Wilier Izoard, What can you tell me... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Nice bulid!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000
    It arrived. It took a month and a half. Here's the final build with the SRAM Red group and Reynolds wheelset.

Nice rc! I have built mine but I have an issue with my head set so no pics yet hopefully soon
    “Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.” Pseudo25 · Mike Tyson quotes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    what's wrong with your headset?
    A writer cannot serve today those who make history, he must serve those who are subject to it - history's victims ..... Albert Camus

RoadBikeReview Member

09 Izroad

I'll be picking up mine this Friday! Can't wait. It's the Red/Black team colors with Ultegra.
    I'll be replacing the wheelset with my current Vuelta Coras super lite w/ conti 4000s, Fizik saddle and Speedplay Zero Ti pedals.

Stock this bike was so much faster than my Steely!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Just had a warrantee replacement in white & silver. All deched out with Sram Force, DT Mon Chasseral Wheelset, Gp4000s & Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem & white wcs stem. Looks the "dogs bolx"!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    On road the main difference between the two is comfort - in lugged construction it is possible to fine tune the frame so its stiff to pedal and comfortable to ride down side being that its a little heavier than monocoque which is why top of the range Colnago & Look are heavier than ultra light weight monocoque frames such as Ridley Helium or Scott - in monocoque its almost impossible to have both so frames usually lean one way or the other i.e. comfortable and not so stiff to pedal or harsh and stiff to pedal.

By changing the orientation of the fibers in the carbon fiber (along with tubing shape and size), you can do the same thing in a monocoque frame. One of the reasons CF is so popular is that you can get stiffness in the right places and compliance in the same bike (along with light weight). You simply change the way the CF is laid out in the molding process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ive had mine for 3 weeks, but Ive had lung and sinus issues, until last weekend.
    I bought an '09 model. The LBS offered me 1000 off. so I took it. It came with '09 ultegra, mavic wheels . The mavics felt sluggish, and I don't care for the Ultegra, shifts clunky. I replaced the wheelsets with a lighter set, and the FSA carbon crankset. It feels faster than my steel bike, but my campy shifts better. I hate the old school cables that stick out the side of the brake/shifter lever sets. and the cables clang on the frame. I'll be upgrading to a campy record 11 speed mech and levers. I get many compliments on the bike. It is beautiful!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Go for the Izoard!

+1 for a Wilier Forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I just purchased the izoard xp through Competitive Cyclist's featured bike program. My baby should be here Tuesday. Is there a big difference between the izoard and the izoard xp?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I beliece the XP is made with lower grade carbon - doubt you'll notice the difference - great bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

My 2011 Wilier Izoard XP

This is what Competitive Cyclist's Wilier Izoard XP built up with SRAM Rival and Mavic Elite wheels looks like. What I like about this build besides the fantastic climbing ability is its 2 lbs lighter (and still cheaper) than the standard Wilier Izoard build with Ultegra and Fulcrum 7 wheels:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got an Izoard frame this spring and have done about a thousand miles on it. I paid $1200 for it, and I would recommend it to others, at that price at least. I wouldn't pay the full $2,000 or so retail price for one. I think at that price you can get something better.

It is plenty stiff enough for me, and comfortable enough. On bumpy roads it is definitely not as comfortable as my 2004 C40. But it is a huge improvement over an Aluminum Cinelli Xperience that I had previously. I think the paint job looks great.

"Let’s plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident; may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will - it’s only action that can make a man."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masi85
    This is what Competitive Cyclist's Wilier Izoard XP built up with SRAM Rival and Mavic Elite wheels looks like. What I like about this build besides the fantastic climbing ability is its 2 lbs lighter (and still cheaper) than the standard Wilier Izoard build with Ultegra and Fulcrum 7 wheels:
    Looks great, doing much the same, just shimano and ksyrium sls. What weight is it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Around 16.9 lbs. After I ordered the bike CC dropped the price $200 and I found out about a 15% discount (I only got a 10%) discount. After talking to one of the CC salesman they don't really seem to care if you return a bike and reorder another one! Of course the return shipping charges could be over $100. Anyway apparently they got a great deal on a whole bunch of these frames so they can probably give you a great deal on any parts group build you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I believe the 2010 Izoard has a carbon steerer and the 2011 Izoard xp has an alloy steerer along with the change in the CF layup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I got my Izoard XP thru competitive cyclist about a week ago and its awesome. Haven't been on a road bike in over ten years and this thing amazes me every time hop on it. I just rode 22 miles today in the rain and loved every minute of it. Great bike to get me back into the sport. Very very happy!!!

glendog
    Apr 2011
    Does anybody know how many Wilier bikes are sold in the US in a year?
    I have been riding my Wilier Izoard for nearly a year now (2,000 plus miles so far) and could make a long list of likes. One of the things I particularly like is riding a brand that's not as common yet is known among people that really know their bikes. It would be great to have a figure to share, say, 500 bikes in the US per year - just cause I'm a fan of trivial statistics.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Here's a message I got from the guys at Wilier USA about differences between the 2010 Izoard and the 2011 Izoard XP.

OPEN QUOTE

Hello Yuri,
    Thank you very much for writing and for your interest in our bike. Sorry about the delay in answering but I have been traveling.
    This is a comparison between the 2010 Izoard and 2011 XP
    1) Frame is identical except for the UD paint on the XP
    2) The XP fork has an aluminum steer versus carbon in the '10 version.
    As far the built goes, in the XP we use FSA/Wilier cranks and brake calipers and Fulcrum R7 wheels versus full Ultegra and R7 wheels. We honestly believe that these little differences make the XP one the very best values presently on the market!
    Here is the carbon composition of the frame:
    T-700SC : 80%

M30J : 15%

M60JB : 5%
    Trusting the afore going satisfactory we hope that you will be on an XP soon enjoying one the best rides out there. You probably know but the 2009 Izoard was named Gear of the Year by Outdoor Magazine.
    Best regards,
    Angelo

END QUOTE

In any case, the biggest difference is aluminum steer tube in the fork. Still looks and rides like a beauty!

+1 for the Izoard!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    +1 for s separate forum

I bought an Izoard XP last month and here are my impressions:

Its sexy looking! Its light! Its smooth riding - smoother than my old titanium Moots was! However, the one downside for me was that it seemed sluggish as far as acceleration. I'd put the same watts into it and the Izoard didn't seem to respond as quickly as even the Moots had done. So in the end just packed it back up and sent it back in time for Competitive's NQA policy.

Would definitely buy a Wilier again as I think their bikes are ultra-sexy but perhaps need to spend a bit more and pickup the Cento next time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Are you using the same set of wheels? I find the Izoard to be extremely responsive with a set of Ksyrium SL's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Yes. Tried em with three sets of wheels. From 1400 something grams Williams to 1600 something gram Fulcrum wheelsets that I had on other bikes. Did rolling sprints, from a stop sprints, power numbers were showing similar efforts but it just seemed slow to accelerate for me. Maybe was just in my head? Too bad as I really wanted to like that frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I'm debating on keeping my Litespeed M1 or getting a Izoard, hmm..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    The M1 is another great bike and deal from Competitive Cyclist. I advised a guy at work to get one for his first real road bike. When he got it I helped him to put it together. I was very impressed with the way overbuilt bottom bracket area and chain stays. This bike looks to be a great climber. Also, you get a Force carbon crankset not the cheaper alloy Rival crankset. Of course the crankset is the older version but still it's a nice touch. The only real weak point on the M1 (and the Izoard) is the heavyish Aksium wheels. CC was giving an option to upgrade to Mavic K10 wheels for only $400 which is a steal if you can still get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollieholic View Post
    I'm debating on keeping my Litespeed M1 or getting a Izoard, hmm..
    Same here.
    I'm just getting back into riding after 10yrs of unhealthy living. My current ride is a 20yr old Bianchi w/ 105 that I paid $300 for (bike shop employee during summer breaks). Been riding 3-4days a week for the past 2mos. I used to be mostly mtn bike..but now seem to favor the road so I'm looking to get a new ride. It's between these two.

pbd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    I realized I never added my Izoard XP to this particular thread. And why not?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Just got started into road bikes here is my contribution

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast