Troy Vt Area riding
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Troy Vt Area riding

So I will be visiting the Troy area over the holiday weekend.
    Can anyone recommend some good riding routs? any good shops to check out, and Must do roads? are there any group rides in the area?

Thanks for any advice.

zac
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know how serious a rider you are, but you have some of the best climbs in New England just a very short warmup away. Anything headed toward Jay Peak is awesome. Rt 100 toward Lowell and Eden and loop back up through Route 242. You are in for some hard climbing, but nonetheless spectacular rides. You really can't go wrong. Just be careful, alot of the numbered State routes are 55mph and rolling with curves and small shoulders.

Edit: I recommend 242 from east to west. The road leading up to Jay Peak from the Jay side (east) is in poor condition and it is steep, making high speed descent unpleasant at best and some of the switch backs can really sneak up on you too. The west access side is in better shape and more condusive to higher speed descent. But I haven't ridden 242 on a bike (many times in vehicle) in two years so maybe someone will pipe in with some more recent conditions.

Zac

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Bring It on

Hey thanks for responding.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I am looking, I want some serious climbing.
    What would you recommend for something like a 3-4 hour ride?

Quote Originally Posted by zac
    I don't know how serious a rider you are, but you have some of the best climbs in New England just a very short warmup away. Anything headed toward Jay Peak is awesome. Rt 100 toward Lowell and Eden and loop back up through Route 242. You are in for some hard climbing, but nonetheless spectacular rides. You really can't go wrong. Just be careful, alot of the numbered State routes are 55mph and rolling with curves and small shoulders.

Edit: I recommend 242 from east to west. The road leading up to Jay Peak from the Jay side (east) is in poor condition and it is steep, making high speed descent unpleasant at best and some of the switch backs can really sneak up on you too. The west access side is in better shape and more condusive to higher speed descent. But I haven't ridden 242 on a bike (many times in vehicle) in two years so maybe someone will pipe in with some more recent conditions.

Zac

zac
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Well if you really want to get adventurous.

Head out toward Rt 5 and south to Barton (Rt 5 runs along the Barton River basin, which is a South to North flowing river!) and pretty flat and easy, from there any road east or west will involve climbing.

Note, the roads around Lake Willoughy and Memphremagog are beautiful and involve all sorts of climbing. You may run into some unpaved, but they are generally very hard packed and in pretty good shape.

In Barton, take Rt 16 south through Glover (if you want take the road upto West Glover, there is a cute little village up there with a general store It is about a 1.5 mile and steep climb, any road left comes back to Rt 16). Back out on Rt 16 turn left onto Rt 122...serious climbing for the next 2.5 miles, followed by 40+mph descent into Sheffield and Wheelock, for the next 7 miles or so. Take all the way back to Rt 5 near Lyndonville, cross Rt 5 and I believe it is Rt 114 towad Burke Mt. You will cross a very narrow bridge. Take the mountain road up to Burke Mountain. The mountain road is considered one of the tougher eastern climbs and may require special gearing. I can do in a 39/25, but its hard.

To continue northeast on 114 is boring, but once you get to Brighton/Island Pond 105 is a great road and will take you back to home. The city of Newport is developed and you will get traffic, but it is a nice town.

if you look on a map you will see the Town of Newark just east of Lake Willoughby, I used to live there. My house was at over 2000' of elevation and most of the Town of Newark is the same, although most of the roads are unimproved. You can easily get lost, but there is some serious climbing to be had.

Closer to Troy for you, pretty much stay away from NE of your position, eg Newport, as you will meet lots of traffic. (of course that is a relative term if you come from a big city, then the Newport traffic is somewhat sedate.)

Anything west is scenic, remote and beautiful. Think typical Vermont. Cow pastures, and farm after farm.

Jay peak is part of the Lowell Mountain Range and rises up from the high plains to the east. Any road going west from your location is going to involve climbing and lots of it.
    Route 105 from Jay to Richford then south to Montgomery involves some incredibly steep (but thankfully short sections). The route is wonderfully scenic the roads are in good shape.

Really you cant go wrong headed west, or south. When in doubt go up!

Good Luck and have fun

Zac

Apr 2005
    Take the mountain road up to Burke Mountain. The mountain road is considered one of the tougher eastern climbs and may require special gearing. I can do in a 39/25, but its hard.

Zac
    Considering it averages 15%, hard may be a bit of an understatement. You are a stud if you can do it in 39/25.

zac
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Not really. Any strong climber could do it too. I wouldnt say stud, just a guy who likes to climb. I won't say I never weaved, but on a good day it was a straight shot. Only the last 2.5 miles of the climb are hard (the toll road itself - The Climb to the top is at Burke Mountain, and is privately owned), whereas something like 242 at Jay, you are climbing at 9+% for miles and miles. You're definately not maintaining a descent cadence up. The begining part just after you get on the toll road is the steepest section, and it's long and pretty straight up, that part is hard. Once you get into the switchbacks, a couple of them are really hard to turn the cranks over, but you get a bit of relief between them. You just have to jump on it.

I didn't realize it was only 15% - the beginning section (of the toll road) feels steeper.

Likewise I haven't climbed it in a few years, as I stick closer to home now (No longer in VT)

My point was that it is doable in your lowest gear for a strong rider. If you were going to do it for time, then special gearing would be a must, probably something approaching even 1 to 1. I don't ride a triple or a compact, but if that climb was a regular portion of my route, I would invest in one or the other pronto.

Zac

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Hey there,

Thanks for all of the advice.
    That route sounds like fun, but I didn't have the time that it would require.

I ended up riding up 242 towards Jay that's a nice climb especially the last section where it gets pretty steep, and then down to Montgomery, then up 118 which was surprisingly flat, and then to 105 and up that climb, which I think might have been longer that the climb up to Jay, but not as steep, and back around to north troy.
    Overall it was a great ride with two serious climbs and lots of rollers, and you were right, no traffic to speak of, I hope to get back up there some time and do some more riding, maybe try Burke.
    From where I was staying outside of North Troy it was a 55 mile circuit.

Well if you really want to get adventurous.

Head out toward Rt 5 and south to Barton (Rt 5 runs along the Barton River basin, which is a South to North flowing river!) and pretty flat and easy, from there any road east or west will involve climbing.

Note, the roads around Lake Willoughy and Memphremagog are beautiful and involve all sorts of climbing. You may run into some unpaved, but they are generally very hard packed and in pretty good shape.

In Barton, take Rt 16 south through Glover (if you want take the road upto West Glover, there is a cute little village up there with a general store It is about a 1.5 mile and steep climb, any road left comes back to Rt 16). Back out on Rt 16 turn left onto Rt 122...serious climbing for the next 2.5 miles, followed by 40+mph descent into Sheffield and Wheelock, for the next 7 miles or so. Take all the way back to Rt 5 near Lyndonville, cross Rt 5 and I believe it is Rt 114 towad Burke Mt. You will cross a very narrow bridge. Take the mountain road up to Burke Mountain. The mountain road is considered one of the tougher eastern climbs and may require special gearing. I can do in a 39/25, but its hard.

To continue northeast on 114 is boring, but once you get to Brighton/Island Pond 105 is a great road and will take you back to home. The city of Newport is developed and you will get traffic, but it is a nice town.

if you look on a map you will see the Town of Newark just east of Lake Willoughby, I used to live there. My house was at over 2000' of elevation and most of the Town of Newark is the same, although most of the roads are unimproved. You can easily get lost, but there is some serious climbing to be had.

Closer to Troy for you, pretty much stay away from NE of your position, eg Newport, as you will meet lots of traffic. (of course that is a relative term if you come from a big city, then the Newport traffic is somewhat sedate.)

Anything west is scenic, remote and beautiful. Think typical Vermont. Cow pastures, and farm after farm.

Jay peak is part of the Lowell Mountain Range and rises up from the high plains to the east. Any road going west from your location is going to involve climbing and lots of it.
    Route 105 from Jay to Richford then south to Montgomery involves some incredibly steep (but thankfully short sections). The route is wonderfully scenic the roads are in good shape.

Really you cant go wrong headed west, or south. When in doubt go up!

Good Luck and have fun

Zac