My new Pinarello Paris - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Nicole,

How are you cleaning it? I just got mine and am curious about the cleaning. Gloss finish is nice and easy to get clean not sure about the matte finish though. I know you mentioned it above but what are your real world experiences?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sd5500 View Post
    Thank you for your honest opinion. I'm pretty sure this is the way I'll have to go, if I go with the Paris. Configuring/building up the frame set with SRAM Red and remaining components, has me at like $6800 without Wheels. Just doesn't seem to make sense. How do you like the handlebars? They seem a little wide on the tops? Do they have internal cable routing?
    That's the same analysis I went through before deciding the package deal was too good to pass up, even if not all the parts were exactly my choice.

The handlebars are fine. Unremarkable, I guess. I'm coming from the 1" plain Cinelli bars on my 1974 Paramount so to me, anything modern with more of a flat area for your palms is more comfortable, as is the shorter drop. With the tape on there, I have to go by feel, but it doesn't feel like the cables are internally routed; I think the tape is just wrapped over them. If I had picked parts, I'd have gotten a Cinelli Neo Morphe. Maybe I'll do that when the bar tape gets ratty and it has to be redone anyway.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsey View Post
    How are you cleaning it? I just got mine and am curious about the cleaning. Gloss finish is nice and easy to get clean not sure about the matte finish though. I know you mentioned it above but what are your real world experiences?
    Congrats on getting your bike! You got it before Easter. Good for you! I hope you're enjoying it.

Cleaning is easy. Just no wax. To get one little spot, I'll use a little 409 on a paper towel. Washing it is just any other bike: I use the Park chain cleaner and some Pedros Oranj Peelz on the chain and a toothbrush and a little more degreaser on any grease spots and a sponge and bucket of water with some car wash detergent for everything else. Rinse with the hose, blow off most the water with my air compressor, finish wiping it down with towel and the relube the chain.

I did look and there are some sealants in place of wax that can be used on matte paints but I have not bothered with them. It doesn't look to me like it's needed on this finish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I kinda hate the I can't research these MOst parts.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sd5500 View Post
    I kinda hate the I can't research these MOst parts.
    I understand. The way I looked at it, the most important component choices were the group and the wheels. Saddle and handlebars are $100 items, so if they're terrible (and I thought the saddle was), I don't feel too exposed thinking I may have them eBay them later -- or more likely, end up as one more dust collector in the basement.

In my case, I got EXACTLY the group I wanted. I LOVE my Campy Chorus (though I still need to address a possible adjustment issue that's causing me to still have to click back to trim occasionally.) And while the wheels weren't the ones I'd have chosen -- I'd have gone with the Shamal Ultra 2-ways -- there was just nothing wrong with the Fulcrums. The differences were meaningless considering the cost savings. That package price made them about as close to being free Campy wheels as you could get without them actually being free and saying Campagnolo on the sides.

Anphaque II
    Very nice set up!

Well thought out and very nice groupset!
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Hamilton View Post
    I understand. The way I looked at it, the most important component choices were the group and the wheels. Saddle and handlebars are $100 items, so if they're terrible (and I thought the saddle was), I don't feel too exposed thinking I may have them eBay them later -- or more likely, end up as one more dust collector in the basement.

In my case, I got EXACTLY the group I wanted. I LOVE my Campy Chorus (though I still need to address a possible adjustment issue that's causing me to still have to click back to trim occasionally.) And while the wheels weren't the ones I'd have chosen -- I'd have gone with the Shamal Ultra 2-ways -- there was just nothing wrong with the Fulcrums. The differences were meaningless considering the cost savings. That package price made them about as close to being free Campy wheels as you could get without them actually being free and saying Campagnolo on the sides.
    I agree totally. I can build it just the way I want it, but then I'm going without a $1200 set of wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Nice set up and great pic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Any news or new experiences regarding the cleansing of the matte white? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Nicole - How very gorgeous! I'm in Spokane, been pounding the pavement like an addict (yup that would be ALL OF US) on my delightful Scott CR-1 Team with a 105 group, for two years - 150 miles per week. But I have been wondering about Pinarellos...actually not wondering, mainly just wanting . Until three days ago. I won an auction for a used 2012 Paris frame (red.) I pick it up at UPS tomorrow. I was very impressed that you picked the Chorus build. I have not bought the gruppo yet, and was leaning towards Record. Might edit that wish, based on your experience -- please elaborate: how did the last summer go? Would you do Chorus again? Would you step up to Record if the $ difference were only $250? (I'm a mechanic and will self-build with a little help from the LBS guys.) What a super job of sharing all your gear and reasoning -- thanks very much! Cool Beemer too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sighclone View Post
    Would you do Chorus again? Would you step up to Record if the $ difference were only $250?
    Check out the thread in the components wrenching forum:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...rd-249154.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi Nicole, Excellent post and very descriptive with photos. Thank you for sharing your insight. I am looking for my second bike, and start to narrow down with Pinarello manufacture. Paris seem to be ideal choice more bang for your bucks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12