Black/White voting gap disappeared in 2008
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jaded bitter joy crusher

Black/White voting gap disappeared in 2008

From NY Times:
    The historic gap between blacks and whites in voter participation evaporated in last year’s presidential race, according to an analysis released today, with black, Hispanic and Asian voters comprising nearly a quarter of the electorate, setting a record.

The analysis, by the Pew Research Center, also found that for the first time, black women turned out at a higher rate than any other racial, ethnic and gender group.
    Interesting considering the degree of concern (or paranoia) on the left about ID laws and disenfranchisement.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

COMER
    Jan 2009
    It also illustrates that their vote was based on race, great, not ability, but race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Comer
    It also illustrates that their vote was based on race, great, not ability, but race.
    How does it do this?

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb
    How does it do this?
    I love it when you're intentionally obtuse! Sends me into spasms of giggles.
    * not actually a Rock Star

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Same holds for the white male vote, or is it only bad when black people do it?

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke

Not just blacks... browns, yellows, Muslims, Jews, hermaphrodites, transvestites, gays and commies too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know where you're coming from with this, but it's impossible to make that assumption at this point. When/if there is another election with no minority candidate we can compare the voting numbers during that election to this one and make a comparison.

Until you have a vote to contrast against it's just supposition.

(though if I had to hazard a guess I'd say you've got better than even odds of being correct)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chs4
    I know where you're coming from with this, but it's impossible to make that assumption at this point. When/if there is another election with no minority candidate we can compare the voting numbers during that election to this one and make a comparison.

Until you have a vote to contrast against it's just supposition.

(though if I had to hazard a guess I'd say you've got better than even odds of being correct)
    Now those are words of wisdom, and I am not kidding. However, instead of waiting for the next election to compare numbers, why can't you compare the numbers from the previous election when it was Bush v. Kerry?

There are a lot of issues here. More people could have turned out because of the state of the economy, the war in Iraq, and the rest of the issues with Bush. People that might not have ever cared might have just been fed up enough to start caring.

And then there is the possibility that this country is still divided amongst race and more whites showed up at the polls this election to vote against Obama and more blacks showed up at the polls this election to vote in favor of Obama just because of race. Some of the interviews that I heard regarding the actual issues were utterly hilarious. Some voters were asked how they felt about their candidate's stance on certain issues, and they pretty much agreed with every stance, not knowing that the interviewer had swapped the position with the true position that the candidate was taking. In essence, the voter had no clue about the issues and could really care less. That is what is really frightening.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I love it when you're intentionally obtuse!
    I think you need some new material.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

yeah, because al sharpton, alan keyes and michael steele were so popular with black voters.

How I wished during those sleepless hours that I belonged to a different nation, or better still, to none at all.....- W.G. Sebald

RoadBikeReview Member

It's all good.

So the prospects of electing the first black president got lots more blacks out to vote, great! They'll be able to tell their grandchildren their votes made the difference. The very fact they now have a brother in the White House is exerting a sea change on their consciousness. Finally, they belong

Here's their guy stepping up to lead a country bled by greed and excess, correcting the wrongs with wit, candor, intelligence, and remarkable dexterity and speed, given the democratic power structure he must work with. And his wife! A familiar presence in every neighborhood, until now invisible to whites! Fitting that black women turned out in superior percentages than any other group.

So it may be about race, but it's also about alot more, equality, absolution, respect, confidence. The country is finally seeing what African-Americans have experienced all along. The color barrier has fallen. Some white folks, complacent in their superiority, are blinded by the light.

Last edited by Fredrico; 04-30-2009 at 04:49 PM.

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I love it when you're intentionally obtuse! Sends me into spasms of giggles.
    The sad thing is, you're being unintentionally obtuse.

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by FondriestFan
    The sad thing is, you're being unintentionally obtuse.
    It's a good thing I'm feeling mellow or I might think both Creaky and you are getting personal around here. As it is, I will have another beer and trust that both of you will stop with the mud.

May 2005
    It's a good thing I'm feeling mellow or I might think both Creaky and you are getting personal around here. As it is, I will have another beer and trust that both of you will stop with the mud.
    It's a deal.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by bricoleur

yeah, because al sharpton, alan keyes and michael steele were so popular with black voters.

They are also opportunistic f*ckheads (more so than the typical politician). That has no racial boundary when it comes to turning people off.

supervillain

banned
    Jun 2008
    Fredke
    I sit here in amazement at the above posts! Are PO posters simple too ignorant to understand the point of creaks' post or are we just pretending to be really stupid? I realize that it is not PC to acknowledge that you are aware that black folks voted for BO by an overwhelming majority while white folks were substantially split. Have the attackers of his post become so indoctrinated that the obvious is always superceded by political correctness?

Do these folks make any attempt to stay in touch with reality?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo
    Fredke
    I sit here in amazement at the above posts! Are PO posters simple too ignorant to understand the point of creaks' post or are we just pretending to be really stupid? I realize that it is not PC to acknowledge that you are aware that black folks voted for BO by an overwhelming majority while white folks were substantially split. Have the attackers of his post become so indoctrinated that the obvious is always superceded by political correctness?

Swift,

You have to realize that only white people can be racists. Nobody from another race can be called a racist because they have a "right" to carry the chip on their shoulder. Just in case it is missed, there is sarcasm in there.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member

Ok:

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo
    ...realize that it is not PC to acknowledge that you are aware that black folks voted for BO by an overwhelming majority while white folks were substantially split. Have the attackers of his post become so indoctrinated that the obvious is always superceded by political correctness?

Comer said the overwhelmingly black vote for Obama was based on "race, NOT ABILITY." That's what raised the eyebrows of the negaive responders.

If you were paying attention, it was overwhelmingly obvious Obama had smarts, political acumen, organizational skills, and a platform of ideas, far out-classing his opponents. This was rewarded by money flowing into his war chest from a record number of people. I voted for him, almost everyone voted for him, because he was the obvious great choice to get this country out of its doldrums. It was just fortunate he also happened to be black. That was something else both blacks and whites could feel good about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Never mind that blacks tend to be less split than whites along the republican/democrat divide regardless of the candidates color. It must be because they're racist.
    Last edited by coreyb; 04-30-2009 at 07:56 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    Swift,

You have to realize that only white people can be racists. Nobody from another race can be called a racist because they have a "right" to carry the chip on their shoulder. Just in case it is missed, there is sarcasm in there.
    I had a tough drill sergeant back in basic, in the 60s, in Georgia, where MLK was creating major political unrest striking down segregation laws and voting prohibitions. If there was a black man with a chip on his shoulder, this was the man.

But you know, the one time I got close to him one night on guard duty, he opened up like a father. We had a great discussion about everything, life, love, family, politics. After that, I had huge respect for him. His terse behavior, aside from being required of him as a drill sergeant, was also a protective mechanism to keep him sane in daily life. Next time you deal with such a person, show respect as you would your friend, and see how quickly this "chip" softens up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb
    Never mind that blacks tend to be less split than whites along the republican/democrat divide regardless of the candidates color. It must be because they're racist.
    The difference is that a lot more of them came out to vote for Obama versus Kerry in the previous election. As I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, it could be for a myriad of reasons, but I would hesitate to say that not a single one of the black voters that came out to vote for Obama, who didn't come out to vote for Kerry, didn't come out to vote for Obama just because Obama is black.

Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    The difference is that a lot more of them came out to vote for Obama versus Kerry in the previous election.
    Which is a fair enough assessment. But let's compare that to other things being said, like
    black folks voted for BO by an overwhelming majority while white folks were substantially split.
    This doesn't appear to be about turnout, but actual choice within the voting booth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure where you guys live but it was race motivated in the South.
    I have voted in every election, local, state and federal for more than 20 years.
    When I arrived at the polls I was one of five white people out of at least 150 blacks.
    The folks around me admitted that it was the first time they had ever voted. Some were in their 30's others in their 60's.

Not Banned

cause how a black man

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico
    Comer said the overwhelmingly black vote for Obama was based on "race, NOT ABILITY." That's what raised the eyebrows of the negaive responders.

If you were paying attention, it was overwhelmingly obvious Obama had smarts, political acumen, organizational skills, and a platform of ideas, far out-classing his opponents. This was rewarded by money flowing into his war chest from a record number of people. I voted for him, almost everyone voted for him, because he was the obvious great choice to get this country out of its doldrums. It was just fortunate he also happened to be black. That was something else both blacks and whites could feel good about.
    knocked over a political dynasty in the primary and the Con Machine in the general was all about his race. Oh wait, black voters don't make up the majority of voters in this country

maybe, just maybe, he won because he was better than the rest, he delivered his message the best and his tone resonated with the majority of Americans the best
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie
    knocked over a political dynasty in the primary and the Con Machine in the general was all about his race. Oh wait, black voters don't make up the majority of voters in this country

maybe, just maybe, he won because he was better than the rest, he delivered his message the best and his tone resonated with the majority of Americans the best
    Maybe, just maybe, he won because of a combination of things. One being that he was better than the rest, another being racism, etc. I think I remember people on here worried that he wouldn't get elected because of the Bradley effect, or something in that regard. Could it be that we had the very opposite of that? There are a lot of reasons that he got elected. If he had totally alienated the white voters, he wouldn't have been elected. If the black voters hadn't come out in mass, he also might not have been elected. Who really knows.

All I know is that I have been labeled a racist on this board a couple of times because I am a white guy whose parents were born in Italy that wants a Made in Italy frame and Made in Italy components in lieu of Made in Asia frames and parts. It seems as though it is very easy for people to throw out the racist label when the person is white, but hardly anybody stops stops to think that racism can occur in other races. How about the speech at the inauguration by the minister where he said "white will do what is right". I know that ruffled a few feathers, but nobody dared call him a racist.

For us to completely ignore that some of the black voters only voted for Obama because of race would be to close our eyes to the issue. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that at least one white voter got up off the couch for this election to vote for McCain just because Obama is black.

I cannot wait for race to be a non-issue in this country. We might finally get there in another generation or two.

Bikes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast