Assignment - Photos that changed your view of the world (disturbing photos inside)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 busy workin' 2 hang out

Assignment - Photos that changed your view of the world (disturbing photos inside)

(moderator editorial warning, some of these images are potentially disturbing, scroll no further if that bothers you.)

Good, bad, ugly or all of the three, post them here.

I expect some good shots when I check back in next weekend.
    Dictated but not read.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    My dinner just turned to ashes in my mouth. That's just a really emotionally affecting photo. So, so horrible.

I don't think I could even hope to match that for impact.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Palm trees & sunshine!
    This one...

Last edited by KenB; 01-13-2008 at 08:27 PM.

supervillain

Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    My dinner just turned to ashes in my mouth. That's just a really emotionally affecting photo. So, so horrible.

I don't think I could even hope to match that for impact.
    I don't know what it says about me but it may be my favorite photo as it just hits you so powerfully. More to the sad story here: http://www.thisisyesterday.com/ints/KCarter.html.

The pics don't have to be as severe as this but I'm interested in what everyone comes up with.
    Dictated but not read.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Mai Lai....public 1969

Kent State Shootings1970

These two changed me from a naieve High School student to someone that recognized what abuse of power and checks and balances were.

Len
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    This one...

Ken:

Picture is not showing up.

Len

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

[QUOTE=Henry Porter](moderator editorial warning, some of these images are potentially disturbing, scroll no further if that bothers you.)

What the??? This represents the world in which we live, allowing people to stick their heads in the sand is ridiculous. This ran in the New York Times for pete's sake!!!!!
    Dictated but not read.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    [QUOTE=Henry Porter]
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    (moderator editorial warning, some of these images are potentially disturbing, scroll no further if that bothers you.)

What the??? This represents the world in which we live, allowing people to stick their heads in the sand is ridiculous. This ran in the New York Times for pete's sake!!!!!
    Well, I agree that the thread title really ought to be warning enough, but I wouldn't get all exercised about it--they just tried to move it below the fold to give people a second chance to turn back. At least it wasn't modded out of existence, which could easily happen to controversial or troubling imagery.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    HenryP,

Perhaps as an MD, somewhere down the road, you may remember this photo and be moved to do some work in a place such as this photo depicts.

I spent a session in Sudan, and this is real and it's now. I remember and I hope I never forget.

Thanks for posting.

[QUOTE=bikeboy389]
    Well, I agree that the thread title really ought to be warning enough, but I wouldn't get all exercised about it--they just tried to move it below the fold to give people a second chance to turn back. At least it wasn't modded out of existence, which could easily happen to controversial or troubling imagery.
    Yeah, you're right. It's just highly ironic that the people that will shy away from this are exactly the people who need to see it.
    Dictated but not read.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    HenryP,

Perhaps as an MD, somewhere down the road, you may remember this photo and be moved to do some work in a place such as this photo depicts.

I spent a session in Sudan, and this is real and it's now. I remember and I hope I never forget.

Thanks for posting.
    I plan to do so in the future, just when is in doubt.
    Dictated but not read.

Game on, b*tches!
    Len. I saw that 2nd photo as a kid in HS. I almost forgot about it. (But was sadly reminded of similar atrocities after watching "The Killing Fields".) You'd THINK that after so many yrs and so many lives that we as a people would not allow this type of thing to happen again. But it still does. Sadly....
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

Windrider (Stubborn)
    [quote=Henry Porter]

True that........

I was literally sick when I first saw it. Look magazine. It stripped away any innocence I had. Atrocities like this went from something I knew about to something I felt.

Len

S2H
    wut?
    Alex, make that kid an apple pancake.

S2H
    wut?
    I think this one is pretty amazing>>>

I've photoshopped so many different faces onto that guy.

a jumped up pantry boy

I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
    And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
    And in short, I was afraid.

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    The first one left a profound impression on me as a high schooler, although the second changed my views much more significantly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (17.3 KB, 322 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (79.8 KB, 329 views)
    Last edited by lemonlime; 01-13-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Another one for me. This introduced a farm kid to the good sides of international life.

Dictated but not read.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Another one for me. This introduced a farm kid to the good sides of international life.

Is that cocaine on his nose?

Len

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    Ken:

Picture is not showing up.

Len

Thanks.... it was showing up for me. I fixed it, I hope.

supervillain

Haha. Still, it introduced me to professional soccer which led me to all kinds of international interests. Amazing what a picture can do to a person.
    Dictated but not read.

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    This one...

I poasted that first, numbnuts.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    I poasted that first, numbnuts.

Not. My linky was just so special, it didn't want to share.

supervillain

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    [quote=Henry Porter]
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389

Yeah, you're right. It's just highly ironic that the people that will shy away from this are exactly the people who need to see it.
    Run a little further with this thought please, because at first glance it seems you're playing thought police for the world.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

I actually wrote it (first). My thought was/is that those who want to stick their head in the sand and ignore the world's problems are exactly the ones who need to see these pictures. These (disturbing) pictures are honest. They show the world in which we live, to deny it by ignoring it does a disservice to those photographers who take these shots, risk their lives to show us what humanity is capable of.

None of these pictures are gratuitous (that was my pathology lecture this past Monday) but rather are teaching tools. If you have a problem with the message it's your responsibility to try and fix the world so whomever changed my thread did those individuals a disservice. Most of these pictures were shown on major media outlets. If that's playing the thought police, then I have no problem with that.

I'm off to bed and won't be back until next weekend (maybe) so don't expect me to respond. It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with 30 some lectures followed by a massively important quiz...
    Dictated but not read.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast