My New 2011 Wilier Izoard - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    pbd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ssach View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum but have been reading several reviews. I saw the Izoard XP at a local shop and loved the look. After doing some research I found myself asking if the the added $$ was worth it or if I should settle on a XXX w/ 105. Well I ended up with the Wilier w/ SRAM from CC. They offered great service and are very laid back (spoke to a few of them and all are great) with no hard selling techniques.

Anyway the wait is on. I have not been on a road bike in several years and looking forward to my 20-40 mile weekend rides.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Sanjay
    Enjoy! Waiting for it is tough, I know. It took my bike 4 days to travel 1900 miles, and another 3 days to make it the last 3 miles from the UPS site to my house. It arrived in my city too late for the last truck on Friday, then because of Memorial Day it didn't get delivered until the following Tuesday. It was agony to know it was so close.

Ride the heck out of it, it's a fun bike for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Hi all, I just received my Izorad XP with SRAM Force yesterday from CC. With cages and pedals it is 17.1 lbs size large (a little heavier then I would have thought but fine for me).
    My Waterford Paramount is 21.5 lbs and my Specialized M2 is 19.4 lbs, I just need to loose a little weight I we should be fine.

I haven't rode a bike in like 12 years because of a bad hip which I had replaced last November. I felt up to it so I dusted off the old bikes and can pretty much ride pain FREE!!! plus I can tie my shoes and cut my toenails
    We purchased a new bike for my Wife and I was pretty jealous so for our 27 year anniversary she gave me the go ahead to by a bike and the Izorad it was. Looking at putting many miles on this fine bike....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    CC had the Izoard XP w/Rival on sale, how much did they charge you for the upgrade to Force?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    $2700.00, came with little different wheels and other components..I think R&A had an Ultegra for a couple hundred cheaper but I thought I'd give SRAM a try as I have Campy and Shimano on my other two bikes.

For now I think the only thing I may upgrade is the seatpost..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I find it weird that the Izoard comes with an aluminum seat post. My entry-level Giant Defy has a carbon post, and it just seems odd to go back to aluminum if I were to upgrade to this bike.

pbd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    ^It's either a compromise to try to hit a pricepoint (and you have to admit, the bike is at one heck of a price point for the overall kit), or an overstock type deal bundled to make a good deal and move some product.

Either way, it's a heck of a deal.

From a quick ebay search, the FSA Al seatpost is going for ~$40, so you could easily sell it for something and put it towards the post you want.

Or, you could ask Competitive to swap out something else for you, maybe for an upcharge, but still get a decent discount? They had no problem swapping stem, cassette, and derailleur for me. They swapped all those for equivalent items (same stem in different length, Rival 11-32 cassette, and the Rival mid-cage derailleur to handle the 32-tooth cassette), so they did that for no charge, but I'm betting they would swap other things for reasonable fees as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Test rode the Ultegra build Izoard today and thought it was an awesome bike! Also rode the Focus Izalco Team Replica, and thought the Izoard more than held its own against a higher-price point machine. One concerning thing though was that the medium Ultegra Izoard weighed in at 19.0 lbs w/o pedals! The Izalco with my SPDs weighed 17.1lbs. I definitely didn't feel the weight difference on the road or on the shorter climbs I did during my test rides, but it is concerning that the Izoard is coming in much heavier than expected.

I wonder how much lighter the SRAM Rival build I plan to order from CC w/ the Mavic K10 wheels will be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Hey guys,

question for those with a 2011 Izoard, there is a bar code sticker on the downtube near the bottom bracket. Did you remove this? I'm concerned that it might mess up the paint.

Please let me know

thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I removed mine and it didn't do anything to the paint...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    nice. did you just peel it off or did you use a blowdryer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Nope, just used my fingernails...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Crazy....I pealed mine off and look what happened. Sent it back to Competitive Cyclist because i assume the clear coat was defective. i was extremely careful taking it off too
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    No way really!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I just weighed my Large Isoard XP 1207 grams. Uncut fork 582 grams. I'll post pics and weight after final build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Just got mine Friday, after a delay (mix up on frame size).
    16.5lbs without pedals etc. Have 105/FSA with my own Mavic Ksyriums SLs.
    1st impressions very good. Did 40 odd miles over the weekend.
    Got it for 1550 (I'm in Ireland). Don't think I could do much better for the price!
    Happier I went with the 2011 vs 2010 model. Just think it looks nicer and will age better.
    Now I just need to save up for the Ultegra Di2 that was just announced

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hagi View Post
    Just got mine Friday, after a delay (mix up on frame size).
    16.5lbs without pedals etc. Have 105/FSA with my own Mavic Ksyriums SLs.
    1st impressions very good. Did 40 odd miles over the weekend.
    Got it for 1550 (I'm in Ireland). Don't think I could do much better for the price!
    Happier I went with the 2011 vs 2010 model. Just think it looks nicer and will age better.
    Now I just need to save up for the Ultegra Di2 that was just announced
    What components do you have on the bike? I'd be thrilled if my medium SRAM Rival build w/ Mavic K-10's came in below 17 lbs. It should be here by Friday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by djpfine View Post
    What components do you have on the bike? I'd be thrilled if my medium SRAM Rival build w/ Mavic K-10's came in below 17 lbs. It should be here by Friday.
    It's a standard enough setup. 2010 105 groupset. FSA Gossamer brakeset, Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. Velomann cages. Generic carbon seatpost. Ritchey finishing kit. Moving to 105 pedals from SPDs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    As an fyi, it got me up the col du telegraphe, col du galibier and alpe du huez on Monday without issues! Great bike! And the downhills went well as well

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Has anyone ridden the Izoard xp and the original iozard?

Has anybody had the chance to compare the Iozard and the Iozard xp? Some are saying the carbon is different and steerer is aluminum. Wilier says the carbon is the same just the fork is diiferent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I've not had the chance to test these bikes, but I was willing to buy one a few weeks ago (bought a Trek Madone 4.7 instead...). Wilier clearly states that the carbon of Izoard XP is different from the Izoard. The new one (XP version) is built with unidirectional carbon fibers, the previous version was built with a Plain 3K carbon cloth. The fork is different too, the new one has a different shape as well as an aluminium pivot.
    The new version is also a bit heavier that the previous one.

pbd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by x-eff View Post
    I've not had the chance to test these bikes, but I was willing to buy one a few weeks ago (bought a Trek Madone 4.7 instead...). Wilier clearly states that the carbon of Izoard XP is different from the Izoard. The new one (XP version) is built with unidirectional carbon fibers, the previous version was built with a Plain 3K carbon cloth. The fork is different too, the new one has a different shape as well as an aluminium pivot.
    The new version is also a bit heavier that the previous one.
    The carbon difference in the frame is only in the outermost layer, which means the difference is essentially cosmetic only. All the structural layers underneath are the same, and only the outermost layer uses a cheaper, but less pretty, unidirectional sheet instead of the prettier, more expensive weave. Strength and weight differences are negligible, but the cosmetic differences are obvious.

The new fork is the major difference, with an aluminum steerer instead of the fork being all-carbon. This adds significant weight, but it also makes the fork a lot more idiot-proof for beginners like myself. Carbon steerers are lighter, but you have to be more careful with them when tightening the stem.

Teo
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Good to see people are happy with this bike. Just ordered mine from Competetive. I went with the Force build and EA 50 Aero wheels, for 2,500 shipped. Hope i like it. Been using my Scott mountain bike with slicks as a road bike. Can't wait to get mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Congrats, Teo....as always, post up a picture or two when you get it! Also, any opinions on the CC ordering experience / delivery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbd View Post
    With pedals and cages, my large frame Izoard XP with Rival from CC is right at 19 lbs. Competitive's site says I should be at about 17.25 with the same pedals and cages. Interesting, but I'm not really worried about it. It's already 10 pounds lighter than my last bike, and it wouldn't be that hard to drop some weight easily. Wheels, crank, seatpost, several other things, and the weight would come down fast.

Competitive's site also doesn't adjust weight for each frame size, it seems, so that would make some difference too.

I would post a picture, but I don't have enough posts yet. Will do soon.
    I test road a '10 Izoard then bought an '09 after they gave an offer I couldn't refuse. the
    '10 model felt faster, it had Fulcrum 7s. Mine weighed in at 18 even, I replaced the Mavics with Vuelta Corsa Super Lights at 1480 grams, then replaced the crankset, bars/stem and spacers with FSA K-Force Lights carbon pieces. The current weight is 16 1/2 lbs. Next update FSA K-Force seat post and skewers, then a lighter wheelset, The lighter components really make the bike wake up and handle much crisper.
    I have an FSA K-Force seat post and skewers on order. I will also go to a lighter wheelset. This should drop me into the 15 lb range.
    I love this bike it is a blast to ride!
    I tried upload but have a crappy computer.
    Last edited by FNGRIDER; 08-26-2011 at 11:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Question for those of you who bought through CC, do they pre-cut the steer tube or leave it factory length?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast