How are conditions on Mott Farm Road near Tomkins Cove?
    jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

How are conditions on Mott Farm Road near Tomkins Cove?

I've been eyeing this route for awhile but a bit hesitant to try it because of the lack of shoulder I'm seeing on Google maps. I would be approaching Mott Farm Road from 9W and entering on the east end then looping back to 9W to take me back to Brooklyn.

Any advice on vehicle traffic, best route back to 9W, difficulty of climbs, etc, would be appreciated. I did the round trip from Brooklyn to Bear Mountain summit a few weekends ago as a point of comparison. Harder, easier?

Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Well, it seems strange for you to be worrying about the lack of shoulder on a local, low-traffic road if you're coming from Brooklyn. By the time you get to Mott Farm Rd, you've already cycled far more dangerous roads, including parts of 9W that don't have any shoulder and people routinely exceed 50 mph (or more). Mott Farm road, and the rest of the local roads in Tomkins Cove/Stony Pt have far less, and far slower, traffic. I've never had any issue on those roads, people are much more familiar with cycle traffic than they were 20 years ago, believe me, and know better how to drive around cyclists. You still get the occasional yahoo who will pass when they shouldn't, but with the low traffic and the low speeds due to hills and curves, it isn't a serious problem.

To get back to 9W:
    - short route, after the initial climb on Mott Farm road (not very steep), turn left on Buckberg Mtn. road (very steep climb, though not very long), this road will bring you back to the Cove deli, after a descent.
    - longer route: continue on Mott Farm rd past Buckberg Mtn road to T-intersection with Cedar Flats/Bulsontown road. Turn left on Bulsontown road, (gradual climb) once you pass Franck road on the left you'll descend, Wayne ave. will join from the left at an acute angle, immediately after that road joins take a left on W. Main St., that will take you back to 9W just N of the bridge in Stony Pt. (I think it is the Liberty bridge?).

There are other routes, including riding up to Harriman (at Mott Farm rd T-intersection with Bulsontown/Cedar Flats, turn right (instead of left) on Cedar Flats road (steep initial climb that is short), then down to end of the road at Gate Hill Rd, then right up Gate Hill Road to Willow Grove Road (some steep climbing), then right up into Harriman (more climbing) or left on Willow Grove, which you can take back to 9W).

Lots of nice twisty, hilly low traffic roads in Tomkins Cove/Stony Pt. to explore.

-----------

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks D&MsDad great information. I was mainly concerned about some of the tight curves that might limit the sight lines for drivers. Good to know people are aware/respectful of cyclists as they drive on the local roads.

The longer route that includes Bulsontown Road looks really nice I'll most likely follow those cues.

Really appreciate the detailed reply.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    To get out of the 9W rut, try going a little West to County Road (Hudson Terr, left on E. Palisades Ave, right on Woodland to end, left on E. Clinton, bear right at light to get on County rd).
    You can follow that road (turns into Piermont Rd) to Piermont, then either go East on Ferdon to Piermont Ave up through Nyack and back to 9W, or go West on 340 to Western Highway, follow Western Hwy to end, then left on W. Nyack road, right on Strawtown (after a couple of miles on Strawtown, turn right to continue on Strawtown instead of straight on Brewery), cross over 304, another mile or so either turn right on Haverstraw rd/South Mountain Road to get back to 9W, or turn left for a couple miles and then turn right on Little Tor (up and over High Tor, a steep climb), right on 202, left on Central Hwy, then right and you're back on 9W in Stony Point just before the bridge.

9W can be fun, but there are other ways to go. All of the roads I've mentioned are rideable, difficult to provide turn-by-turn instructions in a post, look at Google maps, the general directions above should give you some good ideas.

The roads to avoid in Rockland are 303, 59, 304, most parts of 202, and 9W between Sparkill and Nyack (IMHO). Most of the rest of the roads are rideable.

-----

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like to leave from Piermont and just take 9W, although I would love if they'd fix the shoulder leading to the Helix.

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by D&MsDad View Post
    To get out of the 9W rut, try going a little West to County Road (Hudson Terr, left on E. Palisades Ave, right on Woodland to end, left on E. Clinton, bear right at light to get on County rd).
    You can follow that road (turns into Piermont Rd) to Piermont, then either go East on Ferdon to Piermont Ave up through Nyack and back to 9W, or go West on 340 to Western Highway, follow Western Hwy to end, then left on W. Nyack road, right on Strawtown (after a couple of miles on Strawtown, turn right to continue on Strawtown instead of straight on Brewery), cross over 304, another mile or so either turn right on Haverstraw rd/South Mountain Road to get back to 9W, or turn left for a couple miles and then turn right on Little Tor (up and over High Tor, a steep climb), right on 202, left on Central Hwy, then right and you're back on 9W in Stony Point just before the bridge.

9W can be fun, but there are other ways to go. All of the roads I've mentioned are rideable, difficult to provide turn-by-turn instructions in a post, look at Google maps, the general directions above should give you some good ideas.

The roads to avoid in Rockland are 303, 59, 304, most parts of 202, and 9W between Sparkill and Nyack (IMHO). Most of the rest of the roads are rideable.

-----
    Ah yes, "9W rut" is an apt description. I will often take Henry Hudson drive (aka River Road) or the Woodland route to avoid that stretch of 9W, but I've always swung back to 9W at E. Clinton. I should definitely check out Piermont Road.

Coming from the city, it's really helpful to get detailed knowledge of local roads. The list of roads to avoid helps tremendously, too.

Thanks much!

jta
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I believe you're talking about the road between Congers and Haverstraw? Yeah, it's pretty bad, with a lot of debris. Some of the potholes come up pretty fast on the descent, so you have to be careful.

The rough section between Upper Nyack and Congers was just repaved and it's fantastic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    I believe you're talking about the road between Congers and Haverstraw? Yeah, it's pretty bad, with a lot of debris. Some of the potholes come up pretty fast on the descent, so you have to be careful.

The rough section between Upper Nyack and Congers was just repaved and it's fantastic.
    Yup, that's the spot I'm talking about. Easily the sketchiest part of that ride, both directions.

Yes! Love that it was finally paved!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    To avoid that part of 9W, it's pretty easy to take Lake Road (either one, the one at the South end of Rockland Lake, or the one at the North end) across 303 to Kings Highway. Then take Kings Highway North to Congers road and either continue straight on Old Haverstraw Road to 304, right on 304 back to 9W, or when Kings Highway intersects Congers Road, go West down the hill to Ridge Road, and up Ridge Road as described above.

As you can tell, I try to avoid 9W where possible, it gets boring and there are several alternatives.

At one time, the trail along the Hudson starting at Nyack beach was rideable (slow, certainly, but rideable) to Riverside Ave in Haverstraw, but after Sandy it was no longer possible. I haven't tried it in a long while, I don't know if they've fixed it. Obviously you could never do it in the summer when there is a lot of foot traffic (at least I wouldn't), but in colder weather it was doable. Maybe I'll check it out when it gets colder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I alos ride up from Brooklyn, riding on Mott Fram road or Bucksberg is really no problem at all.
    Also yeah that path down by Nyack lake state park is fine to ride now as long as you go slow and dont mind dealing with all of the dog walkers.