Anyone riding MASI bikes? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

JMac - Thanks for asking!

here's a link for reference

http://www.masibikes.com/cycles/speciale_carbon.php

Lets start with the frame, it's steel, EOM 16.5 Dedacciai to be exact. The welds are not what I would call perfect but the welder was probably being paid by the piece so I'll forgive him/her. The paint is thick and luxurious and it waxed up very nicely, no flaws found. One issue with the paint, it's so thick getting a carbon friendly seat tube clamp over the seat tube was a little difficult. Overall the frame was nicely finished from the factory, didn't need much prep work other than a couple of coats of wax.

The parts package came together pretty well - Easton controls, full Dura-Ace kit, Selle Italia saddle, Fizik bartape, Time pedals, Hutchison tubless tires (more later). All quality stuff that went together well even though I'm good at messing things up. Bike came in at a hair over 17lbs - me at 190lbs, I can live with that.

The ride - coming off riding mostly Reynolds 853 I would say EOM 16.5 is much stiffer. Handles road buzz pretty good, big hits like pot holes and tree root pavement bumps are handled better with a bit of preloading the bike, kind of like springing though/over stuff. It climbs and sprints really welI, high speed desending in very comfortable also. I did a four hour ride on sunday and it I didn't feel worked over by the bike, just the ride!

Since there's only one choice on tires right now (IRC announced at Ibike that they have a tubeless in the works) the Hutchison Fusion gets scrutinized a bit more. These are touted as feeling more like Tubulars than Clinchers. I've never ridden tubulars so I can only say that these tires feels as good as the best clinchers I've ridden. They mounted and aired up extremely easy. I added a latex sealant as I live in puncture vine area. The tires have taken goatheads and sealed up without adding air or losing much air pressure. On the down side I would have to rate these tires as a better race day tire than a training tire. The casing doesn't seem to handle road punishment very well, it is a relatively light set-up so I can live with them until some other manufactures come on board.

Cleary there's tons more to share, I'll leave it at that for now unless you have a specific question in mind?
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member

Feb 2008
    Narrowed it down to a left over Vincere or Speciale CT
    Last edited by wage; 03-19-2008 at 08:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

What bike should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by wage
    So i'd like to get a road bike for the days the trails are to muddy for my mtn bike.
    Your post might be better served in another forum - but here's my take. Try a set of road slicks on you mountain bike first, go cheap. You may hate the road, some people do.

If you don't mind road riding then take a look at the roads around your area this might help you decide what bike would best suit those rides.

Do you live in a mountainous region? light is good. Rainy area? steel might not be your first choice. Brevet style rides? Then take a look at steel.

These questions are just the are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to finding the right bike for you. But if your looking for the bike to buy right now then go for the Masi of course, hell your in the Masi forum.

Full disclosure I own two Masi bikes, both steel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Float, What's the "other" one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would love to say it's vintage but it's not.

Good ol 853 - a little on the small side for me.

It's orange which looks cool

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really dig them but the vintage market has gotten nuts! Have you seen the guy on Ebay trying to pedal off the 90s Strata for $2700?!? He sees those 70's GCs go for >$1000 and thinks he'll get in on it.
    I'm a little disenchanted with what is current. I like the Vincere I built up with SRAM Force. Just over 17lbs (all aluminum frame) and easily less than $2000. If you know the history of the company, I just don't feel they are what they used to be. ie, just Masi-badged Taiwanese frames like everybody else is putting out. Good quality and value by average standards but nothing really cutting edge in high-end design IMO. Wouldn't it be great to see them sponsor a world class team?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most big bike companys no longer have the stomach to produce small tube lugged steel bikes.

Cinelli has the Supercorsa, Colnago brought back the Master X-Light, both beautiful bikes!

I love my 16.5 EOM steel bike - It may not be old school but the ride is very steely.

Feb 2008
    Does anyone have specs/pics on this bike?

It's a Speciale CT in Blue, comparing that to a Vincere, both leftovers.
    Last edited by wage; 03-19-2008 at 08:16 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Masi Speciale Fixed

I'm interested in getting one these. Anybody have any experience, thoughts? Thanks

NewRider
    May 2008

Masi Reviews?

Hi all, new to the forum and in the process of getting my first road bike. I'm thinking of getting a Masi because a LBS has good prices (I think) on 07 Masis and they seem to be better equipped/value compared to other brands but I cant find any reviews. This site has a few reviews but most are older model years. Any idea where I can find reviews/thoughts about these bikes?

Vincere - 800.00
    Speciale - 900
    Gran Corsa - 1000

They also had a Nuova Strada for either 800 or 900, a Jamis Ventura Comp for 600 and a Raleigh Supercourse for 850, all 07 models. So my dilemma is should I get the Comp for 600 or get the Gran Corsa for a grand not knowing how much I'm going to end up riding and pros/cons of buying a 600.00 bike vs a 1000.00. I'm going to be riding all of them over the next few days but not sure about Masis in general because they don't seem to be that popular for lack of a better words apart from the 600/1000 problem

I'm getting a road bike is to replace the old mountain bike I'm using now as a road bike. I'm just looking to get fit and be able to ride 18 -24 miles with local bike clubs but beyond that I dont know - maybe I'll start doing longer rides or enter local races (not competitively but for the fun and camaraderie).

I'm 42, 150 lbs and in slightly less than average shape - did an 18 miler last week at about 10 mph on my mtn bike - but I was pacing myself, since I'm not in that great shape and didnt want to injure myself.

Thanks and appreciate any input!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Hey Float,

Based in part on your enthusiastic review I picked up a NOS Masi Special Carbon late last year and finally got it up and running. I intended it to be my second/back-up bike, but it is quickly becoming my favorite ride. I built it up with a Chorus/Centaur mix and some Campy Sciroco wheels. Compared to my all carbon (Bianchi) bike I think the ride is just about as good. The steel does transmit a little more "buzz" than my all carbon ride (although that bike has carbon bars too, which might help). It came out at about 19.5 lbs, for a 60 cm bike. I didn't put any lightweight parts on it to speak of, no doubt I could drop a pound or more fairly easily, but I don't really mind.

What I really like about the Masi, however, is how well it handles. In this respect it is head and shoulders above the Bianchi. It seems to be perfectly balanced. I agree with you, the fit and finish (welds) is close, but not quite as good as some other brands, but its certainly passable. The paint is as nice as anything else out there. I wish the brand was still made in Italy, but for the price they are putting out a very nice product. I'd certainly recommend Masi over similarly priced rides from the major brands.

RoadBikeReview Member

More Special

JMac -
    Glad to hear your Steel bike is giving you some good miles. My Special is a great canvas to play around with black white and red. I've replaced the all carbon front fork with an alloy dropout version. After the pic was taken I added a sweet Bontrager InForm RL white saddle, very comfy. Played around with colored bar tape. I've got some Bontrager black and red frame protectors I need to throw on. My Masi is my goto bike, I try and get it out as least three times a week to hammer it. It's keeping happy so far and that's a hard thing to do.

Jul 2008
    riding a green speciale fixed.

covered more than 300 miles and i'm loving it so far

What up, dog?
    I just got a Speciale CX a couple weeks ago - love it so far. It's my 2nd CX bike this year - the other one is the Fuji Cross Pro - I gotta be honest - I like the Masi better! It's nice to be back on steel again - it's been a long time. It's not the lightest bike, but CX bikes never are. The ride is really amazing though, and even though it's a 105/Tiagra bike, I'm impressed with the way the components meld together.

I may buy a Speciale Commuter and convert it into a 1x9 bike - I just can't do a full-on SS bike, but I think the 1x9 is a good compromise. It should be a fun project.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

80's masi

Does Anyone Know How To Determine If A Masi Gran Criterion From The 80's Was Built In Italy Vs. Carlsbad, Ca.????????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

Even more Masi.

Since this pic was taken I've changed to Deda white tape. Scored a Token carbon stem too.

Plus I replaced the Fizik Arione with the new Bontrager Inform Race X Lite in white. Just hated the Fizik (apologies to Arione lovers) and very much like the Inform.

I switch back and forth between Race Lites and Race X Lite wheels and can only tell the difference when I pick the bike up.

Eventually, the FSA crank is going to be replaced with a Campy UT. The FSA has had side play since new and no amount of tweaking has been able to eliminate it. And carbon or not, it's a brick. A Campy Centaur UT alloy weighs less.

I really like this bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I do not want a carbon fiber bike or alum bicycle. I want a lugged chromed italian frameset. Please do not bore me with mass production bicycles such as Ciocc, Trek, Masi, Colnago and Cervello. Please leave me with a 21 pound steel bicycle with chrome lugs and chrome chainstays and I will forever hold my peace?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I want a Gios Compact. That is going to be my next bicycle as soon as my 401k makes another $4000 dollars!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Masi Team 3V circa 1993. Internal lugs built by Mondonico of Italy with proprietary steel tubeset. Recently upgraded with Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed alloy bits. Added Easton EC50 carbon fork (1" steerer) and tossed the aluminum Kinesis original fork.

I am very glad I kept it and still use it with the excellent Campy stuff.

In all it's glory!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleguyfla13
    I do not want a carbon fiber bike or alum bicycle. I want a lugged chromed italian frameset. Please do not bore me with mass production bicycles such as Ciocc, Trek, Masi, Colnago and Cervello. Please leave me with a 21 pound steel bicycle with chrome lugs and chrome chainstays and I will forever hold my peace?

Had a bad day, eh? I've got a lugged Columbus TSX Bertoni with all alloy Centaur 10. A lugged Reynolds 531P Falcon with Record 8. A lugged Columbus SL/SP Dave Moulton Fuso converted to a fixed gear. And a lugged Reynolds 531 (in the main tubes) Raleigh Supercourse set up as a single speed commuter. All really nice bikes.

But I also very much like my Taiwanese made, tig-welded Dedacciai 16.5 EOM with Deda carbon seat and chainstays Masi Speciale Carbon, Centaur 10 with a lot of Bontrager bits that now weighs 17 lbs. with pedals and cages. The geometry, fit and handling are spot on. Stiff and lively but good enough for a century.

Like 'em all. Ride 'em all!
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    MASI Vinvere 09
    I very excited about this bike. I test rode it this weekend and it made it to the final two.(have test roded ovr 15 bikes so far)
    I am torn between this Masi and the Caad9 5.
    I love the MASI feel a lot, it felt good right away, plus the component are better than the Caad (ultegra rear , BR560 break, sram crank, ridley bar,..) all that for just a grand.
    The caad9 felt great and it felt a little lighter (masi is 21 pounds in 58 and caad is in the 19/20 range) plus it comes from a LBS that I like versus one that I do know (with a so so reputation). Price is higher but price is not the decision factor here.
    I checked the Masi site and I did not find any direct link to contact them if I have a warranty issue. Has anybody had any problem with their bikes (frame in particular) and/or has been able to contact Masi directly in case the LBS does not carry through?
    Thx!
    Frank

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by franksf
    MASI Vinvere 09
    I very excited about this bike. I test rode it this weekend and it made it to the final two.(have test roded ovr 15 bikes so far)
    I am torn between this Masi and the Caad9 5.
    I love the MASI feel a lot, it felt good right away, plus the component are better than the Caad (ultegra rear , BR560 break, sram crank, ridley bar,..) all that for just a grand.
    The caad9 felt great and it felt a little lighter (masi is 21 pounds in 58 and caad is in the 19/20 range) plus it comes from a LBS that I like versus one that I do know (with a so so reputation). Price is higher but price is not the decision factor here.
    I checked the Masi site and I did not find any direct link to contact them if I have a warranty issue. Has anybody had any problem with their bikes (frame in particular) and/or has been able to contact Masi directly in case the LBS does not carry through?
    Thx!
    Frank
    I realize this post is three weeks old so you may have made your decision by now.

We're a Haro/Masi dealer and have never had any issues with their products and on the rare occasion where warranty came into play, they have been very good.

And if you do have issues, every manufacturer requires you to go through a dealer for warranty work.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just ordered a Masi Speciale Fixed from my LBS for commuting to work (SS is perfect since it's a flat ride). I've always admired Masi bikes and a steel ride and I'm sure I will be very happy with it. I test rode a Masi CX bike and loved it.

You know there's something to it when the dealer would rather order me a $750 bike and say "It's the one" than try to upsell me on one of the many Specialized and other high end bikes he already had in his shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice dmar836!

Here's mine... need to determine it's real age. Got it used Oct '89, which means it's 21st B-day is coming up. Thanks for the many miles and smiles, good friend.

Last edited by redmasi; 07-15-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast