Beware Fake Pinarello Bikes
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    merckxman
    Jan 2002

banned
    Apr 2010
    Man, are you late to the party.

likes shiny bikes
    Thanks merckxman, these fakes are becoming a real epidemic. They are all over ebay. I sell my old frames online quite a bit. More and more, I get people questing the authenticity of my Pinarello. They are easy to spot as they do not have internal brake cabling on the toptube. If you see a fake Pinarello on eBay, report it immediately.
    2012 Pinarello Dogma2 / SR11ti
    2010 Specialized SL3 S-Works / Red
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red
    2000 Pinarello Prince Team Banesto R10
    1997 Pinarello Vuelta Team Banesto / R10
    1994 Pinarello Stelvio / C-R8
    1989 Pinarello Montello / C-R6

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rhauft
    Thanks merckxman, these fakes are becoming a real epidemic. They are all over ebay. I sell my old frames online quite a bit. More and more, I get people questing the authenticity of my Pinarello. They are easy to spot as they do not have internal brake cabling on the toptube. If you see a fake Pinarello on eBay, report it immediately.
    The new ones do have the internal brake cabling. You can still spot them by looking at the bottom bracket. They don't have the metal piece there.

Still, lots of fraudsters out there. Most of the Chinese shops are pretty straightforward about the fact that they sell fakes. Other eBayers are not so upfront.

RoadBikeReview Member
    it's hard to tell the difference..

1. internal cable routing
    2. italian threading
    3. same geometry
    4. same weight
    5. same glitter paints
    6. great ride quality

except the price

I don't know if the material is inferior because not a lot of failure reported so far, plus the sellers are willing to replace immediately if there are defects. Buyers take the risk and get the benefits at a cheap price.

Here's an example http://cyclingyong.com/goods-480-Dep...56CM+58CM.html

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vladvm

2. italian threading
    3. same geometry
    4. same weight
    5. same glitter paints
    6. great ride quality

except the price

I don't know if the material is inferior because not a lot of failure reported so far, plus the sellers are willing to replace immediately if there are defects. Buyers take the risk and get the benefits at a cheap price.

How can you tell the ride quality is the same unless you have a real one? Plus, you can get all of the above without the "Pinarello" logo, so putting the Pinarello logo on there just screams poser. Who cares what it says if all you want is a great bike at a great price, right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiegoMontoya
    How can you tell the ride quality is the same unless you have a real one? Plus, you can get all of the above without the "Pinarello" logo, so putting the Pinarello logo on there just screams poser. Who cares what it says if all you want is a great bike at a great price, right?

Someone on the other thread has the real Prince and naked carbon, he could not tell the difference. Maybe they are the same? Who knows.

I agree personalizing the frame is better.

likes shiny bikes
    Someone on the other thread has the real Prince and naked carbon, he could not tell the difference. Maybe they are the same? Who knows.
    "Someone on the other thread" is jerking your chain.

I've got a bridge for sale here in San Francisco, its red and "like new"...
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red

RoadBikeReview Member
    "Someone on the other thread" is jerking your chain.
    maybe, who knows.

likes shiny bikes
    caveat emptor
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I just bought a Porsche GT3. Well it's a GT3 knockoff..

It looks just like the real thing and drives like a dream……Rumor has it, it’s made in the same plant as a real Porsche( BTW, this is a pedal car and I don't own it)

Just because they look same doesn't mean they are constructed the same......For some reason this concept is lost on so many...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

likes shiny bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I just bought a Porsche GT3. Well it's a GT3 knockoff..
    It looks just like the real thing and drives like a dream……Rumor has it, it’s made in the same plant as a real Porsche( BTW, this is a pedal car and I don't own it)
    Just because they look same doesn't mean they are constructed the same......For some reason this concept is lost on so many...
    Agreed, saw that "Porsche" test pedaled on Top Gear a while back. "driver" was covered in sweat after one 22min. lap. Very funny.
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    He would have been faster on a Pina, huh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008

Fake Pinarello

Yes... I'd feel real confident going 45 mph downhill on my fake Pinarello, equipped with $300 Chinese carbon wheels. (Well on second thought, I think I'll keep my Paris and Zipps.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rlafleur
    Yes... I'd feel real confident going 45 mph downhill on my fake Pinarello, equipped with $300 Chinese carbon wheels. (Well on second thought, I think I'll keep my Paris and Zipps.)
    Exactly.

It´s just a crime committed by these chinese, nothing else. The paintings look poor, you will recognize the difference at once.
    Last edited by steiger1; 04-04-2011 at 03:31 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

2. italian threading
    3. same geometry
    4. same weight
    5. same glitter paints
    6. great ride quality

except the price

Not hard at all.. If you look at the carbon weave, way off, glitter paint looks like a child painted it with lip gloss.. Decals are off too.. These are better Chinarello's but most are completely horrible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo269
    Not hard at all.. If you look at the carbon weave, way off, glitter paint looks like a child painted it with lip gloss.. Decals are off too.. These are better Chinarello's but most are completely horrible.
    I think people not familiar with Pinarello paint scheme will have a hard time telling a fake from the real one.

likes shiny bikes
    I think people not familiar with Pinarello paint scheme will have a hard time telling a fake from the real one.
    Sounds to me like the only person having a hard time telling a fake from a real one is you.

They're making some really good fake Rolexs too. I've also read that the Chinese are making fake BMWs that look exactly like the real thing.
    Might as well grab one of those while you're at it.

Here's the thing. They are worthless fakes, not worth a dime. If you were to try and sell your 2nd hand knock-off, what do you think you'd get for it?
    Exactly what its worth - which aint much.

Also, whenever I discover someone is sporting a fake watch/jewelry/bike/car/breasts, I automatically assume that all the rest of their BS is just as fake and full of $hit.
    But hey, to each their own, enjoy your fake lifestyle.
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red

RoadBikeReview Member
    These threads always make me laugh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds to me like the only person having a hard time telling a fake from a real one is you.

They're making some really good fake Rolexs too. I've also read that the Chinese are making fake BMWs that look exactly like the real thing.
    Might as well grab one of those while you're at it.

Here's the thing. They are worthless fakes, not worth a dime. If you were to try and sell your 2nd hand knock-off, what do you think you'd get for it?
    Exactly what its worth - which aint much.

Also, whenever I discover someone is sporting a fake watch/jewelry/bike/car/breasts, I automatically assume that all the rest of their BS is just as fake and full of $hit.
    But hey, to each their own, enjoy your fake lifestyle.
    +1 on fake chinarellos and fake breasts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Actually, there are a few out there that are incredibly convincing copies. I purchased one that was promised to be a Prince and it looked the part but there were some VERY subtle differences that got my attention, and when the frame came the biggest thing for me was the lack of a serial number.

Took it into my dealer and they agreed that the paint quality was incredible and the graphics were spot on, but Pinarello would never let a frame leave their factory without a serial number, and there were some subtle but definite differences in the bottom bracket. I was able to get my money back but the seller swears up and down that it was legitimate even after I laid out the case and differences to him.

There are some awful copies out there, and there are some great ones. I have owned 3 Pina's and I wasn't certain until I could do a side by side comparison. Unless you buy from an authorized dealer, buyer beware!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my opinion, copying a particular product is pretty easy given today's technology.

Buying a fake designer watch and it doesn't work the same as the original, the most throw it a way or put it aside.

However, buying a carbon frame is an entire different story. Those fakes are produced to get quick bucks. They maybe successful in following the shape, design and colour. What is difficult is the material used, the stiffness and thickness at different part of the frame, the treatment to mold the frame, etc. Especially with Torayca carbon which Pinarello has the exclusive rights to use. Without proper R&D, we never know when the frame may give way during the ride. And this can be a matter of life and death...especially when going down hills.

That alone, will deter me from getting a fake. Buy what I could afford and enjoy it
    Last edited by arcustic; 04-08-2011 at 02:33 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbthaut
    Actually, there are a few out there that are incredibly convincing copies. I purchased one that was promised to be a Prince and it looked the part but there were some VERY subtle differences that got my attention, and when the frame came the biggest thing for me was the lack of a serial number.

Took it into my dealer and they agreed that the paint quality was incredible and the graphics were spot on, but Pinarello would never let a frame leave their factory without a serial number, and there were some subtle but definite differences in the bottom bracket. I was able to get my money back but the seller swears up and down that it was legitimate even after I laid out the case and differences to him.

There are some awful copies out there, and there are some great ones. I have owned 3 Pina's and I wasn't certain until I could do a side by side comparison. Unless you buy from an authorized dealer, buyer beware!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbthaut
    You should have bought direct from Taiwan., italian thread and made of toray carbon and that is where FP3's/FP7's/Prince/Paris are made not from USA which are clearly fake.

banned
    Apr 2010
    You should have bought direct from Taiwan., italian thread and made of toray carbon and that is where FP3's/FP7's/Prince/Paris are made not from USA which are clearly fake.
    The fakes are not from Taiwan, they're from China. I know you're happy with your fake, but don't lie about it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast