2020 Democratic Primary: Who's Your Guy or Gal? - Page 2

View Poll Results: 2020 Democratic Primary: Who's Your Guy or Gal?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe Biden

3 15.79%
  • Bernie Sanders

0 0%
  • Elizabeth Warren

4 21.05%
  • Pete Buttigieg

5 26.32%
  • Michael Bloomberg

2 10.53%
  • Amy Klobuchar

1 5.26%
  • Andrew Yang

1 5.26%
  • Tom Steyer

0 0%
  • Deval Patrick

0 0%
  • Other (Post who!)

3 15.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    Compared to Trump's lifetime of achievements.. making so little with so much.
    No contest. Donnie's avoided jail more then Kim.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    Yeah, I could definitely see Oprah running a successful campaign. We could do a lot worse than Oprah on the celebrity campaign front.
    Trump would eat her for dinner. When voters decide to boot an incumbent, they want the opposite. We don't need another celebrity or another billionaire.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Russian Troll Farmer
    As far as Buttigeg is concerned; while I like what he says, he is nowhere near qualified for the presidency. Being mayor of a medium-sized midwest city really only qualifies you for being a parade marshal or for opening supermarkets. With the damage that DJT has done to our foreign affairs, we will desperately need somebody with foreign service experience. Pete needs to run for the senate or the governorship at least before I'd consider him for president.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    The Dem debate is in an hour (9pm EST) on CNN.

It’s also the last one before the Iowa caucuses, and will have only six candidates — the ‘Big Four’ plus Steyer and Klobuchar.

I think all the elements are there for a truly interesting debate.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Didn't watch but listened to debate for another perspective. For what its worth (no much)

* Pete, Steyer, and Liz combined good story telling with actions/policies.

* Joe --- lots of stumbles and lack of energy until his close.

* Bernie --- for me the blush is off the rose for Mr. Sanders. Will he be a good loser or a bad spoiler is my concern.

* Was Obama in the Green Room? Less attaching personalities and the use of "we disagree" words a kin to a Senate floor debate.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Banned Sock Puppet
    What was with that cold exchange between Warren and Sanders after the debate?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What was with that cold exchange between Warren and Sanders after the debate?
    Sexual tension.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trump would eat her for dinner. When voters decide to boot an incumbent, they want the opposite. We don't need another celebrity or another billionaire.
    I'm not talking about a run against Trump- it's clearly too late for that. I'm talking 2024. To be clear, it's not like Oprah is my pick for president. I'm just saying that if we had to have a celebrity candidate, Oprah is probably one of the better ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    As far as Buttigeg is concerned; while I like what he says, he is nowhere near qualified for the presidency. Being mayor of a medium-sized midwest city really only qualifies you for being a parade marshal or for opening supermarkets. With the damage that DJT has done to our foreign affairs, we will desperately need somebody with foreign service experience. Pete needs to run for the senate or the governorship at least before I'd consider him for president.
    He seems to have a pretty good grasp of foreign affairs issues, and his command of language would probably help with diplomacy. The main thing we need is a president who will stop kicking the foreign service and intelligence communities, as well as negotiate rationally and honestly. All of the candidates on the Dem side will do that.

Hi
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post

My one and only goal for any candidate is to beat Trump--my one and only condition for any candidate not getting the nomination is to pour everything they have into helping the nominee in goal #1.
    Bernie didn't do that last time and the enthusiasm gap cost Hilary turnout and therefore the election. Bernie is all about Bernie. He's not even a real democrat.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Tell that to idiots who know vastly more about the kardashians' day-to-day stunts than they know about how state, local and federal governments operate.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by davelikestoplay View Post
    Bernie didn't do that last time and the enthusiasm gap cost Hilary turnout and therefore the election.

Bernie is all about Bernie. He's not even a real democrat.
    Bernie’s starting to annoy me too.

He’s got more than a bit of a ‘Nader 2000’ vibe to him.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post

He’s got more than a bit of a ‘Nader 2000’ vibe to him.
    Yeah, he had that 4 years ago too. He was fine until it got to May/June and he wasn't bowing out gracefully or doing anything to support Clinton. I'm not really with him or Warren on policy, but I'd support Warren a lot more enthusiastically due to that history alone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, he had that 4 years ago too. He was fine until it got to May/June and he wasn't bowing out gracefully or doing anything to support Clinton. I'm not really with him or Warren on policy, but I'd support Warren a lot more enthusiastically due to that history alone.
    From #30 above:

Bernie --- for me the blush is off the rose for Mr. Sanders. Will he be a good loser or a bad spoiler is my concern.

Banned Sock Puppet
    I'm not talking about a run against Trump- it's clearly too late for that. I'm talking 2024.
    That's only if President Biden doesn't run for reelection.

To be clear, it's not like Oprah is my pick for president. I'm just saying that if we had to have a celebrity candidate, Oprah is probably one of the better ones.
    What works for Republicans doesn't necessarily work for Democrats. Democratic voters aren't quite as hung up on the celebrity thing.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    [Warren, Sanders] Sexual tension.
    Let’s throw Buttigieg in there as well, for a confusing unrequited love triangle/French farce.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    That's only if President Biden doesn't run for reelection.

What works for Republicans doesn't necessarily work for Democrats. Democratic voters aren't quite as hung up on the celebrity thing.
    People who are long-time registered democrats because they know what being a democrat stands for... no, they're probably not hung up on celeb thing or likely to vote for a celeb or billionaire.

