Kestrel Talon X

Thread: Kestrel Talon X

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020

Kestrel Talon X

Just joined the group. Anyone else here with a kestrel talon X? Just got mine 2 days ago and finished assembling it yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matnlely Dregaend
    My (Shimergo) Kestrel is still the fastest bike I own... mostly because I have to be very thin and fit to ride with that much bar drop! I think the last 10 years have seen road bikes gravitate towards much taller head tubes to a) accommodate fatter riders, b) accomodate older less flexible riders and c) to avoid flipping stems like yours

I will be the first to admit that there are many times when I can't ride my Kestrel unless the stem is flipped. But really it's a great motivator to get in shape.

The frame geometries of Kestrels are generally intended for a tri / aero bar setup.
    Last edited by DrSmile; 04-23-2020 at 07:58 PM.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Sharp lookin' bike! I'm wondering if you got too small of a frame? The rise on the stem at the top of the fork is really high... but then again, I'm a biased "slam the stem" rider

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    My (Shimergo) Kestrel is still the fastest bike I own... mostly because I have to be very thin and fit to ride with that much bar drop! I think the last 10 years have seen road bikes gravitate towards much taller head tubes to a) accommodate fatter riders, b) accomodate older less flexible riders and c) to avoid flipping stems like yours

I will be the first to admit that there are many times when I can't ride my Kestrel unless the stem is flipped. But really it's a great motivator to get in shape.

The frame geometries of Kestrels are generally intended for a tri / aero bar setup.
    Great looking bike. My stem looks like it could be flipped. The writing on the stem has both directions on it. But I haven’t tried flipping it yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Sharp lookin' bike! I'm wondering if you got too small of a frame? The rise on the stem at the top of the fork is really high... but then again, I'm a biased "slam the stem" rider
    It seems just right for my height. I’m 5’10”. On the kestrel website it says my size should be 55. So I got the 55

Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by zen_squall View Post
    Great looking bike. My stem looks like it could be flipped. The writing on the stem has both directions on it. But I haven’t tried flipping it yet.

Your stem is already flipped. A road stem has a negative rise, flipping it gives a positive rise like you have. Flipping your stem now will lower your bars, which may be tolerable or not. Ideally your head tube should be taller or you should have the fork less cut (not doable once cut) when you build the bike. Nothing wrong with a flipped stem except the looks and the shortened relative stem length.

EDIT - it looks like you've moved a spacer above the bars, if that position feels good undo that and flip your stem. Then it will be correct
    Last edited by DrSmile; 04-26-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Your stem is already flipped. A road stem has a negative rise, flipping it gives a positive rise like you have. Flipping your stem now will lower your bars, which may be tolerable or not. Ideally your head tube should be taller or you should have the fork less cut (not doable once cut) when you build the bike. Nothing wrong with a flipped stem except the looks and the shortened relative stem length.

EDIT - it looks like you've moved a spacer above the bars, if that position feels good undo that and flip your stem. Then it will be correct
    Thanks. I’ll try to flip the stem and remove the spacer and compare what works best.