Baby Vaccines
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby Vaccines

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Baby Vaccines

We are having conversations on baby vaccines. We have concerns about giving our daughter some of the vacs especially some of the multiple vacs that have heavy aluminum levels and potential metal toxicity or some of the 5 in 1 shots that have formaldehyde and dead fetal tissue???

For president!
    Whatever you do, listen to Jenny McCarthy. She is an authority on modern medicine.

In all seriousness, listen to your doctor...
    Formidable Pharmacologically

AIE
    midnight melon mounter
    Quote Originally Posted by SilasCL
    Whatever you do, listen to Jenny McCarthy. She is an authority on modern medicine.

In all seriousness, listen to your doctor...
    Don't let them talk you into the strychnine booster.

waterproof*
    trust your government. they have your best interests at heart.
    * not actually a Rock Star

MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Better yet, don't get the vaccines because it is all a 'government conspiracy'...if you decide to not get the vaccines, then don't take them to the doctor when they get sick - because they are part of the conspiracy.

that ain't chamois cream
    OK lookit:

1) A hundred years ago kids died regularly from stuff that these vaccines prevent. And by regularly I mean, plagues that kill millions of kids. Today these diseases are non-existent. Like, the reason you don't know what whooping cough is is because vaccinations have made it pretty much non-existent in developed nations.

B) when parents start to decide that vaccines are "too dangerous" to give to their kids, their kids start catching diseases like mumps and measles, pass them along to other kids, pregnant women (in which these diseases cause birth defects), and generally make the whole community sick. In the UK, this is starting to become a major problem again.

third) the government/drug company/phone cops are not putting stuff in vaccines to kill your kid. Go to a reliable resource, ask questions, and educate yourself. Start with a Google search for "vaccines fetal tissue".

also) your doctor's not looking to kill your kid. Nor is she/he gonna get a sweet payday from some drug company for convincing you to vaccinate your kid. They're recommending this because they went to med school, have seen the kinds of stuff that preventable diseases do to kids, and have come to the determination that these vaccine things save lives.
    One Less Fixie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    having been witness to medicine up close through occupation, I don't believe everything I'm told or everything that is sold to patients but, I thought someone might be able to share something I'm not aware of in relation to vaccines. Hence why I asked here - you never know when or where you might find helpful information

sooooooooooo if you have something aside from humor to share, I'd love to hear it!

thx!

xploshin
    Quote Originally Posted by MontyCrisco
    OK lookit:

1) A hundred years ago kids died regularly from stuff that these vaccines prevent. And by regularly I mean, plagues that kill millions of kids. Today these diseases are non-existent. Like, the reason you don't know what whooping cough is is because vaccinations have made it pretty much non-existent in developed nations.

B) when parents start to decide that vaccines are "too dangerous" to give to their kids, their kids start catching diseases like mumps and measles, pass them along to other kids, pregnant women (in which these diseases cause birth defects), and generally make the whole community sick. In the UK, this is starting to become a major problem again.

third) the government/drug company/phone cops are not putting stuff in vaccines to kill your kid. Go to a reliable resource, ask questions, and educate yourself. Start with a Google search for "vaccines fetal tissue".

also) your doctor's not looking to kill your kid. Nor is she/he gonna get a sweet payday from some drug company for convincing you to vaccinate your kid. They're recommending this because they went to med school, have seen the kinds of stuff that preventable diseases do to kids, and have come to the determination that these vaccine things save lives.
    +1

ab aeterno
    There is no evidence linking vaccination with autism. The only study done was shown to be very flawed and all authors except the lead author pulled their name. The only reason people think there is a connection is because vaccinations happen around the same time signs of autism appear.

BTW, most vaccines aren't meant to protect your kid, but the kids and adults that are immune compromised and could die very easily from these diseases. If everyone else is vaccinated its hard for these people to get these diseases. You're not just doing it to help yourself, but to help others as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CARBON110
    We are having conversations on baby vaccines. We have concerns about giving our daughter some of the vacs especially some of the multiple vacs that have heavy aluminum levels and potential metal toxicity or some of the 5 in 1 shots that have formaldehyde and dead fetal tissue???
    dont buy the anti-vaccine crap. every major study that has looked at these issues has debunked the speculation. the people that study this are not trying to harm children and are not trying to hide negative consequences. look at the studies and understand the science before you take the word of crackpots.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by CARBON110
    ...or some of the 5 in 1 shots that have formaldehyde and dead fetal tissue???
    I read that as "fecal tissue."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    glad you feel that way

having been privy to the practice of medicine it is anything but exact science. Certainly the treatment usually outweighs the risks, at least for a majority of the population.

I'm considering more than that and looking for more information. I am processing research and information. I know there are many new parents here on RBR who should be considering the same and I thought perhaps someone might have had more than a dismissive " I'll just trust what I'm told " approach.

Not all med schools are created equal, nor are doctors, nor are treatments

I'm looking for more info.

got any?

aside from conspiracy theories, I'm looking for what time tables people are using, if they are having difficulty asking for vaccines to be broken up, if the weight of their baby was a consideration, and much more details and specifics

I'm sure you're aware that many vaccines actually have potential devastating effects to infants and kids right? I mean you knew that right, before stating your comments above?

I'm not Jenny McCarthy ( although I will assume you have read her book before making haughty incredulous comments because, well she is Jenny McCarthy right? what could she know you don't right? )

I don't need to be lectured, I'm soliciting information not broad general beliefs from someone who doesn't sound like a parent

15% of babies have a standard side effect from the DTaP vaccine alone - you know, just for an example

so if you have some personal experience regarding vaccines and your kids or similar great!

glad you have such faith in the medical field, you don't sound like you've ever been a patient or worked in medicine/health care. most people see the medical field just like you, then they find out at the worst time that doctors and hospitals are no different than say your average office department - some people are better at their jobs or received better training, some people love their work some people just collect a check, some people care to much some people don't care enough, some people did enough work just to pass others are more thorough

back to vaccines

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I'm not anti vaccine by any means, just collecting information. I have concerns. I am a new dad and I have been involved in the field of autism for 16 years. I have no interest in pursuing the autism/vaccine debate here. I have my own convictions defined by my own experiences in the field. I have also been involved with health care, deeply and almost regrettably though I am not a cynic.

I'm just collecting information and like I said, I know there are new parents here so I'm curious how they feel too

I am a little surprised by the lack of critical thought that perhaps not all but at least some truth can be found in questioning some vaccines and the epidemic that is autism

Collin's Dad
    We were first time parents 13mo ago and wondered the same thing. We decided to try and play slightly "safer" and do a mildly altered scheduled basically to avoid a whole bunch of shots at once. That said, my kid was dx'd w/ acute myelogenous leukemia at 7mo and a stem cell (bone marrow) transplant at 12mo and is extremely immune compromised. He'll be able to resume vaccinations after 1year post transplant assuming no complications. Guess what I'm going to do when that 1 year comes up and we can start doing again? Following the doc's advice for whatever he thinks is best for my son.

No I don't think you are crazy for considering alternative vaccination schedules, but I do think you should stay somewhat on schedule for the health of the community and others around you in addition to the health of your child. Better living through pharmaceuticals.

Hermia commutes
    My friend's baby was 4 weeks early due to pre-eclampsya. They delayed some of his initial vaccines (I do not remember which ones) because he was quite small. They had him pretty much caught up by the time he was a year old, although I do believe there is one that they skipped entirely.

I have another friend who is deeply skeptical of western medicine as it is routinely delivered, and had a home birth as a result. Not surprisingly, she was quite leery about the vaccine schedule presented by her pediatrician. But when she asked about the risk/benefits, she ended up getting just about all of the vaccines recommended. She just wasn't comfortable with the risk of not vaccinating her child. She, too, went with a slightly delayed schedule because her child is small, but she went with them.

I'm not a parent, I wouldn't understand, etc, but the two people I know who do not like the medical-industrial complex have ended up going with the vaccines, especially those that most protect everyone. (Rubella being the most socially important to get due to the birth defects problem mentioned above.)

ymmv, hth, etc.

For president!
    Here's an abstract that sounds good: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17471032

Just my perspective, but a lot of new parents overreact and feel they need to protect their kids from everything. The critical thought has been done, there is no credible scientific research showing a risk for vaccines. If you don't believe in science...then do what you want.
    Formidable Pharmacologically

RoadBikeReview Member
    I totally hear you!!... Having inherited a son with autism and then with the birth of my own 2 daughters and not knowing what "causes" Autism, I was leary as well. I think that caution is thrown to the wind when there are vaccinations made "on schedule" and the child has had some difficutlies along the way-- either during pregnancy, while being born or shortly after. As a concerned parent, I am not convinced that every infant has an immune system strong enough to handle the vaccines. I agree that vaccines are important, but I think the overall health should also be considered. Our youngest was born with pneumonia along with some other complications at birth. There was no way I was keeping her on the recommended schedule, nor was I allowing for Batch shots. I expressed my concerns to my pediatrician and they agreed that it woudl be acceptable for her to have them broken up and more spaced out. It allowed us to monitor her development and identify if there were any significant side effects. I hate it when people say "such and such doesn't cause Austism"... because we can't specifically pinpoint exactly what it is that does. Something's causing it.... but that's a whole nother thread in and of itself...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Read the Dr Sears vaccination book. It gives an objective look at every vaccination on the CDC list. Very informative and really helps you make your own decisions. Also, he suggests an alternative schedule. We chose to give our son the minimal vaccinations. HIB and DTaP only so far. Probably MMR after he turns one. We have the healthiest little boy on the planet and we attribute it to natural childbirth, limited vaccinations and good genes (of course).

I'm in no way trying to sway you to do it my way, just passing on our decision and the way we arrived there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    i'd be a lot more concerned about nutrition. vaccine paranoia is barking up the wrong tree.

banned
    Jan 2004
    What Monty Crisco said. I practiced medicine, of a crude and basic sort, in a part of the world where vaccines were almost unknown and there was no access to anybody but me and others with my rudimentary training. We saw people die every week who could easily have been saved, who never would have gotten sick, if they'd had even the "modern" care of the 1960s.
    In a related matter, I'm staggered at the thought of the level of ignorance it takes to believe the crap circulating on the Interwebs about vaccines. Apparently the first hurdle is accepting the idea either that every health professional on Earth is wrong or that they're all part of the same murderous conspiracy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    My wife is a lot more worried about the vaccinations than I am, but we have gone ahead and given all the recommended vaccines to our daughter, albeit we did spread them out more than the Dr originally wanted to. That seemed to make my wife happier.

This goes right to the point someone else made about reading on the internet. There would be several articles with say one potential risk, and with a lot of evidence contrary to links to complications, but the only thing my wife saw was the risk. Interesting reading comprehension. 9 good outcomes 1 bad, and remember the bad. Hmm seems a lot like my last performance review at work...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    The people who do not get their kids immunized are morons, plain and simple. They probably shouldn't have children, as their decision making skills are poor, at best.
    There's ZERO link between immunizations and ANY 'disorder' or disease. If you listen to Jenny McCarthy, you should be sterilized!
    These morons are the same people that would scream from the mountaintops and sue EVERYBODY if their little un-immunized linthead actually got one of the PREVENTABLE diseases they should have gotten shots for in the first place.

And shut up about autism. True, some kids have issues...a smattering of them are serious. Not every kid that seems odd, or walks/talks/pees/poops/claps/winks/etc. late is autistic.
    Simple genetics cannot be overcome. It's the nature of the beast. Parents who have room temperature IQs produce like offspring.

It's just another nail in the coffin of common sense!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Well, you certainly seem to have an opinion.

You are missing a few key points--- as a parent of young kids (youngest is 4 months old), this is what happens:

1. Parent takes kid in for vaccines.
    2. Some stranger pokes baby with a big needle.
    3. Baby cries
    4. Parent feels bad
    5. Kid gets sick later that day with a fever--- and is generally very uncomfortable.
    6. Parent thinks "that isn't normal"--- must be something serious in that needle
    7. Parent feel guilty about feverish baby all night long, and worries about what is really going on

Of course, it is normal for the kid to have a fever--- that is how kids develop antibodies to all the nasties out there in the world. But it sucks to go through it, and it does cause one to question what mysterious substance was in that needle.

Secondly, there have been enough cases of complete medical quackery to warrant questioning the realities of what is going on. In my case, I believe vaccinations here in Europe are perfectly safe. In the US, I would want more info. Not that long ago they used live polio in polio vaccinations--- and it actually place PARENTS at risk.

Also, there are statistical issues--- that some kids WILL have very bad reactions to certain vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    The people who do not get their kids immunized are morons, plain and simple. They probably shouldn't have children, as their decision making skills are poor, at best.
    There's ZERO link between immunizations and ANY 'disorder' or disease. If you listen to Jenny McCarthy, you should be sterilized!
    These morons are the same people that would scream from the mountaintops and sue EVERYBODY if their little un-immunized linthead actually got one of the PREVENTABLE diseases they should have gotten shots for in the first place.

And shut up about autism. True, some kids have issues...a smattering of them are serious. Not every kid that seems odd, or walks/talks/pees/poops/claps/winks/etc. late is autistic.
    Simple genetics cannot be overcome. It's the nature of the beast. Parents who have room temperature IQs produce like offspring.

It's just another nail in the coffin of common sense!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Is your child using a homebrew or one of the commercially available chain lubes?

Also, while I understand that your child is still very young, have they shown any inclination on whether they will choose shimano or campagnolo?

You are soliciting advice on medical treatment on an internet bike forum. What does your auto mechanic feel about the whole vaccination issue? Perhaps you should also solicit their advice before making any hasty decisions.

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz
    You are soliciting advice on medical treatment on an internet bike forum. What does your auto mechanic feel about the whole vaccination issue? Perhaps you should also solicit their advice before making any hasty decisions.
    This isn't your LBS, goofball...it's a discussion forum for people who ride bikes, not shop monkeys. Of these people, there are several individuals in the medical profession who just might have some sort of idea what they're talking about. People like dr hoo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast