Pinarello Galileo 2006
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Pinarello Galileo 2006

Has anyone riden the 2006 Galileo ?
    I'm also trying to find the exact weight of the frame and fork.
    I don't know if it's a national security secret but I emailed the company twice and never got any reply.
    Thanks for your help

40dave

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Galileo

Thanks jeffrey
    By luck last night I came across a post in the «save some weight» forum that refered to CC.
    I did the built and compared it after with the Look 555.
    Frame and fork: Galileo 1735g and Look 1650g

40dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I think CC's weight calculator is a bit optimistic. If you go by it, a stock $2200, 2006 Gallileo with Ultegra and M.O.ST components weighs 16.96 lbs (SH550 wheels yet). I've seen the bike in stores and it's NOT that light. That's full carbon fiber frame territory, with pretty decent components.

Has anyone ever gotten a reply from the Pinarello website?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Answer from PINARELLO

Quote Originally Posted by Clevor
    I think CC's weight calculator is a bit optimistic. If you go by it, a stock $2200, 2006 Gallileo with Ultegra and M.O.ST components weighs 16.96 lbs (SH550 wheels yet). I've seen the bike in stores and it's NOT that light. That's full carbon fiber frame territory, with pretty decent components.

Has anyone ever gotten a reply from the Pinarello website?
    Yes I just got the reply from PINARELLO.
    They tell me that for a size 54, frame comes to 1490g and fork 460g.
    It's a 215g difference then what CC has.
    Knowing that, I think it is still possible to built a very decent bike.
    Galileo 2006 package on CC built with new PINARELLO numbers 8188g(18.05lbs)
    If I remove the Shimano components as I'm planning to do and go with the following
    mix of components: Chorus F&B derailleurs, Chorus Bcalipers cassette, chain & brake levers, FSA handlebars, seatpost and stem, SLR Selle italia saddle, Look Keo pedals
    ans Campagnolo Neutron wheels
    Total weight(with Pinarello numbers) obtained on CC : 7599g(16.75lbs).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 40dave
    Yes I just got the reply from PINARELLO.
    They tell me that for a size 54, frame comes to 1490g and fork 460g.
    It's a 215g difference then what CC has.
    Knowing that, I think it is still possible to built a very decent bike.
    Galileo 2006 package on CC built with new PINARELLO numbers 8188g(18.05lbs)
    If I remove the Shimano components as I'm planning to do and go with the following
    mix of components: Chorus F&B derailleurs, Chorus Bcalipers cassette, chain & brake levers, FSA handlebars, seatpost and stem, SLR Selle italia saddle, Look Keo pedals
    ans Campagnolo Neutron wheels
    Total weight(with Pinarello numbers) obtained on CC : 7599g(16.75lbs).
    That sounds about right. I have nearly the same build on my Look 585 (except that I have Eurus instead of Neutrons, and a Bontrager X-lite Post) and the weight comes out to 15.6 lbs w/cages. The Galileo should be right under 17lbs. It will be interesting to see how it rides-if it is smooth like a Marvel or rough like a Prince.

tod

Mar 2006
    I will let you know how it rides in a couple of weeks. I ordered one yesterday. Unfortunately, my size had to come from Gita, to Comp. Cyclist, then to me in AZ - hence the wait.

I can't believe the sixth largest metopolitan area in the U.S. does not have an authorized dealer. But, there is one in Tucson!?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Mines sitting in my living room waiting for the weekend for the first ride. Ill post pics and an overall impression this sunday night

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bbsmyle
    Mines sitting in my living room waiting for the weekend for the first ride. Ill post pics and an overall impression this sunday night
    Can you guys post the size and actual weight of your bikes, with the stock components?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Thanks bbsmyle

Very happy to hear that you've bought the 2006 Galileo.
    I'll be waiting anxiously to hear about your first test ride.
    I'm still very concern about the weight of this machine.
    As you probably read on one of my previous post, I got from Pinarello the weight of the frame and fork for a size 54 (without color) wich is supposed to be 1490+ 460 for the fork.
    Went to a bike shop last week and they had a blue model wich came out at exactly 20 pounds on a very precise scale.
    I still don't understand the huge difference of 2 pounds between the numbers on competitive cyclist and the live model.
    I need to order a size 58. Will I get a rock once the bike is build ?
    I would expect of a bike of that quality to be around 18 to 19 pounds.
    Maybe you could share with us the size and weight of your new baby if you can.
    Tell me guys am I getting crazy with this weight thing ?

