Raleigh anyone ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    More Miles...

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by speedygonzalez2005
    Iam thinking about becoming a Raleigh man as well.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2037303936.html

what do you think?
    I don't know much about singles but that's a sweet ride . Hey, does the emblem on the head tube look like a Miller High Life label to you ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdak
    How about an old Raleigh Team USA? .

That was my first road bike as an adult. Purchased in Detroit, Mich for just over $600 in 1986.

I wish I still had it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I have my old trusty (but not rusty) Raleigh C 30, which I have owned since 1998! It performs better than some of my fellow/sister cyclists' $2500 bikes. Or, maybe I am just a more skilled rider??
    Firm believer in maintenance and my 12 year old bike still looks new! I have to make some minor adjustments from time-to-time, but that only takes a few minutes. Can I be on a commercial already?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushout
    That was my first road bike as an adult. Purchased in Detroit, Mich for just over $600 in 1986.

I wish I still had it.
    I wound up selling both of the Raleighs. They were "sacrificed" so that I could get a 2000 LeMond Zurich. If I ever had "disposable bike income" though I'd like to pick up another one. Love the paint job.

More Miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by kim_y
    I have my old trusty (but not rusty) Raleigh C 30, which I have owned since 1998! It performs better than some of my fellow/sister cyclists' $2500 bikes. Or, maybe I am just a more skilled rider??
    Firm believer in maintenance and my 12 year old bike still looks new! I have to make some minor adjustments from time-to-time, but that only takes a few minutes. Can I be on a commercial already?
    Absolutely, we'll get started on that commercial right away . We will have to see some PICS !!!! of the bike of course .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I've had more high end frames than I care to remember, or sometimes forget, but I will always remember how much I liked my 03 Team. It was the red frame made of Airplane tubing with the Columbus Carve fork and carbon Carve rear end.
    Got it a a swap in 04 for $350. Worth it at twice the price! Wish I had a pic of the damn thing!

Edit: There's a 56cm on Ebay right now...
    Last edited by backinthesaddle; 11-18-2010 at 05:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Fignon rode a Raleigh. It was good enough for him, its good enough for me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I am like Jamesdak, into vintage Raleighs.

And just picked up a 1985 Raleigh Prestige...

Fitness Cycling
    Jan 2011

2006 Raleigh Sport

I have a 2006 Raleigh sport and I love how responsive it is, even with the cro-moly fork. It has taken 3 1/2 years of hard riding and I haven't had a single problem with it, just new tires and tubes as needed. I am completely sold on the Raleigh Bikes. The 2011 stuff is looking pretty sweet, gonna have to buy a Revenio 3.0 or 4.0 this year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rick_guitarist
    I have a 2006 Raleigh sport and I love how responsive it is, even with the cro-moly fork. It has taken 3 1/2 years of hard riding and I haven't had a single problem with it, just new tires and tubes as needed. I am completely sold on the Raleigh Bikes. The 2011 stuff is looking pretty sweet, gonna have to buy a Revenio 3.0 or 4.0 this year!!!
    You'll love the Revenios. I haven't sold a 4.0 yet, but I've sold a 3.0 and a 2.0, and have a 1.0 in the shop. Raleigh made some big improvements this year, which is why they replaced Scott as my primary bike line.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    This is what happened to my 2011 Grand Prix frame =/

The skewer was bent out of the frame while sprinting and all the force bent the seat and chain stays out. The shop bent them back and fixed it up, but I bought a new Ridley Pegasus frame off Ebay to replace it. My frame wasn't covered under warranty because I used aftermarket wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Bought a 2010 Grand Sport late last year as my first road bike. It was really the absolute best value-for-money bike in its price range I could find.
    Love the frame so I hope to upgrade to a 105 groupset by the end of this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks to me that your rear skewer was loose and therefore your rear wheel popped out resulting in the damage.
    I just ordered one of these bikes, how did you like the ride with or without the loose skewer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zitter
    This is what happened to my 2011 Grand Prix frame =/

The skewer was bent out of the frame while sprinting and all the force bent the seat and chain stays out. The shop bent them back and fixed it up, but I bought a new Ridley Pegasus frame off Ebay to replace it. My frame wasn't covered under warranty because I used aftermarket wheels.
    riding: 2013 Cannondale Caad8 w/Rival-FSA-Shimano mix, 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, Cannondale Rize 4 (mountain bike), Cannondale Capo (track bike), Bontrager Race Lite OR (converted to commuter bike), Diamondback Outlook (grocery getter),

RoadBikeReview Member
    2011 Grand Prix picked up!

