Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Dogma f8 - ride review

40K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  Cinelli 82220 
#1 ·
So I got my Dogma F8 built up today (with Dura Ace DI2) and went for an initial spin.

Upfront Disclosure... As a lifelong Pinarello fan, take my review with a grain of salt :)

First off, I've owned a Pinarello F2, F3, original Prince, most recent Prince, Dogma, Dogma 2, and now currently own a Dogma 65.1 Think2 along with the new F8, and a Scott Foil Premium.

I'm going to do a far more detailed review once I've done more rides, on more terrain, and on several different wheels, but here's my initial notes:

- My 54cm bike fully built with Dura Ace Di2, speedplay Zero pedals, and my Campy Hyperon Tubulars weighed only 14.10 lbs. When I also tested with my handbuilt HED Belgium Tubulars with Campy Hubs laced 32 3-cross, it weighed 15.20 (from what I recall). Either way, the bike is light.

- My initial reaction when I started riding it was... "holy crap, this is fantastic". The geometry feels exactly like my Think2, but the F8 is way more of a race feeling bike. The mechanic who built the bike and did the initial test ride commented... "damn, this thing is seriously nice".

- Cornering was simply great. You can really blast into a corner with total confidence. There's no slipping feeling or sensation. It completely grips the corner flawlessly.

- It's NOT a harsh ride at all. I thought it would be much more than it is. That said, it's not as forgiving as any of the other Dogma's I've had, but very comfortable nonetheless. I'd have no concerns doing a long ride on it. In fact, this weekend I'll do a 3 hour test ride one day and a 4 the next just to see what it's like on a long ride.

All in all, the bike is exceeding my expectations so far. It's downright great (IMHO).

Sincerely,

A self admitted Pinarello fan

See less See more
#4 ·
let us know what specifically feels better for the 65.1 and for the F8. are they on a 2 year cycle? I sure would hate to semi retire my 65.1 and get a F8 then lust after the F9 two years from now!

#9 ·
Probably going to have to wait. Our shop got in our frames yesterday but only one color was available to us. We were told we would have to wait until probably August or September at least to get other colors. We do have one myway on order already though, mainly white. Hopefully I'm there when it arrives so I can take some pics of it.

#16 ·
Great bike that is growing on me. I love my 65.1 because it is so Italian. The F8 looks sexy and fast, but different. I love the fork but I am not fond off the seatstays. I looks too much like a BMC.
Good luck with your F8! :thumbsup:

#17 ·
I am waiting to see the other colors...mine has a shiny coat over the carbon weave and looks slightly too flashy ...and I love it. Hate to get the current colorway (which looks great is maybe less italian) only to lust after the other red/black version when it is released later this year.

#21 ·
can anyone compare the 65.1 to the f8...specifically does the f8 feel as solid? is it as smooth? when i bought the 65.1 I wanted a cervelo R5 but it felt brittle. I don't think I would want the F8 unless it felt just as smooth stiff and solid. I could never break the R5 but it felt Like I could.

#25 ·
A couple of bikes at the Tour have direct mounts front and back.
By "back" I mean on the seat stays where regular brakes go.
Pinarello probably did not want to do direct mount because only Shimano had direct mount when F8 was launched. Campagnolo have now copied the Shimano design so Pinarello may have direct mounts soon.

#33 ·
That's because Shimano invented the direct mount brake. Trek was the first company to adopt the technology, Pinarello is slow to the game. It's a fairly new technology and requires quite a bit of retooling and re-design for bike companies.

Similar to when Shimano invented the front derailleur or the rear derailleur. It takes time for companies to adopt the technology, fabricate and tool for it.

Trek bikes professionally are primarily not Shimano bikes, only one of their teams rides Shimano. So saying that Pina won't make a direct mount frame just because there isn't brakes yet from SRAM or Campy is nonsense if you ask me. I think Pina is just slow to the game and were already too far along with their 2015 lineup designs when the direct brake thing hit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.