KHS Flite Carbon Fusion frame, anybody got one? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

Very interesting! Looks like my 2005 Marin Stelvio.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Wow! Sure does, the only difference I see is the KHS frame has a curve in the seat stay tubes.

JDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Interesting indeed.

Very interesting! Looks like my 2005 Marin Stelvio.
    I've never seen that Marin, but your post piqued my curiosity as I've tried to get info on KHS 750 frame construction/materials (in vain).

'09 Marin Stelvio has a straight seat tube.

'08 model has downtube shaped as you picture, but I can't see any lugs in their photo. Which makes sense, as they describe frame as Full Carbon Monocoque.

Have to go back to '06 to find frame that looks like yours and is lugged. And this frame they call: CXR VENUS CARBON.

If it is the same frame, that '06 Stelvio is $3950. Even w/CHORUS/RECORD group, that FSA Crankset can almost be counted on to break. That's one lot of $$ extra for same frame.

The near identical resmeblence does make one wonder just who made these frames, however.
    Last edited by JDM; 09-02-2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: spelling fix.

JDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    FWIW, I received my 750 frame. Looks exactly like davcruz & rhamin's. Interesting, serial # on my frame says '09 according to KHS' serial # FAQ, but KHS discontinued the 750 for '09.

I've tried to determine construction of this frame... all in vain.

I contacted BOB's, and he responded. He said he bought these originally mostly to break 'em down and sell parts separately. Said he didn't know construction for sure, and that KHS rep (when he bought 'em) didn't know either.

I emailed KHS, not much from them either. Here's the conversations:

Mr. McKay,

"CARBON FUSION" frames have aluminum at the joints. Lower end frames have more aluminum, Flite 3000 very little.

Best Regards,

Gene

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:11 AM
    To: KHS Sylvia Bran
    Subject: what is "CARBON FUSION"?

Can't find description on your site. You use this description on several FLITE models, and now I see you use it going back to '06 (?) as well.

I've googled a lot, found references, but nobody I can find seems to know details of frame materials throughout, nor lug material, nor how lugs are fastened.

I've had 2 KHS road bikes: 2000/2004 FLITE 500... very happy w/'em both.
    I have worked my way up to fairly competitive rider and want to move beyond steel.

But lack of info available on meaning of your term, and lack of specifics across frame set models is confusing.

You link/recommend BikePedia for specs of older models, but I don't find it helpful. For example, their '08 FLITE 750 description says:
    Frame Construction TIG-welded/bonded
    Frame Tubing Material KHS Fusion Carbon

Well, carbon isn't welded. TIG suggests there are welds, but where?
    And to what material... Aluminum/Titanium/steel or ??? Some these frames appear lugged from photo, but no mention of lug material. Is this explained anywhere?

It's time for me to upgrade beyond steel. I hate aluminum... hate it.
    And I'm wary of "composite" Al frames w/glued carbon chainstays... seen friends have 'em come apart on name brands.

Sure appreciate details if you can, or point me to place on your website/web where GOOGLE hasn't found 'em yet.

Thanks.

--

"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for us."

- Miriam Amanda "Ma" Ferguson (1875-1961),
    Governor of Texas (1925-1927, 1933-1935)
    I went to KHS LBS... been in there a lot last few years and know owner well. He always has a few KHS(s) on floor, considers himself and expert. He tapped the down/top tubes, said: "could be carbon." Well, I've done the same w/conclusion it could be aluminum as well. And looking at how lugs are formed seamlessly into those 2 tubes, I'd bet aluminum.

Maybe if someone crashes & trashes one of these frames we can cut that puppy up and determine this once and for all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    JDM, I believe the frames and forks are Trigon unless it is the Alpha Q fork on the Team and 900 models. I believe the Marin is the same frame and manufacturer based on the design being the same. Possibly the seat stays on the Marin are curved and the angle of the picture above makes them look straight.

IMO the sound these tubes makes when tapped on is carbon sound, but who knows.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Here is a link for you. https://www.greatgocycles.com/RCC613.htm

-Three main tubes:Venus C7 oblique profile carbon fiber for performance riding extremely effective absorption of vibrations by Trigon's unique carbon composite properties
    -Deep seated damping performance
    -Top tube:musseleye profile C7 tubing
    -Seat tube:aerodee profile for improved aerodynamics and styling
    -Down tube:musseleye profile C7 tubing with oversized bottom bracket profile for improved lateral rigidity and increase power transfer
    -Seat stay: obllix profile and C7 carbon
    -Chain stay:monobox technology obllix profile and C7 carbon
    -Head tube:C7 carbon fiber
    -Wt:1.15kg (S)
    -Details:
    integrated headset 1 1/8"
    STI stopper with adjuster bolts
    Seat post 27.2mm
    Seat clamp 31.8mm
    Last edited by davcruz; 09-02-2009 at 10:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I got the frame last year off craigslist and put my components on it. Kind of a poorboy upgrade to carbon!

JDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Here is a link for you. http://www.greatgocycles.com/RCC613.htm
    Interesting indeed Davcruz. Taiwan cf manufacturer. Explains how MAIN/KHS (and who knows how many others) have what seems like identical frames.

Given description in your link say c/f all the way around, kind'a makes me wonder if KHS now reduced to little more than reseller/marketing company. I mean, from email I posted from KHS rep above (not to mention 750 info on their website) that guy really didn't seem to have a clue what this frame construction is. He said AL lugs, but your link's description makes no such mention... and to me, given way lugs flow into top/down tubes looks like they (lug AND tube it flows to) must be the same material.

Differences between 750 & SLOWHAND's MARIN is not discernible to me.

Good sleuthing Davcruz!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks JDM, I knew about Trigon over a year ago and suspected they made the frame but for some reason I didn't think to put the info here when you brought it back up again....

JDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Got mine built... impressions

Me & buddie built this frame up last night, here's a photo:

It's +/- 3yr old 2x10 DA group I've moved from bike to bike a few times, great working shape but maybe 3k miles. I'll put in a plug for these Handle Bars:

I took a gamble on them... really nice. I have Richey WCS Pro Carbon bars which I love. These are a little stiffer, better shaping and very very nice. At $103 new from good folks at KBCycleWerxs, they're a steal.

Impressions: I bought this frame as a back-up/beater bike I could ride in rain, put a lock on, and such... had low expectations.

I did about 40 miles on it this morning, got it adjusted/sized pretty close along the way, and frame significantly above my hopes. On roads, some of 'em full of cracks & humps, on way to our River Bike trail, frame was a bit more sensitive to rough surfaces than my everyday rider, but not harsh at all (as I feared it may be). It's provides a very nice ride over rough surfaces: no complaints whatsoever (no aluminum type shock transfer)... very happy.

I don't race at all, but I'm very fit & do min. 60 miles p/day. This frame is pretty stiff in right places: powers up well on chainstays w/little lost power... again, much more so than my fav. daily rider (OS Platinum X frame w/CAMPY CHORUS/RECORD Drive & AM 420 wheels). IMO description @ TRIGON's site, eg:
    Down tube:musseleye profile C7 tubing with oversized bottom bracket profile for improved lateral rigidity and increase power transfer
    ... is an accurate statement: this frame accomplishes that pretty well. Better in fact, than some of pricier frames that make similar claims which I've ridden. Maybe not as aesthetically pleasing as solid monocoque builds, but effective. And there are some very pricey, elite carbon frames that take this design approach (Pinarrelo has a couple, as does Ridley).

I generally like longer"euro" geometry (I'm near alone amongst my friends in that regard), this frame's more compact. Probably well suited to crits if that's what one's looking for. I do most of my miles pretty flat around here, and like the feel of long wheel base that feels like I'm on rails... eg: carve a turn rather than steer. Still, this frame's fine based on geometry.

I enjoyed the ride, my resurrected old ROLF's (thanks ABQ LBS: CYCLE CAVE for finding new parts to rebuild what I thought was expired rear wheel on this set) did well... although I'm spoiled from AM 420's on my main ride.

All in all, I ended up w/a lot more than I was shooting for with this frame. It's pretty damn functional, strong in all the right places, and forgiving enough to go on any paved surface here in Albuquerque w/out chipping teeth. I'd recommend it, and I think it was a bargain.

Weighed in @ 16.4 lbs (w/out pedals) on a Topeak Digital... not too bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I am glad you like the frame. What forks are they?

On the bars, they look nice and the price is right although $129.99 now but still cheap, however where do you mount your computer?

JDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I am glad you like the frame. What forks are they?
    Reynolds Ouzo Pro. A friend removed decals to save weight... I wish that was a snarky one liner, but it's actually true. He remains anonymous to protect his reputation.

however where do you mount your computer?
    Rarely use one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Here is a little update on my Flite 750 frame and fork.

I have used it as my daily ride since I built it up. I still love this frame! However the fork that it was delivered with is a bit lacking in my opinion. I broke it this week, it has a hairline crack down by the dropout. I had no idea it was there but I do remember hearing a noise as I dismounted on Tuesdays ride. I ran over gum on Wednesday ride and when I went to pick it out of the fork crown I noticed the crack. This was after a decent lunch ride, so I am thankful it did not come apart on me during a ride. I removed the fork and have ordered an Alpha Q GS20 replacement from eBay for a steal of a price (99.50 including shipping!!!) brand new.

Just thought I would throw out my story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I just got this same frame and fork last Thursday and love it. I have been riding and racing a giant txr alliance since 2007. I took all the components off of it and built up this ohs flite. It is amazing the difference in power transfer compared to my giant. I am flying up hills. No flex, no creeking of the frame and no vibration. If anyone is still riding this frame, let me know please how it is holding, because I love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I am still riding mine. Still holding up great and what an improvement the switch to the Alpha Q GS20 fork has been.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12