XACD thinking about a Ti bike with them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

XACD thinking about a Ti bike with them

Just read the recent post on XACD. I'm thinking of ordering a custom Ti bike from them. Anybody have experience with them and their bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

love em

I purchased a frame from them beginning of the year. Just make sure you double check the drawings they send you... I have very positive things to say about the whole process. From the day that I confirmed the order and sent the money order over, till the box landed at my workplace was about 3.5 weeks.
    Keep in mind the shipping costs adds a good bit to the cost of the frame, and then sending a money order my bank charged me a nominal fee. But still cheaper than ordering a habanero..

The frame looks great, welds are nice, finish isnt much to look at as its sand blasted. I requested some oversized tubing, which they accommodated, and I basically took the geometry of my specialized Allez and gave that to them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    1) How much was shipping?

2) Sandblast finish? I've seen the plain titanium frames of Moots, Seven, Serotta, Litespeed. This is the frame finish that I want. Is sandblasting a rougher finish? More pitted? I don't want the finish to be shiny and polished like chrome. I just want a regular Ti frame that I can rub once in a while with a dish pad. Is this what I'll get?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Shipping was 145, so the total was 625 for me. The finish looks pretty plain... a bit more dull than I would have liked, but not pitted. I'll see if I can post some pictures later tonight. It's definitely not shiny/chrome. I would describe it more as a gunmetal gray. Even though its plain looking, I actually like how it looks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Sounds like what I'm looking for. I don't want any painted frames anymore where the paint chips. Plain Ti always looks brand new.

Now I'd like to here from you after you have it put together and have ridden it. How does it ride? Does it absorb the road vibrations or do you feel it? I thought Ti always absorbed road vibrations until I recently read about someone who bought a non-brand not well known Ti frame and was disappointed with the way it rode and the vibrations he felt.

If you can put up with the money thing, the potential risk of not getting your money back, the lack of a warranty, the hassle of dealing with someone you don't know and in a place that you can't visit, it's worth it to save this kinda of money.

I found a Chinese guy in NYC that sells Ti frames he buys from a Chinese factory but he does no custom work. He sells what he has in stock or what they send him. He wants about $700 but it's not custom. I found some other custom Ti manufacturers for $750-$900 that less scary because they are not in China.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I've put maybe 50 miles on it so far. I don't know if its because I'm a larger rider (250#), or I'm don't have enough experience riding different types of bikes, but it felt pretty similar to my old M2 Allez frame. Its a bit more responsive, and tad less stiff. I also threw on a Reynolds Ouza Pro fork, so that might have affected the ride some as I had an older Kinesis Carbon fork before.

Personally though, I like it a lot. Maybe its because my brain is telling me its Ti, so therefore its a better bike

I was worried about the whole warranty, foreign country, possible screwup headeaches, and was considering going with habanero. Everyone seems to speak highly of them at least from what I read, but I figured, well, you save about 300 bucks, and that could go towards some nice wheels...or at least some overhyped ceramic bearings...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Habanero & saving $300 and going towards something else is my thoughts exactly and why I would take a chance with XACD.

BUT how does the frame take road vibrations and bumps? I've ridden two Ti bikes and they took the bumps and potholes like I had shocks on the bike. I then took my Al bike over the same roads and it shook me apart. What a difference.
    Last edited by lawrence; 01-22-2009 at 10:24 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

pics of my xacd frame

I regret not taking pictures before I built up the frame. I like how the seat stays are curved. I asked for the welded on seat binder, though I sort of regret that now. At the time I thought it would look a bit cleaner, but I dunno... The welds look fairly nice to me, but I never really compared it to any other ti frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I have just received 5 custom mtb frames from them.
    We got a good deal on the shipping and also a discount on the custom geometry.
    It came to 530/frame.
    One frame had the bb threads slightly crooked, so the BB would not sit absolutely flush with the frame. We have yet to resolve this problem - but the owner does not seem to be too bothered as it works fine. Personally I would have been upset.
    Everything else was absolutely spot on - good clean & tidy welds.,

Aug 2008
    Hi deanyuan,
    do you know the weight of your frame from XACD? Is it their standard road frame or with a custom geometry? How was the contact with XACD? What are the options for custom frames? only the geometry or also things like double / triple butted tubes, tube diameter, etc.? How is the stiffness of the bike?

Greetings,
    KM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    KM,
    I wished i had weighed the bike before i built it up, but never did. Felt similar to my allez m2, but who knows.
    The guy who works at XACD, Porter, must live with a computer welded to himself as he replies immediately. On my frame, I spec'd the geometry as well as the tube thickness. I don't know what kind of tubes they are, whether theyre double/triple butted, but I think mine were all straight gauge. Since I'm a heavier rider, I specd out some thicker down tubes and chain stays.

dy

Nov 2008
    Hi everyone,

I am Kevin,I come from XACD, I am a designer bike! Perhaps your frame that I designed.I really want to know about the evaluation of the product XACD.Whether I pay tribute to criticize or acceptable.

I hope make friends with the cycling fans here .

Thank you very much.
    Kind regards
    Kevin,
    msn: [email protected]
    Last edited by xaTimei; 11-12-2008 at 08:17 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

-------

----------------------
    Last edited by eduvauchelle; 05-12-2010 at 04:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

--

--------------------
    Last edited by eduvauchelle; 05-12-2010 at 04:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Great pictures, Thank you. Interesting what they did with the seat post clamp, there is none, it's built into the frame. How will that work out?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    ---------------------

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by eduvauchelle
    it should work fine. I mean Moots does it, so i suppose it works great.
    i'll let you know. I'll probably have to use tiprep to avoid slippage. the only bummer for me was this damn derailleur tab.

Did they offer any options on finish? I'm curious...I note the lack of branding, as well as headtube badge.

Looks quite slick, and very beautiful welds
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    -----------------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    to educhavelle,
    what size tubes were used?
    cannot really tell based on the drawing..

RoadBikeReview Member
    to Kevin.

regarding tube torsional stiffness and lateral stiffness
    what
    what would be the equivalent to a 31.8mm 0.9mm gauge tube steel tube..

a 35mm ti or 38mm ti tube?

can you give us a general guideline about tube strength equivalency? like this

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    --------------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    -------------------------------

Nov 2008
    Hi locominute , eduvauchelle

locominute said right, but general guideline head tube is 38.1mm diameter and 2.15mm thick, top tube is 31.8mm diameter and 0.9mm, seat tube is 58cm long 34.9mm diameter and 0.9 mm thick, good. of course, 31.8x0.9 seat tube is also general guideline

"as far as equivalence for ti vs steel i have no clue" -----I also like this

locominute are well aware of us, yes, "regarding tube torsional stiffness and lateral stiffness", don't worry we do good bikes, we make many bikes, in general, no problem.

locominute "don't recommend the Ti Seatpost" , I would like to know which style one??

Thank you!
    Kevin

Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eduvauchelle
    From the start the experience was very good. Ultra Fast build on custom measurements and specs. I based my design on the Moots Vamoots Compact and modified it. they were super easy to deal with, fast response.

Word of advice though! i got my bike today and it looks and measures as i asked BUT they welded a front derailleur tab on the seat tube that i didn't notice on the drawings. Not the end of the world considering i spent $480 on the frame, $60 on the seatpost and $150 on shipping. But i had to get a different derailleur! So look over your diagrams carefully!

The CAD drawings they send to you to verify the specs are super detailed and it's easy to miss things. But overall as you can see from pics, Super good packaging, welds are clean. I am sure this as good in feel as a $2800 Moots for $2400 less. I'll give a ride feedback post later.
    Thank you for Xi'an-made sure, about you said "welded a front derailleur tab on the seat tube that i didn't notice on the drawings. Not the end of the world considering , ...... look over your diagrams carefully", I am very sorry!!! I do not know your frame of the specific drawings, do your send me? generally, we are in full accordance with the customer to make sure the drawings. we will meet all the requirements of the customers, guest did not say, according to bike's make standards. perhaps we neglect. we should improve the review of the drawings

sorry!
    thanks!
    kevin

RoadBikeReview Member
    to xatimei

what size OD tubing guideline would you use for

1. 170lb rider?
    2. 190lb rider
    3. 210lb rider?

any advantage to bending the chainstays into a "S" shape vs. your current style?

or how about keeping the chainstays straight?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast