Is 270,000,000 Guns Enough?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Is 270,000,000 Guns Enough?

Gun advocates commonly like to claim the banning assault weapons would be a defacto banning of all guns. Yep that is an exaggeration, but by how much?

Over 400,000,000 guns are in private ownership in the United States, of which are estimated 2/3rd of which are not semi-automatic types, i.e. weapons capable of auto loading and rapid firing including rifles, handguns, shotguns.*
    These semi-automatic firearms, many with the ability to quick change high capacity magazines, are commonly the weapon of choice for mass-murders hellbent on killing as many person as possible in the shortest period of time

So, hypothetically, if all of these rapid fire guns were prohibited, a person interested in owning a firearm would have 270,000,000 options ... or at least one gun for every person age 18 and over in the United States.

Somehow having 270,000,000 gun available for hunting, plinking, target shooting, or self-defense is hardly "banning" access to guns.

* Source: https://www.quora.com/What-percentag...semiautomatics
    Last edited by troutmd; 02-11-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    But ... HILLARY!!!!
    Snakebit: "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't have a source? I don't make a note of everything I see or hear on the internet and you don't have to take my word for it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Whaaaaat!?!?!

Wasn't Obama supposed to take all our guns?

Master debator.
    It's not much fun plinking at ripe tomatoes and beer cans with a single shot FWIW, but if I had to do it to save lives, I'd do it. It would be like having intercourse with Billy Joel's daughter, I'd do it, but I'd hate every second of it.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Single Shot?

photo cock-lever-action-gif.gif
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I couldn't open the link as I was curious to see how the statistics were compiled. I would consider myself to be a "typical" gun owner and only about 1/3 of mine would not be considered to be "semi-automatics". Many people I know only own semi-automatics.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    It's not much fun plinking at ripe tomatoes and beer cans with a single shot FWIW, but if I had to do it to save lives, I'd do it. It would be like having intercourse with Billy Joel's daughter, I'd do it, but I'd hate every second of it.
    It doesn't have to be semi-auto to fire multiple shots. Revolvers and lever actions work fine as well as pump action shotguns.

As for the dreaded AR's how about we don't ban the gun but ban the round? No more .223/5.56NATO rounds. You can keep the gun and convert it to firing .22LR's. There are lots of kits on the inter webs for just this.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

ďNationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

What the what???
    Knives, bombs, cars...

Just getting some of the idiotic distractions out of the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Gun advocates commonly like to claim the banning assault weapons would be a defacto banning of all guns.
    Uh, no. What they most often say is that banning "assault rifles" is dumb because there is no such thing.

Perhaps you're confusing that with what the gun grabbers want - a ban on all guns.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    banning "assault rifles" is dumb because there is no such thing.
    Resorting to semantic games means you lose. Next will be the magazine/clip babble.......anything to deflect from topic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You mean: "So, hypothetically, if all of these rapid fire guns were not prohibited, a person interested in owning a firearm would have 270,000,000 options ... or at least one gun for every person age 18 and over in the United States."

Andy's right on. We want all your guns, cowboys. Especially those lethal 9mm pistols with the multi-round magazines. They'll do the trick in close range combat really fine. They should be banned on the street right along with military assault weapons. Personal protection should revert back to the single shot flintlock, like back in dueling days.

xxl
    Is 270,000,000 guns enough?

Apparently not:
    https://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/ohio-militia-members-had-unregistered-explosives-feds-say

"A federal indictment against 37-year-old Ryan D. King, of Franklin, and 53-year-old Randy D. Goodman, of Ripley, was unsealed Monday. The men are accused of violating the National Firearms Act by possessing unregistered explosives. They each are facing two counts.

In their militia, the United Sheepdogs of Ohio, King and Goodman established a subset they called a 'special projects team' and advocated the team construct, use and stockpile explosives they called 'crater makers,' according to the indictment.

Officials with the Department of Justice said King and Goodman tested the bombs at Goodman's Ripley home in January. The men discussed construction and ignition methods in detail.

According to highlights of a conversation shared by authorities, Goodman asked about 'how they built the pressure cookers for the Boston bombers.'

'If you really want explosions you would bury these in the driveway, so they go up and out,' King was quoted as saying. 'We can build land mines, Iíve already built them before, you know that.'

In October 2018, King bought inert grenades and a wire assembly in Kentucky. He suggested methods 'if we want to get real lethal,' and Goodman commented that would make them an elite group, according to the indictment.

At the militia's Christmas party at King's Franklin home, King showed Goodman a collection of parts needed to make a destructive device and commented that a steel pipe 'could go under a front sear of a car very easily, engine of a car, wired into the breaking [sic],' according to the indictment, and Goodman responded, 'I like that, that's the method I like.'"

Can you imagine if these clowns and their "militia" ("United Sheepdogs of Ohio"--really, that's their name) have analogues down in border country, and they decide to engage in vigilante "border patrol" by stringing up a "defensive perimeter" of their home-brew claymores and "crater makers?"

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

"Oh my god. This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. Iím fód.Ē

RoadBikeReview Member
    But isn't the point of a well regulated militia to fight the Govt? Tanks against bullets isn't fair. Pressure cookers are arms too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    But if the 15 million assault rifles the NRA estimates are in the US were all prohibited, this only leaves 380,000,000 firearms available.

OMG --- the end of the world!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    But isn't the point of a well regulated militia to fight the Govt? Tanks against bullets isn't fair. Pressure cookers are arms too.
    Lets not forget bears.. bears are arms too.. and they have arms.. we should take away all their razors, bears have no right to bare arms ..............

I'll see myself out..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    You mean: "So, hypothetically, if all of these rapid fire guns were not prohibited, a person interested in owning a firearm would have 270,000,000 options ... or at least one gun for every person age 18 and over in the United States."

Andy's right on. We want all your guns, cowboys. Especially those lethal 9mm pistols with the multi-round magazines. They'll do the trick in close range combat really fine. They should be banned on the street right along with military assault weapons. Personal protection should revert back to the single shot flintlock, like back in dueling days.
    No one wants to ban guns outright.. just better control over who has them, and at the very least know who has them.. and keep them out of the hands of mentally ill and stupid people.. so a good portion of Trumps base and I suspect a few people on this forum should not be allowed to have guns

Snarkyness from me aside... You are right in one respect. The 2A was written a long time ago, and those who wrote it could not have forseen the progress made in the technology of dealing death. I bet if they had seen what the future would bring, the 2A would be considerably more restrictive. So maybe we should only allow people to own weapons with the same capability as those that existed when the 2A was written.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    Resorting to semantic games means you lose. Next will be the magazine/clip babble.......anything to deflect from topic.
    I suppose you also think a cartridge is actually called a "bullet"?

There is no such thing as an assault rifle.

They're just rifles.

Edit: on second thought, maybe there is such a thing as an assault rifle - a gun with scary looking features like gasp folding stocks and gasp "paramilitary paint jobs" (i.e. painted black) and other things that make liberals lose control of their bowels.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Uh, no. What they most often say is that banning "assault rifles" is dumb because there is no such thing.

Perhaps you're confusing that with what the gun grabbers want - a ban on all guns.
    Speaking of being confused, as the OP discusses, Over 400,000,000 guns are in private ownership in the United States, of which are estimated 2/3rd of which are not semi-automatic types, i.e. weapons capable of auto loading and rapid firing including rifles, handguns, shotguns.* These semi-automatic firearms, many with the ability to quick change high capacity magazines, are commonly the weapon of choice for mass-murders hellbent on killing as many person as possible in the shortest period of time.

I hope you don't try to claim there are no such things as semi-automatic guns capable of auto loading and rapid firing including rifles, handguns, shotguns and which may have the ability to quick change high capacity magazines.

But from the tone of your comments here I suspect you feel having 270,000,000 guns is not enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He has that many burried in his yard let alone his bug out shelter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    They those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The problem is you can't teach stupid and history is taught in a classroom.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    But from the tone of your comments here I suspect you feel having 270,000,000 guns is not enough.
    Enough? What do you mean by "enough"?

That's like asking your wife if having 25 pairs of shoes is enough. She will give you that blank stare like... what do you mean, "enough"?

Or when she asks you, isn't one bike "enough"? Surely you don't need 4 or 5 of them.
    Last edited by davesupra; 02-12-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Enough as in people have had enough with the NRA, mass shootings and so-called "responsible" gun owners that can't step up and do the right thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    They those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The problem is you can't teach stupid and history is taught in a classroom.

Opus was just napping
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post

That's like asking your wife if having 25 pairs of shoes is enough. She will give you that blank stare like... what do you mean, "enough"?

Or when she asks you, isn't one bike "enough"?
    Why should you be concerned about the number of shoes your wife owns?

My wife has dozens of purses and shoes and I never thought to count or imply that she had enough. She makes great money, if she wants a pair of shoes she goes out and buys them.

Plus, I can only recall a shoe being a murder weapon once and it was Single White Female.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member

Or when she asks you, isn't one bike "enough"? Surely you don't need 4 or 5 of them.
    Glad to see you finally understand that a full prohibition of rapid fire guns while not prevent you from owning a gun if qualified --- after all you'll have 270,000,000 or more to pick from.

See it really wasn't that difficult to understand that banning one type gun for public safety reasons is not banning all guns.
    Last edited by troutmd; 02-12-2019 at 11:01 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANA View Post
    Enough as in people have had enough with the NRA, mass shootings and so-called "responsible" gun owners that can't step up and do the right thing.
    What exactly is "the right thing"?
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

Ricardo Cabeza
    What exactly is "the right thing"?
    kowtow to the liberal antigun agenda?

SuperAndy's Garage

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast