Another fake - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another fake

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Cable guides? Just trying to learn how to spot them.

Excuses are for the weak.
    The cable guides, as with any frame that incorporates internal cabling, (usually on the top tube and down tube, but not excluding the chain stay for Di2 frames) are basically short pieces of spaghetti tubing, allowing the inner wired cable to be ran through the frame. Manufacturers insert these during the build and they usually have some tape on each end to stop them accidentally coming out.
    Trying to get the inner cable through a frame without these can be like pulling teeth - painstaking work.

So, hence Cinelli's remarks. I'd be pissed too if they weren't in there, but any credible LBS should manage to overcome this problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Give the seller heck for pulling the top tube cable guide out.

New frames ship with a plastic tube to guide the brake cable. When you remove your cable for whatever reason, thread the tube onto the cable and through the top tube before removing it. It will make replacing it a LOT easier.

Very nice looking frame set!
    Thanks for the comment.

The cable guide did come inside the frame. I just removed it when I was cleaning and applying clear protectants. I find it easy to insert it back in because those guides are semi rigid and it just takes a few pokes and it's through. Just have to make sure the guide is curve like the frame before you insert.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    here we go again...

Every Frame has the LIFE INSURANCE. Make your sagacity choose!!!

Pinarello Dogma 2012 aero, red, black, carbon bike frame + fork + clamp+seatpost

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    The bike came in. What do you think..real or fake?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry to inform you, that frame is NOT real...
    It never gets easier - you just go faster
    2007 Look 585

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Thanks...I won't buy it. How could you tell?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    He claims it's from Italy and gave me these serial numbers: P4851813428722412

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eo1bart View Post
    I have been studying the diff btwn the real and fakes and I think you have a fake.

From what I can tell from your photos,

1) for Dogma2 the transition between the downtube and the fork is not right. For a Dogma2 that looks like the 2010-11 Dogmas.

2) the bottom bracket cable guide is generic, not the triangular MOst guide. However, this could be switched out.

3) there is no serial number on the bottom, near the bottom cable guide.

This is what I can tell, having just bought a 2011 Dogma.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Most of the Dogma2s follow the same pattern for colors. Pina has all the color schemes on their site.
    eo1's frame does not look like any of them. Pretty damning evidence right there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336453698.530016.jpgDerek is right. The aero fork on the Dogma2 is different - the one in your photos appears to look like the 2010-2011 model.
    The seat post clamp should read 'DOGMA'; the headset cover should be labelled 'Pinarello'; the cable guides under the BB should be MOST and the serial number you stated is not legit.
    2007 Look 585

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    ok thanks guys..I'm won't buy it, and also I'm going to report him to Pinarello USA (Gita)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzzy004 View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336453698.530016.jpgDerek is right. The aero fork on the Dogma2 is different - the one in your photos appears to look like the 2010-2011 model.
    The seat post clamp should read 'DOGMA'; the headset cover should be labelled 'Pinarello'; the cable guides under the BB should be MOST and the serial number you stated is not legit.
    Dogma 2 seatpost
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member

What do you mean "the bike came in"

Quote Originally Posted by eo1bart View Post
    What do you mean "the bike came in" Came in from where? Please...only order from a legitimate distributor. You must have a pinarello dealer in your area, or a shop that can order from Gita, a distributor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bikie View Post
    What do you mean "the bike came in" Came in from where? Please...only order from a legitimate distributor. You must have a pinarello dealer in your area, or a shop that can order from Gita, a distributor.
    I was looking for a used Pinarello last month on Craigslist, when I saw the add for the new Dogma2 frame for $2,000.00. I called the guy and he said that it was sold but he had a "friend at the factory" in Italy and that he was getting a couple more frames within two weeks. I was suspicious after reading about counterfeit Pinarello's, so I asked him to send me some photos when the frame came in.
    I sent an email to Gita bikes this morning with the info on the guy. Name, address, phone number etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Fakes are easily spotted as the Chinese counterfeiters have been unable thus far to replicate the 2012 Pinarello fork and the transition between the bottom of the steerer tube and the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    the give away should be the price. A $5500 Dogma costs the dealer a lot more than $2k. Also, even if it is new zero warranty unless it comes from an authorized dealer. I bet these are the same chinarellos that have been going around but with a much better paint job. It did seem that the link to the one on Ebay did have the triangular seat post but the fork is a giveaway for sure. Does the frame pictured above actually have asymetrics in the frame?
    Bart Stetler
    QueenCity Bicycles
    1408-A East Blvd
    Charlotte NC 28203
    704-522-7006
    www.queencitybicycles.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    this thing still sold for $2600! quite a premium for a greatkeen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

Thumbs down

Ripping off customers like that disgusts me. The seller basically stole a couple of thousand dollars from someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Ripping off customers like that disgusts me. The seller basically stole a couple of thousand dollars from someone.
    I totally agree with you!! I just contacted Ebay customer service and ask them to please contact the buyer about the counterfeit frame he just bought. Hopefully, Paypal can freeze the transaction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Actually if the buyer somehow realized that it is counterfeit that could be a good thing. I believe eBay-PayPal buyer protection would cover it. In the listing the item is presented as a Pinarello with no obvious disclaimers, and in fact tells the viewer to "look up geometry and other mumbo-jumbo on the pinarello site."

Buyer would have to report and file a dispute as a counterfeit. It would be fairly easy to get confirmation of (non)authenticity from Gita or an authorized distributor/LBS.

Google PayPal violin on how they can in fact be overzealous about counterfeits. Use the eBay-PP system back at the scammers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    another fake seller

eBay My World: cyclistrock

Have a look at this fu$kstick trying to off load a fake Dogma2! I have reported the wanker to eBay, but don't expect them to do much about it. Any others that have been reported don't seem to get their ad pulled. If anyone pays that for a Chinese copy, they've got rocks in their head!

Pinarello Dogma 2 Frameset - Size 56cm - Brand New | eBay
    2007 Look 585

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    That is shocking^

Not only is the frame obviously fake, he lies about getting it from Primera and posts a bogus receipt!!!

At least he put his name and address in the ad so you know where to serve him with a fraud claim.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast