Pinarello Rokh - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinarello Rokh

likes shiny bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Enough of the insults, stay on point please.
    Thank you Coolhand,
    We are supposed to be like minded individuals sharing our passion for the sport we love.
    Sometimes, that passion can get out of hand.
    Cheers,
    -Rob
    2012 Pinarello Dogma2 / SR11ti
    2010 Specialized SL3 S-Works / Red
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red
    2000 Pinarello Prince Team Banesto R10
    1997 Pinarello Vuelta Team Banesto / R10
    1994 Pinarello Stelvio / C-R8
    1989 Pinarello Montello / C-R6

likes shiny bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark'n View Post
    It was said as tongue-in-cheek, I assure you. The sarcasm was definitely lost in translation; no insult was intended.
    I don't think Coolhand was referring to your posting. Several posts were censored and deleted including mine.
    2012 Pinarello Dogma2 / SR11ti
    2010 Specialized SL3 S-Works / Red
    2008 Orbea Ordu TT / Red
    2000 Pinarello Prince Team Banesto R10
    1997 Pinarello Vuelta Team Banesto / R10
    1994 Pinarello Stelvio / C-R8
    1989 Pinarello Montello / C-R6

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone have any thoughts on how the Look 566 would stack up to the Rokh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    any idea how much the price for ROKH frame set alone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Looks like it will be sold only as a complete bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I would really like to hear more about this bike. The geometry looks a bit relaxed, but not as much as, say, a Giant Defy. I like the idea of a slightly relaxed bike, but race worthy. Anybody see one yet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    The one I lifted up in a shop seemed kind of heavy but some of that is the standard wheels. Interestingly enough the Pinarello web site shows the raw frame weight as 1225 gm for the Rokh compared to 1120 for the FP Due and 1100 for the FP Quattro. The extra weight over the standard road frames would probably make the Rokh more stable over bumpy roads though. The new Kobh (the frame the Rokh is based on) called the Dogma K is only 950 gm but this is a much more expensive frame. My recent experience renting a 2011 FP 2 (now Due) showed it to be noticeable more comfortable than a lot of other carbon frames I have ridden probably due to its slightly heavier weight and relaxed geometry.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by masi85 View Post
    The one I lifted up in a shop seemed kind of heavy but some of that is the standard wheels. Interestingly enough the Pinarello web site shows the raw frame weight as 1225 gm for the Rokh compared to 1120 for the FP Due and 1100 for the FP Quattro. The extra weight over the standard road frames would probably make the Rokh more stable over bumpy roads though. The new Kobh (the frame the Rokh is based on) called the Dogma K is only 950 gm but this is a much more expensive frame. My recent experience renting a 2011 FP 2 (now Due) showed it to be noticeable more comfortable than a lot of other carbon frames I have ridden probably due to its slightly heavier weight and relaxed geometry.
    There are no Pinarello frames anywhere near under 1000 grams. The Dogma is about 1210 grams. The 950g figure is a completely bare frame without bottom bracket insert, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    i have been looking at investing in a nice road bike. i just got into cycling this summer, and purchased the entry level Specialized Tricross to function as my commuting/recreational/touring machine...

i have been looking at some options, including: Pinarello FP2, Bianchi Infinito, Colnago Ace, and Look 566...

then i went to the Salon du Cycle last week in Paris (where i live) and saw the Pinarello ROKH. and i've been reading up on it ever since...

Of those bikes i mentioned, how does the ROKH stack up??

thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I've been interested in the same bikes, but have not had a chance to ride them. I can tell you the Ace is one of the best looking bikes I have seen. The Bianchi is also very nice looking. Both I have seen, but not had the opportunity to ride.

- I -
    As someone who has never ridden a Pinarello, please enlighten me on the "phenomenal ride" aspect of it. What makes it "phenomenal"? What about it makes it any better than riding any of the other high end bikes?

As far as production goes, aren't all these carbon fiber bikes now made in only a handful of Asian factories and branded for their respective purchasers?

In regards to some of the other bikes in a couple of previous posts, I rode the Look 566 and the Bianchi Infinito. It was a very difficult choice, but I went with the Bianchi. It rides very nice as well. But honestly, I couldn't tell much difference in the ride between the two, and I think the Look would have been less expensive.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodi Crescent View Post
    As someone who has never ridden a Pinarello, please enlighten me on the "phenomenal ride" aspect of it. What makes it "phenomenal"? What about it makes it any better than riding any of the other high end bikes?

As far as production goes, aren't all these carbon fiber bikes now made in only a handful of Asian factories and branded for their respective purchasers?
    Personally, I thought the Pinarello Prince was the most stable descender I have ever ridden, though the Time Worldstar is right up there too. I don't think the ride quality on the Prince is "phenomenal" in an overall sense. It's a super stiff bike that would excel in a criterium.

For overall ride quality and workmanship, I think Time is the top that I have ever ridden. They're hand-made in France, have a lifetime warranty, and the quality really shows. I will say that the Pinarellos do look sexier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I had just purchased my very first road bike.... and the one I chose was the Pinarello FP2, which is a built bike with the Shimano 105 groupset. Coming from riding a Specialized stumpjumper mountain bike, the transition to a road bike was very comfortable. Having read reviews on this bike, I learned that it was the perfect transition into the road bike catergory... something to do with the asymmetry and the fork they developed. Fearing all the feedback about the stiffness compared to a mountain bike, my experience with the FP2 was very comfortable. I've had the bike for a month now and I have been riding it almost every single day, at least 1.5hrs - 3 hrs traveling 35kms - 63kms...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    yeah, the FP2 sounds like a really good bike... and more affordable than all the others i mentioned, except maybe the Look 566, which i think is similarly priced.

now, however, Pinarello just updated the FP2 with the FP Due. but i am not sure the difference between the old model and the new model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knightev View Post
    yeah, the FP2 sounds like a really good bike... and more affordable than all the others i mentioned, except maybe the Look 566, which i think is similarly priced.

now, however, Pinarello just updated the FP2 with the FP Due. but i am not sure the difference between the old model and the new model.
    I just picked up the 2012 FP Due. I can't tell you about the differences, but I can tell you that after testing other bikes/brands, this one felt special. I know enough about bikes to be dangerous, so take my comments in that context.

Very happy with my decision though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

In regards to some of the other bikes in a couple of previous posts, I rode the Look 566 and the Bianchi Infinito. It was a very difficult choice, but I went with the Bianchi. It rides very nice as well. But honestly, I couldn't tell much difference in the ride between the two, and I think the Look would have been less expensive.

When you buy a Pinarello, you dont consider it if youre trying to measure bang for buck, or a good price point. I originally came from a 2010 Bianchi Infinito, and the ride quality difference was night and day. For me, the Pinarello Dogma was way stiffer, more balanced, better handling and cornering, more stable during high speed descents, faster sprinting, more comfortable/compliant ride, and looks-wise very sexy (subjective of course). Compare it to a Yamaha R1 vs a Ducati .
    2010 Pinarello Dogma 60.1
    2013 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

I had tested a number of brands (Trek, Cervelo, Specialized, Colnago, etc, etc.) for a few weeks before I took a Rokh out for a spin. What I was looking for at the time was something that absorbed the road really well and didn't feel "squirrelly" like my 04 Giant TCR feels, and one that would accelerate up hills really well. All the brands felt about the same. All brands did really well with comfort and road absorption. The Tarmac was probably the best at accelerating up the hills and felt very light even when I was very tired. Then I tried out the Rokh. As I came out of the saddle on a hill I had the strangest feeling. I thought to myself, "what was that"? I was feeling the bike accelerating underneath me. It was almost like the bike was trying to escape out from underneath me. I wanted MORE! However, I went on to test ride other bikes and retest the ones I liked the most. Cervelo was climbing the list of favorites and loved the feel of the R3.

Then I went back and tried the Rokh again. Now if any of you have ridden horses, they like to get back home. When you take a horse out on a ride, when you turn back home they really want to get back home, and if you don't control them they will run back home. Kind of like at the end of the work day you want to get back home (or to the start of that bike ride you have been dreaming about at work all day). I know it is silly to compare the quality of a bike ride to riding a horse, but the feeling I had on the second test of the Rokh felt a lot like trying to control a horse from running. what I mean is it felt like the bike had a mind of its own and just wanted to go go go, and if I didn't get a hold of the reins it would run away from me. In reality what was happening was a lot of power from my legs being transferred into the forward motion of the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    that sounds kind of amazing. did you get the ROKH? if so, what components, etc?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    I'm nearing 20,000 miles on my Look 595 and am ready for a change. I love the idea of owning a Pinarello, and being able to get a plush riding Pinarello (I have a bad back) really interests me. I went in to my local bike shop and was disappointed to find that the ROKH is only being sold as a built-up bike, with low-end components. I want to buy the frame and then outfit it with Dura Ace Di2.

Does anyone know of a way to buy frame only? (The thought of paying for a complete component set then, taking it off and selling it really turns me off.)

I am just starting to investigate so I am anxious to hear or see more from others who have ridden the ROKH.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bikerneil; 10-06-2011 at 02:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    bikerneil, try looking at a couple of the UK dealers. I got my Dogma from shinybikes, it was a very easy transaction, and the bike arrived in Winnipeg in about four days!
    Also they had the EXACT colour and size in stock. They had no problem telling me over the phone what sizes and colours they had in hand. No backordering or waiting around while the bike shop checks the distributor, the distributor checks their supplier, blaah blah blah. I've bought a few frames from the UK and never been disappointed, Ribble and Maestro are also very open and reliable. When I tried to buy a Merckx and a Look here in Canada I couldn't even get a straight answer regarding what the distributor had in stock.
    When you buy a bike at this level, regardless of brand, it is crazy to get anything other than exactly what you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I had been in search of my 1st road bike. Back in September I came here in hopes getting some information on the new Rokh. Not many comments other than stuff about brand loyalty and price point. Not a problem. I understood this was a Pinerallo forum and it was not unexpected. So I just stuck with an extremely good bike fit and test rides. Even with a 2 hour test ride it can be a tough decision. In the end? I went with the Rokh.

Based on where I will be riding and the type of riding I will be doing, and my comfort level, I narrowed my choices down to the Cervelo RS, the Cannodale Synapse 3, and the Rokh. In general, I liked the feel of all 3 of these bikes.

I'm not sure why the comments ... ewwwww Cannodale. I will just assume the poster has not rode any of the latest offerings from Cannodale. Just my opinion but the Synapse 3 is a very good bike. I think you might be surprised on climbs which bike would be slowest in a sprint.

Price Point? If price point was a main consideration and I was in a flat locale like Florida, the Cervello RS would have been my choice ... hands down. For anyone with more experience than me (which means everyone because I have little road bike) then the Cervello might still be worth a look if your main consideration is price point, regardless of location.

So why did I choose the Rokh? Because of it's downhill stability. It felt solid. All of my time is on MTB's and this is my first go at road biking. Switching from 21 lbs with 26x2.2's to something smaller and lighter with 23mm was an eye opener for me. I am accustomed to my extremely stable mtb. The Rokh? It has no ill behavior on a steep downhill rough road. The feel and feedback from the front was extremely stable. Even with a wind. Now I just need to learn to ride through the switchbacks and trust those little 23mm tires without wearing out the brakes. Another determining factor was comfort. Part of the comfort came from an extremely good bike fit that took longer than I anticpated. I had no clue they could be so technical. Lots of measurements. Also, I'm not a racer. I'm into being able to ride in comfort for whatever distance. While the measurements would have worked with all 3 of my choices the best match was the Rokh. How was this determined? Well the numbers for one but in the end? By me on my test rides. I felt most comfortable on the Rokh.

In the end, while I loved all 3 bikes, I believe the Rokh was the right choice for me. It is an extremely comfortable and stable bike that will allow me to ride for hours and still feel good at the end of the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

masterfully written....

Quote Originally Posted by Rokh On View Post
    I had been in search of my 1st road bike. Back in September I came here in hopes getting some information on the new Rokh. Not many comments other than stuff about brand loyalty and price point. Not a problem. I understood this was a Pinerallo forum and it was not unexpected. So I just stuck with an extremely good bike fit and test rides. Even with a 2 hour test ride it can be a tough decision. In the end? I went with the Rokh.

Based on where I will be riding and the type of riding I will be doing, and my comfort level, I narrowed my choices down to the Cervelo RS, the Cannodale Synapse 3, and the Rokh. In general, I liked the feel of all 3 of these bikes.

I'm not sure why the comments ... ewwwww Cannodale. I will just assume the poster has not rode any of the latest offerings from Cannodale. Just my opinion but the Synapse 3 is a very good bike. I think you might be surprised on climbs which bike would be slowest in a sprint.

Price Point? If price point was a main consideration and I was in a flat locale like Florida, the Cervello RS would have been my choice ... hands down. For anyone with more experience than me (which means everyone because I have little road bike) then the Cervello might still be worth a look if your main consideration is price point, regardless of location.

So why did I choose the Rokh? Because of it's downhill stability. It felt solid. All of my time is on MTB's and this is my first go at road biking. Switching from 21 lbs with 26x2.2's to something smaller and lighter with 23mm was an eye opener for me. I am accustomed to my extremely stable mtb. The Rokh? It has no ill behavior on a steep downhill rough road. The feel and feedback from the front was extremely stable. Even with a wind. Now I just need to learn to ride through the switchbacks and trust those little 23mm tires without wearing out the brakes. Another determining factor was comfort. Part of the comfort came from an extremely good bike fit that took longer than I anticpated. I had no clue they could be so technical. Lots of measurements. Also, I'm not a racer. I'm into being able to ride in comfort for whatever distance. While the measurements would have worked with all 3 of my choices the best match was the Rokh. How was this determined? Well the numbers for one but in the end? By me on my test rides. I felt most comfortable on the Rokh.

In the end, while I loved all 3 bikes, I believe the Rokh was the right choice for me. It is an extremely comfortable and stable bike that will allow me to ride for hours and still feel good at the end of the day.
    your description really hooked me. well described. pinarello should give you some money as a spokesperson for their products. you make me wish i had one!

if i might ask-- what size rokh did you get? what are some of your measurements (inseam, height, wingspan, etc..)?

rokh on!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knightev View Post
    pinarello should give you some money as a spokesperson for their products.
    THAT never happens on the Internet, RIGHT?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks knightev. My frame is a 52. I'm a lot shorter than you. My inseam is not quite 30.

Pinarello give discounts for touting their products? I wish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I just was at my LBS to look at the Rokh in person, and it is a beauty. They were just closing and I didn't have a chance to give it a spin, but will this weekend.

One question: Are the Fulcrum 5's all that bad of a wheel? I'm a heavier rider @ 220lb/100kg and wanted a bit lighter wheel, and one that would hold up well. Some reviews mentioned problems with the bearings, and I'm wondering if I'd have to swap them out soon.

Also thought it was strange that the SRAM build was Rival/Force mix. I really don't think I'll notice, but is this just a cost cutting measure, as I think it is? The FD and cranks are Rival, with only the RD Force. Over time, will the Rival be a problem?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast