Ridley Roll Call - Page 2
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    Okay, I've read this post about 15 times and have to wonder a few things...

Did both bikes have the same cockpit? Bars, stem, seat and post?
    Did you ride the bikes with the same wheels on both?
    Did you put each bike through it's paces or did you just ride your normal loop?

I had an Excalibur that rode very well, the bike felt stiffer than the Damocles, but it was a much smoother/muted ride feeling.
    As a caveat, I only had the Excalibur for about 12 weeks before it broke. In that time though, it was ridden 2500+ miles.
    When I got the Damocles, the ride difference was immediately noticeable. It just wasn't as smooth. The front end wasn't as stiff and the bike felt buzzier than the Excalibur. I think part of it was the straight fork. I rode this bike for 2 years and well over 12,000 miles before it broke.
    Now, I'm on an '07 Helium and after @ 500 miles on it, I can say, it's easily the best riding bike I've ever had. It's stiffer AND smoother than the Damocles. It responds better to inputs and is WAAAY lighter.
    The kicker is the fact that, when boiled down, the Helium is an overbuilt Excalibur and it rides that way.
    If the bikes aren't outfitted with the same kit, you can't make an objective judgment, period.

All three bikes were/are D/A 10v with Deda Newton deep bars, Thomson X4 stem and Thomson posts (except the Helium, obvi...). I only ride Flite Ti gel saddles.

If you want a bike that's smooth and does everything well, get a Helium. If you can swing that chunk of change, get the Excalibur. Regardless of what Competitive Cyclist says, the Damocles just isn't the better ride.

that helium is a sweet looking ride. I love my excalibur, but I could see a Helium in my future. is that an 07, or an 08 frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by millerinva
    that helium is a sweet looking ride. I love my excalibur, but I could see a Helium in my future. is that an 07, or an 08 frame?
    It's an 07. They don't even have the 08 frames yet...
    The 08s changed a bit too. I like the 07 better.

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by metricEee
    I'm looking to replace my Kuota kredo which cracked after a few months and Kuota is not replacing (long story, but I'm not impressed with the company at all- or their bike for that matter). Our team is looking into getting a Ridley team purchase together, so I am looking at the damocles (I'm not ready for an integrated seatpost yet). But I seem to be getting all sorts of mixed messages on the ride quality of the damocles. Some people are saying it is too harsh, and others are saying it is super smooth. Can anyone comment on it in terms of comfort, and if you have comparisons to other frames that would help. If I get the Ridley, I am probably going to have to get it without riding it, which makes me nervous.

Also, does anyone know the seatpost diameter?

I have an excalibur, but you won't be disappointed no matter what you pick. Be very careful on sizing - Ridley's run rather large.

Dec 2006
    It's an 07. They don't even have the 08 frames yet...
    The 08s changed a bit too. I like the 07 better.
    Hi , what are the changes made and why do you not like them? 1 more thing, its the Noah or the Helium lighter?
    Bike riding and bike racing are two different things...one seeks enjoyment while the other seeks pain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pina-gal
    Hi , what are the changes made and why do you not like them? 1 more thing, its the Noah or the Helium lighter?
    They changed the rear triangle. It looks like an R3 now. I always liked the look of the "Archer's Bow" rear end of the Ex and the Helium. The 08 bike is supposedly stiffer as well. The 08 weighs less (900g for a small).

The Helium will be lighter than the Noah. If you look at pics from last year's Tour, Cadel and Robbie were both on Helium framesets.

Dec 2006
    They changed the rear triangle. It looks like an R3 now. I always liked the look of the "Archer's Bow" rear end of the Ex and the Helium. The 08 bike is supposedly stiffer as well. The 08 weighs less (900g for a small).

The Helium will be lighter than the Noah. If you look at pics from last year's Tour, Cadel and Robbie were both on Helium framesets.
    hmm, i always thought they were racing on Noahs...i will have to try out the 07 Helium then...
    Bike riding and bike racing are two different things...one seeks enjoyment while the other seeks pain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Has anyone except backinthesaddle experienced problems with the frames?
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderguy
    Has anyone except backinthesaddle experienced problems with the frames?
    Call Monty @ Sinclair...
    According to him, they are getting at least one Excalibur or Damocles back per week for the exact problem I had...
    Only the early (late 04 into mid 05) production frames seem to be affected.

I'm pretty hard on equipment too...

In Ridley's defense, they warranty with no hassles or arguments...

Sep 2002
    Okay, I've read this post about 15 times and have to wonder a few things...

Did both bikes have the same cockpit? Bars, stem, seat and post?
    Did you ride the bikes with the same wheels on both?
    Did you put each bike through it's paces or did you just ride your normal loop?

I had an Excalibur that rode very well, the bike felt stiffer than the Damocles, but it was a much smoother/muted ride feeling.
    As a caveat, I only had the Excalibur for about 12 weeks before it broke. In that time though, it was ridden 2500+ miles.
    When I got the Damocles, the ride difference was immediately noticeable. It just wasn't as smooth. The front end wasn't as stiff and the bike felt buzzier than the Excalibur. I think part of it was the straight fork. I rode this bike for 2 years and well over 12,000 miles before it broke.
    Now, I'm on an '07 Helium and after @ 500 miles on it, I can say, it's easily the best riding bike I've ever had. It's stiffer AND smoother than the Damocles. It responds better to inputs and is WAAAY lighter.
    The kicker is the fact that, when boiled down, the Helium is an overbuilt Excalibur and it rides that way.
    If the bikes aren't outfitted with the same kit, you can't make an objective judgment, period.

All three bikes were/are D/A 10v with Deda Newton deep bars, Thomson X4 stem and Thomson posts (except the Helium, obvi...). I only ride Flite Ti gel saddles.

If you want a bike that's smooth and does everything well, get a Helium. If you can swing that chunk of change, get the Excalibur. Regardless of what Competitive Cyclist says, the Damocles just isn't the better ride.

Yes to all of your questions. When i compare the two bikes i always use the same WHEELSET and handlebar and SEAT(very important) and yes, rode the same loop or route (44 miles) a couple of times each. And i set the cockpit to be the same, even as to how far back seat is back relative to the BB on both bikes. Even rode with the same tire pressure on both bike. Did you?

the question i have for you it that you had your excalibur for a time 500 miles then send back under warranty, then you got the damocles. So- you NEVER had BOTH at the SAME time as i DID when you made the comparison. How can you make an objective comparison when you have only one bike at a time, is your "objective judgement" base on only soley on memory?

How long of a time frame between the 2 bikes, think maybe the memory might have faded a little?
    Last edited by rrchea; 11-09-2007 at 07:06 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rrchea
    Yes to all of your questions. When i compare the two bikes i always use the same WHEELSET and handlebar and SEAT(very important) and yes, rode the same loop or route (44 miles) a couple of times each. And i set the cockpit to be the same, even as to how far back seat is back relative to the BB on both bikes. Even rode with the same tire pressure on both bike. Did you?

the question i have for you it that you had your excalibur for a time 500 miles then send back under warranty, then you got the damocles. So- you NEVER had BOTH at the SAME time as i DID when you made the comparison. How can you make an objective comparison when you have only one bike at a time, is your "objective judgement" base on only soley on memory?

How long of a time frame between the 2 bikes, think maybe the memory might have faded a little?
    No, I had the Excalibur for 2500 miles...I've had the Helium for 500 thus far...

Tire pressures are always set at 120f/125r...tires are always Vitt OC CX...

Time frame between the two was 9 days...it was a warranty, remember...! The difference was apparent 10 minutes into my first ride on the Damocles.

You cannot tell me that 80-100 miles on each bike is comparable to my thousands of miles on each bike. When you ride big miles, you can readily discern one bike from the other.

Regardless, my experience is that the Damocles doesn't ride as well as the Excalibur and definitely doesn't ride as well as the Helium...YMMV

Sep 2002
    No, I had the Excalibur for 2500 miles...I've had the Helium for 500 thus far...

Tire pressures are always set at 120f/125r...tires are always Vitt OC CX...

Time frame between the two was 9 days...it was a warranty, remember...! The difference was apparent 10 minutes into my first ride on the Damocles.

You cannot tell me that 80-100 miles on each bike is comparable to my thousands of miles on each bike. When you ride big miles, you can readily discern one bike from the other.

Regardless, my experience is that the Damocles doesn't ride as well as the Excalibur and definitely doesn't ride as well as the Helium...YMMV
    So what you are saying that i cannot tell how a bike feel only riding them 80- 100 miles, but you can assess how the Damolces feels in 10 minutes. Sounds like a contradition here. I think i'll take my 80-100 miles on the bike to give me a better assestment than your 10 minutes. And Competitive Cyclist is wrong about what they wrote about the Damocles!!! i think they i am going to take their word since they have been on more bikes than you on me put together.
    Last edited by rrchea; 11-09-2007 at 01:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rrchea
    So what you are saying that i cannot tell how a bike feel only riding them 80- 100 miles, but you can assess how the Damolces feels in 10 minutes. Sounds like a contradition here. I think i'll take my 80-100 miles on the bike to give me a better assestment than your 10 minutes. And Competitive Cyclist is wrong about what they wrote about the Damocles!!! i think they i am going to take their word since they have been on more bikes than you on me put together.

You < reading comprehension

If you READ the post, you will see that I said I could tell the difference in the first ten minutes BECAUSE I'd ridden a few thousand miles on the Excalibur. At that point, I was training heavily and building to a peak (riding @ 18-20 hours per week), so when I got on the Damocles for the first time, it did, in fact, feel like a very different ride.

Again, after in excess of 12k miles on the Damocles, I could tell a huge difference as soon as I got on the Helium.

Riding bikes back to back is fine, but doing the same loop, in the same fashion and switching bikes immediately, sometimes muddies the water.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Do Ridleys have

replaceable derailleur hanger?
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderguy
    replaceable derailleur hanger?
    Yes...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Argentius, I don't know anything re: Ridleys except as discribed at Competitive Cyclist. That may be helpful as they explain the "conceptual" differences.

kytyree
    my ridley came with the spare hanger and the replacement bolts to put it on.

Sep 2002
    You < reading comprehension

If you READ the post, you will see that I said I could tell the difference in the first ten minutes BECAUSE I'd ridden a few thousand miles on the Excalibur. At that point, I was training heavily and building to a peak (riding @ 18-20 hours per week), so when I got on the Damocles for the first time, it did, in fact, feel like a very different ride.

Again, after in excess of 12k miles on the Damocles, I could tell a huge difference as soon as I got on the Helium.

Riding bikes back to back is fine, but doing the same loop, in the same fashion and switching bikes immediately, sometimes muddies the water.

its your knowledge< on these bikes thats in questions !!!!

iam THINIKING the "few thousand miles on the Excalibur" was maybe on a already cracked chainstay. that's why it feels so comfortable. but hey that cant be possible, right?

your Knowledge on these bikes > Competetive Cyclist. its is very CLEAR to me now that you know more than they.
    Last edited by rrchea; 11-26-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Hup, Hup

My First Ridley...

...arrived today. It is a X-Fire CX bike and I have to admit that I am just a bit excited about getting the build started. Of course there really isn't HUGE hurry since cross season is almost 9 months away. Getting an early start on next season I guess.

'08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '08 Cannondale X6
    '06 Cannondale Cyclocross
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

Aug 2006
    My 48cm Supercross

Hup, Hup
    Nice looking Supercross Lord Taipan. That was the Ridley CX frame that actually caught my eye originally and started looking at them.
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '08 Cannondale X6
    '06 Cannondale Cyclocross
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

RoadBikeReview Member

2008 Damocles

Here is my damo, team paint.

Freakish how well my Gerolsteiner helmet matches.

680.JPG

I will post complete pick when I return from out of town.

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by libertycycles

680.JPG

sweet, going to be a sweet ride.
    "Better to pin a number on and finish last, than never to pin a number on at all. Racing's cool."

"Coolhand"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Hey..."Tom-ahhh-toe" / "Tom-aaa-toe"...

I have a Noah and a Damocles. Built alike. Use em both at various times with the wheels being interchanged..The Noah is an '08, the Damo an '07. My gal has an Excaliber in my size. My take?

The Excaliber is nice, a great value and feels like most other oversize-tubed bikes seem to. I also have a Scott CR-1 with the huge tubes and the Excaliber is more fun to ride, more comfortable and more stable than the Scott. Don't have many hours on the Excaliber.

The Damocles is 'racier' feeling than the Ex. but not all that much. It feels heavier to lift, but not to ride and it is my ride of choice for training because it is a bit more forgiving with it's Ritchey carbon set-back seat post and less 'buzzy" shaped frame..

The Noah is lighter than the Damo. It's certainly stiff enough to sprint effectivly and it climbs marvelously...The 'O8 saddle mounting on the Noah has no real provision for fore and aft variation other than the rails of the seat (and I think you can reverse the "head" for a time trial position) so I find myself with my saddle all the way aft to get the position I need. I have no qualms about standing and sprinting in the drops at 40+mph (on downhills)..not something I've been comfortable doing on another frame...Stiff! Yet I feel better after a day on the Noah than I did coming off that Scott CR-1..

So that's my take on the three, with the caveat that I have to borrow my gal's Excaliber and therefore have not much saddle time on that one..
    Don Hanson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by libertycycles

680.JPG

HOTNESS! I need 5 minutes alone...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    GNARLY 928 - Which do you think is more comfortable on longer rides? Noah or Damocles? Geometries are the same so does the ISP make things "less" comfortable on 4+ hour rides? Thanks.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast