Pinarello FP QUATTRO - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Quote Originally Posted by gabollini View Post
    Got the white mirror finish rival package (instead of the BoB). Very happy w/ the white/black/silver paint scheme. Sold and swapped a lot of stuff from the stock parts. Saddle was 1st to go; Arione in black/white. Wheels were 2nd; fulcrum 5's to DT Mon Chassaral in white; handlebars from MOst to FSA compact wing in white; Seatpost from MOst to Ritchey WCS wet white; FD from Rival to Force; stock Conti Ultra Sports to Torelli open tubulars (clinchers). Debating a switch from Most B-Force brakeset to SRAM Force, but not sure about any weight savings or stopping power difference. Could go either way on brakeset. Took about an 80 mile ride on the thing, a sweet and stable ride. Not as light as the super six hi mod I got rid of, but steers well and soaks up the bumps better. Wonder if Pinarello will ever go w/ BB30 setup. The standard crankset probably weighs this thing down pretty much.
    I'm a bit puzzled that you didn't go for frameset+parts instead of a complete bike. Any particular reason?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't see that the Quattro comes as a frame only in the US. I had this problem with my FP1 but was lucky enough to find a dealer with some EU imported bikes with Campy. Even so, I dumped the bar, post, and seat and changed the wheels and cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just purchased new Pinarello FPQuattro in white with Ultegra components. In the US, one can only buy a complete bike with Fulcrum wheels. I chose to "upgrade" the seat and wheels, and the dealer was kind enough to deduct those costs from the price. Out the door, I paid around $5k. Went on a 20 mile ride this evening and am very pleased... 18.2 lbs is a bit heavy, but I ride bikes to workout rather than race...

I enjoyed this thread, and it helped me to pull the trigger on a purchase. Debated for months to buy the Dogma, but couldn't justify the price for my cycling needs...

-Blake
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    ^^^ Wow, that look sharp !! Congrats!

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Very elegant machine.

likes shiny bikes

Stunning!

enjoy!
    2012 Pinarello Dogma2 / SR11ti
    2010 Specialized SL3 S-Works / Red
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red
    2000 Pinarello Prince Team Banesto R10
    1997 Pinarello Vuelta Team Banesto / R10
    1994 Pinarello Stelvio / C-R8
    1989 Pinarello Montello / C-R6

met
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Nice bike there..............

campy 5311
    Nov 2005

Nice bike Park City!

Described Quattro earlier. Stuck w/ the SRAM Force brakeset and have pretty much got it the way I want it now except for the compact crankset. Yes, these bikes come only pre-built; I took the SRAM groupset and made a few alterations. The MOST components look nice and match, but area a bit heavy so moved to slightly lighter stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkCity View Post
    ... 18.2 lbs is a bit heavy.
    Pinarello is well know for not making the lightest bikes, they seem to prefer to use their technology for other things, like asymmetry. They also seem to make the most comfortable racing bikes around.

Beautiful color scheme! Very similar to my FP1.

campy 5311
    Nov 2005

Pinarello (including my new FP Quattro) comfortable race bikes

4 sure. This thing si a cadillac. Had a Prince SL (w/ carbon tail) up until about 6 months ago. Also owned a steel Asolo (about 15 years ago), and 2 all alu Galileo's (one of them didn't make it under the garage on my roof rack unfortunately). Compared to any of the other bike brands I've owned (lemonds, Giant, and plenty of Cannondales) the Pinarello brand has always had the most solid, stable, and comfy ride, regardless of material. Great geometry and great construction. I think what Pinarello may give up in weight is overcome in that nice ride, technology, and a stiff bb area that moves the power to the ground very well. Just love them on the descents as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the kind words everyone...

Gabillini - I like your list of bikes! The SRAM FPQ looks cool as well. Nicely set-up!

I did find on my ride yesterday that the bike is quite "complaint" - quicker out of the saddle, smooth over rough roads, and generally speedy. Couldn;t be happier with the purchase... Thanks again for this forum!

-Blake

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

the importance of bottle cages...

Nice bikes! I still love my black on black, though. Although those fizik ariane saddles do look good, so maybe one of those would be in the cards in the not to distant future. What I clearly need to to is some serious upgrading of my bottle holders. Looking at the pictures above, I suddenly realized that this element is actually important, and me with this beautiful FPQ and the bottle holders don't even match. Suddenly my bike is an embarrasment So that's clearly the first upgrade right there...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by islero View Post
    Nice bikes! I still love my black on black, though. Although those fizik ariane saddles do look good, so maybe one of those would be in the cards in the not to distant future. What I clearly need to to is some serious upgrading of my bottle holders. Looking at the pictures above, I suddenly realized that this element is actually important, and me with this beautiful FPQ and the bottle holders don't even match. Suddenly my bike is an embarrasment So that's clearly the first upgrade right there...
    Regarding the saddles, I chose based on fit as opposed to looks. I found a cool saddle with carbon fiber that looked killer but -um - hurt ;)

And regarding the bottle cages, it is hard to tell in the picture posted but I went with a carbon fiber look from Blackburn ($39). They also make a two-toned version with carbon fiber on the inside, and glossy white paint on the outside. I spent a good 15 minutes trying to decide which one, and chose the all-carbon fiber because it accentuated the CF on the wheels and on the top tube of the FPQ4.

I am not a big bike guy as tracking cars and skiing are my top two hobbies - but I was cracking up as a group of guys at THE guru road bike shop in Salt lake City gathered around to help me accessorize the Pinarello... It was very cool, and their advice focused around looking good but being practical. Great guys, and now I am hooked on this road bike thing....

Damn - another hobby! It's all good though... Just got back from another ride this morning and feel great....

-Blake ;)
    Last edited by ParkCity; 06-13-2011 at 06:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by islero View Post
    ... What I clearly need to to is some serious upgrading of my bottle holders. Looking at the pictures above....
    These are hardly sexy or carbon, but I have them on all my bikes and the white/black version looks perfect on my FP1.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    [QUOTE=ParkCity;3397406]Regarding the saddles, I chose based on fit as opposed to looks. I found a cool saddle with carbon fiber that looked killer but -um - hurt ;)

Yep, would agree that should be the reason for buying a new saddle, but from what I've heard and read (not tried one so would have to base it on that), the arione is about the most comfortable saddle out there.

My "came with the bike" MOst Ocelot is not as bad (at least I haven't had problems yet) as it's made out to be by others, but anything to add comfort on the long rides would be worth it. I believe a decent set of wheel is higher on my to-do list than a saddle (and, obviously, those bottle cages)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

my new pin

Just got a new Pinarello quattro with Campy Athena and was wondering if it makes sense to move to chorus or record? I'm a shimano guy but I liked the thumb shifter so I wanted to switch. but I'm having trouble finding my sweet spot gear. an suggestions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Hey guys,

In the market for a bike and started with a mid 2k budget. After doing some research and looking at a few bikes, the budget has "mysteriously" gone up to the mid 3ks.

Since now i'm considering bikes in this price range, the Quattro comes into the picture. I know this is the Pinarello forum and there will be some bias, but have any of you guys compared the Quattro vs. Cervelo R3/RS vs. Wilier Gran Turismo? If so, what are you thoughts?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Quote Originally Posted by netman68 View Post
    Just got a new Pinarello quattro with Campy Athena and was wondering if it makes sense to move to chorus or record? I'm a shimano guy but I liked the thumb shifter so I wanted to switch. but I'm having trouble finding my sweet spot gear. an suggestions?
    Going from Athena (Powershift) to Chorus (Ultrashift) Ergolevers (Shimano folks call 'em brifters, but that's them...) is a real upgrade. Chorus gives trim options on the front and 5 up instead of only 1 up in the back.

Finding the sweet spot: What crankset/cassette teeth do you have now and what did you have before?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Going from Athena (Powershift) to Chorus (Ultrashift) Ergolevers (Shimano folks call 'em brifters, but that's them...) is a real upgrade. Chorus gives trim options on the front and 5 up instead of only 1 up in the back.

Finding the sweet spot: What crankset/cassette teeth do you have now and what did you have before?
    Actually I just got the campy Record crankset 39/53 my LBS didn't have the chorus crank. they gave me a great buy back on the 2 week old athena compact crank. I feel better on it I'm a lot closer to that sweat spot. I like what you said about the chorus shifters i think i will up grade to that next although I'm sure I'll have to upgrade all the way to the Record
    I used to ride Shimano 105.

My FP is BOB which I like but after seeing the Bikes on this thread mines looking a bit plain I'll post pics asap

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nice but I like more color thats the reason for the red tape and bottle cages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I think that when one buys bikes in the price-range and category we're talking here it's fairly difficult to get it all wrong these days. Most bikes in the categroy are pretty good. Before ending up with my Quattro - based on the very scientific method of seeing one in a shop and falling for it - I was pondering options for about half a year (October-March, the winter season). The bikes you mention were on my list, as was Specialized Roubaix (liked the idea of comfort), Scott (CR1 and Addict), Orbea (Onix and Orca), Trek Madone (can't remember which of them) etc. etc. And after a lot of looking, and a little bit of trying, it all came down to the "ooh I like that one with the black colour scheme and the wavy fork).

That said, I now have over 1500 km on the thing (since mid April) and love it to bits. I haven't changed or upgraded anything yet, but will probably do something with the saddle, wheels and... ahem... bottle cages in the not to distant future. Thing is I prefer to just take the thing out and ride it than to spend time in bikeshops pondering equipment. In sum, the bike is fast (or at least faster than anything I've had before), quick to respond when accelerating. It's very stable, even in quite heavy wind - gives a lot of confidence when going fast downhill, it doesn't feel nervous at all. And, importantly, for the long rides at least, that wavy onda fork is not just a gimmick, it soaks up road buzz and makes the ride smooth and comfortable (or as comfortable as can be expected on 23mm tires with 8.5 psi of pressure in them).

So, definitely a biased Pinarello forum and fanboy view. But in sum - and that's the advise I got and in the end chose to follow - pick the one that makes your heart bit that little bit faster (after checking that it fits you, of course - in the end differences in geometry and ratios between crank to seat stem/seat stem to handlebars, and the way the cyclist is built (long/short legs, trunk, arms) defines what one is most comfortable on.

(mine is, by the way ultegra (compact) equipped - maybe not as sexy as campy, but it has performed without a hitch so far).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabollini View Post
    Described Quattro earlier. Stuck w/ the SRAM Force brakeset and have pretty much got it the way I want it now except for the compact crankset. Yes, these bikes come only pre-built; I took the SRAM groupset and made a few alterations. The MOST components look nice and match, but area a bit heavy so moved to slightly lighter stuff.
    I'm curious as to what rims those are. I usually don't see $4000 bikes with rims which have that high a spoke count.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    do you have any pic's I always like to see the colors people pick because i was so torn getting mine. also I should have stuck with ultegra since that's what I started on.campy is great just still getting used to it.

Bianchi-Campagnolo

gabollini's wheels

Quote Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
    I'm curious as to what rims those are. I usually don't see $4000 bikes with rims which have that high a spoke count.
    They are a wheel set: DT Swiss RR 1450 Mon Chasseral.

Similar to the Campagnolo Neutron Ultra, I'd say, but done with trad hubs and spokes.

Lovely and lively I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ah yes, DT Swiss. Now I thought the rims looked familiar.

I've heard great things about those. Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast