STP primer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 60

Thread: STP primer

  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: choppedsled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    106
    So how many riders out of 9500 would you guess actually made the half way point? And how many actually finished the race in 2008? I was looking at pics from last years race and it looked a lot like bloomsday in the beginning.

  2. #27
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedsled
    So how many riders out of 9500 would you guess actually made the half way point? And how many actually finished the race in 2008? I was looking at pics from last years race and it looked a lot like bloomsday in the beginning.
    Probably find the stats on the Cascade site. The weather was hot last year, I know it affected a lot riders during the one day. For me, hot days means covering as much distance as possible before noon. My goal is lunch in Oregon. When I did it in 1997, the weather was horrible, mid 40's with headwinds and rain. I finished at around 11 hours, but there were many who quit around mile 80-100. I got some triflow from a guy in Centralia who was putting his bike on a roof rack. There were a few 2-3 rider pileups in the first couple of miles this year. There were too many riders starting at the front who had no business being there. If you intend to ride 16 mph for the entire day, don't start in the front.
    Retired sailor

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    37
    What's the average speed you would recommend to finish the STP in one day? What's the average on climbs?

  4. #29
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzg35
    What's the average speed you would recommend to finish the STP in one day? What's the average on climbs?
    Fast enough to finish by dark. Learn to ride in a group with a rotating pace line and you will ride faster. I can't suggest a speed, just be prepared to ride at 18+ mph in a group and you will do fine. Climbs are climbs, don't worry about an average, just stay with the group. The only longish climb is Puyallup around mile 40 when you are relatively fresh. After Puyallup it gets flat until south of Centralia. Do some centuries, get comfortable around other riders.
    Retired sailor

  5. #30
    Squeaky Wheel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    36
    I've signed up for STP this year and intend to do it in one day.

    Long time Mountain Biker, but I bought a road bike last October and started commuting to work. It's 38 miles round-trip and I've been doing it pretty religiously 2-3 days/week. I figure I'll start putting in some 60-80-100 mile rides as spring/summer come. I've always thought about STP and figured what the hell, I might as well go for it this year.

    I am going to go on a few rides with a group of road bikers at work to get schooled up on the whole group riding thing. But I will be doing the STP by myself - how does it work with hooking up with other riders on the road? Do you just join up with a paceline going your speed? Ask first before hooking on? How long do you typically pull for? What's the etiquette here?

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: rcnute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway
    I've signed up for STP this year and intend to do it in one day.

    Long time Mountain Biker, but I bought a road bike last October and started commuting to work. It's 38 miles round-trip and I've been doing it pretty religiously 2-3 days/week. I figure I'll start putting in some 60-80-100 mile rides as spring/summer come. I've always thought about STP and figured what the hell, I might as well go for it this year.

    I am going to go on a few rides with a group of road bikers at work to get schooled up on the whole group riding thing. But I will be doing the STP by myself - how does it work with hooking up with other riders on the road? Do you just join up with a paceline going your speed? Ask first before hooking on? How long do you typically pull for? What's the etiquette here?
    I wouldn't try and join a group I didn't know (usually they have an objective in mind), but sometimes you end up out there with just one other person and you figure out pretty quick if your pacing is equivalent. Just ride up and ask. I'm no racer, so don't know what "pull etiquette" is here; usually two minute pulls is what I usually would do.

  7. #32
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway
    I've signed up for STP this year and intend to do it in one day.

    Long time Mountain Biker, but I bought a road bike last October and started commuting to work. It's 38 miles round-trip and I've been doing it pretty religiously 2-3 days/week. I figure I'll start putting in some 60-80-100 mile rides as spring/summer come. I've always thought about STP and figured what the hell, I might as well go for it this year.

    I am going to go on a few rides with a group of road bikers at work to get schooled up on the whole group riding thing. But I will be doing the STP by myself - how does it work with hooking up with other riders on the road? Do you just join up with a paceline going your speed? Ask first before hooking on? How long do you typically pull for? What's the etiquette here?

    Spend some time riding in groups before the STP. Centuries like Flying Wheels have lots of flat terrain between the hills that give you time to ride in a pack with a rotating pace line. The beauty of a ride like STP is that you will eventually find a group that rides your pace. Keep in mind that you can make better time in a group so don't get intimidated if a group passes you. Unless it's a team in matching kits, you should be able to jump on and work with them. Big groups aren't really that great. Bigger groups tend to "slinky" as people open gaps and speed up to close them. Being behind a slinky will wear you out with the constant speed changes. Find a small group of ten or less. Get a feel for how long other people pull to determine how long you should go. Do your share but don't get heroic, you have to do 200 miles.
    Retired sailor

  8. #33
    Poseur
    Reputation: GerryR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by hoehnt
    I started an STP 2009 Facebook group if anyone is interested in joining.
    Does it have a name? I found one called "STP 2009!" Is that it? My riding buddy and I wouldn't mind hooking up with some other folks for the ride.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,250
    That post about threatening someone for braking? Huh? What's with that on a double century non-competative ride?

    What a fricken Bozo! Not the 'Brake-er" the wheel sucker..I mean, if you don't care for the wheel of the guy you are following, aren't you just free to go around and lead yourownself? How about this? Say something like..."Hey fella, here is how you ride when working with others" and then ride past the guy you are whining about and show him how to do it.

    I've even seen (heard?) complaints like that sometimes in Cat 4/5 races...someone from the rear of the pack, yelling out to the leaders to 'do something different'....You don't "lead from the rear" in any bike ride, do you?

    I'd have to say the guy with the big mouth and the pump was pathetic, but then sometimes newbie cyclists blame everyone but themselves when they start "hurtin" during a ride it . Poor guys..

    Don Hanson

  10. #35
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly 928
    That post about threatening someone for braking? Huh? What's with that on a double century non-competative ride?

    What a fricken Bozo! Not the 'Brake-er" the wheel sucker..I mean, if you don't care for the wheel of the guy you are following, aren't you just free to go around and lead yourownself? How about this? Say something like..."Hey fella, here is how you ride when working with others" and then ride past the guy you are whining about and show him how to do it.

    I've even seen (heard?) complaints like that sometimes in Cat 4/5 races...someone from the rear of the pack, yelling out to the leaders to 'do something different'....You don't "lead from the rear" in any bike ride, do you?

    I'd have to say the guy with the big mouth and the pump was pathetic, but then sometimes newbie cyclists blame everyone but themselves when they start "hurtin" during a ride it . Poor guys..

    Don Hanson

    I was the jerk. Kreger was behind me as well. Guy in front of me just randomly grabbed his brakes while the pack was rolling along at 24 mph. No one in front of him, no one swerved, etc, no reason to brake. I wasn't riding in the back, we were rotating. The guy I yelled at pulled out of the pace line and on his way back apologized for not paying attention. I wasn't the only guy who chewed him out, we were inches from a huge pileup because of his actions.
    Retired sailor

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    I was the jerk. Kreger was behind me as well. Guy in front of me just randomly grabbed his brakes while the pack was rolling along at 24 mph. No one in front of him, no one swerved, etc, no reason to brake. I wasn't riding in the back, we were rotating. The guy I yelled at pulled out of the pace line and on his way back apologized for not paying attention. I wasn't the only guy who chewed him out, we were inches from a huge pileup because of his actions.
    Well, still...

    When you come upon an erratic or dangerous rider it's safer to ride right past him/her and get on with your own day. It sounds like this guy was not used to riding with others. It's not very difficult to pick these types out and just not put yourself in a position where you must depend on their bike handling skills. Give them a safe margin as you pass...Getting taken down by a sloppy rider because you are drafting him...that would be quite embarrassing and perhaps painful..

    That is one reason I'd rather not do an organized ride like that...You could do the same ride the next day or the day before and not put yourself in the sometimes stressful position of having to avoid thousands of unknown bikers and possibly sketchy riders as you also avoid the vehicles..

    BTW...the Deschutes River TT festival is coming up soon, Mr. Bill...(hee hee)

    Don Hanson

  12. #37
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly 928
    That is one reason I'd rather not do an organized ride like that...You could do the same ride the next day or the day before and not put yourself in the sometimes stressful position of having to avoid thousands of unknown bikers and possibly sketchy riders as you also avoid the vehicles..

    BTW...the Deschutes River TT festival is coming up soon, Mr. Bill...(hee hee)

    Don Hanson
    I did the Flying Wheels Century to do pack riding before the STP. I used to race quite a bit but it had been years since I had been in a pack. The other centuries I did last year were very hilly so there wasn't much pack riding. FW century only has two real climbs with lots of flats in between.

    STP was nice after the first 50 miles when I settled into a group for the next 90 or so miles. We had a nice rotation and everyone did their fair share. The first 25 miles was pure mayhem.
    Retired sailor

  13. #38
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Bump. It's that time of year.


    I'm registered but it's looking iffy because of work. I think my fitness will be ok, but I may not have the time off. I'm going to hold out as long as possible to see what happens. Two weeks out I will make my decision.
    Retired sailor

  14. #39
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Bump again, the STP threads are starting to pop up.
    Retired sailor

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for bumping this and bringing it back top! I'm from Cali and will be doing my first STP this July. Great info here no matter how old the post!

  16. #41
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    It's getting that time of year, here's a bump.
    Retired sailor

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1

    STP primer

    Are you guys doing any training rides around 175-200 miles to prep for the whole distance in one day? Planning on doing a century before the race and commute to work (8 miles round trip) , but I feel like I should be doing at least 100-150 training rides prior to the event.

    Thanks

  18. #43
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by j-pac View Post
    Are you guys doing any training rides around 175-200 miles to prep for the whole distance in one day? Planning on doing a century before the race and commute to work (8 miles round trip) , but I feel like I should be doing at least 100-150 training rides prior to the event.

    Thanks
    There's no reason to do double centuries to prepare for a double century. Do some century rides, get used to riding in a pack, and get as much saddle time as you can. As a course, STP is not that tough. There is a climb near Puyallup that is kind of taxing but it's only 40 or so miles in and there's rest stop right after it. Other than that, there are some rolling hill sections but nothing tough.
    Retired sailor

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24
    bigbill: thanks for putting this together, it's super helpful. I'm doing my first STP this July (one-day rider), and I had a question--is it possible to do the ride off of one charge on the Garmin?

    I have a garmin 810, and I'm curious whether people have issues with battery life.
    2013 S-Works Tarmac SL4
    2005 Trek 1200

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ChilliConCarnage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    835
    I've ridden it with a Garmin 305 and 705. The 305 wouldn't last, and the 705 only lasted with an auxiliary battery hooked up. I don't know about an 810.

    I think I've done STP something like 6 times. I don't plan on doing it anytime again, but I probably will at some point.

    My best advice in preparing for it: ride your bike. a lot. then ride some more.

    The more you ride, the more prepared you'll be.

    Oh, and one more thing: forget about using the rest stop bathrooms. The lines are ridiculously long, particularly if you get a late start or have anything that slows you down. If you have to pee, then find a McDonalds or the like. In fact, I don't like to rely on the official STP rest stops, food, or anything else. I like to bring my own food and tools and am for all intents and purposes be completely self-sufficient if at all possible. I have stopped at the rest-stops in the past, but they are just so crowded and they just slow you down.

    That is all.
    Last edited by ChilliConCarnage; 03-26-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Specialized Roubaix Disc / Look 585 / Look 555 / Kona Kapu / Spec Carbon Camber 29er 1x11 / Surly Straggler / Fuji CX / Steel SS

    Over 60 bikes owned over the last 20 years!

  21. #46
    Big is relative
    Reputation: bigbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenc967 View Post
    bigbill: thanks for putting this together, it's super helpful. I'm doing my first STP this July (one-day rider), and I had a question--is it possible to do the ride off of one charge on the Garmin?

    I have a garmin 810, and I'm curious whether people have issues with battery life.
    An 810 should make a one day ride on a single charge. If you're concerned you can do what I did in 2008 with my old 305 (I use an 800 now). I used a mini-usb charger that used two AAA batteries taped under my handlebars. It was plugged in the whole time (10 hours) and my Garmin indicated "charging" for the entire ride. When I unplugged it, my garmin was fully charged. 810's claim something like 15 hours for their battery, should be enough for a decent 12 hour double century.
    Retired sailor

  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: choppedsled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    106
    I did a 1 day STP last year with a 510 Garmin. Plenty of juice for the 11 1/2 hr rolling time, total was like 13 with all the bs'n I did. I had a USB backup but only needed it for my iphone.

    This primer thread by bigbill played a huge part in my success last year. Tons of helpfull info. Especially skipping the first stop at REI, just keep on rolling...

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedsled View Post
    Especially skipping the first stop at REI, just keep on rolling...
    That was certainly true last year. That stop was a complete madhouse.

  24. #49
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: choppedsled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    106
    Only 3 weeks away, a few century's under the belt, and I'm ready for the mayhem. Who's in?

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    12
    I used a Garmin 510 last year (2013). No need for auxillar battery pack...it lasted 15 hours with stops. Will use again thi year.

    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenc967 View Post
    bigbill: thanks for putting this together, it's super helpful. I'm doing my first STP this July (one-day rider), and I had a question--is it possible to do the ride off of one charge on the Garmin?

    I have a garmin 810, and I'm curious whether people have issues with battery life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.