Wilier Gran Turismo
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Wilier Gran Turismo

I saw this on weightweenies. Anyone know anything about it. After the hideous ugliness of the Imperiale, this looks like a pretty cool bike.

-Smarty
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess mine looks better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    hideous? really? like the Hunchback of Notre Dame? Maybe Nosferatu?

try not being able to afford such a bike for a few years and perhaps perspective will adjust your expectations. I happen to like all of Wilier's current line up and appreciate them for their intended purposes.

yes this new ride looks very nice. I'd love to see some specs on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    so does your price probably hehe.

on a serious note, great looking ride there mate.

merckxman
    Jan 2002

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thinking of picking up a black Gran Turismo frameset. Does anyone own one? Please give a quick review. I sold my Izoard recently and I am looking to replace it with another bike of about the same price and 1100 gram weight. I've had my eye on the Gran Turismo, a Specialized Tarmac and even thought about getting one of those eBay carbon framesets. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Hi,

About 2 years ago I bought a Wilier Mortirolo and i was delighted with it. After about 18 months it developed a whitening on the lacquer to the seat tube. On an all-black bike this looked really unsightly. I took it back to the shop and they immediately offered to replace my frame, free of charge. I thought this was great customer service. The only problem was that they had mo Mortirolos left and so would have to 'upgrade me' to an Izoard...again for no additional charge, I was delighted with the bike, albeit a little less comfortable than the Mortirolo. It was very precise and direct. After about 8 moths of very limited use, this bike again started to develop a lacquer problem. A series of tiny little aero bubbles were visible under the lacquer, all over the carbon portions of the bike. I knew this was only going to get worse, so i took it back to the shop. Again they offered to replace the frame without question. This time however i was given the option to spend an extra 300 and get the Gran Turismo. I jumped at the chance.

Firstly the bike looks amazing. I went for the all black version and it looks like no other bike on the market. More amazing however was the ride. It seems to combine the comfort of the Mortirolo and the sharpness of the Izoard. I'm really happy with it......as long as the lacquer stays intact.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bon_gabs
    I guess mine looks better.

looks awesome.....frame size????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kojakash
    Hi,

About 2 years ago I bought a Wilier Mortirolo and i was delighted with it. After about 18 months it developed a whitening on the lacquer to the seat tube. On an all-black bike this looked really unsightly. I took it back to the shop and they immediately offered to replace my frame, free of charge. I thought this was great customer service. The only problem was that they had mo Mortirolos left and so would have to 'upgrade me' to an Izoard...again for no additional charge, I was delighted with the bike, albeit a little less comfortable than the Mortirolo. It was very precise and direct. After about 8 moths of very limited use, this bike again started to develop a lacquer problem. A series of tiny little aero bubbles were visible under the lacquer, all over the carbon portions of the bike. I knew this was only going to get worse, so i took it back to the shop. Again they offered to replace the frame without question. This time however i was given the option to spend an extra 300 and get the Gran Turismo. I jumped at the chance.

Firstly the bike looks amazing. I went for the all black version and it looks like no other bike on the market. More amazing however was the ride. It seems to combine the comfort of the Mortirolo and the sharpness of the Izoard. I'm really happy with it......as long as the lacquer stays intact.

Pics...or it didn't happen!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Ok, don't take the mickey out of my 'cheap' rims and Veloce groupset.....but these were transferred from the Mortirolo. The frame is something else though........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Heres some more....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Wow, seems like a complex frame design...guess they put a lot of thought into what they want the bike to ride like. Beautiful!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Reviews?

Can anybody give me a review of the GT? competitive cyclist has the GT with Campy Chorus for $4K and I'm interested.

Thanks,
    AFF.

merckxman
    Jan 2002
    A friend of mine LOVES his. Road Bike Action magazine has a review in current issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I wouldn't bother with a Wilier. This is how my Izoard looked at 10 months old.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.p22 View Post
    I wouldn't bother with a Wilier. This is how my Izoard looked at 10 months old.
    Read above, another owner got a new replacement upgraded frame for free immediately!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I think that GT was his second replacement. The lbs offered me one of these but I wasn't prepared to go through it again. After the lbs revealed that the problem was with the Wiler painting process I settled for a refund on the frame less depreciation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    matt --- what year Izoard ? Wonder if it's an issue with previous years and current year to see if this is a common problem or has been corrected....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    My Imperiale is about 10 months old and looks as good as new. I chose a Wilier after hearing excellent reports about their customer service and warranty support. If your LBS wasn't willing to assist you in the process I wouldn't be shopping with them in the future. Having exchanged email with Wilier directly I am confident they would've taken care of you directly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    These Wiliers are just so nice to look at

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    It was either an 09 or 10 model but I only bought it myself late summer 2010. There are other cases on the net of older Izoards developing the same problem, and I would say they clearly haven't sorted the problem if mine was anything to go by...wish I'd done more research really, it would've saved alot of hassle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like overspray of some sort. The older blue 2008 izoards had a UV clearcoat issue where the white yellowed. I know wilier offerred replacement frames for them.

My 2010 white/silver/blk izoard looks as good as new after a year and a half. Currently my 2011 Cento SL still looks brand new. I had a 2010 cento sl that weighed in at 1100 grams for a 47cm! I returned it to the lbs and wilier sent me a sub 1000g 2011 frameset.

The gran turismo in black carbon looks sweet. However, im not a fan of working on bikes with internal cable routing but it looks clean.
    2016 S-Works Tarmac - build in progress
    2012 Specialized Tarmac SL3 - Race Black HTC2

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    The official line from the lbs was that the problem comes from the paint not being properly dried before the clearcoat is applied. I must admit to being drawn to Wilier because of the looks, heritage, individuality etc. However, having owned this particular one (can't really comment on others) I would urge anyone thinking of parting with any hard earned to look elsewhere.
    It wasn't a great experience with awful shifting from the big to small ring, strange wobbles from the front end at 60+kph and the paint falling off at 10mths old.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Anyone experiencing these problems with a newer 2010 or 2011 Wilier? I'm considering a Gran Turismo in the white/red (already have a black mtn bike) and hoping these issues don't persist. The other bike i'm looking is the Cervelo R3/RS.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    That in the picture is called clear coat pop, it happens by many reasons but in this case i suspect they used the wrong ratio of hardener in the clear, or pretty much they did not clean the frame before shooting the clear. If they have deadlines probably that was happened, the good news is that is easy to fix.

The frames are in good condition but they need to be sanded and recleared, wonder what willier did with all those clear coat problem frames, trash??? I was them I would just sell them for ridiculous price with no warranty or anything.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast