Boston to Quabbin Reservoir
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020

Boston to Quabbin Reservoir

I'm starting to plan out a ride from Boston (Medford) to Shutesbury on the western side of the Quabbin Reservoir. Its ~90 miles so I plan to ride out, stay a night or two, then head back. Seems the most direct route is along 62 and 117, does anyone have any alternatives or words of caution along theses stretches? Also, any bike shop recommendations along the way are appreciated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Check ride with gps there should be route on there

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    "Seems the most direct route is along 62 and 117, does anyone have any alternatives or words of caution along theses stretches?"

Ordinarily I'd say definitely don't do that.
    But last weekend I was feeling pretty tired and gambled on the most direct rt from Lancaster into Boston and it was 117 and in this current atmosphere of low traffic it was actually pretty good.

I'd probably still avoid 117 on weekdays though. Lots of trucks use it.

I second looking at ride with GPS or similar. Lots of people ride out there, not necessarily staring in Boston/Medford though but I'm sure someone has posted segments that would help you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I live in Acton and ride out towards Wachusett/Princeton often. While 117 to 62 looks like and probably is the most direct route I would not ride 117 except in small sections where absolutely necessary. Maybe as Jay says with reduced traffic its ok but normally its pretty busy and the traffic is moving fast. And its not particularly nice. Depending on how you are planning on getting out of Boston I think a good route is to use Trapello Rd from Belmot to Lincoln. Then you can pick from lots of routes going west through concord, harvard and lancaster. Ridewithgps or rides out of ride studio cafe come to mind. Most people I know would rather go parallel to 117 and 62 on back roads until you get to Sterling even though its longer and more hilly. Then 62 to Princeton. If you're going north of the Quabbin I'd also recommend staying off 202. You can jump across it and go south on back roads although there might be some gravel. Depending where you're going in Shutesbury it might be just as easy to go south of the Quabbin and come up through Amherst. If you want I can send ridewithgps routes I use to get out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I was on 117 again yesterday around Bolton. I need to back off the optimism because it sucked. I must have gotten lucky last week. (and again during the week a lot of big trucks are on that road so it would only be worse during the week).

I'd definitely try to come up with another way.
    Although parts of 117 and 62 are decent and pretty fast/fun. If you do plan a route where those roads look like the best option for a few miles maybe try to look at the segment on google street view to decide.

I'm not saying it's so bad you should panic if you find yourself on 117 or 62 or add a tone of distance to avoid them for periods, but I'd definitely invest the time to come up with a route that doesn't use them exclusively.

Good luck.