Calculated Risk: Economy is looking good for 2013 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcufrog02 View Post
    What entitlements is he receiving each month?
    I receive a SS check and an annuity from the company I worked for each month. Now in each case I followed the rules set up by the two systems, I worked, paid into each system and fullfilled the rules set up by administrators of those systems. I'm a tit sucker, taking unfair advantage of the poor young working folks to most here, at least on the SS side of it. All of them are willing to go to war to protect the benefits I'm entitled to from the corporate entity I worked for. I don't really understand the anger at the one side and the complete acceptance of the other. They are very similar plans, very similar annuities but one is private and the other is public. Both are based on my earnings and what I paid into them. These payouts are a burden to both entities. They are both also owed to me by the terms of the contracts I followed.

Strange.

banned
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb View Post
    Enough to return growth in the money supply back to(or at least near) trend. It flows through normal channels, and stimulates the economy both by meeting demand for safe assets and in affecting the expectations channel. Results would be a noticeable increase in nominal spending moving back toward trend
    You're right, its contentless partisanship. I was just trying to be polite
    That sounds like a typical gov program - it hasn't been working because not enough money was spent/invested/printed ??

How much additional money do you think needs to be printed ??

banned
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
    I receive a SS check and an annuity from the company I worked for each month. Now in each case I followed the rules set up by the two systems, I worked, paid into each system and fullfilled the rules set up by administrators of those systems. I'm a tit sucker, taking unfair advantage of the poor young working folks to most here, at least on the SS side of it. All of them are willing to go to war to protect the benefits I'm entitled to from the corporate entity I worked for. I don't really understand the anger at the one side and the complete acceptance of the other. They are very similar plans, very similar annuities but one is private and the other is public. Both are based on my earnings and what I paid into them. These payouts are a burden to both entities. They are both also owed to me by the terms of the contracts I followed.

Strange.
    Not strange at all - typical of the DEMO Doublethink.

Also don't forget that we have paid into these systems with after tax dollars and are taxed again on the payouts. Another DEMO "good idea."

This is what I really don't understand about the resistance to reform SS and Medicare. There are complaints about those of us who have contributed and are now receiving the benefits but accusations of reducing those benefits when reforms which don't affect us but ensure the viability of the programs for our kids and grandkids.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by AM999 View Post
    That sounds like a typical gov program - it hasn't been working because not enough money was spent/invested/printed ??
    Yes, you've said this before. It's not a very thoughtful response, because lots of things in regular life are like this too. And, as I've pointed out repeatedly, it fails to deal with what is being said at all. It's funny, you insist that the other study was building on Friedman but here you not only reject Friedman but do so because you clearly don't have a clue what he was saying

Why don't you take the time to learn the basics of monetary theory first and then rejoin the conversation?
    How much additional money do you think needs to be printed ??
    I've answered this several times already. But you can't comprehend that the money supply hasn't actually exploded and that inflation isn't actually high because that doesn't fit with your very shallow beliefs about monetary policy, so we keep circling back to the same questions

banned
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb View Post
    Yes, you've said this before. It's not a very thoughtful response, because lots of things in regular life are like this too. And, as I've pointed out repeatedly, it fails to deal with what is being said at all. It's funny, you insist that the other study was building on Friedman but here you not only reject Friedman but do so because you clearly don't have a clue what he was saying

Why don't you take the time to learn the basics of monetary theory first and then rejoin the conversation?
    I've answered this several times already. But you can't comprehend that the money supply hasn't actually exploded and that inflation isn't actually high because that doesn't fit with your very shallow beliefs about monetary policy, so we keep circling back to the same questions
    Actually in real "business" life a course of action is decided upon with a goal, schedule, and some intermediate milestones. After each milestone per the schedule is achieved (or not) the program progress and budget is reviewed and a decision on whether to proceed is made. This is not often done in the world of the government - a course of action is decided upon and money is spent until the government players change.

Once again no answer but only some hurtful words and complaints about lack of understanding of the "Theory of Money" and some point about Milton Friedman and real inflation.

I'll ask again - what policy differences between what Bernanke has done in QE1, QE2, and the ongoing QE3 do you suggest ?? How much money in your opinion is needed ?? What quantitative indicators do you propose for determining the effectiveness of the policy ?? Maybe someone else can pipe in and explain this as you do not seem willing to do so ??

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Compared to one year ago, the Dow is up 15.5% and the S&P 500 is up 12.6%, while gold is only up 3.3%. All of this suggests that the markets' outlook on the economy is significantly rosier than it was a year ago.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Actually in real "business" life a course of action is decided upon with a goal, schedule, and some intermediate milestones. After each milestone per the schedule is achieved (or not) the program progress and budget is reviewed and a decision on whether to proceed is made. This is not often done in the world of the government - a course of action is decided upon and money is spent until the government players change.
    Great, so you can offer up some commentary which isn't at all relevant.
    Once again no answer but only some hurtful words and complaints about lack of understanding of the "Theory of Money" and some point about Milton Friedman and real inflation.
    Yep. So long as you ignore the answers I have offered and demonstrate ignorance on the topic there really isn't need to go further. I'm sorry if it hurts you that I point out that you are uninformed, but that's how it is
    I'll ask again - what policy differences between what Bernanke has done in QE1, QE2, and the ongoing QE3 do you suggest ??
    I'll point again to the work of Friedman and even Bernanke's work on Japan in the 90s. QE3 is closer in that it works toward influencing the expectations channel more deliberately and recognizes the need for ongoing action to work toward a goal, but fails to lay out explicit measurable goals. I'd also prefer a planned increase in monthly purchases(say 10% greater each month) rather than constant level
    How much money in your opinion is needed ??
    I'm not sure why the concept of "increase the money supply" is so difficult for you. Perhaps you can explain what part of it you don't understand
    What quantitative indicators do you propose for determining the effectiveness of the policy ??
    I've already explicitly answered this. Are you just not reading my posts? do you not understand what nominal spending is? Or do you not comprehend what moving back toward the trend means?
    Maybe someone else can pipe in and explain this as you do not seem willing to do so ??
    As noted above, I have answered these questions(in some cases repeatedly). The problem seems to be that you are so unfamiliar with the topic that you can't even recognize what constitutes an answer to the questions. That's why I advised learning before attempting to discuss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123