Two rides down, this purchase was out of my curiosity with riding a steel bike, I have basically transfered much of the components I was using on my Cannondale Caad9, even the wheels on the second ride. There is definitely something special about the steel frame and fork setup although only when roads are smoother. Once it gets rough forget it, it hammers me like mad making me want some carbon fiber under me. But, that special steel feel is there when out of the saddle or on smoother pavement. It's got great racing geometry, the bike is very stable at speed. It's heavy, I weighed the frame at 4.6 lbs and the fork at 2 lbs, in medium size, it's just over 21 lbs. without the spares. I bet a carbon fiber fork would smooth this rough rider out some. I like the classic look to it but as far as it being on par with a carbon bike for comfort, I don't think so, not here anyway. And I still like it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    riding: 2013 Cannondale Caad8 w/Rival-FSA-Shimano mix, 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, Cannondale Rize 4 (mountain bike), Cannondale Capo (track bike), Bontrager Race Lite OR (converted to commuter bike), Diamondback Outlook (grocery getter),

RoadBikeReview Member

Two rides down, this purchase was out of my curiosity with riding a steel bike, I have basically transfered much of the components I was using on my Cannondale Caad9, even the wheels on the second ride. There is definitely something special about the steel frame and fork setup although only when roads are smoother. Once it gets rough forget it, it hammers me like mad making me want some carbon fiber under me. But, that special steel feel is there when out of the saddle or on smoother pavement. It's got great racing geometry, the bike is very stable at speed. It's heavy, I weighed the frame at 4.6 lbs (humm, that might actually be 4lb. 6oz. as the scale I used is graduated in oz., not sure how I got the 4.6lb. right now, 6mo later) and the fork at 2 lbs, in medium size, it's just over 21 lbs. without the spares. I bet a carbon fiber fork would smooth this rough rider out some. I like the classic look to it but as far as it being on par with a carbon bike for comfort, I don't think so, not here anyway. And I still like it!

updated 5/6/2011: I'm not finding any increased comfort in this frame/fork design over my Caad9 Cannondale, I sure do love the Raleigh for it's high speed stability for descending. Big thumbs up to that. I just need to keep my lower back strong and flexible to be able to ride the long low position. I may be switching for fork to smooth things out and drop a pound as the Caad9 sure does a better job damping vibrations up front when the going gets rough.

updated 11/20/2011: forget about this steel frame offering any comfort especially when compared to modern carbon offerings, I did back to back rides on a Scott CR1 and then this Raleigh heavy weight steel and the differences are laughable, the Raleigh had my feet going numb over rougher sections of road..... not fun at my age. I'm trying to "run" back to a full carbon and what better one to want than the Raleigh Militis!
    Last edited by kneejerk; 12-18-2011 at 08:04 AM.

IG
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadent
    DuraAce..nice..what is that going for? North of $2K?
    Much further north, 3x to be exact.

I am interested in the 2011 International, but I've heard the frames are not built and/or finished as nicely as you would expect for a $6000 bicycle. Speaking for myself, my expectations for a $6000 bike are pretty damn high.

I'd love to hear a review from anybody that has ridden the new International.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneejerk View Post
    .....and now with Winwood brand carbon fiber legged fork, which retained the same geometry and smoothed out some of the roughness to roads, down side being some lateral flex (enough to rub brake pads out of the saddle climbing if provoked!), shaved a pound off the bike weight, now weighs 20lbs. complete without spares,

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've reverted back to the steel fork as I found the carbon Winwood fork increased flexing and decressed the steering sharpness that was so nice, this Raleigh is the most confidence inspiring geometry I have been on for fast descending, the stability is impressive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    another transformation with a transfer to 2x10 Sram Rival drivetrain, as I'm slowly selling my roadbikes to get back on a smoother full carbon fiber bike, I'm really liking Raleigh geometry so I really would like to replace this bike with the Militis some day.
    Bike weighs 22.5lbs. with spares seen in photo, I've ditched the frame pump for the Lezyne road drive as I've found it to work pretty well because of it's remote extention hose.
    This Grand Prix bike rides really nice on smooth roads, rough roads bring much suffering to said rider, I've even numbed my feet on a rough descent.

Retrograde Customs
    Apr 2005
    Here's my 2011 Macaframa, 2010 Rush Hour and my 84 Olympian. The only thing not current about these pictures is that the Olympian has a 600 crank now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Rare Raleigh

Howdy!
    This subject is close to my heart, so I've gotta put in my two cents worth.
    I've owned two Raleigh bikes; the first was a late eighty's Grand Prix, which may have been the sweetest riding bike I've ever owned.
    The last one I bought as a frame only, and is one of the most interesting bikes Raleigh ever made(and maybe the most enigmatic).
    It's a '94 model SP-1000 Titanium/753 steel/4140 steel(and maybe some aluminum lugs thrown in, to boot).
    It was a "near top-end" bike, when built, and has stood up well to the test of time.
    The triangle is titanium, bonded to alloy lugs, the stays are 753 steel, brazed to the seat tube and bb, and the front forks are 4140 steel.
    I built it up for a retro look, with Campy brake calipers, Nitto Randoneur bars, Dura Ace aero brakes, Dura ace bar end shifters, Tom Ritchey low "Q" triple crankset, Shimano Biopace chainrings, Ultegra 9 sp.11/28 cogset, ALEX ALX-295 wheelset with sillver rims and polished/bladed spokes, and Veloflex Pave clinchers.
    The color of the bike is bright red with polished(like chrome) highlites on the triangle tubes.
    It's really a classicly beautiful bike that SPARKLES in the sun when being ridden.
    More than once, I've had riders I don't even know, pull alongside to look at the bike and comment on its great looks.
    Just mentioning that its TITANIUM will start a firestom of comments, since more folks are familiar with the old Raleigh "Technium" bikes, and just sorta assume I can't read. Also, the fact that it was made in the mid 'nineties throws folks off a bit, 'cause there weren't that many titanium bike made back then(but the SP-1000 was DEFINITELY one of them).
    I even had a guy stick a magnet on the main tubes(yes, it stuck)as proof that it was steel, NOT titanium. Since MANY Titanium alloys are magnetically attractive, this is no proof at all.
    It has a great ride, although its not as like as later bikes
    Anyway, if you want to see what an SP-1000 looks like and how its made, there are several sites that go into it in great depth, but I caution you that there is more disinformation out there on the net, about this bike, than any I've ever seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    well that transformation didn't last too long I picked up a Scott CR1 and converted parts from that bike over to my Raleigh and strangely I love it even more now, it's such a joy to ride around town now, maybe it's the platform pedals and old fashioned look the white wheels gave it... another aside note is that it now feels more comfortable.... it may be the Conti. tires.... they seem to have added some comfort.... bike weight up to 24lbs. as seen in photo.
    link to CR1 posting http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sco...st3648735.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Raleigh test

Hi, I'm new to this forum. After an absence of any bike activity, since the kids all left home, I decided to ride again. Sold the old Schwinn La Tour, and the 1994 trek 8000, and bought a Trek FX 7.9. Seems like a nice bike and am enjoying it, but I miss that nice steel feel. Compared a Record Ace and the shop owners International this week and was really impressed. Even with the nasty unmaitained roads in the midwest the International was great.

j73
    Roadbikereview member
    Sep 2009

Raleigh Roper 2012

I just got this December 2011, I love it. Coming from a scott aluminum road bike (speedster) it is totally different....excellent ride quality, smooth,tough,DISC BRAKES, it's a little bit on the heavy side but I'm not a racer and don't care much about the weight...upgrades already, shimano pro plt carbon stem, thomson seatpost, bontrager t2 tires in 28's,mavic wintech computer.fizik bar tape, shimano pro plt handlebar shallow drop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

great looking bike

Your bike looks great. Is it aluminum?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast