XACD thinking about a Ti bike with them - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

I've had two XACD frames for 3+ years

I ordered my first XACD frame (a cyclocross) almost four years ago. It was a bit heavier than super high end Ti frames, but other than that, I have no complaints about it. My second frame was a track frame. I really liked that bike--carbon forks, Phil Wood hubs unfortunately someone stole it a few months ago. All in all I was happy with the frames, the weight was not unreasonably heavy as one of the earlier posters suggests. The welds were good.

I've decided to build a couple more track bikes. I'm definitely going with XACD again. I know exactly what I want and there is no way I could order a custom frame for anywhere near the price of an XACD frame.

For anyone considering ordering from XACD, I would strongly suggest knowing exactly what you want before sending them them an email. Porter--their sales rep can seem impatient and rude at times. Particularly if you change something you asked for previously. Know the exact geometry and tube sizes you want, where you want your cable stays and what kind etc.

If you can get the specs of a Ti bike that fits and is what you want, just send them the details. Pricewise they aren't quite as cheap as they used to be. I'm getting two 63cm frames for $695 apiece.

I don't think there is any need for concern about quality--from what I understand, they make frames for several brands. I may be wrong, but Spicer Ti frames look a lot like XACDs. I don't know about now, but Spicer used to sell Ti forks that were identical to the ones made by XACD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    As for long term, have had a Ti frame they built for me 7 years ago, no issues at all. Frame was prepped very well, they were very fast in getting it made. I'm looking into another bike from them now, as still it's an incredible value for very custom design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I have just received my frame from XACD. I ordered a standard double butted cx frame. Porter specified me the weight: 1300 gr. In reality the weight is 1650 gr. When I asked why it is so heavy, he said because of the disc break mount added Well, it is difficult to discuss in that way, so before order from them think twice. I think they just dont have butted tubes. But the quality good, it looks nice, will see on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    A 350 gram disc brake mount should be REALLY sturdy!!

I've gotten into a few shouting matches with Porter. It is really difficult to discuss anything with him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Porter gave me a discount of 50 bucks for the next order, what a gentleman !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    That's better than what I got.

My XACD frames (4 in total) have all been a bit on the heavy side. But, they have gotten very hard city use and survived it very, very well. Three of the frames are track frames. I sold the cyclocross and had one of the track frames stolen. I'm riding my second and third track frames now. Heavy daily commuting use--banged around, up and down curbs and in and out of traffic. If they were really for the track, I would've sent them back to Porter, but for my use and abuse, they're just about right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    XACD just want to sell you something. They will lie to you to get your money. He (Porter) will quote you 1300g, and you get it and it's way over 1600g. Other people have said that they have suspected their XACD double-butted frames, were really single-butted. They fudge alot on the price too. Frame price used to be alot lower, but they will just try to get you for as much as they can. Check around on other forums though. Some people getting these at five to six-hundred bucks. Some paying 800. It's just a bargaining thing, and different economies of diff countries. There are other more reliable sellers in Asia than XACD if you must go this route. Check out LSL titanium and the company formerly known as Hi-Light. You can bargain with them too on price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

I agree with Rook

As I have had opportunities to ride other Ti frame bikes, I have become increasingly disenchanted with my XACD frames. My biggest disappointment so far from XACD is an oval Ti track frame. It is way to heavy and way too stiff. I'm probably going to be dismantling it and putting the parts on another frame.

Due to the weight of the frames and Porter's pushiness, next time I get a frame, it will be from another builder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Have to say repeated discussions with Porter @ XACD have been very frustrating.. As a potential repeat customer, he is the worst example of professionalism I can imagine. I start also wondering whether there is any real bicycle expertise there (this is confirmed when simple questions are asked - they are more autocad people than bicycle people). I think that they are farming these out as a design studio front to a larger contractor behind them. So they are the middleman for a welding/fabrication firm, as there are many many other titanium frame mfctrs if you look on alibaba. The bad stories read about others not getting assistance with issues after the sale makes it difficult to take the risk again, if there are other options.

Would like others opinions on other options - saw the Hilight example and also LSL. Will check into them. There is a company called titan products, Eric is contact,

http://titanproducts.en.ec21.com/company_info.jsp

they seem to do a lot of work also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    i've had it with XACD, this is the first and last frame with that shithead Porter. 11 ****in weeks and not a sign of completing. I suspect they didnt even get started till the 8th week. at the very least. Perhaps i will try Titanproducts for my next frame.
    Last edited by babyrabies; 10-27-2011 at 09:15 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by babyrabies View Post
    i've had it with XACD, this is the first and last frame with that shithead Porter. 11 ****in weeks and not a sign of completing. I suspect they didnt even get started till the 8th week. at the very least. Perhaps i will try Titanproducts for my next frame.
    I feel your pain bro. Bought a newsboy ti frame from XACD earlier in the year and I didn't have very good experience dealing with that a$$#0!* Porter. Took them 13 weeks to deliver the frame after telling me 3 weeks. Can't get a straight answer from them. They also messed up on the rear brake bridge and would not admit their mistake. Go with Titan for your next custom. They are more professional and their pricing is a lot cheaper plus they will take Paypal or escrow as form of payment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbeans View Post
    Have to say repeated discussions with Porter @ XACD have been very frustrating.. As a potential repeat customer, he is the worst example of professionalism I can imagine. I start also wondering whether there is any real bicycle expertise there (this is confirmed when simple questions are asked - they are more autocad people than bicycle people). I think that they are farming these out as a design studio front to a larger contractor behind them. So they are the middleman for a welding/fabrication firm, as there are many many other titanium frame mfctrs if you look on alibaba. The bad stories read about others not getting assistance with issues after the sale makes it difficult to take the risk again, if there are other options.

Would like others opinions on other options - saw the Hilight example and also LSL. Will check into them. There is a company called titan products, Eric is contact,

Xi'an Titanproduct Co., Ltd - Company Profile

they seem to do a lot of work also.
    I'm currently working with Titan on a custom road ti frame. They are more professional and their pricing is a lot cheaper plus they will take Paypal or escrow as form of payment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I have just got a frame from Titan Products. Received it about a month ago and although it's hidden in my loft at the moment, I'm really happy with it.

I dealt with Anita and she was great, No pressure even with all my little changes.

I've posted some photos on one of the other Ti threads.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bik...ml#post3643462

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Just a point to add on - Titan Products (re/Anita) still isn't doing a separable style frame as others have mentioned XACD will do. Anyone found a non-XACD vendor that will do titanium couplers ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123