Beware Fake Pinarello Bikes - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    banned
    Apr 2011
    Wow, you almost made me feel bad for the poor, exploited United States. Are you out of your Fu cking mind? We have and continue to rape the world of goods and labor. We use 80% of the worlds resources, 80%! and your crying over the Chinese selling counterfeit goods? Get a clue. Seriously.

banned
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles
    Some people need to chill here. Torayca Industry supply a lot of people, don't get a boner over "omg its got Torayca carbon fiber", please, gimme a break.

T-700 weave carbon fiber used in bicycle is made by a lot of companies, namely SK Chemical's Sky Flex, Torayca, Mitsubishi Rayon, Formosa Plastics, etc. The things carbon fiber weave manufacturer have in common? They specialize in chemical and plastic products.

Designs for these bikes gets thrown all over the place. Engineers who worked for, say, a Pinarello contractor in Taiwan may head over to the mainland and bring their ideas with them, at the same time, bypass exclusivity agreement. Another company can also pick up the design and run away with it. Brand companies would love to clamp down on 3rd party products, but that's just unrealistic.

At the end of the day, you all have a hard-on for branding and "prestige", which is mainly built up by marketing and subversive psychology, like "Made in Italy" is better than anywhere else and is top-notch, never mind that the made-in labeling has been so diluted by companies these days it doesn't make sense anymore.

Let's use Pinarello as an example, an Italian brand, Japanese carbon fibre, Taiwanese/Chinese manufacturer, who knows what kind of paint it uses. Is it a made in Italy bike?

Good points. Thank you. And now I will support the hard work of the counterfeiter with no moral compunction

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiegoMontoya
    No, no, no. Pinarello only has exclusive rights to one type of Torayca carbon. There are many many types and a lot of manufacturers use them. Pina just has the rights to the 60 modulus grade, which is then weaved in a 1k pattern.

My Prince has a "Made in Italy" sticker above the BB. Happy to post a pic if anyone wants.
    Ok. I maybe wrong. The point that I'm trying to bring across is that counterfeiters can claim anything they deem fit. After all they are all fakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius
    What are you saying?! The nice counterfeiters would never lie!
    Haha...you bet....they will lie about almost everything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vladvm
    Fake is a fake. I ride my cheap chinarello, you ride your Asian made frame, people can't tell all is happy.
    Hmm....I wonder....what is the purpose of you riding your bike. If it is to show others what you are riding, then I get your point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it's time to chill.....the topic is getting heated up. If there's nobody buying counterfeits, there wouldn't even be counterfeiters in the first place. Counterfeiters exist because of a certain demand. So let's not called people by names. Everyone has a point of view. At the end of the day, what matter most is that you enjoy your ride. Instead of debating here endlessly, why not take our bikes out for a spin....I think its more fun

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    The title of this book says it all - "It's not about the bike". It's from some guy named Armstrong ;-)? I should probably read it one of these days. Hmmm...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arcustic
    Hmm....I wonder....what is the purpose of you riding your bike. If it is to show others what you are riding, then I get your point.
    to get from A to B like work, or visiting friends really fast in style and comfort.
    totally utilitarian, all year round except when the roads are not plowed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hargo
    Good points. Thank you. And now I will support the hard work of the counterfeiter with no moral compunction
    just make sure you do your research on which seller you buy from, there is a huge thread in the Road Frame forum on which sellers sells what model. There are also different prices so make sure you haggle down the price to get optimum value. and if you decide to build yourself, there are lots of enthusiast that can help you. good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    What makes you so sure that they use Torayca carbon?
    because that is what the manufacturer uses to produce these unpainted OEM frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At the end of the day, what matter most is that you enjoy your ride. Instead of debating here endlessly, why not take our bikes out for a spin....I think its more fun
    i agree

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiegoMontoya
    My Prince has a "Made in Italy" sticker above the BB. Happy to post a pic if anyone wants.
    mine says "Made in Canada"

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by hargo
    So you're a cheap, immoral failure of a human being. Well, it's good to know where everyone stands.

You're the one that has to live with your poor choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

The amount of rationalisation in this thread boggles my mind.

By the standards shown here, if Stephen King wrote a book, sold copies for $8.99, but then a counterfeiter copied the book and sold it for $3.99, that would be perfectly fine. S.K. doesn't deserve to be paid for his work. As long as you get his work for less money, all is right with the world.

I'm a big-picture kinda guy. I don't look at this as *just* people buying counterfeit bike frames. I see this as indicative of a complete degradation of societal ethics/morals/standards. Yes, there has always been counterfeiting. We have reached an unprecedented level now, though. Likewise, the consumer previously didn't know (usually) that the item was a counterfeit. It isn't so much the actual purchase of the counterfeit item that amazes and repulses me, it's the rationalisation used.

Actually, it's the same rationalisation used by bike shop customers discussing discounts and LBS pricing practices. The shop buys BikeA for $850. The shop (according to some people) should sell the bike for $850, or maybe $900. Who cares about the $35 in shipping to get the bike, the labour to assemble it, or the LBS owner actually making a living? As long as *YOU* get a good deal, that's all that matters, eh?

Too many people look at the *I* instead of the *we*.

(Disclaimer: No, I don't believe companies are saints or deserving of charity. I just believe in fairness, ethics, and honesty.)
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius
    (I just believe in fairness, ethics, and honesty.)
    Why of course you do, the world doesn't operate that way unfortunately.

banned
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    So you're a cheap, immoral failure of a human being. Well, it's good to know where everyone stands.

You're the one that has to live with your poor choices.
    oh brother. im sure you make sure that all the goods you purchase were not made by sweatshop labor. im sure you give a good chunk of money to help people in need. im sure you probably never really think about the effect your actions have on the rest of the world. fu cking hypocrite.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    LOL, man where is the perspective on this thread, we are still talking bicycle's here. I know I can never afford an exotic car, but I can afford an exotic bike.

I may have a new Pinarello Dogma, but I drive a Honda Civic. You cannot even get an entry level BMW for under 35k. Do you throw eggs at all the three series you see drive by?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345