Windsor "The Hour", Moto - "Messenger", Mercier - "Kilo". Differences???
    RoadBikeReview Member

Windsor "The Hour", Moto - "Messenger", Mercier - "Kilo". Differences???

Am getting interested in these and trying to find why one is more money - the Windsor "Hour" the least at $299 (no brakes), the Moto "Messenger" with brakes at $349, Mericer "Kilo" at $349 (no brakes).

All have 4130 Cromo steel frame and fork with virtually identical parts. I understand the add on brakes between the Windsor "Hour" and Moto "Messenger" but the Mercier "Kilo"? Where is the $50 difference?

Mike, could you explain?

Got Force?
    That's a good question! I will say though that the Messenger comes in the Orange color as well. I really like the Orange that Motobecane uses. Should look like the Sprint.

For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo da Vinci

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by midlife_xs's
    Am getting interested in these and trying to find why one is more money - the Windsor "Hour" the least at $299 (no brakes), the Moto "Messenger" with brakes at $349, Mericer "Kilo" at $349 (no brakes).

All have 4130 Cromo steel frame and fork with virtually identical parts. I understand the add on brakes between the Windsor "Hour" and Moto "Messenger" but the Mercier "Kilo"? Where is the $50 difference?

Mike, could you explain?
    The Hour and Messenger are not very different; message has brakes

KILO TT is very different; Reynolds 520 frame and one of the nicest forks I have ever seen on a Track bike

All three are very popular
    We are sold out most the time
    however Kilo TT and Messenger are landing in a few days or so
    The Hour is in stock [some colors sold out]

We stocked up for winter; as we sell a lot of these during the winter

Mike
    mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Ghandi

sometimereader
    Quote Originally Posted by sonex305
    I really like the Orange that Motobecane uses. Should look like the Sprint.
    Hey, that's my bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    The Hour and Messenger are not very different; message has brakes

KILO TT is very different; Reynolds 520 frame and one of the nicest forks I have ever seen on a Track bike

All three are very popular
    We are sold out most the time
    however Kilo TT and Messenger are landing in a few days or so
    The Hour is in stock [some colors sold out]

We stocked up for winter; as we sell a lot of these during the winter

Mike
    I am willing to pay the extra $50 for upgraded tubes. I believe you should include the Reynolds tubing in the discriptions to set it apart.
    Also, what is the crankarm length for a size 50 on the Mercier Kilo? Details like crankarm and stem lengths for specific sizes on the website would be informative to potential buyers and this may also save unnecessary emails.

Thank you.

As always, your presence here is invaluable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am willing to pay the extra $50 for upgraded tubes. I believe you should include the Reynolds tubing in the discriptions to set it apart.
    Also, what is the crankarm length for a size 50 on the Mercier Kilo? Details like crankarm and stem lengths for specific sizes on the website would be informative to potential buyers and this may also save unnecessary emails.

Thank you.

As always, your presence here is invaluable.
    Frame tubing: The crazy thing about this is the factory sometimes leaves the 520 decal off - then nexct time on - then next run off. But it is always the same frame. Sometimes they mail us the Reynolds Decals -- just nuts; so we do not even list it. We sell out all the time anyway

I am fairly sure the crank arms are 170mm
    but you might need to e-mail our tech guys
    most bikes we try to post somewhere crank,stem, bars
    but the thing is: specs are subject to change without notices and customers find that hard to understand. However, every bike maker lists that as sometimes factories sub parts without notice. {rare - but it happens]

Anyway, Kilo TT is real popular
    this link has over 1000 postys and 50,000 views on the KiloTT
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=305822
    worth it just to see all the various pictures of modifications people have done to personalize them
    mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Ghandi

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect

Anyway, Kilo TT is real popular
    this link has over 1000 postys and 50,000 views on the KiloTT
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=305822
    FYI

It is generally considered inappropriate to link a competing forum. Not that big of a deal, just not polite.
    ---- - ------------

Got Force?
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimerider
    Hey, that's my bike!
    I guess I just gave you some props then, didn't I!? I really like that orange color.
    For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo da Vinci

*puff*
    Aug 2006
    fwiw...i got a messenger as a gift last holiday season and i've been happy with it. weak points in my opinion are the brake levers, brake calipers, brake pads, and tires. everything else is decent and i can bear with. i've since removed the levers, and only kept the original caliper. brake leaver is now a bmx goldfinger, and i swapped the pads to dura-ace - no more squeals, and it grabs. tires have also been swapped. the hubs are decent and so are the wheels. for $350, the messenger's a deal. mine's orange too if that matters.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=110878

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wchane
    fwiw...i got a messenger as a gift last holiday season and i've been happy with it. weak points in my opinion are the brake levers, brake calipers, brake pads, and tires. everything else is decent and i can bear with. i've since removed the levers, and only kept the original caliper. brake leaver is now a bmx goldfinger, and i swapped the pads to dura-ace - no more squeals, and it grabs. tires have also been swapped. the hubs are decent and so are the wheels. for $350, the messenger's a deal. mine's orange too if that matters.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=110878
    These are very nice pics. (Hope you don't mind my cutting and pasting them here.) Are you a professional photographer?
    With your Messenger's pictures on BD's website, Mike will have to triple the inventory.

Suggestion for Mike - I read that messenger bikes are becoming popular, wouldn't it be great if you can equip the Messenge/Kilo with the Goldfinger brakes just like wchane's.
    Last edited by midlife_xs's; 08-31-2009 at 06:20 PM.

*puff*
    Aug 2006
    These are very nice pics. (Hope you don't mind my cutting and pasting them here.) Are you a professional photographer?
    With your Messenger's pictures on BD's website, Mike will have to triple the inventory.

Suggestion for Mike - I read that messenger bikes are becoming popular, wouldn't it be great if you can equip the Messenge/Kilo with the Goldfinger brakes just like wchane's.
    hah! thanks for the ego-boosting words, there's no living with me now!

i'm not a photographer, just a velo nut with a mod bug with access to a nice camera and some fine glass. one note about the gold finger, although it looks cool (in my opinion of course) it really cuts back on some functionality, i still catch myself using two fingers rather then the one it's designed for - maybe the 'dirty harry' would be a more suited application.

bikes are fun, enjoy them.

The Gimlet Eye
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool Biker
    FYI

It is generally considered inappropriate to link a competing forum. Not that big of a deal, just not polite.
    Who says??? Most of the people here are also members at BF.

There's no competition, it's a community.