2015 Formula 1

Thread: 2015 Formula 1

banned
    Aug 2012

2015 Formula 1

This is probably the second most expensive team to run in the 2015 Formula 1 season. Ferrari is the most expensive, in my estimation, not because they're profligate, but because they must do R&D for both engine and chassis, and they have the most expensive drivers' salary.

And, for you ladies reading this, wouldn't you say these three drivers are the most handsome drivers on the F1 grid right now? You have two gentlemen in their prime for starting a family, and a youngster from an illustrious racing dynasty. As for Ron, well, he's been around forever, and he still looks as sharp as ever. What do you think of Yasuhisa Arai ? (Senior Managing Officer, Honda R&D Co Ltd; Chief Officer of Motorsport, Honda) Does he look like he is shaking in his boots, to use a French Canadian slang?

McLaren Formula 1 - McLaren-Honda announces Fernando Alonso & Jenson Button for 2015

banned
    Aug 2012
    I still love VTEC. I just can't get over it. I have VTEC in all three cars in my garage. Did I say I love VTEC? I wish my cycling legs have VTEC. Sadly, they don't.

Covfefe
    How many F1 teams went broke this year in total?
    "It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

banned
    Aug 2012

2015 Formula 1

Two teams, in the sense that they can't attend some of the final two races.

Not Banned
    I like Jensen, think he's under achieved a bit. I was hoping for he and Lewis to go head to head for years, a great Brit F1 rivalry and then Vettel just took over. So glad Lewis is back on top and hope Jensen can do the same
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

banned
    Aug 2012

2015 Formula 1

Jensen now officially admires Prost, and Alonso admires Senna.

Maybe that's why Alonso is standing beside Ron Dennis, since Ron is well known as a devoted Senna fan.

Remember that a McLaren F1 racecar has never killed a driver except Bruce McLaren himself.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by myhui View Post
    Jensen now officially admires Prost, and Alonso admires Senna.

Maybe that's why Alonso is standing beside Ron Dennis, since Ron is well known as a devoted Senna fan.

Remember that a McLaren F1 racecar has never killed a driver.
    in F1 neither has Mercedes. One death in F1 from 2003 to the present

5 deaths in the last 20 years (2 in 94, Senna being one)

vs 33 from 52 to 72

banned
    Aug 2012

2015 Formula 1

Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    neither has Mercedes.
    Certainly true. But the Mercedes engines come from their acquisition of the British firm Ilmor, so it's not as home grown as a Honda engine. Even the Ferrari engine of the Michael Schumacher era had help from ex Honda engineers. Renault's F1 engine is truly homegrown.

Not Banned
    Certainly true. But the Mercedes engines come from their acquisition of the British firm Ilmor, so it's not as home grown as a Honda engine. Even the Ferrari engine of the Michael Schumacher era had help from ex Honda engineers. Renault's F1 engine is truly homegrown.
    but I don't think it's Mercedes engine per se, but their split turbo

banned
    Aug 2012

2015 Formula 1

Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    but I don't think it's Mercedes engine per se, but their split turbo
    Sure. That trick turbo was a shocker.

Honda's promo engine pictures don't seem to show a split turbo design. Maybe that's just an early version they're showing.

Not Banned
    Sure. That trick turbo was a shocker.

Honda's promo engine pictures don't seem to show a split turbo design. Maybe that's just an early version they're showing.
    I hope Jensen and McLaren have a great 2015, would great to see them battling. I feel no grief watching Ferrari struggling for a top 5 (for at least a few more years)

I guess Vettel's dominance had more to do with that Renault (or the computer systems)
    He wasn't even the fastest guy on his team this year

RoadBikeReview Member
    Honda would be better served by sorting out the air bag issue. Motor sport is fun for rich boys but those exploding airbags are killing people, more people than F1 racing.
    Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know ? News ?*Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
    seems like Takata are playing hard to get.
    Takata air bag problems: Honda in desperate bid to regain trust- Nikkei Asian Review

Love that Bruce McLaren's legacy still lives on. Pure Kiwi icon.

gazing from the shadows
    F1 racing: where the most amazing cars in the world produce some of the most boring races in the world.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

feh
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    F1 racing: where the most amazing cars in the world produce some of the most boring races in the world.
    Not that I watch F1, but I find it much more interesting than "floor it and make 4 left turns" that is so popular in America.
    What's the Matter with Kansas?

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by feh View Post
    Not that I watch F1, but I find it much more interesting than "floor it and make 4 left turns" that is so popular in America.
    F1 seems to result in very strung out fields, so basically time trialing after a couple laps. NASCAR? Meh, but in terms of head to head racing it has that. Door to door, bumper to bumper.

I generally find auto racing to be boring to watch, but if I do I want two things: both left AND right turns, and enough cars close enough for there to be lots of passing attempts and passing.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Auto Racing translates to TV ALMOST as bad as pro cycling does. Auto Racing live is amazing. NASCAR, NHRA, F1, any race witnessed in person is a complete assault on your senses. Its great.

Wait....I noticed no black people in that picture. F1 must be RAAAAACIST!!!!

Done
    Mar 2002
    Personally, I don't like this set of engine rules. I agree with Bernie: give me 1000hp V-10s.

The massive technical changes reshuffled the field, and made the top results predictible. Some of the racing, though, was pretty good. Massa's drive in Brazil, Bottas' appearing on the podium many times, and Ricciardo's emergence as a force at Red Bull were the high spots.

The race for the championship was a race between the Mercedes team mates (Rosberg and Hamilton) from the drop of the flag in Australia. That was actually a pretty good battle, if a little boring when it became clear that there weren't going to be many other teams stepping up to the top of the podium. I was rooting like hell for the Williams pair to win one. They came close...

There was some good racing in the midfield, but we rarely got to see it.
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

banned
    Aug 2012

2015 Formula 1

Alonso has the most sexy hair.

Done
    Mar 2002
    Remember that a McLaren F1 racecar has never killed a driver except Bruce McLaren himself.
    Actually, Bruce was killed testing a Can-Am car (not an F1 car) in 1970.

The Can-Am cars are a different story. Occasional F1 driver Moisés Solana was killed in a McLaren Can-Am car (M6B) during a hillclimb in 1969. Can-Am drive Dick Brown was also killed in an M6B at Mosport in 1970. I think that there were other fatalities as well in the McLaren Can-Am cars (or the customer cars made by Trojan), but those are the ones that I could come up with quickly. There have also been a number of fatal accidents with the McLaren F1 road cars as well.

But you are correct that McLaren has a good safety record in F1. I also can't think of a driver killed in a McLaren Indy car either.
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Yep, they might as well fly the checkered flag at the first turn.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    In before the move to the Lounge.

banned
    Aug 2012
    It seems like Honda is fully one year behind everyone else in terms of how the rules treat this newcomer. Everyone submitted their engines for homologation last February, and this season they have 32 "tokens" to use to update their engines for performance. But Honda, this year, is forced to accept what everyone went through back in 2014, where they homologated in February 2014, and any changes have to be approved case-by-case.

Honda left out of 2015 in-season engine development

Do you see two separated impellers for the turbo in the above picture? I don't. Exhaust comes from the bottom two pipes, intake comes from the periscope scoop facing the front. It's the same turbo placement as Renault's.

banned
    Aug 2012

2015 Formula 1

banned
    Aug 2012

2015 Formula 1

banned
    Aug 2012