People who are watching reality TV shows and TMZ when they're not otherwise occupied reading People Magazine and the National Enquirer... those who probably wouldn't vote for anybody unless they're excited about the prospect of having Honey Boo Boo, Oprah or Kim Kardashian for president... they're the morons who will vote us into an Idiocracy, sooner or later, I'm afraid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    WTF I checked Bernie but the page jumped and it says I picked Warren

Anyway. I'm all for Bernie, feelin' the Bern and all that. He's the real deal, and after the CNN debacle, I went from liking Warren as a second choice, to not trusting her at all. She's so close to making history I think she can be easily compromised at this point, and already takes corporate money, so screw that.

This is the first time I've ever donated to a political campaign. He had my vote in 2016 and gets it again.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    WTF I checked Bernie but the page jumped and it says I picked Warren
    Typical RBR suck-fu. The page often loads weirdly, and jumps until/unless fully loaded. Have lost count of how many times I've clicked on the wrong link/post 'cuz of it.

Basically, you have to slow yourself down to the Speed of Dumb™/teh RBR hamsters.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Early primary schedule:

Feb 3 – Iowa caucuses
    Feb 11 – New Hampshire primary
    Feb 22 – Nevada caucuses
    Feb 29 – South Carolina primary
    Mar 3 – Super Tuesday (CA, TX, MA, AL, AR, CO, ME, MN, NC, OK, TN, UT, VT, VA)

As it looks right now (polling, sentiment, momentum, etc)...

1) Iowa seems to be up for grabs, with any and all of the Big Four™ (Biden, Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg) having a real shot.

2) New Hampshire also seems to be up for grabs, but a little less so (Sanders and Biden have a slight lead over the other two).

3) Nevada and South Carolina look like probable Biden wins.

4) How the first four primaries go will help set the table for Super Tuesday, aka 'momentum'. Well, that and Bloomberg's monster ad buys (maybe).

Biden would seem to have the edge going into Super Tuesday, likely winning at least two of the first four primaries.

BUT, if someone else is able to win both Iowa and NH, that candidate would have 'Big Mo' before Biden's momentum can kick in... and might be able to, say, run very close to Biden in Nevada, and actually go into Super Tuesday as the new favorite.

It seems that Sanders has the best chance of pulling this off, but Warren and Mayor Pete aren't far behind.

Add to this that Bloomberg is looking to 'parachute' into Super Tuesday on the back of the Mother of All Ad Buys™, and it could get very interesting... though it should be said that currently Bloomberg is not polling very well, i.e. mid-to-high single digits nationally among Dem primary choices.

He, Steyer, and Yang can all self-finance indefinitely and stay in, but to what end if they're just not getting the votes/delegates? At some point it becomes a slow-motion continuing humiliation.

Klobuchar does not appear to be able to break out, and should be gone by the day after NH, if not sooner.

Gabbard, Bennet, and Patrick appear to be total non-factors, aka 'also rans'. Iowa appears to be their collective last stop, if even that.

And if you missed it, Castro, Booker, and Williamson all dropped out recently.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    PS- State polling is significantly inaccurate compared to national polling, so there is more room than you might think for 'surprises', though I wouldn't bet on any, either.

aka don't expect Tulsi Gabbard or Michael Bennet to 'shock the world' with four straight early primary wins.

RoadBikeReview Member
    agree. Bernie's little interaction with Warren following the debate just reinforces what I've thought of him for quite a while...

he's just another grumpy old man.

really tired of his act and don't think he'd be an inspiring or competent leader.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Early primary schedule:

Feb 3 – Iowa caucuses
    Feb 11 – New Hampshire primary
    Feb 22 – Nevada caucuses
    Feb 29 – South Carolina primary
    Mar 3 – Super Tuesday (CA, TX, MA, AL, AR, CO, ME, MN, NC, OK, TN, UT, VT, VA)

As it looks right now (polling, sentiment, momentum, etc)...

1) Iowa seems to be up for grabs, with any and all of the Big Four™ (Biden, Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg) having a real shot.

2) New Hampshire also seems to be up for grabs, but a little less so (Sanders and Biden have a slight lead over the other two).

3) Nevada and South Carolina look like probable Biden wins.

4) How the first four primaries go will help set the table for Super Tuesday, aka 'momentum'. Well, that and Bloomberg's monster ad buys (maybe).

Biden would seem to have the edge going into Super Tuesday, likely winning at least two of the first four primaries.

BUT, if someone else is able to win both Iowa and NH, that candidate would have 'Big Mo' before Biden's momentum can kick in... and might be able to, say, run very close to Biden in Nevada, and actually go into Super Tuesday as the new favorite.

It seems that Sanders has the best chance of pulling this off, but Warren and Mayor Pete aren't far behind.

Add to this that Bloomberg is looking to 'parachute' into Super Tuesday on the back of the Mother of All Ad Buys™, and it could get very interesting... though it should be said that currently Bloomberg is not polling very well, i.e. mid-to-high single digits nationally among Dem primary choices.

He, Steyer, and Yang can all self-finance indefinitely and stay in, but to what end if they're just not getting the votes/delegates? At some point it becomes a slow-motion continuing humiliation.

Klobuchar does not appear to be able to break out, and should be gone by the day after NH, if not sooner.

Gabbard, Bennet, and Patrick appear to be total non-factors, aka 'also rans'. Iowa appears to be their collective last stop, if even that.

And if you missed it, Castro, Booker, and Williamson all dropped out recently.
    On the morning of March 4th its all over as Cali weights in. The money will dry up and fat wallets/special interests will consolidate around their choice.

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Bernie needs to go, period. It's the Democratic Party's nomination and one round of carpetbagging is enough. There's no chance for a non-straight white male, female, or non-white to win the presidency this round. The deplorables are still fuming over the lost of the county to non-WASP ideals and their electoral college votes are still necessary to win. That leaves Joe, Mike, and Tom. Tom's mid-western nice and green acres is too annoying. Mike is too slick and ruthless. Joe, he stumbles a bit too much. Hoping that the pragmatic view is reflected after Super Tuesday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12