New BH G5 - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New BH G5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

It is an improvement....

Stopped by on Friday and they had the red built (SRAM Red, DT Swiss, etc) up as shown on the BH site. I wasn't expecting to stop by so I didn't have my road shoes. I did take it for a quick spin around the block and up a couple of hills.........It is an improvement. The front end is much stiffer which is supposedly the one of the improvements they made due to the use of the Edge fork. I'm not sure if the G5 climbs better than the G4 since I really couldn't mash on the pedals since I didn't have my shoes. With my skills, not sure I could anyways.

The bike is BEAUTIFUL in Ferrari red. IMO, it's one of those bikes that just looks fast by looking at it. The blue is nice but I like the red better. It just looks faster!

The owner told me he was building up the blue frame with Di2.

I only wish BH would come out with the G4 Ag2R colors like the one of the picture above in this thread. The owner told me that pic rumored to be the engineer's bike.

FTP testing
    Quote Originally Posted by threshold350
    Stopped by on Friday and they had the red built (SRAM Red, DT Swiss, etc) up as shown on the BH site. I wasn't expecting to stop by so I didn't have my road shoes. I did take it for a quick spin around the block and up a couple of hills.........It is an improvement. The front end is much stiffer which is supposedly the one of the improvements they made due to the use of the Edge fork. I'm not sure if the G5 climbs better than the G4 since I really couldn't mash on the pedals since I didn't have my shoes. With my skills, not sure I could anyways.

The bike is BEAUTIFUL in Ferrari red. IMO, it's one of those bikes that just looks fast by looking at it. The blue is nice but I like the red better. It just looks faster!

The owner told me he was building up the blue frame with Di2.

I only wish BH would come out with the G4 Ag2R colors like the one of the picture above in this thread. The owner told me that pic rumored to be the engineer's bike.
    Thanks for writing about your brief experience with the G5. I can't wait until more reviews get written up. I am really considering the G5 along with the Look. I just want to hear how the G5 compares to other frames in its class. It has so much potential, I just don't know if it will live up to it. I sure hope it does. It looks killer!! Not sure the $3300 price tag is enough to justify the looks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Comparing to the LOOK....The mechanic of my LBS owns a Look 595. He was the first one to take it for a spin. I asked how it compared and he said it seemed to ride the same but to make a fair comparison he would need to swap out the wheels for his. From his quick impressions though, he said it is very close or pretty much rides the same (comfy, quick, and climbs like a goat). The bike has peeked his interest though which is saying a lot about the G5. He rode the 595 for 430+ miles in 24hr to qualify for The Race Across America.

FTP testing
    Quote Originally Posted by threshold350
    Comparing to the LOOK....The mechanic of my LBS owns a Look 595. He was the first one to take it for a spin. I asked how it compared and he said it seemed to ride the same but to make a fair comparison he would need to swap out the wheels for his. From his quick impressions though, he said it is very close or pretty much rides the same (comfy, quick, and climbs like a goat). The bike has peeked his interest though which is saying a lot about the G5. He rode the 595 for 430+ miles in 24hr to qualify for The Race Across America.
    Thanks for mentioning that. The G5 is on my short list, along with the Look 595/586. I just hope that I can take a spin on a G5 soon and that more reviews will start coming up soon. I know the frames are hard to come by as of now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    here is another perspective; take it for what it is..

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...61607&start=15

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Last week I checked out my LBS here in SLC, UT, they have built up a G5 with Di2 ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

BH G5 Review

I have had my G5 for a week now and posted some pics and initial thoughts on my website:
    http://www.bikesonmain.com/index.php?sid=56

In the interest of full disclosure, I only have a few hundred miles on the frame, and I own a shop and deal in BH. That said, I think it is an awesome bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In a perhaps futile effort to revive this thread, does anyone have any personal photos of the BH G5, personal impressions of the bike to add? There's one bike shop in my state (NJ) that sells BH bikes, and he says that my size, 54cm will not be available for a while (He has a G4 but that is a 55.5cm (top tube measurement).

I could have test ridden the G4, but didn't have shoes for it. The G4 looks awesome in person, and the one I saw had Dura Ace 7800 with Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels--it felt like 15lbs, slightly lighter than my former Cevelo Soloist with the same setup but with Zipp 404 tubulars. I expect the G4 to look even better in person.

I think if I spring for the G5, I can only afford the frameset, and hang some old Campy Record components on it. Of course my dream would be to get the Record 11 or SRAM Red, but that's just a pipe dream. I hear the frameset goes for around $3200, but I am sure that is negotiable.

On another note, I remember reading recently in some other forum that AG2R Mondiale will not be riding on BH bikes next year, but that is probably an unsupported rumor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

g5

Quote Originally Posted by ping771
    In a perhaps futile effort to revive this thread, does anyone have any personal photos of the BH G5, personal impressions of the bike to add? There's one bike shop in my state (NJ) that sells BH bikes, and he says that my size, 54cm will not be available for a while (He has a G4 but that is a 55.5cm (top tube measurement).

I could have test ridden the G4, but didn't have shoes for it. The G4 looks awesome in person, and the one I saw had Dura Ace 7800 with Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels--it felt like 15lbs, slightly lighter than my former Cevelo Soloist with the same setup but with Zipp 404 tubulars. I expect the G4 to look even better in person.

I think if I spring for the G5, I can only afford the frameset, and hang some old Campy Record components on it. Of course my dream would be to get the Record 11 or SRAM Red, but that's just a pipe dream. I hear the frameset goes for around $3200, but I am sure that is negotiable.

On another note, I remember reading recently in some other forum that AG2R Mondiale will not be riding on BH bikes next year, but that is probably an unsupported rumor.
    You can check out my pics of the G5 and my preliminary review at www.bikesonmain.com. Just click on more information on the G5 picture on the front page and if will bring up the review. I am a shop owner, so I do have my biases, but I love the bike. Just upgraded from the G4 and I am very happy with the G5. The G5 improved over the G4 in all the right places and then some.
    tom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twaggener
    You can check out my pics of the G5 and my preliminary review at www.bikesonmain.com. Just click on more information on the G5 picture on the front page and if will bring up the review. I am a shop owner, so I do have my biases, but I love the bike. Just upgraded from the G4 and I am very happy with the G5. The G5 improved over the G4 in all the right places and then some.
    tom
    Thanks--I read those a while ago--seems like you're the only one who has written a review of the G5 who is not from a magazine. Great impressions. You should do some updates with more photos!

Btw, what size is the blue G5 on your site (looks mighty large) and in particular, what is the size of the red G5 (looks a lot smaller, and which is probably my size)?

Edit: Just read the top of your article again. The red G5 is a 56cm. Maybe it's just the angles, but that doesn't look a 56cm. The top tube does not look like over 55cm (55.7cm to be exact), but hey who am I to argue?
    Last edited by ping771; 10-13-2009 at 09:51 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

g5

Mine is a 57cm, which has a dramatically taller head tub at 185 mm. the red is a 56cm which is still for sale by the way
    tom
    I will post more reviews and pics when I get around to it. I am going to upgrade the cables to nokons and powercordz and try out some zero gravity brakes. Probably switch the bar tape back to lizards skins which is my all time favorite bar tape so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ping771
    Thanks--I read those a while ago--seems like you're the only one who has written a review of the G5 who is not from a magazine. Great impressions. You should do some updates with more photos!

Btw, what size is the blue G5 on your site (looks mighty large) and in particular, what is the size of the red G5 (looks a lot smaller, and which is probably my size)?

Edit: Just read the top of your article again. The red G5 is a 56cm. Maybe it's just the angles, but that doesn't look a 56cm. The top tube does not look like over 55cm (55.7cm to be exact), but hey who am I to argue?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

My New BH G5

Hi all,
    Here are a few pics of my new G5. It rides like a dream, Like I said in another post, it's not like you climb on board this bike, it's more like you put it on and wear it. I honestly don't know if it is just that the geometry suits my frame or if it is the bike. I'm 5'10" and long trunk. I love it to bits. It accelerates like nothing I have ever ridden before, and handles like a dream. I thought that the 404's were the wrong choice until I rode it, thought it would be more suited to 303's. Seems I was wrong, the 404's climb really well (tubular version) and I'm exceedingly happy with it the way it is. My build is:
    54 cm frame
    3T Limited bar/Stem
    Selle SMP Full Carbon Saddle
    Titanium cages
    Zipp 404 tubular
    Campagnolo 11 Super Record
    Lizard Skin bar tape
    Power Cordz cables
    Durace pedals (until the new speedplays with built in power meter are released early next year)
    built up as above it comes in at a smidgen over 6.2kg (13.67lbs)
    I have to say that I was hoping for sub 6kg, but in honesty, I've got a lot more than 200 gms to lose :-/

I haven't ridden enough top of the line bikes to compare in honesty, but I can't imagine that there are many out there that transfer power into acceleration as well as this does. It's almost like it goes forward quicker than it should for the power I'm putting down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Here's the first pic :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gentleman_nosh
    Hi all,
    Here are a few pics of my new G5. It rides like a dream, Like I said in another post, it's not like you climb on board this bike, it's more like you put it on and wear it. I honestly don't know if it is just that the geometry suits my frame or if it is the bike. I'm 5'10" and long trunk. I love it to bits. It accelerates like nothing I have ever ridden before, and handles like a dream. I thought that the 404's were the wrong choice until I rode it, thought it would be more suited to 303's. Seems I was wrong, the 404's climb really well (tubular version) and I'm exceedingly happy with it the way it is. My build is:
    54 cm frame
    3T Limited bar/Stem
    Selle SMP Full Carbon Saddle
    Titanium cages
    Zipp 404 tubular
    Campagnolo 11 Super Record
    Lizard Skin bar tape
    Power Cordz cables
    Durace pedals (until the new speedplays with built in power meter are released early next year)
    built up as above it comes in at a smidgen over 6.2kg (13.67lbs)
    I have to say that I was hoping for sub 6kg, but in honesty, I've got a lot more than 200 gms to lose :-/

I haven't ridden enough top of the line bikes to compare in honesty, but I can't imagine that there are many out there that transfer power into acceleration as well as this does. It's almost like it goes forward quicker than it should for the power I'm putting down.
    My mouth is gaping--simply, wow. Beautiful, beautiful bike.
    My bike shop that sells BH says that some people see a photo of the bike and are turned off since the G5 looks turquoise in photos. That blue looks stunning in person I bet, it's a kind of blue I have never seen before anywhere.

I regret selling my Zipp 404 tubulars now. A couple questions.

1) I am 5'8" and I thought a 54cm would fit me. Seeing you are 5'10" I don't know if a 54cm would fit me well. I thought BH's run small (both top tube and seat tube wise) and given their relatively shallow seat tube angles. I also have a short legs and longer torso. What length stem are you running? 110mm? I know that BH frames look really small, so you must feel like a giant on your bike. I had a chance to see a medium G4 in person (56 top tube length) and the standover height is so low, that I had to do a double take to make sure it was not a 54cm). The current G5 medium is called a 57cm btw.

2) 6.2 kg is superlight so don't worry, that is plenty light. If I may suggest, to lose those extra 200 or so grams, the Speedplays (depending on which on you get) will drop you at least 100 or more grams. Dura Ace pedals are one of the heaviest pro pedals on the market. Also, Elite carbon cages will probably drop another 25g. Also, it doesn't look like you have Zipp skewers---are your skewers titanium--if not, get them and you will drop 50-75 grams per set. Lastly, since saddle choice is a very personal choice, I wouldn't recommend swapping saddles to lose weight, but if so inclined, a Prologo Scratch and even more so, a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio (my favorite) will definitely drop you another 100 or more grams. The SMP's, though reportedly more comfortable, are a tad heavy.

3) Since Campy does not make BB30 bb, is the adapter removable easily (i.e. violate any warranty in doing so) in case you go for the BB30 later on?

Anyways, congrats on a gorgeous bike.
    Last edited by ping771; 10-14-2009 at 09:20 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Hi,
    Thanks for the compliment, it is a seriously beautiful bike to ride. Rode it in anger today down into Berowra waters gorge. The entire trip down at 4-8 degrees is reduced to one hard grab of the brakes for a hairpin turn, all the others (and some are quite tight) you just lean in and rail around them. Unbelievable how much confidence this bike gives.

I like a bike that is a little small for me, but this seems to fit me fine, I have a 100cm stem on it, and when I'm on the hoods, it's a straight line down from my eyes to the skewers. I think that because of the relaxed seat angle, the bike feels longer than the 54cm size would suggest. I certainly wouldn't want a larger size and I really think that if you are built like me, the two inches in height won't be enough of a difference to look at a different size frame. I don't feel like it's tiny under me at all, and I have the seatpost just slightly over halfway out.

the speedplays with the power meter built in aren't out yet, so I'll stick with the pedals from my old bike until then. The saddle is the full carbon version, 105gms, so unless I go silly light, I won't lose any weight there.
    The cages are titanium and are only 22 gms each. There isn't a cage on the market at that weight that can hold a bottle as rock solid as these, and come close to the weight. I've seen a few carbon cages at 19gms each, but I couldn't lose the certainty I get when I slide the bottle into these cages.
    I have track skewers, can't really see the point of QR when you ride tubs. Not like your going to swap them on the road. My Tufo S3 Lites are 215gms, I suppose I could have dropped a bit and gone with the 160 gm tires, but I've not got the best surfaced roads around here. I've filled them with Tufo sealant and I feel pretty safe and think that it's about the most flat proof ride I could get. The titanium track skewers come in at 46gms for the pair, so no weight to be lost there.

I ordered my frame from Speedgoat cycles, they were great. They pressed in the cups for me before the frame was sent out. I think that the cups came from BH, and were a replacement for the standard cups that were for a non BB30 Shimano setup. They sent the standard cups as well, so I assume they had to take those out to get the Campy ones in. I honestly can't see the Super Record cranks coming out for a lot of years, so not sure if I'll ever find out about taking out the cups. I had a good look at the setup before I assembled my bike, and they don't look like they would be impossible to get out if you needed them out.

Thanks for your feedback on my beautiful bike. I don't remember ever being this happy at having a new bike in the 40 years I've been riding. Sometimes I just find my self looking at it and admiring it's form. I'ts truly a work of art.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow you are more of weight weenie than I am! Given what you said, there is not much more you can to drop the 200g other than the pedals. Keep on riding!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lots more pics here:
    http://velocitynation.com/content/ga...-g5-first-look
    Fabulous bike.
    <a href="http://www.nyvelocity.com/">nyvelocity.com</a>

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    haha! Gentleman! I knew it, you do live in Oz.

Well there will be another Aussie in a couple of weeks time also on a G5 can't wait!

It'll have 595 as a stable mate though, so comparisons should be interesting. Also I'm glad it's getting Chorus and some heavy-ish alu rims, otherwise I'd be under 6.8 without trying too hard at all.
    Which is not what I want, as it's going to be my race bike this season. And with an ITT up and out of Benwerrin it will have plenty of chances to show it's skills going up a mountainside.
    "If you could eat it in one sitting, hold your line."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Oh and that red ALMOST makes me wish I'd ordered that one!

Looks stunning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

My G5 ...

This is the "low end" one, but it's a beautiful bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Low end?? Says who!

Looks great!

And white spoked wheels are certainly on the list for my next possible set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Those are all some sweet looking rigs. I'm thinking of getting one myself, but I'm torn between the G5, Cervelo S2 and Orbea Orca. Anyone have any thoughts or feedback on any of those compared to the G5? What do you like and dislike about it? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    jchoo - where did you get those wheels? And what's their RRP??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    The wheels were part of the standard package (model 9.2 as sold in Europe): http://www.bhbikes.com/en/catalogo/2...5_92_ampli.htm

It seems that standard configurations in Europe and in the US are not the same.

Wheels are from Cole : http://www.colewheels.com/road-rollen-elite.htm
    I don't know the RRP, but as it's part of the entry package, it should be an affordable wheelset

The 9.2 list price in Europe is 3499 Euros and I got a 10% discount.
    As a rule of thumb, considering exchange rate and difference of taxation, price in USD should be in the same range.

On paper, the 9.2 is really a bargain: 6.7 kg for the small frame size, without accessories.
    My frame is the large one. I was expecting 7 kg with pedals and carbon bottle cages.
    I've been disappointed by the weight as measured in the shop : 7.3 kgs.
    Beside the size there are a few differences with the nominal datasheet (tires, handlebar...)
    I could have refused the bike, but it's so beautiful that it was not possible.
    My reseller promised a discount on further purchases as a compensation...

And on the road this bike is a dream, especially when climbing.

Note that I'm 47, back to serious biking since last year after an interruption of 28 years.
    My level doesn't justify this bike, but the bike will motivate my progress.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    To be honest, I would have been quite amazed with the components on there if it'd come to 7kgs.

I think 7.3 is about right.

Good thing is, groupset and bars have at least 300g worth of saving should you want to upgrade them to something like Force. In fact, with what you could get for the Ultegra the change over would not be all that pricey.

Additionally a really nice set of black SiSl cranks would not only look A1 but really drop a lot of weight.

It's lovely and with still a lot of potential!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast