Elkhorns ride

Thread: Elkhorns ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Elkhorns ride

After seeing what has happened with the ride over by Mount St. Helens I was thinking that there is a ride that could be made to take it's place.
    A ride from Joseph Oregon to Oxbow Oregon. There is a way through there on pavement.
    I have seen a youtube video of a couple of guys on motorcycles riding it. Only Backwards from the way I would do it.
    There is some good climbing and a very long downhill too. Some great views. It is beautiful country there. I love it.
    So if any of you are looking for a fantastic ride you should try this one. I think a video of it would be fantastic.
    Anyway there is an idea for you hardcore riders.

banned
    Jun 2008
    Do you have a forest service road number ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 80turbota View Post
    After seeing what has happened with the ride over by Mount St. Helens I was thinking that there is a ride that could be made to take it's place.
    A ride from Joseph Oregon to Oxbow Oregon. There is a way through there on pavement.
    I have seen a youtube video of a couple of guys on motorcycles riding it. Only Backwards from the way I would do it.
    There is some good climbing and a very long downhill too. Some great views. It is beautiful country there. I love it.
    So if any of you are looking for a fantastic ride you should try this one. I think a video of it would be fantastic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    No I don't. I have Google earth it. But I haven't done it for a while. I have been in a car on it years and years ago. I need to go back and check it out now. It is a bit more than just a day trip for me so I got to use the whole weekend to do it. (weekends are far and few in between for me. So when I get one it is usually pretty hectic.)
    Very very pretty country tho. Well worth the trip if you ever get out that way. Very rugged.

banned
    Jun 2008
    I've done several week long back country ski-mountaineering trips in the Wallowas. We stayed in some yurts.

I did look at the wallowa loop road (may be part of it) on google earth. It looks like much of that is two lane highway.
    No I don't. I have Google earth it. But I haven't done it for a while. I have been in a car on it years and years ago. I need to go back and check it out now. It is a bit more than just a day trip for me so I got to use the whole weekend to do it. (weekends are far and few in between for me. So when I get one it is usually pretty hectic.)
    Very very pretty country tho. Well worth the trip if you ever get out that way. Very rugged.

RoadBikeReview Member
    why would Oxbox be your destination? I've driven through that area many times.
    There's nothing in Oxbox. Sagebrush. At least head a few miles west to Baker and grab a beer at Barley Browns when you're done.
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bahueh View Post
    why would Oxbox be your destination? I've driven through that area many times.
    There's nothing in Oxbox. Sagebrush. At least head a few miles west to Baker and grab a beer at Barley Browns when you're done.
    I have spent many a summer in that area camping with my family. I love the place. My dad talked for some time about working for the school there in Oxbow. It would make for a very nice ride for me. Well at least I think it would. You are right heading the direction of Baker would be a good ride too but the road is kinda busy and narrow. If I were to do that I would stop in Richland or Halfway. I don't think I would ride all the way to Baker.