Ridley sizing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ridley sizing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Well.......

I found out that the Orca in my size and color is a no-go, out of stock with little or no chance of Orbea getting me one. So I went and ordered up a Excalibur. Campy Centaur and Chorus (Centaur carbon compact UT cranks), Campy Zonda wheels, FSA carbon wing bars. I got to upgrade some components because the Ridley frame was quite a bit cheaper since I bought a new 2007. It is black and silver, and I am excited to see it!! I ended up ordering a medium after reading your thoughts and talking to Jim at Sinclair Imports. I will post some pictures when I get it built up. Thanks again for your help guys, this site is awesome. Hopefully I will get it built up the end of next week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Congrats on the new ride ... Make sure you update us after you have it out on a few rides!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352

If moving up/ down a size and adjusting bars/ stems/ saddles works, then that's great. But focusing only on the apparent problem (too short of a reach, too low, etc.) may lead to the incorrect position on the bike - specifically the rider may no longer be centered, relatively speaking. And no matter what size frame you end up with, too far back OR too far forward adversely affects handling. I, for one, would not ignore KOPS, at least as a starting point.

I'm not against making adjustments for fit, but in a sense I guess I'm more a purist, in that I believe a bike (size/ geometry) either fits or it doesn't. You can't make it work.
    I agree 100% on the KOPS starting point. I set my saddle position first using a point slightly behind KOPS (this is what works best for me). From there, I determine if the reach and drop will work for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lamazion
    I mentioned the seat angle because it is important to consider in fit. While you feel strongly about going as small as possible, for some people, that is not always possible to get a good fit. With the Ridley Large, I currently run with 3-4cm of spacers and the stem flipped up to get the saddle drop that works for me. After riding the larger and smaller size, I went with the one that fit me. I have no issues with the handling of my bike.
    Man, if you are riding a large, with it's long headtube, 3-4cm of spacers, AND a flipped up stem, you must not have any saddle to bar drop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    6.5 - 7cm of drop ... in my racing days it was a lot more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440
    I found out that the Orca in my size and color is a no-go, out of stock with little or no chance of Orbea getting me one. So I went and ordered up a Excalibur. Campy Centaur and Chorus (Centaur carbon compact UT cranks), Campy Zonda wheels, FSA carbon wing bars. I got to upgrade some components because the Ridley frame was quite a bit cheaper since I bought a new 2007. It is black and silver, and I am excited to see it!! I ended up ordering a medium after reading your thoughts and talking to Jim at Sinclair Imports. I will post some pictures when I get it built up. Thanks again for your help guys, this site is awesome. Hopefully I will get it built up the end of next week.
    congrats dude! got myself an excalbur a few months ago too and been loving it. over at another forum there's been lotsa praises too for the excal. post pics when you get yours!

enjoy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

It's Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well fellas, my Excalibur arrived!!! I went with the medium and I am glad I did. Thanks a lot guys, I am pleased with it. It isn't quite complete yet, I need a stem, saddle, bar tape and tires. I am picking up a Prologo Choice saddle (white), white bar tape, Vittoria Open Corsa Cx tires, and an Oval Concepts R900 Carbon stem with the carbon face plate. It should be done the middle or the end of next week. I will post pictures when it gets done. I was kind of surprised, I did a fitting, and I need a 110 mm stem. I thought I would need a 120, but it was just too long. My Orbea had a 100 (57) and my Bianchi had a 120 (58). Thanks again guys, your help was very important, and your advice was spot on!!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Congrats!! Glad it worked out for you and yes, definitely get some pics for us to drool over. Some riding impressions would be nice too, assuming you're not knee deep in snow!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    It will be a while for a ride.. Its 9 degrees, and I was thinking that it was warm out today... I will certainly get photos once I get it all together!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Here It Is!!

I got all the parts and it is built up. Thanks again for your help guys!! I have to adjust the seat height down a bit, but we are going to finish the fitting tomorrow. I am very pleased with how it turned out. 17.1 lbs with pedals and cages on their fish scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cycling induced anoesis
    Wow.. very nice!! I gotta say, I'm impressed.
    Glad it all worked out for you - now, enjoy the ride!! (and post a review once you get a few miles in).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12