Wilier Izoard, What can you tell me...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Har
    Har is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    277

    Wilier Izoard, What can you tell me...

    I am serioulsy considering this bike. I have been on a Klein Q Pro Carbon since 2003. Great bike, tons of miles but i am ready to try an all carbon frame. The Klein was ZR 9000 ALU with carbon stays and fork.

    New bike will be used for the Tues Thurs local hammerfests and 80 mile weekend rides on mostly flat terrain.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14

    Thumbs up

    I would recommend the Wilier Izoard.
    I have yet to see an owner be unsatisfied with the Izoard.
    My previous bikes are an Azzurri Tigre full carbon and one of those Hasa ebay frames.
    The Izoard rides so much stiffer on the bottom bracket and the geometry is very well balanced between racing and comfort. Although it can be too aggressive for some as I can't picture anyone riding the Wilier in a upright position.

  3. #3
    sgt
    sgt is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by micuthegreat
    I have yet to see an owner be unsatisfied with the Izoard.
    Ditto. I'm loving mine... every review and user I've seen rates this bike way above its price range.... We REALLY a need a separate Wilier forum...

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rcjunkie3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    336
    + 1 on a separate Wilier forum. Francois what do you say?

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dolamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    95
    Lets start a petition!!! I love my izoard!!!!
    “Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.” Pseudo25 · Mike Tyson quotes

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4
    Great bike, love mine, stiff with a smooth ride.
    There WAS a problem with paint yellowing on a batch over a year ago, think mine might be one of them ;(
    Even so they are apparently being replaced.
    Anyone else heard of this or had experience?

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dolamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    95

    Yellowing.

    I just recieved my new frame because of the yellowing. Purchased my original white/blu izoard in march 08'. You will start to notice the yellowing on the headtube or right under the seat along the top tube. Wilier-USA is great to deal with through your LBS. Love my new silver izoard!! They changed the white paint on all the bikes in order to correct the problem it is more like a pearl white now, looks great!! If you have the white/blu you will probably need to choose a different color. They don't make that color anymore.
    “Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.” Pseudo25 · Mike Tyson quotes

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14
    Dolamite, can we see some pictures? Hard to find some real life pics of the new color scheme of the Izoard.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rcjunkie3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    336
    Look what I ressurected:

    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=131672 Too bad the blue frame isn't made anymore. It does look nice except for that clearcoat issue.

    Dolamite, I may be narrowing my color choice to silver/white/carbon. How much of the carbon is visible on the frame other that what is shown on the headset and the fork. Is there any more areas of "naked" carbon? I am thinking of going with silver because it is more of a neutral color and it does have some red highlights on the frame to match my wheelset but not too flashy red like the red frame.

    Do post photos... Please

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dolamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    95

    Some Pics!!

    Here are some pics I took Before components. The only carbon you see is pretty much on the headtube and right behind a water bottle cage. I dont mind not seeing to much carbon my components will and some anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.” Pseudo25 · Mike Tyson quotes

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14
    That looks damn sexy! Can't wait to see it all done up

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Dolamite, Yeah great bikes, Hopefully Wilier UK will be as helpful.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rcjunkie3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    336
    Thanks to Dolamite's photo. I got one coming in also. Just put a deposit for the frame. It looks great in person. Can't wait.

    BTW, I emailed Francois and he said there could be a separate Wilier forum if there's at least 100 posts. I think there is more than that...keep posting!

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dolamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    95

    Sweet!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000
    Thanks to Dolamite's photo. I got one coming in also. Just put a deposit for the frame. It looks great in person. Can't wait.

    BTW, I emailed Francois and he said there could be a separate Wilier forum if there's at least 100 posts. I think there is more than that...keep posting!
    Post the pics when you get it. Can't wait to see the different setups
    “Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.” Pseudo25 · Mike Tyson quotes

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rcjunkie3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    336
    Will definitely post photos. I hope the order doesn't take 4-6 weeks.

    Components-wise, most die-hard Italian frame guys may cringe when I say my build will consist of a full SRAM Red red gruppo, Rolf Prima (USA) Elan wheels and / or Reynolds wheels and a Ritchey cockpit. All those parts are coming from another bike I recently let go. Can't wait to ride, my test ride was awesome!

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Finally got my izoard this week. Ordered it in July. 4 month wait for a 2010 XXL frame! So far it seems worth every moment of pulling my hair out watching the winter arrive. Comfortable but stiff and aggressive when required. Looks damn good too. Just need some more daylight.

  17. #17
    Crazy Hill Climber
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    29
    Hey Izoard owners, have/had you owned and/or test ridden the Look bikes as well? Just wondering as I'm considering the Izoard along with 585 - they seem somewhat similar in most people's reviews (or so it seems?). I definitely like the Izoard looks, etc. but want a nice smooth ride along with great climbing. I climb a lot, and put in about 150+ miles as week at 44 yrs/185lbs/5'11".

    Thanks in advance.

    Derek

  18. #18
    S-Works Tarmac SL3
    Reputation: NealH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    826
    Get the Izoard.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    966
    Look 585 is totally different as its lugged construction as opposed to monocoque - there are very few frame that are still manufactured using the lugged construction due to high cost of production such as Colnago EPS and Look 595 - pretty much all monocoque frames are very in asia but they lack the technical expetise to make the lugged construction.

    On road the main difference between the two is comfort - in lugged construction it is possible to fine tune the frame so its stiff to pedal and comfortable to ride down side being that its a little heavier than monocoque which is why top of the range Colnago & Look are heavier than ultra light weight monocoque frames such as Ridley Helium or Scott - in monocoque its almost impossible to have both so frames usually lean one way or the other i.e. comfortable and not so stiff to pedal or harsh and stiff to pedal.

    I have ridden my wife's 585 over a short distance (too small for me) and its very comfortable and effortless to ride but have not tried the Izoard. However I have some friends on Cento1 and Le Roi - Cento is great but they have problems with the compatibility of oversized BB with some chainsets (shimano, sram, fsa) - it seems that you need to glue the BB. As for Le Roi - my friend hated climbing in it and it has been commented by some reviewers that it has an odd geometry - his also suffered from discolouration - anyway i noticed LeRoi has been discontinued. Generally Izoard seems to be a strong performer in their line up.

    If it was me I'd go for the 585 as I have a feeling either prices will have to be increased or it will be replaced by a monocoque model - same lugged construction from Colnago, etc will set you back over 5k.
    A writer cannot serve today those who make history, he must serve those who are subject to it - history's victims ..... Albert Camus

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,745
    Quote Originally Posted by deerock
    Hey Izoard owners, have/had you owned and/or test ridden the Look bikes as well? Just wondering as I'm considering the Izoard along with 585 - they seem somewhat similar in most people's reviews (or so it seems?). I definitely like the Izoard looks, etc. but want a nice smooth ride along with great climbing. I climb a lot, and put in about 150+ miles as week at 44 yrs/185lbs/5'11".

    Thanks in advance.

    Derek
    I haven't been on either.....and I'm not a bike expert but just some schmuck on the internet....so take this for what it's worth.

    But coincidentally I boiled it down the these two and I've done a lot of research myself. I like a lot of others also but needed to make it just two so I could get some focus. My research included a long talk with the owner of a high end bike shop that carries each that I trust. He's not just selling bikes as a business venture, he rides everything and it was clear he wasn't trying to sell me on over the other. So I took his imput seriously.

    Anyway, I came to the conclusion that the 585 is a better frame mainly because it would be a little stiffer in the BB area.

    However, although I'm powerful for a weekend warrior rider.....I'm not so powerful that I feel the Izoard would be lacking in that area for me.....or most anyone for that matter.

    So, I think which ever of these two a good fitter that I trusted said was right for me would be the better choice because I'd have all the frame I needed and then some with either.

    Then, assuming the fit was perfect for each (I haven't gotten to that stage yet). I'm leaning towards the Izoard. While I think the 585 is a better frame, the reason I'd lean to the Izoard is that I think the difference is minimal, possibly not material for a rider at my level, and with my budget being limited with the savings on the Izoard over the 585 (about $1000) I could get MUCH better wheels on an Izoard build thus getting a better overall bike for the same money.

    If money was no issue and I could pimp out either one with great wheels, and again assuming a perfect fit for each, I'd get the 585.

  21. #21
    Poseur Extraordinaire
    Reputation: labmonkey526's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    I haven't been on either.....and I'm not a bike expert but just some schmuck on the internet....so take this for what it's worth.

    But coincidentally I boiled it down the these two and I've done a lot of research myself. I like a lot of others also but needed to make it just two so I could get some focus. My research included a long talk with the owner of a high end bike shop that carries each that I trust. He's not just selling bikes as a business venture, he rides everything and it was clear he wasn't trying to sell me on over the other. So I took his imput seriously.

    Anyway, I came to the conclusion that the 585 is a better frame mainly because it would be a little stiffer in the BB area.

    However, although I'm powerful for a weekend warrior rider.....I'm not so powerful that I feel the Izoard would be lacking in that area for me.....or most anyone for that matter.

    So, I think which ever of these two a good fitter that I trusted said was right for me would be the better choice because I'd have all the frame I needed and then some with either.

    Then, assuming the fit was perfect for each (I haven't gotten to that stage yet). I'm leaning towards the Izoard. While I think the 585 is a better frame, the reason I'd lean to the Izoard is that I think the difference is minimal, possibly not material for a rider at my level, and with my budget being limited with the savings on the Izoard over the 585 (about $1000) I could get MUCH better wheels on an Izoard build thus getting a better overall bike for the same money.

    If money was no issue and I could pimp out either one with great wheels, and again assuming a perfect fit for each, I'd get the 585.
    +1

    Also I realize this has to be a dead thread, but saw no response from the OP so I thought I drop in my 2 cents. FYI I own a 2009 Izoard. I love it. My buddy has a Look 566. He loves that. I've ridden both- ride is responsive on his, responsive on mine, but i think a bit more "forgiving" on mine which is what I wanted- plus better fit geo for me.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rcjunkie3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    336

    2010 Wilier Izoard silver

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolamite
    Post the pics when you get it. Can't wait to see the different setups
    It arrived. It took a month and a half. Here's the final build with the SRAM Red group and Reynolds wheelset.


  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    966
    Look 585 is one fine comfy ride - some even complain that its not stiff enough in BB or Fork/HT, I couldn't imagine any frame being more comfortable without a huge drop in performance so if Izoard is more comfortable ..............
    A writer cannot serve today those who make history, he must serve those who are subject to it - history's victims ..... Albert Camus

  24. #24
    Crazy Hill Climber
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    29
    thanks my friend. I ended up purchasing a Time Razor (Vibraser) and absolutely love it. Izoard was among the top of the list, love that bike. Enjoy

  25. #25
    Poseur Extraordinaire
    Reputation: labmonkey526's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000
    It arrived. It took a month and a half. Here's the final build with the SRAM Red group and Reynolds wheelset.

    Sweet! I wish they had all white in 2009!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.