Any other Montagner (Mon - tan - yair) owners out there? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Sweet!

That's the exact same frame I have, Oria Gm 0.0 tubing, only mine looks to be larger (60cm). Is that the original fork? I'd love to see some bigger pictures. Beautiful bike!

Mine will get restored sometime when the money situation improves; I took a 10% pay cut this year, so food and vet bills come first. Here's mine: https://s231.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC00079.jpg and https://s231.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC00078.jpg . Please excuse the mess, kitty toys, etc. That's a 1989 Schwinn Waterford True Temper-tubed Paramount OS in the background. As you can see, the Montagner is a mess, but will be restored to glory sometime.

Here's what little I know.

Luigi Montagner made frames in the 1980s, and possibly into the very early 1990s. He used all types of tubing, but is probably best known here in the states for his Oria-tubed frames, imported by William Lewis Imports. They stopped carrying his frames by 1991, as I recall writing them about buying one and was told that they were no longer carrying them. I do recall a letter from William Lewis stating that there were two distinct levels of frame, even within the same tubing, as some had better quality lugs than others. It was on en end of year clearance flyer, but other than that, I can't recollect. Dummy me, I waited for the next year to buy the better quality frame, and by that time they were no longer carrying them. There is an internet story that 'ol Luigi was busted for drug possession or sales, but who knows if that story is accurate or not, Like so much you hear on the interweb, it could be, or not. At any rate, he went out of business. His frames were ridden by the Polish team at the 1986 Worlds at Colorado Springs, hence the 1986 decal.

The bottom bracket is a cast Cinelli piece, and the dropouts should be Campagnolo, although there was an SLX-tubed Montagner on the Bay of Evil once with Suntour dropouts (I watch for these things as I'm always looking to pick up another Montagner). I'm guessing that your bike's spread is about 120-126 mm? Mine is 120 mm, dating it from the mid-80s.

Check out the external ribbing on your frame. On mine, the ribbing is off-center. You would think that a framebuilder would place the ribs on the centerline, or perhaps more in a star pattern with the ribs at sometime like fortyfive degrees, but no - mine are off center, maybe at twenty to thirty degrees. Just curious, is your's like that?

Robert

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Hi all... Sorry to revive a year old thread but I just got my Montagner together and thought I'd share.

It's a 58cm Oria tubed road frame.
    She's a little rough as far as the paint/decals go, but the plan was for a bike on a budget that could be ridden all over, not a show-piece. Anyway the frame looks like it was completely chromed before paint, and the bare patches show no sign of rust, so I'll probably keep it like this for a season or 2 and maybe repaint it after that. I just need to ride it for a while first.

I drooled over the article listed earlier as a teenager and have always wanted a Montagner equipped like the one in the review.

I stumbled across the frame locally and built it up over the last month or so, trying to be as faithful as possible to the article. I even went a little stupid and ran C-Record housings and NOS Benotto tape.

Thanks for looking,
    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Beautiful! Never apologize for sharing a Montagner! It looks like you just need a head tube decal.

I know what you mean about wanting one like the Bicycling article. I have the Oria GM 0.0-tubed frame awaiting restoration, and I've been slowly collecting Campy Chorus parts to make one just like that, although mine will have slightly different colors. https://s231.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSC00078.jpg

I can confirm that mine is also fully chromed, even under the paint. It looks like something that Montagenr did, although the main triangle looks like its chromed in a different metal than the shiny chrome, perhaps nickel? Its a darker, slightly more brushed shade of metal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice work, good to see it complete.

When I stripped my Montagner the chrome was only 3/4 on the stays and just the tips on the forks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Monty chrome

I think he at the very least took the chroming to the nickle plating level for my entire frame. The shiny layer of chrome, the actual chromium is the last part of the process and is usually real thin. The parts that are showing through the paint on my frame look like polished nickle... But paint doesn't really stick too well to chrome so a brushed nickle surface would probably be best.

I don't know, I'm just guessing until I take it down like that funny-bike frame of yours.

Thanks for the compliments. I can't wait to put some miles on it. It still needs a little tuning.

I also got a chorus aero seatpost in 27.2mm that dropped right in the first couple inches but then hung up. So I'm reduced to running a SR Laprade 27.0 post. Kind of bummed about that one. It was so close... I was actually thinking, given how pricey Campy aero posts are and how close it is, maybe reaming it to 27.2 would be a good idea. I just don't want to mess anything up. I bet it's like 27.1 right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Be very careful. I think you need a 26.4 mm seatpost. Oria ML.25 (the creased tubing like your's, full-montagner) and GM 0.0 had the same diameter seat tubes. They almost certainly require the same seat post.

You can get the tube specs here http://steelrenaissance.blogspot.com...-results=20and here http://campagnolodelta.blogspot.com/...max-results=20 . They'll show that the diameters of the two tubesets were identical, and I know my GM 0.0 frame uses a 26.4 mm post. Unless there was something wonky that Oria did with working the tubing afterwards, I'll bet the ML.25 would use the same.

I'd take the bike to a shop and get the official word from them. Using the wrong sized seatpost can do bad things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aptivaboy View Post
    Be very careful. I think you need a 26.4 mm seatpost. Oria ML.25 (the creased tubing like your's, full-montagner) and GM 0.0 had the same diameter seat tubes. They almost certainly require the same seat post.

I'd take the bike to a shop and get the official word from them. Using the wrong sized seatpost can do bad things.
    Interesting... Mine still has paint in the tube and my LBS confirmed it was a loose 27.0...

It looks a little oval at the top before the crimping starts too.

But from the chart, a 27.2 post would leave a .7 wall, which would fall within the .55/.75 wall thickness, on the high-end.

I'm a pretty big guy and definitely wouldn't want to weaken it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Hi gents...hope you don't mind another!

I picked this up yesterday and haven't decided what I'm doing with it. I've heard there were different levels of these bikes and this tubing, mine seems to be on the higher end of the scale from what I'm seeing. I haven't tried cleaning the chrome yet, but I'm hoping I can remove some of the pitting.

It's a beauty and I'd like to keep it...but I also have too many bikes!

Hope you enjoy!

C record

C record

C record

C record

C record

C record

C record

C record

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. The red on your's look so rich and deep.

Your's is the higher level Oria GM0.0 tubed frame. The fluted ML25 was next down the list, although I have seen one each of SLX, Aelle, and Tange tubed Montagner. I think that towards the end when William Martin Imports was bringing them into the USA they were only using Oria.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Did some work on the chrome...really polished up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Hi all, Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I thought I'd post this for all of us Montagner lovers in case someone on the group wanted to have a go for it. Its just a few CM too small or I'd grab it right away: 70s Montagner Frameset 57cm C T Used | eBay Over the cable guides and an interesting seat stay to seat lug treatment, and none of the later Montagner pantographing is obvious.

No relation or interest with the seller, just looking for another 60cm Montagner when I ran across this.

Robert

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Hi all,
    First post here, mainly I was asking google for any information about Montagner and came to this forum post, so now I'm a member.
    Any way, back in 1987 (about) I bought a Montagner frame set here in South Australia after my Europa bike crashed into a car
    It is the pearl white with yellow green and blue fading to the headtube and did have chrome forks.
    Years later my son started riding, got into the Fixie Allycat scene and I gave him the old frame as I had no use for it I was much more interested in dual susp MTBs...
    So for my birthday he gave it back to me minus forks but with a promise to find some suitable ones.
    He has restored and repainted the frame, had decals made up same as the originals and it does look great. Now I just need to build it up ready to ride again!
    He has swapped the drop outs so it will be a single speed, and he did remove the cable lugs as he likes no brakes ! Might see if I can find some old style chrome cable clamps rather than zip ties
    Once I get a few bits organized and I work out how to post pics I'll send some in.
    Cheerio.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    20150714_183124.jpg20150714_183137.jpg20150714_183206.jpg20150714_183216.jpg20150714_183231.jpg20150714_183251.jpg
    Hi!
    This is my Montagner bike. I bought it in 2013 from a Hungarian guy (I'm Hungarian as well) who wanted to make a fixed gear bike from it, but luckily this frame has vertical dropout, so he did not ruined it. I bought it for about 130 bucks. I bought it with the Miche crankset, and brakes, The Dura Ace AX rear derailleur, and Rhino shifter levers and front derailleur. I changed the front derailleur to Dura Ace AX just today. On the frame theres a sticker with a word "Ahrer". Does this mean anything to you? I also don't know witch frame I have. If you recognise it, please write me back! I'm glad I found this forum, and I hope you like my ride. I like it a lot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12