Ridley Roll Call - Page 3
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Does anyone have pics of an '08 Damocles with the blue/black/white paint scheme? The only pics of newer Damocles are all red. I'm trying to decide between a 585 and the Ridley. They seem to get similar feedback on ride characteristics, so I'm trying to decide which one I think is sexier..... thanks in advance for the help
    Greg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I own a 585 and Excalibur, have spent many miles on the Damo but dont own one.

The Damo is every bit as good as the 585 and you'll see less of them on the road and also has a more relaxed geometry which I prefer, monster head tubes on Ridley

Ridley is difficult to beat, bang for buck.

RoadBikeReview Member

2008 Damocles

2008 Ridley Damocles “Large”
    LiquidCycling.com paintjob
    15.87 lbs.
    SRAM Red group (compact, 11-23)
    Selle Italia Thoork Team Edition
    FSA SL-K post
    FSA Energy Alu bars 44cm
    FSA OS115 White 120mm stem
    American Classic 420 silver w/ceramic bearings (non-bladed spokes)
    Schwable Stelvio EVO (front/rear specific)
    Speedplay Zero Stainless White
    SRAM Super Cork tape

1024_1_sm.JPG

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by libertycycles
    15.87 lbs.
    FSA SL-K post
    FSA Energy Alu bars 44cm
    SRAM Super Cork tape

1024_1_sm.JPG
    very, very nice - well done. I want a new bike
    "Better to pin a number on and finish last, than never to pin a number on at all. Racing's cool."

"Coolhand"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks Millerinva. I could care less about the weight since I'm 6'2 and ~180lbs but I was pleased to see that even though the bike looks big it's still under 16lbs. Certianly the lightest bike I've owned.

are
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    How does the Excalibur compare to the 585? Pretty different price levels, but curious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Blue Damocles

Here is the 701B color from Ridley site.

Damocles701B.jpg
    A writer cannot serve today those who make history, he must serve those who are subject to it - history's victims ..... Albert Camus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks - I actually just ordered one (in blue/white) from Competitive Cyclist (cool guys btw). I'm looking forward to testing it on some country roads to see if it rides as nice as their write up says.
    Greg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I am waiting for my red one which should be with me in a couple of weeks - what r u going to kit out with?
    A writer cannot serve today those who make history, he must serve those who are subject to it - history's victims ..... Albert Camus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I am going to be transferring my full Campy Record groupset over from my Scott CR1. The wheels are Fulcrum Racing 1. Very interested to see if the ride is better than my CR1 and if I gain much weight. The CR1 is rated at 990 grams, but I think that's for their 56cm bike and mine is a 58cm. I'm going to a "Med" Damocles which is somewhere around 1200 grams. I think it will mostly be a wash when it's done. Honestly though I care much less about the weight than I do about the ride quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I think you will see a huge gain in ride quality as scotts seem to compromise the ride quality for weight. Like you I will be tranferring my Record gruppo & fulcrum 3's from my Look to the new DAM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    libertycycles, your bike is Beautiful!
    I"ve come back to this post a number of times just to look at it. It's probably the nicest looking bike I've seen posted.
    Enjoy it

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Sizing clarifications, anyone? I have read elsewhere (as well as within this thread) that the sizing on the Ridleys run larger than other bikes. The bike I ride currently (2005 Scattante CFR Carbon, in dire need of replacement) is a 58cm. The roadbike I had before (a 1993 Trek 2100 carbon w/aluminum lugs) was a 57cm and seemed to fit just fine as well… if anything, it seemed a bit more maneuverable through tight corners. I am 6'0" (technically 6' and a few butthairs) and have a 33 1/2 " inseam. Now, would I really want a Ridley large, or a Ridley medium? I am looking at getting the CompetitiveCyclist.com Excalibur SRAM build deal of deals, but I’ve noticed they only seem to have the small and medium sizes—I could have sworn they had them in large a week ago.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Its best to go with TT virtual length - M is 56.5 and L is 58.5 so measure up your current ride's TT length (horizontal) and see which one is closer - perhaps a good idea to keep an eye on HT length and stem length too..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Yo! Pork stacker...

I have an 'O8 Noah and an '07 Damocles, my gal has an Excaliber. You will likely want the Med. frame size. I am about 6'1" and in the Ridleys, I use a med. I put the tape on my Damo, which shows about 20cm of seat post (top of the clamp to the bottom of the saddle rails) and I have 2.5cm of spacers under the Ritchey stem. I rode an XL Look 585 and I came off a 58 cm Scott CR-1. So yeah, the Ridleys are sized oddly.

I have a long torso, so on both my frames I run the saddle pretty far back and I'm riding 110mm stems. I, too was torn as to which size Ridley would work best for me, but after some time on my Gal's Med. Excaliber, I went with the medium and I am glad of it.

Now, comparing Ridleys to the Scotts and to the Look 585? The Damocles weighs a little more than either of those. I found the CR-1 and 585 to be similar weights. I've used my same components, mostly Dura Ace, for all four builds..

The Damo handles a lot like the Look..very predictable and quite pleasant to be on. The Excaliber is similar feeling to the Scott...but somewhat more 'settled'..That Scott, while a good Crit bike, felt 'cheap' and 'buzzy'. Not 'trustworthy' or 'attached to the pavement' like either the Ridleys or the Look.

The Noah is a full-out no compromise race ride. It is stiff. It is quicker handling than the Damo or the Look. It's also more "connected" than the Scott, which always felt sort of like it was skipping along rather noisily. The Noah is a super sprinter and it is really fun to hammer all out downhill in an 11-53.on that frame.. After an all day ride, you "noah" you been on da bike..(sorry for that pun). Still, I prefer the Noah's ride to the Scott.

The Damocles is an excellent all around ride. I use that one in Crits and also for longer more mellow training ride days. Damo does everything well and outclimbs both the Look 585 and (probably) the CR-1. I think the Noah climbs same-o as the Damo. The Ridleys feel excellent out of the saddle climbing..more solid at the front than any bike I've ridden.
    If I recall correctly, my Noah weighs slightly more than the CR-1. The Damocles feels a bit heavier to lift, but not to ride. The finish on the Damo and the Noah are outstanding, the Excaliber..nothing super, but still very nice. My only 'nit-pick' is the rather inane marketing slogans on the Noah and the Damo..Noah says "Integral Regeneration" twice, right on top of the flattish top tube just behind the stem...I find myself ruminating often as I ride and lookright down at that in front of my nose. "what the f--- is "Integral Regeneration""? (and why should I care-?) The Damo has "Sharp Edge Design" written rather large down the seat stays, which are triangular shaped in section...but anyone can see that..they didn't have to write it out on there..

I think the Ridleys are great.

Don Hanson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well..... I may not currently be on the roll call, but give me a month, just ordered a new Ridley Excalibur from CC yesterday. Black and Silver. I was planning on waiting until later in the Spring but, I just could not pass up the price on the 07 closeouts. Looking forward to it.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Thanks for the further clarification on the frame sizing. Belgians must be giants. Going to order the medium Excalibur in that case.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Alright! I placed my order this morning for the SRAM build CompetitiveCycles on the Ridley Excalibur. Of course I won’t have as nice a paint job as libertycycles’ Ridley, but I am really looking forward to receipt of the bike. The estimated date of shipment is at the end of this month (April).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Here's my Excalibur

I thought I would post a couple pictures of my Excalibur. It is a medium, 2007 model. I just got it built up about a month ago.

2007 Excalibur frameset (medium)
    Chorus Shifters/ read derailleur and chain
    Centuar front derailleur, carbon ct cranks and brakes and 11-25 cassette
    Campy Zonda wheels, Conti tubes and Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires
    FSA Carbon wing bars (44)
    FSA K Force light seat post
    Oval Concepts R900 stem w/carbon faceplate/ti bolt upgrade
    Prologo Choice saddle, currently with the slightly thicker cover
    Look Keo Carbon pedals
    Elite carbon cages

17 pounds, 1 ounce with cages, pedals, computer, seat bag.
    I only have about 200 miles or so on it, but I am totally satisfied so far.
    I had 2008 Centaur shifters on it when I originally built it. I didn't mind the escape shifting that a lot of people say, but I really didn't like the QS, so I bought a new set of 2006 (pre QS) Chorus shifters and I am glad I did!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snopro440; 04-20-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Quote Originally Posted by libertycycles
    15.87 lbs.
    FSA SL-K post
    FSA Energy Alu bars 44cm
    SRAM Super Cork tape

1024_1_sm.JPG
    Even though the midwest-looking neighbourhood backdrop sets the mood of the photograph in a dreary, cold, and otherwise unneighbourly tone, the multicolour blue paint scheme is very tastefully done!!! Very beautiful!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Snopro -

Out of interest why did you use FSA seatpost as opposed to Oval? I noticed that some riders on the lotto team had also put FSA on their X-fire roubaix while using Oval for rest of kit (their sponsors)! I have put Oval 900s finishing kit on my Excalibur (SP, Stem & Bar) and no problems yet given I am 200 + but still early miles to pass judgement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    To be honest, it's what my wife bought for me for a present, so I am using it!!! It's a nice seat post, and it makes me really happy she ventured to a bike shop to order it for me.. She didn't know they come in different sizes, so when he asked what size, she was puzzled.. He knew what I had ordered, so they got it right. I chose the rest of the parts, and I would do it all over the same way again!! I am REALLLLLLY happy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440
    To be honest, it's what my wife bought for me for a present, so I am using it!!! It's a nice seat post, and it makes me really happy she ventured to a bike shop to order it for me.. She didn't know they come in different sizes, so when he asked what size, she was puzzled.. He knew what I had ordered, so they got it right. I chose the rest of the parts, and I would do it all over the same way again!! I am REALLLLLLY happy!
    Plus, the FSA carbon matches the weave on the Excalibur frame...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I think the reason lotto team were using it might have been due to heigh as Oval is only 280 mm - on mine I am pretty much on minimum insert point and its only a large and 13 cm drop to handlebars - FSA's go up to 400mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

My Damocles and the Noah in TT costume

Let's see if I can get the photos up. Looks like they'll go so here is some text:

The Damo is an '07 with mostly Dura Ace, FSA cranks and Zipp bars. I run this as my crit bike or if a stage race has a TT, I use it on the RR also. That let's me bring the Noah all set up for TTs and not have to mess with changing it back and forth, which is not TOO much work. I'd rather do all the messing around before I am at the race, though, so I know everything is working properly.

Changing the Noah from RR to TT and back , I use a second set of bars levers cables and stem so I can remove the TT front end as a unit and put it aside, complete and ready to use next time. Then the other stem/bar/cable set-up slips on and you turn the saddle mount..the seat mast head, around and it's the "other bike" See the pic of the seat mounted in TT position.

The Noah makes a fine TT bike. Very stiff and able when going uphill and quite stable at speed. This past weekend I hit 50mph in my 53/11 gear while descending a steep TT course through some downhill switchbacks..Not 50 round the corners, but between them. I prefer the Noah for out of the saddle finishes also..it may have a slight edge on the Damo in the sprints..but the Damo is a little more comfortable, perhaps.
    Don Hanson
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast