New BH G5 - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New BH G5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I have a quick question about the G5. In some pics the bare carbon looks like it has a matte finish and in others it seems gloss. Can anyone who has one or has seen one in person comment on the carbon finish?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I have seen both colors at the bike shop. They are both gloss, and they both look very nice indeed. I really think it's the best looking bike out there - in either color. It rides really well too, but I only got to spend a very sort time on it, and not over any really "telling" terrain. It was stiff and comfortable though, with excellent power transfer. Even on such a short test ride, it really stood out to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I probably won't have the opportunity to try one out before I order, but it sounds like I won't be disappointed.

RoadBikeReview Member

Carbon on the G5

The "non painted" carbon areas on the frame are glossy.
    There is a glossy clear coat over the entire frame.

Hope this is what you were asking?
    A weekend wasted is not always a wasted weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry to hear you won't get to test ride first, but I think you'll be satisfied. Once you get it in, and have a chance to log some miles, I'd appreciate it if you could update me with your thoughts on it. I'd also be curious how it's built up. If I get one I'm going to build it up on my own with SRAM Force, Fulcrum Racing 1's and yet to be determined bars. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Copelandb
    Sorry to hear you won't get to test ride first, but I think you'll be satisfied. Once you get it in, and have a chance to log some miles, I'd appreciate it if you could update me with your thoughts on it. I'd also be curious how it's built up. If I get one I'm going to build it up on my own with SRAM Force, Fulcrum Racing 1's and yet to be determined bars. Thanks!
    I'll let you know how I like it in a couple of weeks. I just placed the order this morning for an ultegra bike in red. I would have liked to build it up from the frameset, but I'll hopefully be riding a little quicker this way....and I can't wait. Always time for upgrades later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Good luck with it. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Mine is sitting at home now, waiting to be built.

Simply stunning in the flesh!
    "If you could eat it in one sitting, hold your line."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Still thinking

I'm still considering the BH G5. I was able to test ride one again today side by side with the Orbea Orca, and for me, the G5 is the better bike (boy was it close). I'm now also considering a Cervelo R3, and will be test riding it again tomorrow. Once I make up my mind between the two, it's a matter of putting the money together, figuring out how I want to build the winner up, and actually pulling the trigger. From those of you that now own a G5, I'd still be very interested in your impressions. If anyone out there can provide feedback on the Cervelo R3, I'd also be interested.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    My G5 should be here next week. Been a long time coming!

BTW - has there been any hints to changes for 2011?
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I've decided on the G5 as well and will hopefully be placing the order within a week. Once I get it I'll post some pictures. Final build looks like it will be the Red and Black Frame with SRAM Red, FSA K Force Crank, Fulcrum Racing 1 Wheels and either FSA Carbon Bars or FSA Plasma if I decide to spend the extra coin.

As far as changes for 2011, I've heard nothing official, but my guess is that it will be minor adjustments in carbon layup and new paint jobs. It probably won't see any major updates since it's a new design anyway. I sure hope I'm right, or I'll be very disappointed after getting the 2010 model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Here is mine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Sweet lookin' bike! What wheels are those? I couldn't tell from the photos. That bike just has such beautiful lines to it. It's very hard not to love! So after having it for a little bit, what are your thoughts on it? As good/better than expected?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Wheels are Token's, but there's been an issue with the front so actually have not ridden it yet.

Not happy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    As far as changes for 2011, I've heard nothing official, but my guess is that it will be minor adjustments in carbon layup and new paint jobs. It probably won't see any major updates since it's a new design anyway. I sure hope I'm right, or I'll be very disappointed after getting the 2010 model.
    Yeah, same here. I was really more curious about color choices. I always prefer bright colors.
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry to hear you've had problems and haven't ridden it. What kind of problem are you having? Is it with the front wheel or front of the bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Front wheel mate.

And there's an issue with the actual rim. Hoping Token don't dog me on it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Well, glad to hear it's not the bike at least. A wheel problem's much easier to fix, even if it's a pain in the arse. Good luck getting it resolved, and out there riding!

Just my two cents, but I'd recommend going and getting some Fulcrum Wheels. I have the Racing Ones, and they are simply incredible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I've got Shamal's on my 595, so looking at either Eurus or Zonda's as a replacement (if possible).

Otherwise may go Fulcrum. Had R5's already, and getting Conti's on and off was almost enough for me to give up the sport for good!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    And you have a 595? Do you have any pics of that one to post? How do you decide which bike to ride for the day!? Both are very sweet rigs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Been some changes to saddle, QR's and (of course) the wheels since these pic's - as they were taken upon completion last year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4170447...7622098391191/

We'll see how competition goes once the BH is on the road. But as for now I do adore my 595, with part of the reason for buying a G5 being that the geo's are pretty close to those of the Look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

On the way - Finally

The order has been placed, and I should take posession of a fully built up bike middle of next week sometime. Final build will be:

BH G5 - Red and Black Color
    Sram Red Components
    FSA K-Force Light Compact Crank w/Ceramic BB
    FSA OS-99 Stem
    FSA K Wing Compact Carbon Bars
    Fulcrum Racing 1 Wheels (from my old bike)

Only thing I'm undecided on is bottle cages. Any recommendations here? I just want some good looking ones that hold on to the bottles well. They could be, but don't have to be carbon.

I should have her with about a week and a half to go before racing up Mt. Evans. It'll be nice to do that freakish climb with a new rig! I'm really rather curious how much that will help my time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The order has been placed, and I should take posession of a fully built up bike middle of next week sometime. Final build will be:

BH G5 - Red and Black Color
    Sram Red Components
    FSA K-Force Light Compact Crank w/Ceramic BB
    FSA OS-99 Stem
    FSA K Wing Compact Carbon Bars
    Fulcrum Racing 1 Wheels (from my old bike)

Only thing I'm undecided on is bottle cages. Any recommendations here? I just want some good looking ones that hold on to the bottles well. They could be, but don't have to be carbon.
    this will be a beautiful build. as for the bottle cages, i would try to find some matching carbon cages in ud carbon, such as arundel mandibles or even bontrager race xxx lites. other than that, i would definitely go for elite pases. all the cages i mentioned here are parts which you'll forget once you have them on your bike - no problems!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I have this ones in my G5 (blue and black). In my opinion the colours combination looks perfect to our bike:
    http://cgi.ebay.es/09-Racing-Full-Ca...#ht_2441wt_654

My G5:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...light=rhgastur

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Nice looking bike. As far as those cages, they look great on your bike, but with mine being the red/black color the combination wouldn't work all that well. I picked up some Elite Custom Race Bottle Cages in Black/White at a LBS for $20 each. They're not carbon, but I think they'll look good anyway, and they seem to have favorable reviews. If they don't work out maybe I'll invest in some nicer carbon ones. Honestly after the coinage I'm dropping on the bike itself it's nice to save a little money on some of the accessories.

I'll post some pics next week when I take posession of the bike. I'm really kind of glad I'm not getting it this week - the weather here is crap! It's been storming every evening this week and is actually going pretty heavy right now! It would really be sad to have that beauty sitting just begging to be ridden and not being able to do it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast