My Kona King Zing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

My Kona King Zing

Well, since there's no Kona forum, and i finally took a couple shots of my King Zing, i guess i'll post them on here...

Feb 2007
    That is one fine looking bike, sir.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    i was in a local shop in sf this past weekend (mojo bike cafe, really cool place just opening up in sf) picking up a kona lisa rd for my wife and they had an 06 king zing (i think 58cm, thank goodness it's too large for me!). a beautiful looking bike in all respects. i did a little test ride with a king supreme carbon bike with my wife, first time on a carbon road frame. i was surprised i could tell a difference from my aluminum framed bike even just tooling around the neighborhood at low speed, but i could.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    i was in a local shop in sf this past weekend (mojo bike cafe, really cool place just opening up in sf) picking up a kona lisa rd for my wife and they had an 06 king zing (i think 58cm, thank goodness it's too large for me!). a beautiful looking bike in all respects. i did a little test ride with a king supreme carbon bike with my wife, first time on a carbon road frame. i was surprised i could tell a difference from my aluminum framed bike even just tooling around the neighborhood at low speed, but i could.

Good carbon is very noticeable. I didn't initially like carbon much (in the '90s) but it has come a long, long way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Kona King Zing

Just wanted to let you see my "new to me" used Kona King Zing team frame before build-up. We may have the beginning of a Kona Road Bike forum here!

Kona King Zing.jpg

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    I had only seen a few Kona mountain bikes but recently was in Columbus Ohio and stopped by a shop and they had a Zing Deluxe(alum/carbon) and the fit/finish/quality blew me away. The frame was made using hydroform/water and there were so many subtle curves on the bike you just wanted to rub the whole bike down. Next road bike: Kona
    There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I'm anxious to get this bike built up and get to riding. I'm glad to hear from you abou the quality of the frames. I still don't know too much about these, of course they haven't been making road bikes for very long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    man, those are good looking bikes. love those stays.

is that a dog bone propping up your bike in the yard?

May 2007
    Wow! That's nice! I really like the colors that Kona picks for their bikes. We were talking about it at the bike shop that I work at, Doug's Spoke N' Sport in Saskatoon, WOOT! about how Konas age really well. Especially compared to like a trek, an older Kona will still look cool. But I'm getting off topic. I'm in the process of buying a new road bike. I love what Kona's doing with their bikes, and I want to get the Zing Supreme or the King Zing. I might even get a regular old Zing next year as a replacement training bike from my Trek 1000, and turn that thing into a commuter/singlespeed?
    Does anyone know how much the 2007 King Zing and Zing Supremes weigh?

May 2007
    Wait, do you have a full Campy set on your King Zing? That's awesome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance
    man, those are good looking bikes. love those stays.

is that a dog bone propping up your bike in the yard?

Yep, that's a dog bone. The mutts were kind enough to lend it to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln343
    Wait, do you have a full Campy set on your King Zing? That's awesome!

Yeah, i do. I had the group from a previous bike, and like Campy a little more than Shimano. I bought the King Zing, sold the Dura-Ace kit to a buddy who was getting a new frame, and swapped my stuff over. Everyone was happy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Kona King Zing team frame

Well, it's finally built up! The photo looks a little out of focus. I'll do better next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    very nice. where did you get the stand?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    It's called a "GrandstanD". You can find them on the internet. I got mine at the Pearl Izumi store in Ft. Worth, TX.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8
    Well, it's finally built up! The photo looks a little out of focus. I'll do better next time.

Nice, it looks great!

Sep 2005
    Here's my Kona Zing. Compared to the CF bikes I've had this bike ain't that harsh at all for being aluminum. I don't ride as much as I used to and wanted to free up my money for some other stuff, so after comparing other brands, this often overlooked bike offers a lot of value, especially the Deda 7003 Force tubing.

May 2007
    Just got my Zing Supreme a week ago, and have been riding it lots. I love the bike, especially the carbon cranks. Its a little heavy for racing, but I figure I can upgrade the bar and stem and seat post next year to make it a bit lighter, and then if i have the money, get a set of Campy Shamal Gold wheels, they "only" retail for about $2000 Canadian. lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

nice orange!

anyone know where i might find a king zing in that killer orange color? size 58... i'm your guy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

Orange King Zing

My orange King Zing was a team bike for Velo Pro Cycling in Santa Barbara, CA. It's the only one I've seen, although there are probably some more out there somewhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    It is a *stunner*! That orange color on those curves is unreal. I contacted Velo Pro but doubt I'd get so lucky to find one in my size. I'm really curious how they ride; I know Kona doesnt "make" the frame (outsourced from Dedacciai) but I am impressed that they picked this one to put up on top of their line. Very curious about the frameset's performance and ride characteristics; I've ridden high end bikes of every material; still looking for the one that suits me best and that is unique and not seen everywhere. The King Zing basically caught my eye cause I've never seen one on the roads...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Kind of waiting for the 08's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by motolombardo
    Kind of waiting for the 08's

dayum that sht looks hot! what model? got any more info?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    08 kona kapu

heres the full bike pic

https://www.dirty-pages.net/images/n...1183489976.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    dont speak german but heres some others.
    http://www.dirty-pages.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast