The Amy Coney Barrett Hearings
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    RBR Hamsters Et My Avatar

The Amy Coney Barrett Hearings

First off, Corey Booker is killing it.

Secondly, the strategies are set, and pretty clear...

GOP: So very happy to be talking about anything but covid. Are hoping desperately that some Dem will make Barrett's religious faith an issue, so they can make massive political hay over it. Are hoping/praying the hearings will stop their dive in the polls, in both the Presidential and Senate races.

Dems: Are pushing the 'two Hs'... GOP hypocrisy, and health care. Are making the hearings all about Barrett overturning Obamacare and Roe (smart). Do not seem to be taking the GOP bait on Barrett's religious beliefs (also smart).

Both sides seem to be staying on message too, no one seems to be 'freelancing' as yet.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did — peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

xxl
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Donald Trump has never won a popular vote in a governmental election.

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Listened to a bit of the hearings this morning.

I doubt this hearing will be making any big waves (unlike Kavanaugh). The Democrats want to make this about the GOP and the Republicans want to make it about ACB. Democrats aren't taking the bait, so the result is they just talk past each other.

Smart not to talk about her faith, but the funny thing is that Republicans are only strenuously defending it because her background is from a conservative Christian sect. I find it hard to believe they'd be so gung ho about defending her religion if she were a Wahabi Muslim. In fact, I'm quite sure they'd attack her religious background if she were a scholar of liberation theology (a progressive Catholic tradition).

xxl

There are over 13 million covid cases in the United States (as of Thanksgiving), eleven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was going to try and tune in, but figure there is ZERO point in doing so.

She will be confirmed by the Senate BEFORE the election, barring a RBG miracle. There isn't anything the Democratic party can to to keep it from happening.

The GOP is just going to sing her praises and the Democrats are trying to create a rallying cry for voters to get to the polls, knowing it's the only play they have.

The real question is what's taking place behind the scenes.

We know two GOP senators feel this should take place after the election ... the question is whether other GOP senators that are in very close elections get swayed in their vote if they fall behind in polling due to the process swaying voters or increasing democratic turnout.

Graham has already thrown in his hat, and it's all in ... win or lose his seat. He's playing the long game for Trump and the GOP.

Other Senators may not be so willing if the winds change for them and they need the boost of not voting for her (unlikely) confirmation to the SCOTUS. I could theoretically see a a Senator or two that agreed on the hearings NOT voting for confirmation based on the GOP trying to ram the vote through DURING an election.

It's an unlikely scenario, but a 49-51 vote could potentially take place as the GOP tries to save the Senate.
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

xxl

xxl

xxl

xxl
    Another question for Barrett:

xxl
    Self-governance, what does it look like?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post

Graham has already thrown in his hat, and it's all in ... win or lose his seat. He's playing the long game for Trump and the GOP.
    It's his best move from a purely strategic standpoint. SC doesn't have a lot of swing voters, so turnout is important. He needs the conservative base to turn out for him to win reelection- there's no benefit to trying to win over moderates. Same reason he did a 180 on Trump himself. He's not the type to go down standing on principle, because the only one he cares about is staying in power.

Collins is voting against ACB for the opposite reason. Maine has a lot of moderate voters who have historically been willing to split the Senate/Presidential ticket. Collins had a lot of moderate Democrats in her coalition. Her vote for Kavanaugh was a massive strategic blunder because it turned off those moderate Democrats. It has been compounded by her inability to vote against the GOP majority when it really counts. She may be against voting for ACB until after the election, but I think it's going to ring hollow to most constituents.

I doubt any in the GOP are going to change their votes from what has already been announced. Collins and Murkowski are in unique situations. For all others, it's not in their political interest to vote no.

Jones could possibly vote for her as a political hail Mary- it wouldn't change the result and might help assert his independence to convince some conservative Alabamans to keep supporting him. But I'm afraid he won't be able to swim against the Trump tide, especially without a child molester as his opponent. He'd need to run 15-20% ahead of Trump to win. He might be able to get 10% tops- there just aren't that many who are willing to split their tickets between Trump and a Democrat. I think Jones might as well go down with principles intact, as he's almost certainly going down regardless.
    Last edited by nealric; 10-12-2020 at 11:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, someone needs to directly ask her how she feels about being forced through when the election is this close. Make her answer!

AND ask her about not wearing a mask.

Also, RIGHT!! We have to respect her religious beliefs...yet the GOP wants to turn around and tell us all Muslims are terrorists? Huh, how does this work again?

RoadBikeReview Member
    A huge stage showing how important the Supreme Court is just before an election.

Thank you Mitch, Donnie and Lindsey --- Elections have consequences and turnout wins elections.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

My job is to call balls and strikes and not pitch or swing a bat. ... I have no agenda.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    I was going to try and tune in, but figure there is ZERO point in doing so.

She will be confirmed by the Senate BEFORE the election, barring a RBG miracle. There isn't anything the Democratic party can to to keep it from happening.

The GOP is just going to sing her praises and the Democrats are trying to create a rallying cry for voters to get to the polls, knowing it's the only play they have.

The real question is what's taking place behind the scenes.

We know two GOP senators feel this should take place after the election ... the question is whether other GOP senators that are in very close elections get swayed in their vote if they fall behind in polling due to the process swaying voters or increasing democratic turnout.

Other Senators may not be so willing if the winds change for them and they need the boost of not voting for her (unlikely) confirmation to the SCOTUS. I could theoretically see a a Senator or two that agreed on the hearings NOT voting for confirmation based on the GOP trying to ram the vote through DURING an election.

It's an unlikely scenario, but a 49-51 vote could potentially take place as the GOP tries to save the Senate.
    Safe to say they wil ram it threw.
    Then when they get control expand the court and fix the stacking done by the party of hate and bigorty.
    We know Mosco Mitch will complained. They should response by calling him a hyprocrate and show the example of how he stands for nothing using in 2016 he said it should be the next president then he rammed one threw in 2020. Tell them that his words mean nothing and he is a hyprocrit and will be treated as someone who puts party before country.
    He should be treated as a liar and the demrocates should not even bother respecting him. Flat out say his worlds have no value until he proves otherwise.

These means on the floor call him a hyprocrite and hell even Mosco Mitch. Show him no respect.

xxl

xxl
    So what changed since 2016?

xxl

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really think the Democrats should have boycotted these hearings in the same way the Republicans refused to hold hearings for Garland.

The core argument for the Democrats isn't ACB, it's the process. So why participate in the process? Their walkout would have gotten more media attention than anything they could have said in the hearings.

RBR Hamsters Et My Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I really think the Democrats should have boycotted these hearings in the same way the Republicans refused to hold hearings for Garland.

The core argument for the Democrats isn't ACB, it's the process. So why participate in the process? Their walkout would have gotten more media attention than anything they could have said in the hearings.
    My best guess? Three weeks out from the Election, they wanted to drive up Dem turnout by stakes-framing... letting Dem voters know this appointment is a huge deal, aka the likely end of Roe, Obamacare, same-sex marriage, etc, etc.

Repubs think this appt will drive turnout in the GOP base, so if Dems can do the same, one of the GOP’s last remaining lifelines this election gets cut.

And, it really deserves to. The GOP’s actions here are indefensible.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did — peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post

Initially, yes, it would have garnered headlines. Then it would just be ACB and a room full of Republicans tossing her softball questions and singing her praises. Better to see some Democrats asking tough questions that she has to answer on camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Who the heck ARE these people?!!!

They want to argue that the government can't tell them what to do, the govt. can't tell them what guns they can legally buy, the govt. can't protect the environment. The govt. can't raise taxes. The govt. can't regulate businesses. The govt. can't regulate the free market.

BUT!!! If you claim it's your "faith" you can deny basic rights to women. You can deny basic rights to couples. You can deny basic rights to school children. You can deny basic rights to parents.

It's complete insanity. No logic. No objectivity. Their platform is "we'll do it this way when we want...then we'll do it that way when we want, and we'll do whatever we want...but we'll tell you who you can and cannot marry." It's maddening. If I'd grown up with parents this corrupt and hypocritical, I'd have left home in a flash. Yet, we're stuck with these scumbags running the govt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Initially, yes, it would have garnered headlines. Then it would just be ACB and a room full of Republicans tossing her softball questions and singing her praises. Better to see some Democrats asking tough questions that she has to answer on camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nobody would have watched the Republicans talking to themselves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Better to see some Democrats asking tough questions that she has to answer on camera.
    The Dems can ask tough questions all day long ... ACB will never answer them. She flat out stated she wouldn't answer them to Feinstein around Roe V Wade.

She will dodge every question and has been coached on how to do so, so no extent of hard questions will get her to reveal anything we don't already know from past opinions, speeches, etc.

What the Dems need to do is use her own words against her and haver he answer to those. Use her words that she stated during the 2015/16 SCOTUS and courts delay, she was against what the GOP and She are currently doing. Put that out there for the world to see ... just another hypocrite and political pawn on the board.

Use her limited opinions against her, use her Pro-Life speeches against her, use her statement of being just like Scalia against her.

Show her to be the hypocrite she is and the puppet on Graham, McConnel and Trump's strings.

Get the Democratic base out to vote with anger against Trump and the GOP so Biden gets elected and the Democrats take the Senate. Make the case NOW for the expansion of the court after the election, without directly stating it and get the MANDATE from the voters to do so, using GOP words against them ... "The PEOPLE voted for expansion of the courts and gave it to Democrats".
    Voting isn't marriage - it's public transport. You are not waiting for "The One" who is absolutely perfect. You are getting on the bus, and if there isn't one going exactly to your destination you don't stay at home and sulk - you take the one going closest to where you want to be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    BUT!!! If you claim it's your "faith" you can deny basic rights to women. You can deny basic rights to couples. You can deny basic rights to school children. You can deny basic rights to parents.

It's complete insanity. No logic. No objectivity. Their platform is "we'll do it this way when we want...then we'll do it that way when we want, and we'll do whatever we want...but we'll tell you who you can and cannot marry." It's maddening. If I'd grown up with parents this corrupt and hypocritical, I'd have left home in a flash. Yet, we're stuck with these scumbags running the govt.
    Separation of Church and State addresses this, however, religious ZEALOTS were elected by a strong religious contingent long ago eliminating that specific desire by the founding fathers.

• "In God we trust" should never have been put on money
    • "One nation under God" should never have been placed in the pledge of allegiance

They will "Espouse" their belief in religious freedoms and stated "How dare the Democrats challenge her religion" ... however, we all know if it was a Democratic nomination of a Muslim, they wouldn't do anything BUT ATTACK their religion as an affront to American values and beliefs.

Hypocritical double standards abound.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some of the non-insane Notre Dame alums have to be pretty angry right now. First they have their president attending a political sham event and getting covid.

Then they have their former faculty member outed as a repressive Luddite who is against women's rights, same sex couples rights, and also takes money from hate groups. Oh, and being okay with the hypocrisy of her nomination. OH...and her boss paying off adult film starts and cheating on his wives.

But yeah, she's a GREAT Catholic. One of the best!

I'd friggin' LOVE to see one of the Democrats ask her how much time she plans to spend raising her SEVEN children while serving the nation. Doesn't she see that as a conflict of interest?

My wife completely turned against her when she found out she commutes about 3 hours a day and has seven kids. My wife works ~35 hours a week, commutes about 35 minutes when she is going to her office, and we barely have enough time on weekdays to spend with our two children. Yet...she's clearly showing off those 7 kids as if she's some All-Star Mommy. Maybe if she's a physicist in her spare time and has figured out how to bend time and add hours to each day...

Good lord, what a smug, hypocritical, falsely religious Ms. A-Hole Amy is, a "perfect" choice for Don.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast