Jul 2007

Ridley Roll Call

Here's mine

Jul 2007
    Let me try that again
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I've went through more bikes then anyone i know the past 2yrs but my Ridley Excalibur stays here and is my daily driver. Best bike on the market IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    I really like that ride - very, very nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I love the Cane Creek mascot lizard looking thing on the wheels. Beautiful bike.

Moderatus Puisne

Damo vs Excalibur vs Orion vs Helium vs Noah

Okay, so, there is a pretty decent chance I'll be getting a Ridley next year. Their website doesn't help me all that much.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the differences, integrated seatposts aside, are, between their FIVE carbon offerings?

Jul 2007
    Orion has a box section downtube, similar to the Ceverlo R3
    Excalibur, Damocles, Helium, and Noah all have the the headtube w/ the large 1 1/2in. lower bearing.
    The Excalibur has round or ovalized oversized tubing for the top and downtube. I think the seat and chainstays are very good looking.
    The 2008 Helium's seat stays look suspiciously like the R3's.
    The noah and damocles have those nicely shaped tubes w/ triangular or diamond shaped cross-sections (downtube and top tube). I guess that's what contributes to the reportedly smoother ride vs. my Excalibur.
    lots of differences in the carbon mix, and probably lay-up.

I've only ridden an Excalibur, but I love it. I really like the looks of the 2008 Helium, but besides being broke, I'm not ready for an integrated seatmast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by millerinva
    Orion has a box section downtube, similar to the Ceverlo R3
    Excalibur, Damocles, Helium, and Noah all have the the headtube w/ the large 1 1/2in. lower bearing.
    The Excalibur has round or ovalized oversized tubing for the top and downtube. I think the seat and chainstays are very good looking.
    The 2008 Helium's seat stays look suspiciously like the R3's.
    The noah and damocles have those nicely shaped tubes w/ triangular or diamond shaped cross-sections (downtube and top tube). I guess that's what contributes to the reportedly smoother ride vs. my Excalibur.
    lots of differences in the carbon mix, and probably lay-up.

I've only ridden an Excalibur, but I love it. I really like the looks of the 2008 Helium, but besides being broke, I'm not ready for an integrated seatmast.
    Noah- Top of the line, super stiff...basically an overbuilt Damocles with the mast
    Helium- Excalibur with an integrated seatmast and different graphics
    Damocles- Stiff, yet compliant with the funky, multishaped tubes
    Excalibur- Stiff, compliant, very smooth, bowed seatstays (Ridley did it first, everyone else is copying), light

I've had the Ex and now the Damo. I broke the Ex (bad batch of frames) and went to the Damo. The rides are night and day different. The Ex is much smoother overall and a bit stiffer in the front end. The Damo is stiffer in the rear. The Damo feels more like a race bike to me. The harder it's pushed, the better it responds. I didn't feel the same way about the Excalibur.

Right now, I'm waiting on word from Sinclair about warranty replacement of my Damocles. It has some cracking around the BB/chainstay junction. If they warranty it (they will), I'm think going to the Helium...

And thanks for the compliments everyone. I can tell you, even with the issue I'm having now, Ridley makes the best bikes I've ever ridden. I've owned some iron over the years too! If you get one, everything else will ride like a dumptruck!

Jul 2007
    Noah- Top of the line, super stiff...basically an overbuilt Damocles with the mast
    Helium- Excalibur with an integrated seatmast and different graphics
    Damocles- Stiff, yet compliant with the funky, multishaped tubes
    Excalibur- Stiff, compliant, very smooth, bowed seatstays (Ridley did it first, everyone else is copying), light

I've had the Ex and now the Damo. I broke the Ex (bad batch of frames) and went to the Damo. The rides are night and day different. The Ex is much smoother overall and a bit stiffer in the front end. The Damo is stiffer in the rear. The Damo feels more like a race bike to me. The harder it's pushed, the better it responds. I didn't feel the same way about the Excalibur.

Right now, I'm waiting on word from Sinclair about warranty replacement of my Damocles. It has some cracking around the BB/chainstay junction. If they warranty it (they will), I'm think going to the Helium...

And thanks for the compliments everyone. I can tell you, even with the issue I'm having now, Ridley makes the best bikes I've ever ridden. I've owned some iron over the years too! If you get one, everything else will ride like a dumptruck!
    look at the new 2008 helium on their website. http://www.ridley-bikes.com/2008/lan...812A/index.htm
    they've dramatically changed the seatstays.

You either have poor luck, are an animal, or I'm a bit worried about Ridley QC. I'm stunned you've cracked two frames.

Dec 2006

hmm, which year model is your Damo? any idea how it cracked or any pics etc? i own a 05 Damo...

Bike riding and bike racing are two different things...one seeks enjoyment while the other seeks pain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pina-gal
    hmm, which year model is your Damo? any idea how it cracked or any pics etc? i own a 05 Damo...

Mine's an 05 in the standard (non-team) paint scheme...

I have no clue how the cracks formed. I noticed them when cleaning it one day and marked them with a Sharpie. I checked again about 4 days ago and the crack on the non-drive chainstay had migrated about 7-8mm.

The bike definitely feels a bit softer than it did when it was new...

Dec 2006
    thanks for the pics, will keep a heads-up on mine
    Bike riding and bike racing are two different things...one seeks enjoyment while the other seeks pain.

Sep 2002
    I have ridden both 06' Damocles & Excalibur. I disagree with BACKINTHESADDLE that the Excalibur is smoother,it quite a bit stiffer overall. I read your post earlier and was sway to the Excalibur, then i read the review from Competitive Cyclist: they are saying in the Damocles is a smoother ride of the two, then i rode both bikes three to four weeks each. And they are right. the Excalibur is not as smooth (comfortably) as the Damocles. The Damocles is a joy to ride anywhere. i do agree the the bike feels better the harder you push it.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rrchea
    I have ridden both 06' Damocles & Excalibur. I disagree with BACKINTHESADDLE that the Excalibur is smoother,it quite a bit stiffer overall. I read your post earlier and was sway to the Excalibur, then i read the review from Competitive Cyclist: they are saying in the Damocles is a smoother ride of the two, then i rode both bikes three to four weeks each. And they are right. the Excalibur is not as smooth (comfortably) as the Damocles. The Damocles is a joy to ride anywhere. i do agree the the bike feels better the harder you push it.
    i have read many posts from many forums...some say the damocles is more comfortable while some say the excalibur is more comfortable....all i can say is Ridley make good race bikes!!

CC stated that riders doing less then 2 hour rides should look at the Excalibur for its responsiveness(or was it stiffness) while the Damocles is and i quote "the smoothest carbon bike we've ever ridden" ....

RoadBikeReview Member

Here's mine

2006 Boreas
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's my Excalibur.

Dec 2006
    are those racing 3s? any thoughts on them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, Threes' is what they are. I like 'em a bunch, I weigh in around 185 give or take a coupla pounds depending on how I'm eatin' and after 2500 miles they're just like the day I got 'em. I can't compare 'em to any other low spoke wheels though because all else I've ever ridden have been 36s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

damocles??

I'm looking to replace my Kuota kredo which cracked after a few months and Kuota is not replacing (long story, but I'm not impressed with the company at all- or their bike for that matter). Our team is looking into getting a Ridley team purchase together, so I am looking at the damocles (I'm not ready for an integrated seatpost yet). But I seem to be getting all sorts of mixed messages on the ride quality of the damocles. Some people are saying it is too harsh, and others are saying it is super smooth. Can anyone comment on it in terms of comfort, and if you have comparisons to other frames that would help. If I get the Ridley, I am probably going to have to get it without riding it, which makes me nervous.

Also, does anyone know the seatpost diameter?

kytyree
    Damocles: 31.6 seatpost / 34.9 front mech clamp / BSA bottom bracket / the headset (included) is one of the ones with 1.25" on the bottom and 1 1/8" on top.

And I while I think the ride of a frame is very personal, I enjoy the way the bike rides and have put about 6k miles on mine so far, it still looks brand new.

Dec 2006
    My first pinarello was abit too comfy for me, i tried a BMC SLC and it was way too harsh, the specialized tarmac felt "dead" to me and after trying my friend's damocles, there wasn't any other brand then ridley to look at...

since your looking at a team purchase, try to get a test ride...five mins can tell you a lot about a bike.

Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by metricEee
    I'm looking to replace my Kuota kredo which cracked after a few months and Kuota is not replacing (long story, but I'm not impressed with the company at all- or their bike for that matter). Our team is looking into getting a Ridley team purchase together, so I am looking at the damocles (I'm not ready for an integrated seatpost yet). But I seem to be getting all sorts of mixed messages on the ride quality of the damocles. Some people are saying it is too harsh, and others are saying it is super smooth. Can anyone comment on it in terms of comfort, and if you have comparisons to other frames that would help. If I get the Ridley, I am probably going to have to get it without riding it, which makes me nervous.

Also, does anyone know the seatpost diameter?
    I am not sure why are all the mix reviews. Its the best riding bike,well balance between stiffness(quick) and comfort. I have had 02 Vortex, 02 Pinarello Prince, 05 Orbea Orca, 06 Orbea Opal. I believe this the bike i have been suching for for 5 yrs. I now own a 07 Kuota Kebel & 06 RIDLEY Excalibur and will be purchasing a DAMOCLES beginning next season. After a couple of pedal strokes on the Damocles and my 1st thought was WOW this is smooth bike. But the smoothness does not cut into the responsivness of the bike. its still very quick and it just a pleasure to ride. My Excalibur is not as comfortable in comparison. BTW i ride a XS.

Dec 2006
    I am not sure why are all the mix reviews. Its the best riding bike,well balance between stiffness(quick) and comfort. I have had 02 Vortex, 02 Pinarello Prince, 05 Orbea Orca, 06 Orbea Opal. I believe this the bike i have been suching for for 5 yrs. I now own a 07 Kuota Kebel & 06 RIDLEY Excalibur and will be purchasing a DAMOCLES beginning next season. After a couple of pedal strokes on the Damocles and my 1st thought was WOW this is smooth bike. But the smoothness does not cut into the responsivness of the bike. its still very quick and it just a pleasure to ride. My Excalibur is not as comfortable in comparison. BTW i ride a XS.
    i am riding a XC damocles as well..gotta agree with your review, one of the nicest bikes around to ride...my next bike will either be a 08 damocles again or i might try the noah..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Okay, I've read this post about 15 times and have to wonder a few things...

Did both bikes have the same cockpit? Bars, stem, seat and post?
    Did you ride the bikes with the same wheels on both?
    Did you put each bike through it's paces or did you just ride your normal loop?

I had an Excalibur that rode very well, the bike felt stiffer than the Damocles, but it was a much smoother/muted ride feeling.
    As a caveat, I only had the Excalibur for about 12 weeks before it broke. In that time though, it was ridden 2500+ miles.
    When I got the Damocles, the ride difference was immediately noticeable. It just wasn't as smooth. The front end wasn't as stiff and the bike felt buzzier than the Excalibur. I think part of it was the straight fork. I rode this bike for 2 years and well over 12,000 miles before it broke.
    Now, I'm on an '07 Helium and after @ 500 miles on it, I can say, it's easily the best riding bike I've ever had. It's stiffer AND smoother than the Damocles. It responds better to inputs and is WAAAY lighter.
    The kicker is the fact that, when boiled down, the Helium is an overbuilt Excalibur and it rides that way.
    If the bikes aren't outfitted with the same kit, you can't make an objective judgment, period.

All three bikes were/are D/A 10v with Deda Newton deep bars, Thomson X4 stem and Thomson posts (except the Helium, obvi...). I only ride Flite Ti gel saddles.

If you want a bike that's smooth and does everything well, get a Helium. If you can swing that chunk of change, get the Excalibur. Regardless of what Competitive Cyclist says, the Damocles just isn't the better ride.

Page 1 of 17 123 ... LastLast