Bicycling Mag gives Positive Review of Motobecane LeChampion Ti SL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Bicycling Mag gives Positive Review of Motobecane LeChampion Ti SL

For those who have not seen it yet, the latest Bicycling Magazine reviewed the Motobecane LeChampion Ti SL. They have great things to say about the bike and thought it a great value at the list price of $4,495. The thing I find strange is that they never mention the real price of $1,999 (delivered). Also, the bikesdirect "compare to" price is $4,100. I am curious where the $4,495 list price came from. The magazine never mentions "street" prices in their reviews, and I assume it is because most of the major brands are sold primarily through dealer networks, so the street prices vary. But still, it seems odd that there would be no reference to bikesdirect nor the real price. Mike, if you read this, I think you are missing an opportunity here. Can you imagine what they would have said if they where comparing the bike to the real price (I assume they knew what it was but did not mention it). True, bikesdirect regularly advertises in the magazine, and anyone who does a quick web search would find bikesdirect, so maybe it's not that big a deal. While I have not bought a bike from bikesdirect (a colleague of mine recently did and had a good experience) I think they have a great business model. And for those who complain about the "lack of soul" of their bikes they sell, I did not see any mention of a lack of soul in the review ;) They also review the Kestrel Talon and had great things to say about that bike too. Here is a link to the LeChamp Ti SL review.

http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail...2733-0,00.html

Moderatus Puisne
    Wait wait wait, you DID just say that you didn't notice a mention of "lack of soul" in a BICYCLING MAGAZINE write-up, right? ;)

The inflated list price -- the one no one ever pays -- is the standard part of Bikesdirect's business model. You see it a lot in other businesses, too, it's just less common in the bike industry.

Everyone talks MSRP in magazines, it would be gauche to mention "Well, the MSRP is $2000, but you can get a Superhyperon Megabike down at Tony's for only 500 bucks!"

It does make a little hard to compare apples (conventionally distributed product) to oranges (manufacturer-distributors like BD) , but, I think anyone reading the article will quickly figure out how it works, if they don't already know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010

Cool They gonna sell out for sure!

I am hoping to buy one of these later this year, and when I got my Bicycling mag yesterday I thought "oh, crap! Now everyone's gonna want one!" And for good reason! I would order one today but haven't talked to my wifey about it yet... Oh, well, I guess it'll wait another season...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the post and the comments

I am excited about our Ti bikes - which always sell out quick. I am working on increasing availability without any compromise in quality. With Ti the quality is very clear and I think in time everyone will notice that Motobecane Ti is every bit as good as brands like Litespeed and others who sell frames for $2000 to $3000 for the frames alone.

For this summer we hope to get in more Shimano le Champion Ti versions: and add Rival, Force, and Red versions also.
    mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Ghandi

The Gimlet Eye
    Link to a negative bike review at Bicycling magazine please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Just ordered one of the Ti SL's myself. Due here monday, i'm excited. Wish I had know about the sram versions in the works, but it doesn't really matter as I wanted to have something ready for when the weather starts to warm up. Almost bought the Dura Ace version, but seeing as this is my first road bike, I figured I was already going a little overboard. I do wish the SL's had the Dura Ace versions graphics though.

Quote Originally Posted by covenant
    LOL!

I think you'd have to go back to 198....wait....I don't think they've EVER done a negative review.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystichrome
    Just ordered one of the Ti SL's myself. Due here monday, i'm excited. Wish I had know about the sram versions in the works, but it doesn't really matter as I wanted to have something ready for when the weather starts to warm up. Almost bought the Dura Ace version, but seeing as this is my first road bike, I figured I was already going a little overboard. I do wish the SL's had the Dura Ace versions graphics though.
    I ordered it a month ago too and it's coming on monday. I agree with your thoughts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    If you read carefully, despite its introduction, it reads very much like the reviewer never actually rode the bike. I mean no disrespect to BD--- but rather toward the mag.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Good plan...

Mike - good plan. You don't want to go Toyota on us and have to recall all of your bikes because of sticking pedals!

Good Person

I've seen less-than-stellar reviews. I'll try to find a few.
    I like when you get to that point and I don’t know if it’s the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize you’re so far from where you started, that you’re finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

Good Person
    Also, I think it is getting pretty hard to buy a crappy bike these days, unless you are buying a big box store bike. I think that for the most part, most bikes at a certain pricepoint are comparable and produce what they advertise for the price. Generally, a $900 Trek is the same as a $900 Jamis is the same as a $900 Giant, and so forth. I think bikesdirect bikes fit this description as well, except that sometimes a $900 Motobecane is the same as a $1500 Specialized, $1500 Bianchi, etc....
    I like when you get to that point and I don’t know if it’s the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize you’re so far from where you started, that you’re finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    If you read carefully, despite its introduction, it reads very much like the reviewer never actually rode the bike. I mean no disrespect to BD--- but rather toward the mag.

I agree the reveiw could have more detail. And the Bicycling people who talked to my guy about this bike did make some really growing statements about the ride which I wish were included. We think at least 3 different people at Bicycling road this sample bike; and we sent a totally new bike; and when returned it appears to have 1000 miles on it.

Plus the statement "And suitably, Le Champion climbs well, descends with confidence and never feels dead or sluggish under power despite being noticeably comfortable over the harshest broken asphalt or gravel roads. " sounds like it was made after at least a ride or two.

Of course, I wish the reveiw was even more over the top - but I think it is a well done reveiw; even though it did not say the framework was 'stunning' as some magazines have published.

I have in the works 7 more different Ti models to add to the 8 we alreay have. I hope that over the next few years Motobecane Ti models will be reveiwed by magazines and buyers alike on a regular basis.

Next Ti Review I expect out is on the Fly Ti XX 29er
    http://www.motobecane.com/29/ft29xx.html

IMHO - Motobecane Ti bikes are one of the best values in the bicycle industry.
    mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Ghandi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    I have in the works 7 more different Ti models to add to the 8 we alreay have. I hope that over the next few years Motobecane Ti models will be reveiwed by magazines and buyers alike on a regular basis.

Next Ti Review I expect out is on the Fly Ti XX 29er
    http://www.motobecane.com/29/ft29xx.html

IMHO - Motobecane Ti bikes are one of the best values in the bicycle industry.
    That may be just be my next Mountain bike. I can't wait to get some more info on the other models you're working on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Talking Moto Rival

I couldn't wait for the BD ti Rival so I built my own. Bought the frameset before the price went up and added Rival and Mavic ES wheels. For what I've got into this you couldn't even get a Moots frameset and I cannot believe the Moots could ride any better. This is my sixth ti bike and is one of the best riding and nicest to look at. Go for it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Been meaning to post all week, but didn't get to it. Got mine monday and I'm very pleased. It was well packed and survived the journey just fine. Needed some adjustment of the derailers and I struggled with the getting the rear brake cable into the cable stops until I realized I needed to remove the rear wheel. After that, piece of cake. Haven't gotten to checking the trueness of the wheels just yet, but at a glance, they seem fine. I'm pretty small and went with the 48cm and man is this thing light. Haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, but I feel confident that in the case of my 48cm, it will fall reasonably close to the claimed 16.4 lbs, though I suspect closer to 17lbs.

Welds look great and I can't find any major disappointments. The saddle is a little hard on me, but this is my first road bike and I suspect I just need to toughen up. I imagined the handlebars would be a little wider than they are, but again, this is my first road bike, so I wasn't positive what to expect. One thing I wasn't expecting, was that the stem would be as short as it is. I had to raise the stem a bit higher than is probably normal in order for my garmin to clear the steerer tube. I really didn't like the idea of mounting the garmin to the bars. Just seems more protected on the stem. The stem length seems appropriate for me though, just was a little surprised since this was a non-issue on my mountain bike. Apples and Oranges though.

Weather here in Maryland has been rough, so I've only ridden it on the trainer and I'm still getting used to the more aggressive posture as opposed to a mountain bike, but I'm looking forward to getting it out on some pavement. I'm sure I'll be very pleased. I do want to clarify to mike about my previous statement about the graphics and how I prefer the those on the Team model. I just want to state that it's not that I want to make it less noticeable that I'm riding a Motobecane, I just prefer a less stand out look. One of the things I like about Ti bikes in general. I know others have brought up the graphics before and I know many people remove theirs all together. I just wanted to state that it's not an issue with being ashamed(at least for me). The guys I ride with will tell you that I've talked non-stop about this bike even prior to getting it. As soon as money permits I'll be piking up a Motobecane Ti 29er as well.

All in all, I have no regrets about buying this bike. Well other than the little voice in the back of my head that says "did you really need to spend that much" or "you could have gotten by with the cheaper one". But that has nothing to do with the quality of the bike, only my conscience working overtime. Once the credit card bill is paid and not looming over my head, my conscience will quit and I'll still be very happy.

RoadBikeReview Member

Way to go Mike!!!!!

I was excited as well to see a Kestrel gracing the cover of this month's issue. This is the brand I now ride, an rt800 (not the talon they tested) but it is from BD, so its spec'd out WAY better than the one they reviewed so glowingly. And then to see the second bike in the bang for your buck segment was a Motobecane...Mike, you have my permission to swell your chest to several times its normal size. 2 bikes in 1 issue, both listed as being among the best bikes on the road! And for the record, this is the same mag that recently tested the new Madone as well as Pinarello's latest and greatest race machine.

As for the lack of negative reviews - notice how many bikes this mag does NOT review; I think (and this is only my guess) that Bicycling simply doesn't publish reviews of bikes they do not find satisfactory. An attempt to not torque off any potential subscribers <---again, speculation on my part.

Congratulations to Mike and all the guys at Bikes Direct, this is a definite sign that you are doing something right!
    ~Corbitt~ pedal, pedal, pedal

Quote Originally Posted by twobournes
    I was excited as well to see a Kestrel gracing the cover of this month's issue. This is the brand I now ride, an rt800 (not the talon they tested) but it is from BD, so its spec'd out WAY better than the one they reviewed so glowingly. And then to see the second bike in the bang for your buck segment was a Motobecane...Mike, you have my permission to swell your chest to several times its normal size. 2 bikes in 1 issue, both listed as being among the best bikes on the road! And for the record, this is the same mag that recently tested the new Madone as well as Pinarello's latest and greatest race machine.

As for the lack of negative reviews - notice how many bikes this mag does NOT review; I think (and this is only my guess) that Bicycling simply doesn't publish reviews of bikes they do not find satisfactory. An attempt to not torque off any potential subscribers <---again, speculation on my part.

Congratulations to Mike and all the guys at Bikes Direct, this is a definite sign that you are doing something right!
    You DO realize, I hope, that a Kestrel is a Kestrel. Kestrel specs the parts on their bikes, NOT BikesDirect...

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twobournes

Thank you
    I am very happy with how magazines are treating all bikes these days; and I am happy that they note that Motos are good deals at MSRP.

I hope that I can get some magazines in test the new Motobecane lugged steel Gran Premio line - which will include only full group Rival, Red, Ultegra, and DA bikes - most with chrome lugs and such. I think these full 4130 bikes [including fork] will offer some cyclists classic alternatives in ride, looks, and durability. I like choices: so I think mags testing steel and Ti in addition to the 'norma' AL & CF makes for a better cycling community.

We are proud to sell both Kestral and Motobecane bikes and I feel they are amoung the highest quality bikes offered today; and as long as I can get deals on them I know they are super values for our customers.
    mike
    ~~~~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bicycling has an older review for the Le Champion CF as well.

This just in!

Bicycling Magazine gives Positive Review of genital warts!

The Gimlet Eye
    Quote Originally Posted by thechriswebb
    I've seen less-than-stellar reviews. I'll try to find a few.
    Still waiting....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Still waiting....
    He's trying to find something wrong first, then he'll write the article.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    I just feel bad for anyone who still bothers to read Bicycling magazine.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock
    I just feel bad for anyone who still bothers to read Bicycling magazine.

I do think Bicycling is still the biggest selling magazine in the bicycle industry; and if it gets people interested in owning and riding biks, I am all for it.

I am happy the Bicycling picked 5 road bikes that they thought were great values and that a Motobecane was in that group.

I think another good source for shoppers comparing bikes is the site by ROAD magazine

http://www.roadbikebuyersguide.com/

we have a lot of shoppers who use that site to do side by side comparisons
    very useful
    mike
    ~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast