Calling All Wilier Owners!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sep 2007
    In occasion of the 100th anniversary, Wilier Triestina published a book "Sotto il segno dell'alabarda" where they actually explained the origin of the name Wilier.
    They claim that they all initials that would stand for:
    "Viva (W) l' Italia liberata e redenta".
    I live in Colorado now, what about you?
    Last edited by acbike; 09-07-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Aug 2007
    Scordia....Bike Store.....Rocco Tambone. Come visit please.

Nov 2006

2008 Wilier Izoard and its all mine!

Well here it is my 2008 Wilier Izoard...I am sure it is one of the few being ridden in California right now...Loving it!
    I test rode a 06 Thor for over a month and fell in love. Just had to post because I haven't seen one other than the group I ride with. Enjoy...
    Campy Centaur
    Fulcrum R3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aug 2005
    Looks great. My thor stays glued to the road in corners. Quite remarkable. I'm riding my Fuji Pro at the moment while my wife uses my Thor's rear wheel. The Fuji feels like a truck in comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Nic840
    I am really interested in the Izoard and would appretiate an indepth ride report - pls let us know what you are comparing it to (previous bike). Thanks

Nov 2006
    Toonraid:
    Well in my limited ride experience...a little over a year I can tell you I think I have hit the motherlode.
    I dove into this sport after years of playing competative soccer/softball. I am a female athlete and I don't think bike shops take that seriously. I want quality equipment that fits right and performs at a certain standard...I didn't get that the first time around when I made the first big bike purchase.
    I rode a 06 Trek 2100 (52") for about 8 months, nice bike, fit okay, a little small but it was good to start out on. Aluminum frame/carbon fork/carbon seat stay.
    Then I joined a local club and the "club" leader let me test ride the 06 Wilier Thor for a while. It was like going from a Ford Mustang (stock model) to a Ferrari. I may be relatively new to the sport but I know the differences. I learned how to race open-wheel formula cars and I know what handling feels like. The Wilier had it. It was amazing. I had to have one. I was lucky enough to ride the Wilier for almost 2 months until my Izoard came in. One of the first rides I did on the Thor was a bumpy river road...the bike absorbed everything and after 40 miles of junky bumpy road I felt fine.

Ride of the Izoard:
    Climbs like a dream, no effort into the cranks and it goes. The power transfer is from your muscle to the road, amazing feeling. I am not a hill climber...well I don't necessarily like hills...that has now changed and I look forward to the hills. Who would of thought??

Handles like its on rails. The Izoard handled quite a bit differently than the Thor, quicker responsiveness almost a little squirrely but something I was looking forward to getting used to. Now after about 8 rides on differing terrain I wouldn't trade the responsiveness for anything.

I am still making some minor fit adjustments such as bars and seat but I am sure that is pretty standard on most bikes if you want a tight fit. I am lucky enough to have gotten this bike through someone who prides himself on getting it "fit" right. So just working out a few little kinks but nothing I can't go out and do 50 miles on feel fine.
    Went from Shimano Ultegra to Campy...don't like going back. My Trek is now the "kids" trailer bike rider, hate going back to the Shimano. The Campy is spot on as far as shifting. There is no play when you shift, no question as to which gear you are in.
    The braking is tight! No squishiness or mush. It is there when you need it. The guy I got it through was amazed at how the bike straight out of the box needed very little adjustment to it.

Before jumping into this purchase my husband had me go ride the comparable "big" brand bikes. I rode the S-Works, Tarmac and the Madone. The only one I felt that was comparable geometry and feel wise was the Tarmac. It was agressive and handled well. It was a nice bike but was a bit more than the Izoard I was getting a deal on.
    Its fun riding a bike that people don't see everyday. I was on an early morning ride and I passed these two older gentleman, one riding a Colango and the other on an Orbea. They complemented me on the bike saying that they are very well respected in Europe and were pleased to see them out here. They were overly impressed by it, it made me feel good!
    If you have any more questions please ask...I am sure I missed something. In the group I ride with we have two new Centos,a Le Roi and an Imperiale. Its fun stuff!!!

Aug 2005
    My Thor is rather Ferrari / Grand Touring like. Sensitive to weight distribution. I'm on a M with a 120 mm stem - bars are out a ways. That makes all the difference. Clearly a "carving" rather than "diving" bike. Feels pretty mellow in the corners, but refuses to break loose. I can always tighten the turn a bit more if I feel like it. Climbs well enough for an older rider. I notice I always waft up onto my contemporaries, never the other way around!

My bike has that beautiful suppleness that makes descending a joy. Reminds me of the Colnagos I foolishly sold long ago. Feels Italian. A funny little bike, very small for me. I have a 400 mm post all the way out and a 120 mm stem. Just goes where I point it and is very comfortable. Sweeps through turns so nicely. I like US 129 on it - see tailofthedragon.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

2008 Wilier

I may be ordering a 2008 Izoard (Red / Carbon / White) as early as this weekend. I'm thinking Campy Record and still undecided on the wheelset. I may go with the red Fulcrum Zeros or I may scale back a few. I really love the Cento but don't want to drop the coin. Glad you are enjoying the bike!

Dec 2007
    After riding a Cannondale R3000si CAAD 5 for six years, I've decided to purchase a new bike. I test rode the Cannondale SystemSix and loved it - the bike is light, lively and handles great. The aluminum rear triangle gives it a stiffness that I prefer over the full-carbon frames I've ridden.

However, my racing team can get half-price on a Wilier 2008 Izoard with full Chorus - it is a great deal - so I'm trying to decide between that and the SystemSix 1. The Wilier is full carbon but seems to share similar geometry and the huge BB of Cannondale. I've always admired the Wilier bikes, but they are not common here and so it is hard to find much information. Any input much appreciated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Nice840 very nice bike. I like it allllot

Dec 2007
    After riding a Cannondale R3000si CAAD 5 for six years, I've decided to purchase a new bike. I test rode the Cannondale SystemSix and loved it - the bike is light, lively and handles great. The aluminum rear triangle gives it a stiffness that I prefer over the full-carbon frames I've ridden.

However, my racing team can get half-price on a Wilier 2008 Izoard with full Chorus - it is a great deal - so I'm trying to decide between that and the SystemSix 1. The Wilier is full carbon but seems to share similar geometry and the huge BB of Cannondale. I've always admired the Wilier bikes, but they are not common here and so it is hard to find much information. Any input is much appreciated!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    The Cannondale SystemSix is a nice bike I had the older Six13 which was a very fast sprinter and climber but I think the SystemSix is probably a bit faster. I rode one and had similar impression. It was a stiff but actually not that harsh of a ride and would be a great race bike. Only real downside is that they don't hold their value very well (there are a ton of C'dales on the road).

The 2008 Izoard is not as stiff, but has a real nice ride. I took the 08 Izoard up some steep hills in the East Bay (CA) and it climbed amazing. Also very efficient at sprinting with some really beefy chainstays and bottom bracket area. I don't think you'll be unhappy getting the Izoard and if you are, you can probably sell it for a profit and get the SystemSix.

I was in the market for a racing bike this past year so I test rode just about every new bike on the market (Look 585, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Cervelo R3, Time VXR, Cannondale System Six, 08 Madone, Scott CR1, Colnago C50, Wilier Cento, Le Roi and Izoard) and overall the Wilier came out on top. In fact I am on a 2008 Wilier Le Roi that I just built up last month. They are definitely more rare, but those engineers at Wilier really make amazing bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Wilier Izoard

I live in Florida and don't have any dealers in my immediate area that sell Wilier. I did a quick email blitz to some of the out of state dealers trying to build a Wilier Cento / Campy Record / Red Fulcrum Race Zero's at a resonable price. I decided to save a few $$$ and go with the Izoard. Funny enough, I just received it in the mail today and it is absolutely beautiful!

I like it because it is rare in this part of the world, the components are top notch, the frame is relatively affordable and the finish is fine. At the point I have very few test miles on the Izoard (through a bike shop) and it seems really smooth. I am going to put some serious mile on this bike over the holidays and will report back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Info on the 2008 Izoard

I took my new 2008 Wilier Izoard / Camp Record / Red Fulcrum Race Zeros out for the first serious ride today...and it didn't disappoint. Very tight, smooth and forgiving - yet stiff, accellerates well, climbs well and looks great. I had a lot of positve feedback as to how good the bike looks.

I test rode the 2008 Trek Madone 5.2, Cervelo R3, Cervelo Soloist and the Pinarello Paris Carbon. I like the Izoard better than all of them - regardless the price. The Wilier Cento is even better if you really want to ante up.

If you have any interest in buying a Wilier - my suggestion is to email Marshall Hannum at Uranium Cycles out of Moab, Utah. Uranium is listed as one of the dealers on Wilier USA's website. I don't think that it is a real big outfit, but they were absolutely great to work with + no sales tax.

Marshall agreed to build the bike to my specifications, was great to work with and had the bike in the mail (UPS ground) 8 days after ordering it. He provided me with email photos of the bike being built and a UPS tracking link which was right on. Tuning and shifting were perfect out of the box!

He maticulously built the bike with attention to detail and did a top notch job packaging the bike as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

New Wilier Dealer

I just became a Wilier dealer at my shop in Vancouver, BC (West Van) and have the Izoard, Mortirolo and Evasion to arrive in early March. I'm super keen on having this line in the store and have already pre-sold several bikes! Keep the photos and stories coming as my customers follow Road Bike Review!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    The Mortirolo is one of the better buys on the market

Musculo Med Doc
    Likely getting on a 2008 Izoard this spring - was a bit curious to hear if anyone knew what they were spec'd with for 2008. On some sites I see Ritchey Pro & WCS carbon, and on others I see them spec'd with ITM stuff........ anyone have a true experience yet? I realize that the Groupos can/will vary..... I was really more curious as to the rest of the getup.

And most important - if any of you have picked up a 2008 - How goes it??????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008

Gerolsteiner

I have a Wilier Gerolsteiner team frame.
    I believe it's a 2003 model built for Frederico Morini, who had to retire after a very serious training accident....not on this bike, though!
    Equipment is Campagnolo Chorus with TWE custom-built wheels.
    It's beautiful to ride...very smooth with no harshness that some aluminium frames have. It has a very relaxed head angle making it rock steady. It climbs really well and is lovely on sweeping descents....I love it!
    Pete

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Wilier Components

To my knowledge, all Wilers are shipped to the US as frame kits only. They are brought in to Atlanta, GA for distribution - which feeds the relatively few retailers that build them. The ITM v Richey for the cockpit is usually a decision based on what the building bike shop has access to. I am almost certain but not positive that the Cento's and maybe the other models as well come with the Ritchey Carbon seatpost and headset with the frame package.

In lieu of buying one off the showroom floor at the closest (but still far away) LBS, I went on line. I speced out everything that I wanted on the bike. My searched led me to Marshall Hannum at Uranium Bicycles in Moab, UT. Marshall had the bike built to my specifications and in the mail in less than 10 days. He did an exceptional job building, tuning and packaging the bike. I pretty much knew all of my measurements, but sent these to him with the build list for a second opinion.

I've had many compliments on my bike, love to ride it and bought it at a very fair price AND no sales tax since it was mailed out of state.

FYI - I did get the 2008 Izoard (red/wht/blk) with Campy Record, Red Fulcrum Zero's and Ritchey on the post, headset, bars and stem. Feel free to ask me any more questions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

wilier mortirolo

I was thinking of buying the 2007 wilier mortirolo. Is this a complete bike or is it sold as a frame. What is the retail price of the frame ? I looked on the internet and can't find whole lot of information on this bike in the US.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    That one I'm not sure about. I thought that all Wiliers were imported as frame sets only...but I only researched the Izoard and Cento. I would go to the Wilier USA website. They have a map of the US. Click on the state and you will see all the authorized dealers. Contact one of the dealers for more info. Again, I had great luck with Uranium Cycles in Moab Utah....and I live in FL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

angry lou

here is mediocre pic of my medium Wilier Angliru built with Ultra Foco.

Scott

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fah35
    I was thinking of buying the 2007 wilier mortirolo. Is this a complete bike or is it sold as a frame. What is the retail price of the frame ? I looked on the internet and can't find whole lot of information on this bike in the US.
    The Mortirolo is stocked and sold either as a complete bike or as a frame set.
    The frame set MSRP is $1,499.99.
    The complete bikes are either Ultegra in the white color MSRP $2,649.99 or 105 in the black color MSRP $2,149.99.
    The bikes are stocked in Atlanta and there is plenty stock in all configurations.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snodog1
    Likely getting on a 2008 Izoard this spring - was a bit curious to hear if anyone knew what they were spec'd with for 2008. On some sites I see Ritchey Pro & WCS carbon, and on others I see them spec'd with ITM stuff........ anyone have a true experience yet? I realize that the Groupos can/will vary..... I was really more curious as to the rest of the getup.

And most important - if any of you have picked up a 2008 - How goes it??????
    The Wilier Izoard is available as frame/fork only in either color for $1,999.00 MSRP.
    It is also sold as a complete bike. The color red/white/black is sold with Ultegra and Ritchey Pro accessories for 3,099.99 MSRP. There is ample stock for all of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Went to try out a Pinarello 4:13 today and ended up riding an Izoard equipped with Fulcrum 3's and the Chorus group instead. It was the first time I have ridden a modern Campag group so it took a bit of getting used to. The bike rode really well and I am very very tempted to go back and get it.
    It looks even better in person than it does in pictures. The Campag bikes have ITM bars and stem and the Shimano bikes use Ritchey Pro. acbike what is the MSRP on the Chorus Setup.
    Last edited by lakes road sheep; 03-01-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast