ti and disc bikes are more tailored for touring and comfort over 30 mile hammer fest machines.

I do not tour and will only ride on paved roads so getting a touring or CX style frame is not what i am wanting or looking for.

Thanks again,
    Jon