Sep 2005
    One thing i noticed about cc's weight calculator is that they do not include cables or housings. That right there is some weight that isn't added in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I picked up a stock 58cm Ultegra today. The bike wasn't bad: I would say somewhere around 18.5lbs, maybe a smidge lighter (with pedals and cages). It is very ballpark for a bike in this price range (the Cannondale R5000 is about the lightest bike I have seen under $2500, and even that is over 17lbs w/cages and pedals). The R550 wheels aren't light, and the Pinarello cranks (they looked like FSA's to me) aren't the lightest either. The tires were 25's. Saddle, stem and bar looked on the heavy/cheap side too. I would say that if a CAAD8 is around 1200g, the Galileo will come in closer to 1450g: the tubing was noticeably thicker. Get some 1500g wheels on there, a lighter BB/crank combo, and already you would drop 550g or so. Replace the other mentioned parts, and maybe lose another 150g. That would get you right at 17lbs w/pedals: very respectable, consideriding the fairly heavy/thicker tubing. This bike was never meant to be a flyweight: it looks to me like a very solid, dependable, stiff, yet somewhat compliant race bike. The guy who owned it said it was very powerful out of the saddle, yet absorbed a fair amount of road noise on the few 2 and 3 hour rides he had been able to get on it. He was planning on using it as a training/crit bike this season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 40dave
    Very happy to hear that you've bought the 2006 Galileo.
    I'll be waiting anxiously to hear about your first test ride.
    I'm still very concern about the weight of this machine.
    As you probably read on one of my previous post, I got from Pinarello the weight of the frame and fork for a size 54 (without color) wich is supposed to be 1490+ 460 for the fork.
    Went to a bike shop last week and they had a blue model wich came out at exactly 20 pounds on a very precise scale.
    I still don't understand the huge difference of 2 pounds between the numbers on competitive cyclist and the live model.
    I need to order a size 58. Will I get a rock once the bike is build ?
    I would expect of a bike of that quality to be around 18 to 19 pounds.
    Maybe you could share with us the size and weight of your new baby if you can.
    Tell me guys am I getting crazy with this weight thing ?
    Keep in mind that Pinarello name is going to cost ya! Those funky fork legs too.

My Giant TCR Comp 1 cost about the same as list on a 2006 Galileo, around $2250 and comes with FSA Mega-EXO carbon crank, Mavic Elites, Fizik Aliante saddle, Easton EC50 bar, full carbon fiber stem/post, and full Ultegra/DuraAce rear. Hell, it even included Time Impact pedals. Bike weighs 17.3 with pedals, all four reflectors, pie plate, and a heavy CATEYE HRM/Speedometer. Full carbon fiber monocoque, of course.

The rap on the bike compared to a Pinarello or Colnago used to be: but it's made in Taiwan :-).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevor
    Keep in mind that Pinarello name is going to cost ya! Those funky fork legs too.

My Giant TCR Comp 1 cost about the same as list on a 2006 Galileo, around $2250 and comes with FSA Mega-EXO carbon crank, Mavic Elites, Fizik Aliante saddle, Easton EC50 bar, full carbon fiber stem/post, and full Ultegra/DuraAce rear. Hell, it even included Time Impact pedals. Bike weighs 17.3 with pedals, all four reflectors, pie plate, and a heavy CATEYE HRM/Speedometer. Full carbon fiber monocoque, of course.

The rap on the bike compared to a Pinarello or Colnago used to be: but it's made in Taiwan :-).
    You definitely have a point. Unfortunately, the Giant isn't available in many sizes, whereas the Pinarello has a bigger size run (I really love the fact that you can buy most of their bikes in at least 9 sizes, if not single-size increments). Giant is a line I would love to have: it compliments Pinarello very well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Well I took the bike out for a good 35 mile maiden voyage yesterday. First, let me state, I have upgraded many things on my galileo, size 58. Things I upgraded are as follows: changed seat to new selle italia slr 135g seat, cranks were changed to fsa mega exo carbon cranks with ultegra clipless pedals. Also, put a fsa 90mm stem with fsa kwing carbon bars. So all the MOst parts are gone. I also am coming form a speacialized allez sport so this bike is a step up. The verdict........I LOVE IT. Its a really comfy bike. It dampens the road way better then my previous bike did. Bumps that were teeth chattering on my spec were pretty smooth on the gal. The bike imho is also pretty stiff and im a big guy 6 ft 190. When under accelleration the bike just wants you to push down harder to go faster with no give in the bottom bracket. Im super happy with the purchase and dont regret it one bit. I will get some pics on here soon. Sorry no wieght, put i cant see my bike being over 19-20 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Very nice to hear from your first test ride.
    Hope you'll post the pictures of your baby soon.
    Did you go with the red-black model ?

tod

Mar 2006
    Uggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Backordered - til 4-21!

Gita does not have one my size in blue in the U.S.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tod
    Uggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Backordered - til 4-21!

Gita does not have one my size in blue in the U.S.

Why not try to get the black/white 105 equipped bike, then sell the parts and put your own parts on?

tod

Mar 2006
    Finally got my Gal, eight weeks to the day after it was ordered. I must say the pics don't do the blue justice. It is a gorgeous metallic color that is actually a little deeper than what the ads appear.

I've only had time to spin around a few blocks. But, I have already determined that the MOst seat is a torture device!

tod

Mar 2006
    Seat is already gone. Here is a photo in the "as delivered" state...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apr 2006

Got My Galileo Monday (5/08)

Tod.

Picked up my 2006 Galileo Monday, rode it 40 mainly flat miles Tuesday, about 45 today with my club, a ride that included 1 sustained climb and a bunch of rollers. A most impressive bike. Reasonably light, reasonably stiff, very nimble, stable on descents, comfortable. But best of all, as you say, absolutely GORGEOUS. The photos in the ads do not do it justice. The colors are rich and deep and wet-looking, the blue almost a candy apple blue. The bike almost shimmers and gleams. I switched out the wheelset for Ksyrium SSC SLs, but left everything else intact. Even the saddle, which I figured I'd have to replace immediately, is comfortable. I also have a Cinelli Supercorsa and a Bianchi EV2, my main bike. I'd probably say the Bianchi is a bit stiffer and faster bike, but the gap is not as wide as I expected. For $2,200 this Galileo is a near steal. I have Campy on my other bikes, but am impressed by the new Ultegra 10 on this baby; quick, flawless shifts and solid brakes. Just have to get used to the mouse ear not being there when i want to shift. Keep us posted on your experiences with this bike.

I'll try to post some photos later, but with a Mac, probably won't be able to.

tod

Mar 2006
    The seat may just be me. I'm 5'10" and weigh around 130 lbs. So, my butt is pretty boney. I have a Specialized Body Geometry Rival on my mtb. So, I sat on the "Butt-O-Meter" as they call it at the shop and got fitted for a Body Geometry Alias. Very comfy, for me. But, seats are personal item.

Glad to hear about the handling. Having been exclusively on a mountain bike for the last
    1.5 years, I kept turning off the INSIDE of corners when I took it out. I will definitely have to recalibrate the riding habits!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Thinking of purchasing a Galileo. I'm 6' 3" approx 260lbs. would this frame be to light for my weight and size. From my measurments I'd need a 62cm frame size. Any thoughts from anyone about the size and performance. My LBS told me that there are not many guys my size that ride these type of road bikes.. Need advise on my first high-end purchase.
    Last edited by tyjacks; 11-12-2006 at 08:41 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Hi tyjacks. I'm almost your same size (6'3, 220 summer-250 winter) If you can get yourself to a first class LBS, they might have the new Galileo in 62 or 60 for you to size up and take for a test ride. I'm lucky because in NYC my LBS is R&A, and I got to test ride a 60cm red/blk Galileo. Even the 60cm is a seriously big bike. The downtube is massive. I just kept thinking "Now this is a MANS bike". Even though I only took a 20 min test ride, I could tell that the frame was stiff and the sizing was on the bigger side. It's not as super stiff, or posses that frenetic racebike feeling of a CAAD7, but then again I could actually see myself riding a century on the Galileo (I wouldn't do that on my 'Dale). Light, it is not, there are a few cheapo bits on the bike, you can tell that that MOST crank is really heavy. On the other hand, I believe that the frame is upgrade worthy. Overall, it's a good, thick, big frame, and even though it's made in Taiwan, it still has all of the sexiness and allure of a real Pinarello.
    Besides, it's one of the few bikes that still comes with a traditional horizontal top tube. IMHO, big guys with long legs look stupid on compact frames (including me). If you don't agree with that, seriously look at the Orbea Orca. I rode my friends Orca, and I'm secretly in love, but that damn compact geometry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Tyrellcrimson,
    Thanks for the info, I'm seriously trying to decide between the Galileo and a Felt F55. Have you had any experience the Felts. I'll check out the Orbea Orca, they look expensive though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast