Any other Montagner (Mon - tan - yair) owners out there?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Any other Montagner (Mon - tan - yair) owners out there?

Montagner (Mon – tan – yair) frames seem to be quite rare, there are not many around. The photographs below are of the Montagner time trial bike that I own - I have searched the internet, not a lot of information about them around.
    I have only seen a couple of frames for sale - a road frame on eBay about six months ago and time trial frame (straight tubes) on Matuzmaster.

Handmade Italian bicycle frames using Oria GM0.0 Ribbed and Oria ML25 Indented tubing.
    Montagner frames were built by Luigi Montagner, whose claim to fame was being builder to the Czech and Polish national teams for the 1987 season.

Montagner's feature a top tube decal with details of the Czechoslovakian national teams world record:-
    cicli MONTAGNER - Passarella (VE)
    Colorado Spring 1986
    Primato Mondiale Squadre 4km
    tempo: 4,15,18 - media: 57,806 km/h

I was told the brand petered out after Luigi got busted for importing drugs.

Montagner's were imported into the USA by W.M. Lewis Imports.
    Last edited by steelisreal2; 09-05-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Sep 2008
    Yup. Got the bike in Colorado Springs about 10 years ago. I'll post better pictures over the weekend... this was just a quick camera phone job.

Actually joined the forum to get in touch with you since, so far as I can tell, you the only person who has one of these guys. There's a frame that just sold on UK eBay and the guy at bike123.com has one for sale. Other than that there's just about zero information available about these bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg -1.jpg (182.0 KB, 949 views)

RoadBikeReview Member

Another exists

Good to see another Montagner out there, would be keen to see your other photos. My Montagner was originally owned by Madonna Harris, she won a silver medal at the World Games in 1990 and a Commonwealth Games gold medal on the track. Madonna raced for the Celestial Seasonings team in the 80's, she may have brought this frame back to New Zealand from the states.

She also had a Montagner pursuit bike - below.

Below is an old W.M. Lewis Imports advert from Winning Magazine from mid 80's

Last edited by steelisreal2; 03-14-2009 at 10:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Yes, matter of fact there are at least two of us in Minnesota. I recently saw the other Montagner on Craigslist for $500. C Record, Campy sew-ups etc. Sold in a day! My bike was purchased from a riding buddies' co-worker. She got it as a throw away that was headed off to Goodwill. Thank god I got my mitts on it in time. I ended up giving her a couple hundred dollars and it fits me like glove. Its all Suntour GPX and Superbe Pro. I hadn't ridden a Suntour equipped bike before this, but this really shifts beautifully. I swapped out the stem and seat post with some twenty year old Dura-Ace goodies to achieve the right fit. My bike couldn't possibly have more than several hundred miles. I recently ordered new pedals, a white Regal, some Gatorskins for fall riding in Minnesota, and new brake pads. I promise to post before and after pics soon. Just give me a week. And yes, I agree, this is a very small fan club for such a well mannered steed. Cheers!
    Last edited by gomango; 03-20-2009 at 02:01 PM.

merckxman
    Jan 2002

There is one on ebay RIGHT NOW

item 130256319972
    SLX tubeset, 54 cm

RoadBikeReview Member

Matuzmaster's Montagner

The eBay item 130256319972 (shame downtube decals are missing) is from Geoff Burgess of Matuzmaster(www.matuzmaster.hu), he has a fantastic selection of Moser, Colnago, Carrera, Coppi, Basso, has even had a couple of Montagner's.
    His website has an English version and a Hungarian Version (the latter has more shiney stuff on it, than English version).

Another Montagner from Geoff's range of goodies.

gomango:- got any photographs of your Montagner?
    Suntour Superbe Pro is an awesome groupset - current project bike is being built up with it. Suntour maybe gone, but not forgotten.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I have a 1986 Montagner GMO.O with GP4s and cutting edge Dura-Ace 7spd. Great bike. I raced it in 1980s and early 90s and then retired it as a trainer bike three years when I joined the carbon generation.

Still use it around town.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I received a couple of PM's about this 1988 Montagner. It was sold by a local shop in good, better, best versions. While this is the entry level, it performs quite well. Its handling is very quick, yet predictable. It is now my oldest son's, and it probably has fewer than 1,000 miles. It fits me, but he really does enjoy the bike and it is a good fit for as well. It is a mixed bag of nice Suntour Superbe Pro and GPX components. My son is a soccer player, and is all legs. It is getting increasingly difficult to keep up with him on this bike! Oh and sorry it took so long to return your messages.

Last edited by gomango; 03-20-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Jun 2009
    I had rarely seen another Montagner before I stumbled upon this thread. In fact, the only info I ever found predated the internet. I searched a few old bike mags on microfiche when I was in college and found a few ads for Montagner.

I bought this one used from Buck's Bikes in Austin around 1994 for $250 or $350; I can't remember which. I think the original US importer for Montagner was in Round Rock which is probably why I found it. I got some miles on it before I eventually moved up to a Klein Quantum Pro which still amazes me whenever I ride it. I keep the Montagner around because it reminds me of the good old days when I would walk into Dud Thames bike shop in Tampa and ogle the Peugeots and all the handmade Italian bikes that cost every bit as much in the 80s as they do now in 2009 dollars.

I'll have to see what it has on it. I know it has Mavic sew-up rims, campy hubs and cranks, and Shimano (probably replaced) brakes and derailleurs. I think the fork is Tomassini. The seat is definitely not original. ;) Amazingly the handlewrap is the original with the original gradation paint pattern.

Last edited by Montagner Fan; 06-11-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Nov 2009

Montagner track

Hello,
    This is my Little Montagner Collection :-)
    They are all for the Czechoslovak National team :-)
    Some are for sale if interested -->PM

[IMG]Luigi Montagner Pursuit[/IMG]

Montagner track bike size 58
    IMG_0069

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I just got one, thoroughly trashed but still gorgeous. Its the GM 0.0 tubed Montagner road frame withe the red, white and light blue paint. Its odd that the ribs on the tubing are placed off center to the centerline of the frame. Weird, but distinctive and sure to get looks on the road.

I've wanted one since college in the late '80s. Its taken quite some time, but now I have one. I'll get her restored and repainted when time and money permits. Expect photos by late summer, fundage permitting.

RoadBikeReview Member

Decals

If you need the Oria GM0.0 tubing decals, try Cyclomondo (gts753) on eBay.

He also did this one off for my Montagner, but would probably still have it on file.

Good luck with restoration

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the pointer. I'll keep him in mind. I have head tube logo and "Montagner" decals for the down and seat tubes care of Evilbay from about four or five years ago, but never thought I'd be able to use them. They're claimed to be original, but who knows? Oddly, they're shadowed decals, white lettering with black shadows, which I don't recall seeing on stock Montagners. She'll be going into either Cycleart or Joe Bell, most likely, sometime next year when finances improve. It looks like the entire frame was originally chromed at the factory, not just the stays, and then painted over, which may explain why the paint is in such lousy condition, peeling and easily chipping - there's no primer for the paint to grip onto. That would also explain why the light blue and red at the lugs looks more pink and powderpuff blue, as the light shines through the paint and reflects off of the chrome. My thought is to get it repainted close to the original look and style, but perhaps updated with newer metallic and pearl colors, plus lots of clearcoats over the decals. This frame's decals were applied last and may not have even had a clearcoat given how they're peeling.

RoadBikeReview Member

Montagner details.....

It looks like the entire frame was originally chromed at the factory, not just the stays, and then painted over, which may explain why the paint is in such lousy condition, peeling and easily chipping - there's no primer for the paint to grip onto.
    Mine had chromed rear stays and fork tips only - as shown in photograph after it had been glass bead blastered. Chrome plating was surprisingly still in very good condition, no sign of pitting or rust - just needed a good polish up.

they're shadowed decals, white lettering with black shadows, which I don't recall seeing on stock Montagners
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/montagner/pool/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Any idea what size seatpost mine will take? Its the GM 0.0 tubed frame. My old 27.2 seatpost doesn't seem to fit.

Thanks,

Robert

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    My circa 1987 Dura Ace seatpost for my Montagner GMO.O is 26.4

I'm thinking about gettting the bike restored.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Thank you for the info. I figured it was on of the 26 mm sizes, but couldn't quite figure it out. What color or paint scheme is your's? Mine is the tricolor, but in the light red, white and blue.

Robert

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    same color and decked out with Dura Ace 7spd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Beautiful! Mine might be slightly older, as the rear spacing is 120 mm, so I'll probably run a Phil Wood freewheel hub back there and a five or six speed system. She'll go into Joe Bell or Cycleart in about a year. She would be going in this summer but for the lousy economy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Mine is a 120mm also and with that Shimano cassette system that was made for about 2 years. Limited replacement parts...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Hi All,

There's a nice SLX Montagner on the Bay of Evil currently: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MONTAGNE...item3eff8750d4 It looks to have aero cable routing through the top tube, so perhaps its a later model?

Too bad she's a 58 cm (too small for me) or I'd try to snag her. No relation or interest towards the seller, just trying to help out the little Montagner community.

Robert

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Has anyone ever seen this model before???

Has anyone ever seen this model before???

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLX-Luigi-MONTAG...item1c14278475

It looks like 'ol Luigi made a special model for '86. I'd never seen one like this before: SLX, aero routing, a triangular stiffener on the inner fork crown casting, and with what appears to be the same paint as on the ORIA ML 25 tubed frame.

Uber cool! I'm posting this just to get some discussion going, not to sell anything - no relation to the seller. I just find it interesting everytime I see a new Montagner on the Bay or somewhere. Is there a record somewhere of the various models that Montagner made? Until I started watching the Bay, I was only familiar with the two in the old William Lewis Catalog photo kindly by steelisreal2.

Robert

RoadBikeReview Member

Montagner Review....

I have contacted Bill Lewis @ William Lewis Import Inc. a couple of years ago to try and get some more information on the brand. All the information he had had on Montagner's was long gone.

I came across this Montagner Review from Bicycling Magazine, it is the first time I have seen a review on the brand. It's a great looking bicycle - with Campagnolo Chorus, tri-colour paint and Cinelli.

See the of the review @ https://www.flickr.com/groups/montag...th/4185591664/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    That's the article that got me into wanting a Montagner! I kept that magazine all these years until about a year ago, when I tossed it in a fit of general house cleaning. Naturally, I got a Montagner soon afterwards...

Mine will wind up looking just like the one in the article, except with the red, white and blue paint scheme. I've been collecting old Chorus parts, and now I really just need that oddball seatpost. Restoration has been put off until next year due to a pay cut (this economy stinks!), but she will get done!

Robert

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I have had a Montagner since 1988, and have been looking for information on it ever since. I bought mine for $300 from a guy that used to race bikes, and wanted to get rid of some of them. I am an avid runner and have not riden it for years. It probably has less than 1,000 miles on it. It came originally with Campi sew-up rims & hubs, Mavic pedals, Cinelli handlebars and everything else is DuraAce. It came with a San Marco "Rolls" seat that says "1986 World Championships" on it. The bottom of the frame also is stamped Cinelli. I take it they were made for Cinelli, but do not know. I have recently put new wheels on it, and plan to start riding it again. I just love this bike, and have always got lots of great comments about it from other riders, and the bike shops I've had it in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast