Classic road rides in Washinton state. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWA
    Thanks for the heads up! I will definitely join up one of these Saturdays. I'm definitely looking for new routes and people to ride with. My new standard is to ride out to Puyallup on Pioneer, then out towards sumner, then a loop in the hills out there on the east side of 162. It's a pretty flat most of the way on Pioneer, but you can take some side routes on the way out to 162 and add some undulations into that part of the ride depending on your fancy.
    Try riding out on the west side down toward Titlow Beach, then along Grandview, down Chambers Creek to Steilacoom and then up past Cormorant Passage on the DuPont/Steilacoom Highway to DuPont. Then right on Center Drive to I-5 and go south one intersection to Mounts Road, take a left and ride over I-5 and then down the hill into the Nisqually valley. You can then either turn lefet on Reservation or continue to the stop sign and then turn left and either one takes you all the way to Yelm. If you know how to get there you can also go north of Yelm and Olympia to Johnson Point, Boston Harbor and Fishtrap loop.

Oct 2004
    I dont think i've ever ridden up Alder oddly enough, considering that i live a few blocks away from there. I go straight up 30th from Old Town regularly, which is plenty steep and long enough for me. I cant stay seated for most of it with my double though, out of the saddle most of the way up. And i definitely dont think i'd enjoy 7-8 reps up that hill.
    30th is steep, just not quite as steep as Alder/36th hill. The Alder part is deceiving baecause there is a switch back and it gets you to think this isn't so bad ... then the road turns left and hits a pretty good wall. My VDO has measured up to 17% on one of the ramps between the cross streets on the way up.

Most people ride up 31st by cutting through the alley directly west of Old Town or 31st because there is less traffic.

Odd you should mention in your earlier posts and I know the roads really well in Tacoma too, but I don't find Tacoma too bad for riding in other than the Hilltop at night. I guess I know enough alternate roads to keep moving and at most just slowing down for the stop signs that I know how to avoid most of it.

We often do a great ride from Spoke and Sprockets on Wednesday night at 6PM where we ride down Grandview, down Chambers Creek, up past Ft. Steilacoom Park, then a loop of Oakbrook, a loop of Gravelly Lake and Loop of Lake Louise, sometimes we will mix it up a little and maybe do an out and back to DuPont. The ride starts off at moderate fast, then we climb the hill from Steilacoom and regroup at Far West Drive and then hammer through Oakbrook and then socialize until we get to Gravelly Lake for another intense interval and then soft pedal again and then interval on the rollers around Lake Louise and then some guys who are feeling strong will race up Chambers Creek where we regroup at the top with the rest of the riders that are taking it easy up the hill and then social pace back to the shop or home for many.

I forgot to mention this option as well in my earlier post. Before you come out on Saturdays, check with the shop to make sure we aren't meeting somewhere else for a longer ride like Mt. Rainer or somewhere else. If you want you can get on the mailing list if you like the group so you know what we are up to from one weekend to the next.

Apr 2005
    If you guys want to get out of the city and onto the Olympic Peninsula try the Port Townsend/Chimacum area which is my home. (I agree that Hurricane is worth the exercise). We have some beautiful rides on mostly country roads.

If you want your climbing yaya's here's a route for you: Start at Chimacum schools & head out West Valley road which is a pretty farm and woods lined road and come out at Center Valley heading toward Quilcene (down and around the bay at Quil is my favorite ride), then take the Daybob/Coyle road and climb for about 5 miles up and along the Coyle Peninsula. You'll be able to see the Hood Canal and the Olympics at the same time from the top, but it rolls and rolls through the trees. Then take the turn past Silent Lake and down Thorndike road (a fast, fast drop) then climb and decend your way toward the Hood Canal Bridge where you'll take the road out to the main highway 101 and travel 1/2 mile to Teal Lake road. Teal Lake goes up and more up and then goes up a while longer and then cuts some of your heart out. At the top you'll wind down through new homes in the Port Ludlow development and drop down to the Tide nine at Pt. Ludlow.

Next you'll find yourself at a turn on Paradise Bay road where you'll take a left and follow the road along the bay into Pt. Ludlow. You'll continue to Swansonville Road and climb up over that ridge (your legs should be a little soft by now) and then decend to Beaver Valley road (becareful it's got the most traffic in the area) and turn right toward Chimacum until for about 3/4 a mile then turn left onto Egg & I road.

The road is named for the Ma & Pa Kettle stories (and you'll pass the old homestead) and starts with a short but killer hill, but once your up it in a while there is a fast decent and another (stop for a beer at "Hole in the Woods" [my place]) and then take a right on Center Valley and 4 miles back to the school on gentle roll. The whole ride is probably 42 miles, but I bet that even a good climber will find it a decent workout. I know it kicks my butt on a regular basis, but I'm old & slow with the vision of a 30 year old kid in my brain.

There are plenty of nice places to stay in Port Townsend, camping at Fort Worden, good restaurants, music and festivals.

It's all ball bearings
    I will definitely join you guys on a wednesday evening ride, i usually ride around that time after work anyway. do you work at spoke and sprockets?

re: riding in tacoma, it's just a lot more lights and stop signs than I'm used to. Most of my riding in Bham was well outside of any residential areas, and before Bham, I lived in north central vermont which is REALLY rural.

My neighbor told me not to ride east of 6th ave and to avoid certain parts of lakewood, but maybe it's not really that bad as long as you keep it moving along......

Oct 2004
    I will definitely join you guys on a wednesday evening ride, i usually ride around that time after work anyway. do you work at spoke and sprockets?

re: riding in tacoma, it's just a lot more lights and stop signs than I'm used to. Most of my riding in Bham was well outside of any residential areas, and before Bham, I lived in north central vermont which is REALLY rural.

My neighbor told me not to ride east of 6th ave and to avoid certain parts of lakewood, but maybe it's not really that bad as long as you keep it moving along......
    It is kind of hard to not ride east of 6th Ave since it is an E/W street

Maybe your friend was talking about Hilltop, roughly inscribed by 6th Street to the North, Sprague to the West and probably Fawcett to the East and Center to the South. Still you are fine here, I think in the daytime, just not a very nice area to ride in anyway because the streets are not in good shape anyway. Ponders in Lakewood has a bad reputation, which is probably the only bad area you can get to by biicycle in Lakewood. Also the area south of I-5 if you cross on Bridgeport from the north there is a little pocket neighborhood just before the entrance to the Air Force base that is rough. It certainly is not South Side of Chicago or South Bronx rough.

No, I don't work for Spoke and Sprocket, but I do think they have the best fast riding recreational group in the Tacoma area. We really support each other and always regroup. So I ride for them recreationally and race a little for the team. I think the owner of Spoke and Sprocket is the best bike fitter or if you need an RAD in Tacoma. Also, if you want a classic custom built Italian, go there.

Old Town has much better prices in general and more American or Taiwanese made products and better mechanical support. But they don't have as regular riding group except in the winter from the Gig Harbor shop.

Both great shops for different needs and reasons to support both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12