Amgen Tour of California 2019
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709

    Amgen Tour of California 2019

    Host cities announced... No Mount Diablo but probably Mount Hamilton.

    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...st+City+Unveil

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Host cities announced... No Mount Diablo but probably Mount Hamilton.

    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...st+City+Unveil
    Maybe can ride out and catch the Mt. Hamilton descent. Might have to scope out some possible viewing locations before then.

  3. #3
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709
    The descent's no good, they whoosh by too fast. Gotta head over to the other side and catch them climbing.

    Usually pretty good crowd on the Hamilton climb. Not so big it's a pain but enough to make it festive.

    Route isn't confirmed yet but I hope they do Ham. Not really sure how they'd get from Stockton to Morgan Hill without it and they mention the altitude that matches it.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    447
    The linked Amgen post states "climbers will face […] the Diablo Mountain Range outside Stockton where they will reach an elevation of 4,625 feet." Mount Hamilton only reaches an elevation of 4,265 feet. Typo?

    Also, what would be the likely route from Stockton to Morgan Hill? If they descend Quimby, a great spot to view the race would be the uphill section of Quimby starting at HW130/Mount Hamilton Road.

  5. #5
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709
    They've come down Quimby at least once before and it makes sense. That spot you mention is a great idea. There's a hairpin on the back side of Mt. Hamilton I like to sit at if they go that way.

    Anyway my guess would be down to Patterson, Del Puerto Canyon > San Antonio Valley Rd (up and over Mt. Ham) > down Mt. Ham > down Quimby... but we'll have to wait and see.

    That route would essentially be 130+ miles with 8500 feet of climbing.

    Or they could go through Livermore and go up Mines road... 130+ miles and 10000+ feet of climbing.

    Either way, Mt. Hamilton in the way but they're still saying expect a sprint finish?

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    390
    What about the Rancho to South Lake? A couple of options, I'm not sure if they'll do the one where they go right over to Nevada and then back that grade from Nevada and drop straight into South Lake or what.

    Plan is to spend a few days in Tahoe and ride some stuff before watching them on the Monday.

  7. #7
    Darling of The Lounge
    Reputation: Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    4,274
    I sure miss the ToC ITT stages in and around Solvang. Hopefully they'll consider it again in the future.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 768Q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by SNS1938 View Post
    What about the Rancho to South Lake? A couple of options, I'm not sure if they'll do the one where they go right over to Nevada and then back that grade from Nevada and drop straight into South Lake or what.

    Plan is to spend a few days in Tahoe and ride some stuff before watching them on the Monday.
    Do you mean Mt Rose from the Reno side? Rode that early this year at Stetina's Sierra Prospect, would love to see them all go up that. 16 miles of climbing ;-)

  9. #9
    JSR
    JSR is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I sure miss the ToC ITT stages in and around Solvang. Hopefully they'll consider it again in the future.
    I’ve been to a couple of those. Big crowds, loads of fun. Plus the route is my all time favorite for wine tasting by bike!

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by 768Q View Post
    Do you mean Mt Rose from the Reno side? Rode that early this year at Stetina's Sierra Prospect, would love to see them all go up that. 16 miles of climbing ;-)
    No, I think/thoguht they did that other climb that drops right into south lake. I'll have to google it again.

    Any idea when the actual routes come out?

  11. #11
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709
    Stage 2: Mostly up Highway 88/89, as if going to Kirkwood and then South Tahoe.
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...-2-may-13-2019

    Stage 3: Going through Livermore, up Mines! On the other side, it's down Quimby.
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...-3-may-14-2019

    Here is the whole 2019 route overview site:
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...route-overview
    Last edited by jetdog9; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:17 PM.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    447
    Just looked at the start list: https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...er-5-13-18.pdf An awesome roster of world-class sprinters!

  13. #13
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709
    That was last year... they haven't announced this year's teams and riders yet. There will be top level World Tour riders, but I wonder if there will be less of the elite sprinters with all the climbing. Sagan has always done this race, wonder if he will this time....

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    447
    Sorry, my bad. Got snookered by the date at the top of this page: https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/the-race/teams

    If Sagan and a healthy Cavendish show up, it should be interesting.

  15. #15
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709
    Velonews article on the race, they say it should still be mainly a sprinters' race and top contenders are expected:

    https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/ana...ifornia_483194

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    447
    2019 list of participating teams is out:
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/the-race/teams

    Per Cyclingnews, many top sprinters will be participating:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour...ces-2019-teams

    Our company, Splunk Inc. is the tech sponsor for Trek-Segafredo (Splunk> logo on sleeves and bum) so I might be able to participate in the VIP section for the Stockton to Morgan Hill stage! If not, I'll view from the intersection of Quimby and Mt. Hamilton Rd.
    Last edited by Number9; 03-19-2019 at 01:58 AM.

  17. #17
    ivh
    ivh is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2

    Time to arrive for Hamilton ascent/descent

    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Stage 2: Mostly up Highway 88/89, as if going to Kirkwood and then South Tahoe.
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...-2-may-13-2019

    Stage 3: Going through Livermore, up Mines! On the other side, it's down Quimby.
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...e-3-may-14-201

    Here is the whole 2019 route overview site:
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.co...route-overview
    Any recommendations for what time to arrive atop Hamilton if you want to watch the end of the ascent?

  18. #18
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709
    Mt. Ham KOM is estimated 1:54 PM - 2:18 PM... You will want to be quite early to find a good spot and beat traffic control.

    Location Miles Ridden Miles to Go Time
    Rider Sign In - Stockton N/A N/A 8:50 AM - 9:50 AM
    Race Start - Stockton 0 129.2 mi 10:05 AM
    Patterson Pass Rd Summit - KOM (C2) 33.2 mi 96 mi 11:44 AM - 11:54 AM
    Mines Rd - Sprint 44.7 mi 84.5 mi 12:08 PM - 12:20 PM
    Mines Rd Summit - KOM (C3) 47.8 mi 81.4 mi 12:15 PM - 12:28 PM
    San Antonio Valley Rd Summit 1 - KOM (C3) 74.9 mi 54.4 mi 1:18 PM - 1:40 PM
    San Antonio Valley Rd Summit 2 - KOM (C3) 81.4 mi 47.8 mi 1:33 PM - 1:57 PM
    Mt. Hamilton - KOM (HC) 86.7 mi 42.6 mi 1:54 PM - 2:18 PM
    Quimby Rd Summit - KOM (C2) 99.1 mi 30.1 mi 2:17 PM - 2:41 PM
    San Jose - Sprint 115.9 mi 13.4 mi 2:53 PM - 3:22 PM
    Race Finish - Morgan Hill 129.2 mi 0 3:40 PM Estimated*

  19. #19
    ivh
    ivh is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Mt. Ham KOM is estimated 1:54 PM - 2:18 PM... You will want to be quite early to find a good spot and beat traffic control.

    Location Miles Ridden Miles to Go Time
    Rider Sign In - Stockton N/A N/A 8:50 AM - 9:50 AM
    Race Start - Stockton 0 129.2 mi 10:05 AM
    Patterson Pass Rd Summit - KOM (C2) 33.2 mi 96 mi 11:44 AM - 11:54 AM
    Mines Rd - Sprint 44.7 mi 84.5 mi 12:08 PM - 12:20 PM
    Mines Rd Summit - KOM (C3) 47.8 mi 81.4 mi 12:15 PM - 12:28 PM
    San Antonio Valley Rd Summit 1 - KOM (C3) 74.9 mi 54.4 mi 1:18 PM - 1:40 PM
    San Antonio Valley Rd Summit 2 - KOM (C3) 81.4 mi 47.8 mi 1:33 PM - 1:57 PM
    Mt. Hamilton - KOM (HC) 86.7 mi 42.6 mi 1:54 PM - 2:18 PM
    Quimby Rd Summit - KOM (C2) 99.1 mi 30.1 mi 2:17 PM - 2:41 PM
    San Jose - Sprint 115.9 mi 13.4 mi 2:53 PM - 3:22 PM
    Race Finish - Morgan Hill 129.2 mi 0 3:40 PM Estimated*
    @jetdog9: awesome, thanks for the (very detailed) data!

  20. #20
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709
    No problem. They used to have these cool cue sheets in PDF format but stopped doing that (I think they still have PDF maps but the cue sheets were really specific). They still have these time estimates on the website for each stage's page, you just have to find the right info tab.

  21. #21
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709
    Not going to make it to my usual favorite spot on Mt. Hamilton backside, but going to ride up Mines to the Junction with a couple friends, pull over when the race catches us...

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    447
    Amgen Tour of California 2019-dsc_0231_sm.jpgAmgen Tour of California 2019-dsc_0235_sm.jpgAmgen Tour of California 2019-dsc_0321_sm.jpgAmgen Tour of California 2019-dsc_0327_sm.jpgAmgen Tour of California 2019-dsc_0328_sm.jpgThese were taken from HW130 near Quimby. Eventual stage winner Rémi Cavagna being chased by the peloton. Quimby is an objectively difficult descent but Rémi made it look even worse than it is. Not a great descender...

  23. #23
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,709
    Nice, we ended up on Mines near the top of the climb by the Junction.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2018, 04:14 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2018, 04:12 PM
  3. 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter vs. 2019 Canyon Grail cyclocross bike
    By hartley1 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2018, 01:23 PM
  4. 2019 Argon 18 Dark Matter vs. 2019 Canyon Grail cyclocross bike
    By hartley1 in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2018, 12:00 PM
  5. RBR TdF 2019 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2019
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2018, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.