Pinarello F4:13 Disaster
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Pinarello F4:13 Disaster

F4:13 means: Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

My PINARELLO F4:13 BROKE and i'm looking for some answers. I'ts hard to accept this from a HIGH QUALITIY ITALIAN FRAME, if are Italian made!

A label into the head tube can be the weak point. But were the QUALITY CONTROL?
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/att...1&d=1231097369

I try the warranty, but they don't heard me. Specialized, Merdida, Trek offer a great warranty service, but PINARELLO....

The big teams frames are made in ITALY our TAIWAN?...
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    more info on this catasrophic failure? was it an accident? (wet condtions)

or what?

Chad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Compound fractures on carbon frames are usually a result of a crash. Hope you are ok and don't blame Pinarello for a weak warrenty. You bring a frame like that to Specialized or Trek and see if they would reimburse you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjjm36m3
    Compound fractures on carbon frames are usually a result of a crash. Hope you are ok and don't blame Pinarello for a weak warrenty. You bring a frame like that to Specialized or Trek and see if they would reimburse you.
    The question isn't warranty but security! I buy a high quality frame because i think they are secure! When the frame broke i didn't believe because was a stupid fall. And after i see the label into the head tube, it seems a manufacture failure, that can cost my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was racing and deviate a race accident, i didn't lost the control, i was estable but the front road lock, my body was back and made an handspike, the frame broke, and i fell!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arech
    The question isn't warranty but security! I buy a high quality frame because i think they are secure! When the frame broke i didn't believe because was a stupid fall. And after i see the label into the head tube, it seems a manufacture failure, that can cost my life!
    so your blaming the failure on the sticker on the inside of the tube?

and I can see that your first language isn't English but I had a hard time understanding your last post about the accident...

Chad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I was racing and deviate a race accident, i didn't lost the control, i was estable but the front road lock, my body was back and made an handspike, the frame broke, and i fell!
    Sorry I give up. I fail to understand what you are trying to claim even after reading your statement multiple times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjjm36m3
    Sorry I give up. I fail to understand what you are trying to claim even after reading your statement multiple times.
    The purpose isn't put multiples times.Sorry, I made a mistake!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz
    so your blaming the failure on the sticker on the inside of the tube?

and I can see that your first language isn't English but I had a hard time understanding your last post about the accident...Chad
    I'm just looking for answers, and the sticker did't appear like a failure. Sorry about my English

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    On the F4:13, is the tube shape constant on the top and down tubes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff_dee
    On the F4:13, is the tube shape constant on the top and down tubes?
    No, the frame broke at the thinner seccion!
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I cracked my Pinarello Team Telekom frame after 4 and a half years and Pinarello were fantastic. It was well out of warranty but Pinarello gave me a brand new F4:13 in any colour. I have had the frame for 2 years and it has been perfect. I am 90 plus kilos and have crashed it a couple of times and it is still perfect.

There is no way your frame just broke like that. I can understand Pinarello not coming to the party becuase I wouldnt if I was them either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Theirs NO WAY? You're saying he's lying?

thats bullsht and they should replace the bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dog
    I cracked my Pinarello Team Telekom frame after 4 and a half years and Pinarello were fantastic. It was well out of warranty but Pinarello gave me a brand new F4:13 in any colour. I have had the frame for 2 years and it has been perfect. I am 90 plus kilos and have crashed it a couple of times and it is still perfect.

There is no way your frame just broke like that. I can understand Pinarello not coming to the party becuase I wouldnt if I was them either.

My PINARELLO was bought in SPAIN, Madrid. The store that sold me made a great service, contact the distribuitor, etc...but, BELIEVE, they lost the fork, the seller was crazy, and me to...I believe that some noise at the chain service happened.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HBPUNK
    Theirs NO WAY? You're saying he's lying?
    Lying, not, but confuse yes...Seems that they have affraid to hear me...I'm very worried about safe, i dont need replacement to ride. I bought other, but not PINARELLO. I have one bike to race and another to train. My race bike was the F4:13, to train Galileo...But i lost the credit...Now i'll change...

It easy pressume something, i'm nothing, nobody for them. my word against Pinarello word, is nothing....They can say anything to protect their image...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    No idea whats going on here, apart form a broken F4:13.

Please could you answer with a YES or a NO. Did the frame break as a result of the accident or did it break and cause the accident? Many thanks and glad your ok!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    No way it just broke! Pinarello should NOT replace it.
    Hbpunk do you still believe in the tooth fairy?

collector of glass shards
    This is how I understand (interpret) your statement:

1) You were racing
    2) You avoided running into a crash ahead of you
    3) You locked the front wheel (brake)
    4) started to go over the handlebars
    5) the frame broke
    6) you crashed to the ground, frame already broken.

Correct?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sriajuda
    This is how I understand (interpret) your statement:

1) You were racing
    2) You avoided running into a crash ahead of you
    3) You locked the front wheel (brake)
    4) started to go over the handlebars
    5) the frame broke
    6) you crashed to the ground, frame already broken.

Correct?
    1) Yes;
    2) Yes,and i went out of the road, at a grass ramp;
    3) Yes;
    4) Yes, and the body went back to the seat to avoid to throw ahead;
    5) Yes;
    6) Yes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MERAKMAN
    No idea whats going on here, apart form a broken F4:13.

Please could you answer with a YES or a NO. Did the frame break as a result of the accident or did it break and cause the accident? Many thanks and glad your ok!
    NO, YES.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    1) Yes;
    2) Yes,and i went out of the road, at a grass ramp;
    3) Yes;
    4) Yes, and the body went back to the seat to avoid to throw ahead;
    5) Yes;
    6) Yes.

Thank you for that!
    Last edited by MERAKMAN; 06-17-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Well, one more report that reinforces my mistrust in composite materials. I come from the sailing scene, where carbon has been common for 20 years in racing, and I've seen way too many masts, booms, rudders, etc. break without apparent cause. I stick with metal, trusty steel!!, thank you very much.

And I do hate flying in modern aircraft, especially Airbus. No way I'd set foot on a A380, for that matter!

l'illustre sconosciuto
    This whole story is a crock. The OP admits that he was riding off the road when the frame broke. This is not a case of a catastrophic failure, but of a frame that was designed exclusively for road use effectively being used for a purpose that it was not designed for and failing when it was submitted to stresses that exceeded those that could be considered reasonable when used according to specs. All you need is some soft wet ground like that seen in the photo of the rider and the front wheel can decelerate from perhaps 40 mph to 0 mph in a matter of a second. I have seen that type of deceleration cause breakage of steel and aluminum too. This is the equivalent of crashing a bike into a brick wall.

This is one example of both builders and consumers wanting to push the weight envelope so far, to where there simply isn't enough material when you exceed the parameters set forth when the frame project was developed.

The sticker is likely used in the fiber lay-out phase and has absolutely nothing to do with the breakage.

Por ARECH, por favor escrever em portugues, entao é possivel compreender.

Quote Originally Posted by dnalsaam
    All you need is some soft wet ground like that seen in the photo of the rider and the front wheel can decelerate from perhaps 40 mph to 0 mph in a matter of a second. I have seen that type of deceleration cause breakage of steel and aluminum too. This is the equivalent of crashing a bike into a brick wall.
    Sorry, but that is moot. Crashing into a wall puts magnitudes more stress into a frame than going off the shoulder of a hard pavement. Any sort of hard deceleration on the front wheel simply throws off the rider; the remaining forces should never be enough to break or, in the case of a metal frame, even bend a frame.

As we can see in the picture, the front wheel and the fork both remain intact. It is quite absurd to have a frame that yields before these two inherently weaker components. Either the frame had some damage prior to the incident, or it was designed or built inadequately. Simple as that.

And, BTW, *steel* does not break in that way, never. It might bend, fold, or even tear, but it won't break into pieces.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnalsaam
    . All you need is some soft wet ground like that seen in the photo of the rider and the front wheel can decelerate from perhaps 40 mph to 0 mph in a matter of a second. I have seen that type of deceleration cause breakage of steel and aluminum too. This is the equivalent of crashing a bike into a brick wall.
    Por ARECH, por favor escrever em portugues, entao é possivel compreender.
    Thanks for your effort to understand me. But i was at 10 mph not at 40 mph!

Quando o acidente ocorreu eu estava a 16 Km/h e não a 63 Km/h. Como você pode observar eu não me machuquei quando caí, por sorte, na grama. Se eu estivesse a 40 mph quem teria se quebrado ao meio seria eu e não o quadro.

A questão é que o quadro deveria aguentar as forças pois o guidon (handlebar), avanço (stem), roda dianteira (front wheel) e garfo (fork) aguentaram. Já tive experiências semelhantes numa delas entortei garfo e roda mas o quadro aguentou (Eddy Merckx de aço)!

Obrigado, desculpe pelo péssimo ingles!
    Last edited by arech; 01-10-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast