Wilier Gran Turismo - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

2011 Gran Tourismo

Hey Aikeo,

As far as I know, there is no difference between the 2011 and the 2012. The bike has not changed and the manufacturing has not changed.

I had one of these bikes and I loved it. Unfortunately for me, I broke the frame at the rear drop outs (I was commuting 34 miles one way on it!!). I wanted to have the frame replaced but they were sold out when this all happened and I ended up with the Imperiale.

My frame also had the carbon wraps that looked out of place. I think that this is just the nature of working with carbon. So I don't think that you got a refurb.

Anyway, good riding. The GT is the cadillac of bikes. I commuted on it, I raced it, it was great. I was so confident on that bike that I could actually take my hands off the bars at 50 + mph and it was still stable.

If I could go back and do it again, I would have waited for the GT replacement.

Good riding, Mike

G3
    Quote Originally Posted by feuereimer View Post
    Hey Aikeo,

As far as I know, there is no difference between the 2011 and the 2012. The bike has not changed and the manufacturing has not changed.

I had one of these bikes and I loved it. Unfortunately for me, I broke the frame at the rear drop outs (I was commuting 34 miles one way on it!!). I wanted to have the frame replaced but they were sold out when this all happened and I ended up with the Imperiale.

My frame also had the carbon wraps that looked out of place. I think that this is just the nature of working with carbon. So I don't think that you got a refurb.

Anyway, good riding. The GT is the cadillac of bikes. I commuted on it, I raced it, it was great. I was so confident on that bike that I could actually take my hands off the bars at 50 + mph and it was still stable.

If I could go back and do it again, I would have waited for the GT replacement.

Good riding, Mike
    Thanks for the comments, Mike! I agree with the GT being great for many purposes! It has nearly identical geometry to the Cento 1 and is quite stiff making it a great racing platform. But I find that the specific choice and mix of carbon makes it compliant in the right places. I just do not feel fatigued on this bike at all regardless of distance so far. Note I have not done a century on mine... yet. It is not plush by any measure, but somehow riding the nasty winter-salted chip & seal around me just hasn't had a fatiguing effect like on other bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Another very happy Wilier GT owner here. I bought mine a few months ago as an upgrade to a 2009 Giant TCR and well there really is no comparison. The GT is a lovely bike to ride and I just enjoy the time I spend on it. I recently upgraded the fulcrum 5 wheelset to Campy Shamals and wow - what an improvement. I've certainly found this to be a great all round bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Hello,

I own a Wilier GranTurismo 2012 (bought it on approx. 14 days ago).
    I want to ask you about one issue: I found a cluster of tiny bubbles under the lacquer, in length of approx. 1 cm. It's under the top tube and you can feel it with your fingers. Is this something to be worried about? Why does this happen and will it progress or spread? I sent a picture to Wilier and they just replied that I should talk to my dealer... I'll definitely do that, but I wanted to get an expert opinion from them...

PS: Because I'm new I can't post pictures yes...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Doesn't sound like something that happened after manufacturing. Sounds like a possible manufacturing defect that no one noticed because it wasn't at an easily visible location. You just bought a new bike. Take it back to your dealer and ask them to take care of the situation. You did buy a great bike though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jpaschal01 View Post
    Doesn't sound like something that happened after manufacturing. Sounds like a possible manufacturing defect that no one noticed because it wasn't at an easily visible location. You just bought a new bike. Take it back to your dealer and ask them to take care of the situation. You did buy a great bike though.
    Yes, all in all I'm very satisfied with the bike! And it wouldn't bother me if I knew that it won't spread... What bothers me more, that I got dismissed so quickly by customer service at Wilier - they just said that I should ask my dealer about this... Well, we'll see what they will say...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Update: I'm getting a new frame! Thumbs up for Wilier! Now I'm thinking of getting a matte frame - I think that those kind of problems do not happen on matte frames, or do they? What do you think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I've got a stock Gran Turismo (Ultegra with FSA SL-K crank). Will be in the market for a new chain soon. Should I just go with a new Ultegra chain or is there something else I should be considering?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234