Focus! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Focus!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well.....things changed a little between the last post and final build. I ended up going with Ultegra6800 to match my other rigs - that way I can swap and change wheelsets if I have to. One thing I will say - this Mares CX is buttery smooth and quick - even on the Conti Speed CX tyres.

Loving it!

2011 'dale CAAD10 Berzerker - Ultegra6800 - for the serious stuff
    2012 'dale CAAD10 Team - Ultegra6800 - with compact for the hilly bits!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Man that's a sweet build on your Mares, macca23. Love the color scheme. I'm thinking of selling my full suspension mountain bike to get a cross bike, they are so versatile.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cheers mate - I decided on a CX because I wasn't using my MTB at all. This way, I can commute on it, ride some tracks / dirt roads and still put some road tyres on and ride in the bunch!

They are very versatile rigs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    This past year I re-jiggered the stable and replaced a Giant TCX and Serotta Concours Cross with this Focus Mares CX 1.0 carbon cyclocross bike. The Focus handles great as a road bike and cross bike - the most fun cross bike that I've ridden in that is stable, stiff but has some liveliness. This has a mixed Campy group on it.

My Bikes
    "It's supposed to be hard...The hard is what makes it great."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice rig mate - they go alright these Mares!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ordered my Cayo Evo Team Replica frame the other day and I should have it in a week or so. I'm beyond excited! I'll be mating it with Chorus and I'll post up a pic when I get it all done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPoser View Post
    Ordered my Cayo Evo Team Replica frame the other day and I should have it in a week or so. I'm beyond excited! I'll be mating it with Chorus and I'll post up a pic when I get it all done.
    Wheelset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a set of H + Son Archetypes with Sapim Race and Laser spokes with BHS hubs. They rip!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone know what size seat post the Cayo Evo uses? Need to get one and can't find it anywhere.

j73
    Roadbikereview member
    Sep 2009
    27.2mm

RoadBikeReview Member
    So I got my frame today and it is friction awesome! As I unwrapped everything to check it out, I realized that it doesn't have a braze on for the front derailleur. What size clamp do I need?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here she is in all her glory! Getting a new saddle here soon as well. Haven't been able to ride it yet due to injury, but I'll get to take her out for a spin next week. Very stoked.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Got my Izalco Max a month ago. Love it!

Last edited by hypercycler; 02-17-2015 at 11:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, hypercycler, love that Stealth with Green scheme on the Max.

Also, looks like nice riding country... where are you located?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks. It's more like a fluorescent yellow scheme. The pics were taken here in Los Angeles area, land became green after a few rain showers.

My last bike was a Cannondale EVO hi-mod with similar weight (I think the Max weights in a tad lighter on the frame) but I strongly feel that the Max climbs better then the EVO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Here's my 2013 Focus Cayo Evo 3.0 with SRAM Force. No upgrades yet except for adding my old Fizik Aliante. Absolutely love it on the roads and paths of Arizona.

focus.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Here's my 2013 Cayo Evo 3.0 with Reynolds Assault.DSC03673_small.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Guys, I am looking for a new bike and my choice is for a very good quality frame with low/mid end components so I can upgrade later.

I have ridden some bike ( cannondale supersix and synapse) but I found the cayo 7.0 a very good options. I was about to buy the BMc slr02 but the cayo is 400 pounds cheaper and the frame ( which is what I care) seems as good as BMC.

Can you tell me if this is a good bike?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpvieira View Post
    Guys, I am looking for a new bike and my choice is for a very good quality frame with low/mid end components so I can upgrade later.

I have ridden some bike ( cannondale supersix and synapse) but I found the cayo 7.0 a very good options. I was about to buy the BMc slr02 but the cayo is 400 pounds cheaper and the frame ( which is what I care) seems as good as BMC.

Can you tell me if this is a good bike?

Thanks
    I'll jump in and give you my opinion. I have a 14 Cayo Evo Team Replica and it's awesome. It rides very well, is light (16.2 lbs w/ 105 pedals) and pretty stiff as well. The quality is top notch from what I can tell. It was my top choice (mostly because of price, as I got it from a rep for an unbelievable price), out of a Cervelo R3, and Boardman SLS frames. I love the looks of the bike which makes me want to ride it more.

From what I understand the new versions of the Cayo are very similar to last years in every aspect. One thing that I really like about Focus is that the frame they use in each of their lines is the same from top to bottom. So the Cayo 7.0 has the same frame as the 2.0. Very cool if you ask me.

I say go for it. I don't think that you'll be disappointed. Just post a picture after you take it home.

Brandon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the reply! Is there much difference between the cayo frame and izalco's ? I dont care much about components, they are replaceable, but my concern is about the frame.
    Heard very nice things about this frame though, just wondering if it compares to izalco in terms of stifiness, etc etc (and consequently to BMC)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpvieira View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Is there much difference between the cayo frame and izalco's ? I dont care much about components, they are replaceable, but my concern is about the frame.
    Heard very nice things about this frame though, just wondering if it compares to izalco in terms of stifiness, etc etc (and consequently to BMC)
    Can't honestly tell you anything about the Izalco as I've never ridden one, but I would venture to say that they are almost identical regarding quality of build. The Izalco is a flat out race bike with race geometry while the Cayo is almost a go between when comparing a race geo and endurance geo. I really don't think you'll go wrong with the Cayo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Anyone out there own a 2016 Focus Cayo?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123