Scenic Cycling/Camping In Switzerland?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Scenic Cycling/Camping In Switzerland?

Travelling by car from Digne Les Bains in the French Alps, home to Prague on the 14th-18th July, and was wondering what the most scenic roads in Switzerland, Sthn Germany, Austria are?
    I will have my road bike and am planning to ride some roads in the mornings and drive during the day. Hence, a need for scenic mountain roads to ride on. I would prefer smaller roads especially in Switzerland, distances up to 100km, for riding. Any suggestions?

Also, anybody with experience camping in these areas? I will have a tent and sleeping bag and would prefer camp grounds to lying beside the road. Roughly how much for camp grounds per night? Any good ones?

Cheers,
    Alex

Lurkaholic

Die Schweiz

Quote Originally Posted by afie
    Travelling by car from Digne Les Bains in the French Alps, home to Prague on the 14th-18th July, and was wondering what the most scenic roads in Switzerland, Sthn Germany, Austria are?
    I will have my road bike and am planning to ride some roads in the mornings and drive during the day. Hence, a need for scenic mountain roads to ride on. I would prefer smaller roads especially in Switzerland, distances up to 100km, for riding. Any suggestions?

Also, anybody with experience camping in these areas? I will have a tent and sleeping bag and would prefer camp grounds to lying beside the road. Roughly how much for camp grounds per night? Any good ones?

Cheers,
    Alex
    SWITZERLAND

Its a magic place for road riding if you are well prepared.

Its all a matter of how much time you have, how far you wish to travel and what sort of terrain you want to ride. If you like the flats stick to the north of the country, but the scenery is not special. If you like the mountains then I would recommend coming through the Grimsel, Furka and Oberalp passes (awsome scenery) and through to Chur. From Chur you can decide which way you want to get back to Austria (follow the Rhein north and go to Germany, direct east via Arlberg or go south and come back through South Tirol).

As for morning rides be prepared with detailed maps. The road system is quite intricate but in the mountains your options for short "round" trips are limited. Grades can often average 10-12%. Carry lots of money (at least 80 francs/ 50 euro) with you for emergencies (taxis,trains, buses here are not cheap). In Switzerland, don't expect locals, especially outside the cities, to speak much english.
    "It takes two to lie, one to lie and one to listen" Homer J. Simpson

RoadBikeReview Member

Swiss Riding

I just returned from the Neuchatel area. Great riding and drivers are friendly towards cyclists. I ended up riding about 275km over the 11 days I was there. I did one 125km ride, several 50-60km rides and several 10-25km rides.

Photo 1: This is a photo of the Juras from the east side of Lac Neuchatel. We rode around the lake (approx 125km). In the large (9,000 pixel) version you can see my buddy coming up the road.

Photo 2: We started along the bike path to see the lake and the vineyards and then onto regular roads.

Photo 3: Water is regularly available in every village.

mbb
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mattbikeboy; 07-13-2005 at 05:54 PM.